The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #861  
Old 01-03-2013, 06:24 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Campbelltown, Australia
Posts: 97
And as a citizen of a Commonwealth country that has anti-discrimination laws, I would welcome the change that would mean eldest would inherit regardless of gender. I would posit that it should go further, ie other hereditary titles as well.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #862  
Old 01-03-2013, 06:32 PM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,322
Interesting, Duke-of-Earl. As many of us said when this was first raised, we have knee-jerk politicans pushing through legislation without a clue about how the consitution of the commonwealth works.

In reality, we have as long as it takes because it could be retrospective.

Of course it will be interesting if the Duchess has boy/girl twins. Conspiracy theorists will be in the wings!
__________________

__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Reply With Quote
  #863  
Old 01-03-2013, 06:33 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 1,181
Isn't discriminatory to have a law that states only first born children can inherit? Couldn't the second born sue and say their rights are violated on account of not being lucky enough to be first born?
I would love to know where equality legislation ends.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #864  
Old 01-03-2013, 06:35 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Campbelltown, Australia
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Interesting, Duke-of-Earl. As many of us said when this was first raised, we have knee-jerk politicans pushing through legislation without a clue about how the consitution of the commonwealth works.

In reality, we have as long as it takes because it could be retrospective.

Of course it will be interesting if the Duchess has boy/girl twins. Conspiracy theorists will be in the wings!
One twin has to be born before the other.....so what would be the issue? The first twin would be the eldest.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #865  
Old 01-03-2013, 06:37 PM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillian View Post
One twin has to be born before the other.....so what would be the issue? The first twin would be the eldest.
Exactly - but if she has one of each and the announcemnt is that the boy was born first before the girl, there will be some people out there saying "I bet this is untrue, the girl was born first, etc. etc
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Reply With Quote
  #866  
Old 01-03-2013, 06:39 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Campbelltown, Australia
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke-of-Earl View Post
Isn't discriminatory to have a law that states only first born children can inherit? Couldn't the second born sue and say their rights are violated on account of not being lucky enough to be first born?
I would love to know where equality legislation ends.
Birth order does not come under of the legislation here.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #867  
Old 01-03-2013, 06:43 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto (ON) & London (UK), Canada
Posts: 5,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Exactly - but if she has one of each and the announcemnt is that the boy was born first before the girl, there will be some people out there saying "I bet this is untrue, the girl was born first, etc. etc
Correct. The conspiracy theory buffs will be in 7th heaven. If a girl is taken out first some would say it was because of the proposed changes and wanting a Queen, and if it is a boy first some will say it is because the doctors/palace grey men wanted a future king and not a queen. The DM would have endless made up stories to fill its pages.....truth not being allowed to get in the way of a good story.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #868  
Old 01-03-2013, 06:44 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Campbelltown, Australia
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Exactly - but if she has one of each and the announcemnt is that the boy was born first before the girl, there will be some people out there saying "I bet this is untrue, the girl was born first, etc. etc
I don't know about in the UK, but when I had each of my 4 children, there were at least 4 other people there. I would imagine even more medical &/or Allied health staff...do you really think that they could get away with falsifying birth records / medical records of such high profile people?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #869  
Old 01-03-2013, 06:44 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto (ON) & London (UK), Canada
Posts: 5,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillian View Post
Birth order does not come under of the legislation here.
Ummm, isnt birth order exactly what this proposed legislation is about?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #870  
Old 01-03-2013, 06:45 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Campbelltown, Australia
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Ummm, isnt birth order exactly what this proposed legislation is about?
No, it's gender discrimination. As it stands, if the new baby is a girl, and the next is a boy, the 2nd born (but eldest male child) will inherit ahead of his older sister, for no other reason than that he is male.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #871  
Old 01-03-2013, 06:48 PM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke-of-Earl View Post
Isn't discriminatory to have a law that states only first born children can inherit? Couldn't the second born sue and say their rights are violated on account of not being lucky enough to be first born?
I would love to know where equality legislation ends.
I thought that titles were dependent on the letters patent. These can allow women to inherit a title (ie Countess Mountbatten of Burma) but each one is specific. Can someone more knowledgeable than me confirm this or otherwise?

As far as land and property are concerned, surely an individual can leave their "wealth" however they wish, unless there is an entail which is legally binding which specifies to whom the inheritance is left.
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Reply With Quote
  #872  
Old 01-03-2013, 06:48 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto (ON) & London (UK), Canada
Posts: 5,261
^^^^^
Its about birth order. Childrens succession right based on order of birth.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #873  
Old 01-03-2013, 06:54 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto (ON) & London (UK), Canada
Posts: 5,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I thought that titles were dependent on the letters patent. These can allow women to inherit a title (ie Countess Mountbatten of Burma) but each one is specific. Can someone more knowledgeable than me confirm this or otherwise?

As far as land and property are concerned, surely an individual can leave their "wealth" however they wish, unless there is an entail which is legally binding which specifies to whom the inheritance is left.
Correct the Letters Patent are specific to each peerage. Some are heirs male and some are heirs general. In the case of the Mountbatten peerage the only 2 females eligible to inherit that title are Lady Patricia (the present Countess) and her younger sister Lady Pamela. Beyond that it is the heirs male of each who have succession rights, their daughters do not.
Family estates and wealth are not tied to the titles. An example of that would be the Dukes/Earls of Portland. Lady Anne Cavendish Bentinck inherited all of the real family assets while a distant cousin inherited the earldom (the dukedom became extinct). Lady Anne's fabulous jewel collection was sold at auction last year including the famous Portland Tiara.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #874  
Old 01-03-2013, 06:55 PM
GracieGiraffe's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Giraffe Land, United States
Posts: 1,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke-of-Earl View Post
Isn't discriminatory to have a law that states only first born children can inherit? Couldn't the second born sue and say their rights are violated on account of not being lucky enough to be first born?
I would love to know where equality legislation ends.
It's not absolute equality people are trying to achieve - that is never possible. It is equality among genders that is the goal.

