The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #981  
Old 01-08-2013, 07:23 PM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Well DOE I don't think we have to live by an 18th century decision in the 21st century. I don't believe the Windsors need the C of E to justify their place on the throne.....that is based on public support which in fact is greater than support for the C of E or any other faith group. The UK and western Europe are largely secular and multi cultural places and having governments involved in the appointment of Bishops or church debates about who can or cannot become a Bishop because of their gender or who can or cannot marry is ridiculous.
This is interesting because you've raised something I wanted to ask about. I thought that for many of the royal houses, there was a link to the national/state religion. The governments are secular but ceremonies, crownings, thanksgivings, weddings, christenings, funerals take place in churches/cathedrals.

Have I misunderstood?
__________________

__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Reply With Quote
  #982  
Old 01-08-2013, 07:24 PM
AdmirerUS's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 2,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
I thought the Catholic Church only required that the Catholic partner in a mixed marriage promise to do their best to raise their children as Catholics and even then only if marrying in an RC service. Haven't they done away with making the non Catholic partner sign a pledge to raise the children as Catholics even when marrying in an RC service? If the potential heir was marrying in an Anglican service why would any of these issues even come up?
NGazaline - the real issue is that as a Catholic, if you do not agree, your Catholic Bishop will say that the Catholic partner is living in a state where they may not receive the sacraments. So, no sacrament of reconciliation (confession/forgiveness), a Baptism that is not recognized, no last rights, if needed, and no way to receive weekly communion (the body and blood of Christ, which is not a big deal in other Christian churches, but is huge for Catholics).

It's a really ugly (my word - because I have had family go through this) scenario, where the Catholic partner is in many ways shunned by their faith with enormous consequences for the afterlife of themselves and their child.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #983  
Old 01-08-2013, 07:32 PM
Roslyn's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tintenbar, Australia
Posts: 2,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
It's a really ugly (my word - because I have had family go through this) scenario, where the Catholic partner is in many ways shunned by their faith with enormous consequences for the afterlife of themselves and their child.
If they feel that strongly about their religion, they have the choice to not marry the non-Catholic person. This is an issue for all the peoples of the world who marry people not of their culture or religion, not just Catholics & Protestants. It's only an issue in the current context because it is only Catholics who are excluded, and I think there are sound reasons, even though it is undoubtedly discriminatory, and that disestablishment is the answer.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #984  
Old 01-08-2013, 07:32 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto (ON) & London (UK), Canada
Posts: 5,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
NGazaline - the real issue is that as a Catholic, if you do not agree, your Catholic Bishop will say that the Catholic partner is living in a state where they may not receive the sacraments. So, no sacrament of reconciliation (confession/forgiveness), a Baptism that is not recognized, no last rights, if needed, and no way to receive weekly communion (the body and blood of Christ, which is not a big deal in other Christian churches, but is huge for Catholics).

It's a really ugly (my word - because I have had family go through this) scenario, where the Catholic partner is in many ways shunned by their faith with enormous consequences for the afterlife of themselves and their child.
So, as in so many other areas, the RC Church discriminates against other Christian faiths by not recognizing the marriage of a Catholic person to a non-Catholic if it is performed in another Christian faith, will not recognize the baptism of their child by another Christian faith as valid and will say such a childs "afterlife" is threatened??? How Christian of them.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #985  
Old 01-08-2013, 07:34 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 1,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Well DOE I don't think we have to live by an 18th century decision in the 21st century. I don't believe the Windsors need the C of E to justify their place on the throne.....that is based on public support which in fact is greater than support for the C of E or any other faith group. The UK and western Europe are largely secular and multi cultural places and having governments involved in the appointment of Bishops or church debates about who can or cannot become a Bishop because of their gender or who can or cannot marry is ridiculous.
We should abolish the monarch then, because the institution isn't going to attract any new followers because of disestablished.
I am one monarchist that will turn in their 'membership' card.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #986  
Old 01-08-2013, 07:36 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 1,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
This is interesting because you've raised something I wanted to ask about. I thought that for many of the royal houses, there was a link to the national/state religion. The governments are secular but ceremonies, crownings, thanksgivings, weddings, christenings, funerals take place in churches/cathedrals.

Have I misunderstood?
Very good point
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #987  
Old 01-08-2013, 07:43 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto (ON) & London (UK), Canada
Posts: 5,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
This is interesting because you've raised something I wanted to ask about. I thought that for many of the royal houses, there was a link to the national/state religion. The governments are secular but ceremonies, crownings, thanksgivings, weddings, christenings, funerals take place in churches/cathedrals.

