The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-08-2013, 10:11 PM
Serene Highness

I wear a cross and I'm an Anglican. I agree most Anglicans don't wear a crucifix but I know many who wear a cross.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke-of-Earl View Post
But if the entire country is moving away from religion and particularly the Church of England, what mileage and what political points does Catherine score for wearing a cross. I personally believe she is a religious person and you obviously don't
Agree to disagree.
I am not saying Catherine is not a person of faith, I am just saying sometimes a cross is just a piece of jewellery just like a cigar is just a cigar.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:18 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
Maybe none at all. Wearing a cross seems to be a trendy thing for young people these days. It might vary from diocese to diocese, but in my family, wearing a cross was seen as a Catholic thing to do, not something Anglicans did.
Well, could be. But from what I recall, Kate wears a very simple, unobtrusive cross - kind of the thing someone gets on their confirmation. The trendy crosses these days tend to be more ostentatious. I have a funky pink one I wear from time to time, and I have an Irish celtic necklace that looks like a rosary. They're trendy. Again, it's the simplicity of the piece that suggests she's religious. I find it odd that someone in her position would wear such important symbolism during a royal duty if she were not sending a signal to the world of her religious sentiment.

Again, I don't mind if she's religious or an atheist going through the motions. I am trying to look at her as objectively as possible.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:29 PM
Royal Highness

Personally, I think that separation of monarch from church will be a difficult think for Britain, and commonwealth nations. Nobody believes in Divine Right, but still, the separation is part of a slippery slope towards the ordinary. For monarchy to survive, the must maintain the illusion of extraordinary. They are ordinary people, but they must live extraordinary lives.

The British royal family to me has always embodied stability and tradition. I think it's tradition in Britain, as it is in many places, to get upon on Sunday and go off to church in your spiffy clothing. There's many a non-believer who does it, believe it or not, recognizing that tradition, continuity and comfort that comes with attending church and a sense of belonging, a sense of national unity.

Even if the majority of Brits sleep in on Sunday, I think they still want to see the Queen (or the King) get up and go to church. The monarch sets the example. The example here is the importance of family life, tradition and all of the niceties that make up a routine.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:34 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Catherine has been photographed many times wearing a cross. I think the couple take their Anglican faith very seriously.
So seriously that Catherine was not even confirmed until she got engaged to Prince William.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:36 PM
Serene Highness

How does that question a person faith? We don't know the circumstances around her confirmation.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Well even if the CofE were disestablished there would be nothing to stop the monarch from getting up on Sunday and going to Church.
It is also possible that even if the church were to be disestablsihed she could not take it on as some sort of patronage rather like the RSPCA or any of her other patronages and presidencies that are not part of her state role if she wished and the CofE synod wished it.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:38 PM
Majesty

The religious issue is moot in Australia as we already have separation of Church and State.

As for Kate wearing a cross as a sign that she has a deep faith - hardly - she only got confirmed a couple of weeks before the wedding and I doubt that she would even have considered to that if she was going to marry anyone else by William. It is an affectation - not a sign of faith in my opinion. I see no evidence of any faith with her at all - or from William.

The only members of the RF I think are committed to their faith are The Queen, Philip (although more to Orthodox than CoE although he will remain CoE as long as The Queen lives but if he outlives her I wouldn't be surprised to see him revert to the faith of his birth), Charles and Camilla. None of the others strike me as having any real faith at all - they attend church because it is the 'done thing' for the royals to go to church on Sundays at Sandringham and Balmoral where there is no way of getting out of it and not having the press notice.

By the way Charles said 'Defender of Faith' singular not plural. He will be Defender of the Faith when he becomes King, unless the parliament repeals the Act that created Henry and all future monarchs Defender of the Faith.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:39 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I actually question whether or not William is actually a Christian - don't know why but get the sense he goes through the motions with no real faith whereas Charles has a real Christian faith.

We know that Charles and Camilla attend church regularly as there are reports of them going to church at Tetbury (near Highgrove), in Scotland, at Sandringham - and from being told personally by one of the ministers at the Queen's Chapel at St James Charles and Camilla are also regular attenders at services in London. She did say, on the other hand, that she had never seen either William or Harry at church except for the big occasions.
I agree with you. I really don't think of William as being religious (any religion) at all which makes me question how seriously he would take any oath to defend the faith.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:44 PM
Nobility

Quote:
How does that question a person faith? We don't the circumstances around her confirmation.
It just looks as if it were done for appearances sake rather than because there was any commitment especially as there have been no reports of William or Kate attending Church except when on royal duty. Contrast this with the number of tweets of sigtings of Kate at the cinema or shopping in Waitrose.

In this day and age, if either William or Kate stepped inside a church there would be someone tweeting about it.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:45 PM
Nobility

I think that Edward and Sophie are also regular church attenders
Old 01-08-2013, 10:46 PM
Serene Highness

All opinion based on a bias. Whether Catherine came to her faith late, does not mean she can't be a religious person. It is not up to Charles to be 'Defender of the Faiths' whatever that is. Parliament will decide his Coronation Oath
Charles' track record indicates he is very selective in what he chooses to adhere to and what he turns a blind eye to.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:47 PM
Nobility

Quote:
The religious issue is moot in Australia as we already have separation of Church and State.

However do we manage? Surely not having an established church is the end of civilisation as we know it.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:50 PM
Nobility

Quote:
All opinion based on a bias. Whether Catherine came to her faith late, does not mean she can't be a religious person. It is not up to Charles to be 'Defender of the Faiths' whatever that is. Parliament will decide his Coronation Oath
Charles' track record indicates he is very selective in what he chooses to adhere to and what he turns a blind eye to.
You have your opinion. I have seen no evidence that either Kate or William do anything more than pay lipservice to any religious faith.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
By the way Charles said 'Defender of Faith' singular not plural. He will be Defender of the Faith when he becomes King, unless the parliament repeals the Act that created Henry and all future monarchs Defender of the Faith.
Sometimes you just can't teach an old goat new bleats. You'd think after all these years here I would finally get it right eh?
Old 01-08-2013, 10:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
All opinion based on a bias.
Opinion based on a fact. It's a mighty strong coincidence that she only chose to get confirmed after she became engaged to the future Defender of Faith/The Faith.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Many members of the Cof E never get confirmed, unlike the RCC church where everyone gets confirmed at about 9 or 10 years of age.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 01-08-2013, 11:04 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Many members of the Cof E never get confirmed, unlike the RCC church where everyone gets confirmed at about 9 or 10 years of age.
Thanks for the info and dose of sanity to the thread.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:09 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
Opinion based on a fact. It's a mighty strong coincidence that she only chose to get confirmed after she became engaged to the future Defender of Faith/The Faith.
So your opinion is a fact, well that's good to know for future reference.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
So your opinion is a fact, well that's good to know for future reference.
No, I did not say my opinion is a fact, I said I have an opinion - regarding Kate's level of commitment to the CofE - based on the fact she was only confirmed shortly before her marriage.