There has to be a determination as to who inherits somewhere, and it's most logical to make it the first born. If the laws of succession were changed so that it becomes a choice among the most deserving child, it becomes a slippery slope towards an elected head of state.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #875  
Old 01-03-2013, 07:04 PM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Correct the Letters Patent are specific to each peerage. Some are heirs male and some are heirs general. In the case of the Mountbatten peerage the only 2 females eligible to inherit that title are Lady Patricia (the present Countess) and her younger sister Lady Pamela. Beyond that it is the heirs male of each who have succession rights, their daughters do not.
Family estates and wealth are not tied to the titles. An example of that would be the Dukes/Earls of Portland. Lady Anne Cavendish Bentinck inherited all of the real family assets while a distant cousin inherited the earldom (the dukedom became extinct). Lady Anne's fabulous jewel collection was sold at auction last year including the famous Portland Tiara.
Thank you - reading this forum has taught me a lot! Interesting about other examples.
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Reply With Quote
  #876  
Old 01-03-2013, 07:19 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 1,181
In accordance with the direction of HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN Letters Patent have passed the Great Seal of the Realm dated the 26 May 2011 granting unto Her Majesty’s Grandson, His Royal Highness Prince William Arthur Philip Louis of Wales, K.G.,and the heirs male of his body lawfully begotten the dignities of Baron Carrickfergus,Earl of Strathearn, and Duke of Cambridge.

London Gazette Number 59798 Wednesday 1 June 2011

Interesting the Queen didn't seem to share the view of the gormless Deputy PM when she created William's Peerage
HM must have been forced to drink the kool-aid afterwards haha
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #877  
Old 01-03-2013, 07:35 PM
Roslyn's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tintenbar, Australia
Posts: 2,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
There has to be a determination as to who inherits somewhere, and it's most logical to make it the first born. If the laws of succession were changed so that it becomes a choice among the most deserving child, it becomes a slippery slope towards an elected head of state.
So we'd be going back to the way it was done before the Norman Invasion. My Anglo-Saxon ancestors say, "yay!".
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #878  
Old 01-03-2013, 07:35 PM
Artemisia's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Yerevan, Armenia
Posts: 5,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke-of-Earl View Post
In accordance with the direction of HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN Letters Patent have passed the Great Seal of the Realm dated the 26 May 2011 granting unto Her Majesty’s Grandson, His Royal Highness Prince William Arthur Philip Louis of Wales, K.G.,and the heirs male of his body lawfully begotten the dignities of Baron Carrickfergus,Earl of Strathearn, and Duke of Cambridge.

London Gazette Number 59798 Wednesday 1 June 2011

Interesting the Queen didn't seem to share the view of the gormless Deputy PM when she created William's Peerage
HM must have been forced to drink the kool-aid afterwards haha
It is the standard text of virtually any Letters Patent of a title's creation.
Besides, as far as I know, there are no plans to change peerage laws (and Dukedom of Cambridge is precisely that) - just laws of the succession to the Throne.
Reply With Quote
  #879  
Old 01-03-2013, 07:39 PM
Artemisia's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Yerevan, Armenia
Posts: 5,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
So we'd be going back to the way it was done before the Norman Invasion. My Anglo-Saxon ancestors say, "yay!".
True. Sometimes I think Witenagemot was the best system that could exist in regards to succession.

If an heir is chosen among the previous monarch's descendants, or in absence of those, descendants of his siblings, by a Council that, say, includes the first 12 people in the Line of Succession (who are of age), plus certain lawmakers, politicians, clergy and perhaps other dignitaries (representatives of the Realms), would it be that bad of a system?
Reply With Quote
  #880  
Old 01-03-2013, 08:04 PM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,322
in theory it sounds ok, in practice it would be political (probably small "p" political)

We benefit by having a non-political head of state and this is achieved because election/selection other than by birth doesn't come into it.

EDIT: Should also add that lobbying and the press would be at the forefront and lobbying was definitely part of the background to the Witenagemot.
__________________

__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Act of Settlement 1701 and the Line of Succession Elise,LadyofLancaster British Royals 926 04-15-2014 11:41 PM
Succession Issues ladybelline Imperial Family of Japan 918 11-02-2013 12:14 PM
Rules of Succession CrownPrinceLorenzo Royalty Past, Present, and Future 95 10-25-2012 01:55 PM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
birth charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events engagement fashion grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri habsburg hohenzollern infanta sofia jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg ottoman pom president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince felipe prince felix prince floris prince joachim prince pieter-christiaan princess princess aimee princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess claire princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess marie princess mary princess of asturias queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal russia spain state visit sweden wedding william winter olympics 2014


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

RV & Travel Trailer Communities

Our RV & Travel Trailer sites encompasses virtually all types of Recreational Vehicles, from brand-specific to general RV communities.

» More about our RV Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:02 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]