Have I misunderstood?
Well it is possible to be married and buried in a religious service without being head of the church. In Catholic countries the monarch is obviously not head of the church since that distinction belongs to a German man living in The Vatican. In Norway the King was until recently Head of the Lutheran Church but that ended when the state Lutheran Church was disestablished. Not sure if Europes other Protestant monarchs are head of their respective churches but doubt it.
Only the British monarch has a coronation. Other European monarchs are not crowned. Most only take an oath of office, usually in front of Parliament. The Installation of the Dutch monarch takes place in a church but it is a non-religious ceremony. The Norwegian monarch, after swearing his oath, has a religious blessing of his reign at a later date.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #988  
Old 01-08-2013, 07:48 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto (ON) & London (UK), Canada
Posts: 5,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke-of-Earl View Post
We should abolish the monarch then, because the institution isn't going to attract any new followers because of disestablished.
I am one monarchist that will turn in their 'membership' card.
You may well be the only person who supports a monarch based on the current fact they are Supreme Governor of the Church of England. I can think of many who believe that particular distinction is a turn off from supporting the monarchy. They might well look at the monarchy in a better light with the religious role eliminated, especially since most of HMs subjects do not share the same faith.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #989  
Old 01-08-2013, 07:59 PM
EIIR's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Somewhere, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
So, as in so many other areas, the RC Church discriminates against other Christian faiths by not recognizing the marriage of a Catholic person to a non-Catholic if it is performed in another Christian faith, will not recognize the baptism of their child by another Christian faith as valid and will say such a childs "afterlife" is threatened??? How Christian of them.
There's a reason the RC Church describes itself as the 'one, true faith'. They believe that anyone who is not in communion with the RCC is basically condemned to hell, whether they're exemplary Anglicans or Presbyterians or whatever. They refuse to see the Protestant churches as 'churches' at all. As far as they're concerned, the Vatican has a complete monopoly on admission to heaven.

The change to the succession would have profound difficulties for a RC mother or father of a future British sovereign. That parent will have to watch their child be brought up in a religion that, as far as RCC teachings are concerned, inevitably means they're damned to an eternity of cohabitation with the devil himself. If nothing else, that would be pretty cruel for a RC parent.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #990  
Old 01-08-2013, 08:00 PM
AdmirerUS's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 2,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
If they feel that strongly about their religion, they have the choice to not marry the non-Catholic person. This is an issue for all the peoples of the world who marry people not of their culture or religion, not just Catholics & Protestants. It's only an issue in the current context because it is only Catholics who are excluded, and I think there are sound reasons, even though it is undoubtedly discriminatory, and that disestablishment is the answer.
Ah, but then love raises it's ugly head. What is one to do? The logical and faith based choice leads one way and the heart based choice leads another. In today's society, I have known too many people who cannot say "No" to an unwise dip in the sheets, much less to a conflict riddled union. For you Roslyn it is an easy choice, but for others, it is not.
Sorry Mods - back to primogeniture!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #991  
Old 01-08-2013, 08:03 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 1,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
You may well be the only person who supports a monarch based on the current fact they are Supreme Governor of the Church of England. I can think of many who believe that particular distinction is a turn off from supporting the monarchy. They might well look at the monarchy in a better light with the religious role eliminated, especially since most of HMs subjects do not share the same faith.
Really, people are just clamouring to become royalists, except for the fact the Queen is Supreme Governor of the Church of England?

New one on me
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #992  
Old 01-08-2013, 08:06 PM
AdmirerUS's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 2,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
So, as in so many other areas, the RC Church discriminates against other Christian faiths by not recognizing the marriage of a Catholic person to a non-Catholic if it is performed in another Christian faith, will not recognize the baptism of their child by another Christian faith as valid and will say such a childs "afterlife" is threatened??? How Christian of them.
Yes, hence "I was raised Catholic." But true faith is a calling that is hard to ignore. I was very glad my mother had her faith when she fell ill. It gave her the strength to die with dignity.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #993  
Old 01-08-2013, 08:16 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto (ON) & London (UK), Canada
Posts: 5,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke-of-Earl View Post
Really, people are just clamouring to become royalists, except for the fact the Queen is Supreme Governor of the Church of England?

New one on me
Did I say clamouring??? I think not.
What I did suggest is that there are people who are turned off from the monarchy because of the religious linkage and they they may look more favourably (or perhaps less negatively if you prefer) if that religious linkage were removed.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #994  
Old 01-08-2013, 08:24 PM
AdmirerUS's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 2,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke-of-Earl View Post
Really, people are just clamouring to become royalists, except for the fact the Queen is Supreme Governor of the Church of England?

New one on me
Duke - I get your point. But Britain has become very diverse - as is Canada when you look at the entire country. Some cities, like Toronto are wonderful melting pots of culture. Not all in the pot see upholding the COE as a major motivator.

However Britain is not even so very churchy (Trends in UK Church attendance) these days. Without regard for the Queen's role - people do make their own faith based choices.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #995  
Old 01-08-2013, 08:25 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 4,190
Ah the religious part of this legislation seems to really be as sticky as a piece of fly paper on a outhouse wall. The debates here are so interesting and I imagine they'd be quite as interesting when discussed by the legislators.

The first thing that comes to mind is that both the CoE and RCC put the same person as a basis of their entire belief system and that is Jesus Christ Himself.

Examining that fact, His words give a glimmer of perhaps how this should be handled. "Render unto Caeser the things that are Caeser's and render unto God the things that are God's".

As an outsider looking in, I have no solution or opinion on which way this all should be resolved, I just find it interesting to watch.
__________________
“We live in a world where we have to hide to make love, while violence is practiced in broad daylight.”
~~~ John Lennon ~~~
Reply With Quote
  #996  
Old 01-08-2013, 08:31 PM
AdmirerUS's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 2,776
Osipi - I think it is easier to watch this debate from the US - where we are raised on a steady diet separating Church and State. We know that drill. But here I am feeling the pain of my fellow forum members who know that Church and Ruler march together as one.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #997  
Old 01-08-2013, 08:31 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto (ON) & London (UK), Canada
Posts: 5,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
The change to the succession would have profound difficulties for a RC mother or father of a future British sovereign. That parent will have to watch their child be brought up in a religion that, as far as RCC teachings are concerned, inevitably means they're damned to an eternity of cohabitation with the devil himself. If nothing else, that would be pretty cruel for a RC parent.
Well since we don't really go in for forced marriages these days presumably the Catholic partner in the marriage would be aware of all of this and then exercise their God given free will to decide if their faith is more important that the person they believe they love and want to spend their lives with. If faith wins out no problem. If love wins out presumably they entered into the marriage with their eyes open. They option of conversion also remains open to them. I suppose they could just go to the local registry office and avoid religious complications.

Personally if God exists I doubt very much He/She care which club you go to in order to worship or if you go to any club at all if you are a believer.

As far as the changes proposed go I believe it will still require the monarch to be Anglican so the Catholic partner would be risking their childs birthright if it were baptised as RC and presumably this would have been considered before marrying and presumably the Anglican part of the marriage would have had their input as well into the childs faith.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #998  
Old 01-08-2013, 08:45 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ipswich, United Kingdom
Posts: 705
The Bill has already been presented to Parliament so I don't know what you all blubbing on about. Solve the issue now instead of brushing it under the Carpet for another 60 years.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #999  
Old 01-08-2013, 08:48 PM
Roslyn's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tintenbar, Australia
Posts: 2,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
As far as the changes proposed go I believe it will still require the monarch to be Anglican so the Catholic partner would be risking their childs birthright if it were baptised as RC and presumably this would have been considered before marrying and presumably the Anglican part of the marriage would have had their input as well into the childs faith.
In practical terms, I cannot see it becoming a serious issue. Would the heir or someone very close in line really be likely to allow themselves to form the sort of close relationship with a dedicated Roman Catholic that could lead to them seriously considering marriage?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1000  
Old 01-08-2013, 08:51 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 1,178
Can someone explain the point of having a sovereign in 2013 if the very reason we have the House of Hanover is to uphold the Reformed Protestant Faith.
Call me old fashioned but when someone takes an oath, they should uphold it.
To many monarchists , the office of sovereign is a holy office and to like minded people we do not follow the latest fashions or whatever hairstyle Catherine is rocking. It is a religious office

To me the office is holy and divine and HM is styled as thus for a reason. Her Most Excellent Majesty Elizabeth The Second by the Grace of God of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith, Sovereign of the Most Noble Order of the Garter, whom may God preserve and bless with long life, health and honour and all worldly happiness
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Succession Issues ladybelline Imperial Family of Japan 921 11-03-2014 02:22 AM
The Act of Settlement 1701 and the Line of Succession Elise,LadyofLancaster British Royals 926 04-15-2014 11:41 PM
Rules of Succession CrownPrinceLorenzo Royalty Past, Present, and Future 95 10-25-2012 01:55 PM




Popular Tags
abdication belgium birth carl philip charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events fashion germany grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta leonor infanta sofia jordan king carl xvi gustav king constantine ii king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander letizia luxembourg nobility official visit olympic games ottoman pregnancy president hollande prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince daniel prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess anita princess ariane princess astrid princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess mary queen anne-marie queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen silvia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit stockholm sweden the hague visit wedding



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:15 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]