The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-03-2013, 06:24 PM
Gentry

And as a citizen of a Commonwealth country that has anti-discrimination laws, I would welcome the change that would mean eldest would inherit regardless of gender. I would posit that it should go further, ie other hereditary titles as well.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Interesting, Duke-of-Earl. As many of us said when this was first raised, we have knee-jerk politicans pushing through legislation without a clue about how the consitution of the commonwealth works.

In reality, we have as long as it takes because it could be retrospective.

Of course it will be interesting if the Duchess has boy/girl twins. Conspiracy theorists will be in the wings!

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 01-03-2013, 06:33 PM
Serene Highness

Isn't discriminatory to have a law that states only first born children can inherit? Couldn't the second born sue and say their rights are violated on account of not being lucky enough to be first born?
I would love to know where equality legislation ends.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:35 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Interesting, Duke-of-Earl. As many of us said when this was first raised, we have knee-jerk politicans pushing through legislation without a clue about how the consitution of the commonwealth works.

In reality, we have as long as it takes because it could be retrospective.

Of course it will be interesting if the Duchess has boy/girl twins. Conspiracy theorists will be in the wings!
One twin has to be born before the other.....so what would be the issue? The first twin would be the eldest.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillian View Post
One twin has to be born before the other.....so what would be the issue? The first twin would be the eldest.
Exactly - but if she has one of each and the announcemnt is that the boy was born first before the girl, there will be some people out there saying "I bet this is untrue, the girl was born first, etc. etc

Old 01-03-2013, 06:39 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke-of-Earl View Post
Isn't discriminatory to have a law that states only first born children can inherit? Couldn't the second born sue and say their rights are violated on account of not being lucky enough to be first born?
Birth order does not come under of the legislation here.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Exactly - but if she has one of each and the announcemnt is that the boy was born first before the girl, there will be some people out there saying "I bet this is untrue, the girl was born first, etc. etc
Correct. The conspiracy theory buffs will be in 7th heaven. If a girl is taken out first some would say it was because of the proposed changes and wanting a Queen, and if it is a boy first some will say it is because the doctors/palace grey men wanted a future king and not a queen. The DM would have endless made up stories to fill its pages.....truth not being allowed to get in the way of a good story.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:44 PM
Gentry

Quote:
I don't know about in the UK, but when I had each of my 4 children, there were at least 4 other people there. I would imagine even more medical &/or Allied health staff...do you really think that they could get away with falsifying birth records / medical records of such high profile people?
Old 01-03-2013, 06:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillian View Post
Birth order does not come under of the legislation here.
Ummm, isnt birth order exactly what this proposed legislation is about?
Old 01-03-2013, 06:45 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Ummm, isnt birth order exactly what this proposed legislation is about?
No, it's gender discrimination. As it stands, if the new baby is a girl, and the next is a boy, the 2nd born (but eldest male child) will inherit ahead of his older sister, for no other reason than that he is male.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I thought that titles were dependent on the letters patent. These can allow women to inherit a title (ie Countess Mountbatten of Burma) but each one is specific. Can someone more knowledgeable than me confirm this or otherwise?

As far as land and property are concerned, surely an individual can leave their "wealth" however they wish, unless there is an entail which is legally binding which specifies to whom the inheritance is left.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:48 PM
Heir Apparent

^^^^^
Its about birth order. Childrens succession right based on order of birth.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I thought that titles were dependent on the letters patent. These can allow women to inherit a title (ie Countess Mountbatten of Burma) but each one is specific. Can someone more knowledgeable than me confirm this or otherwise?

As far as land and property are concerned, surely an individual can leave their "wealth" however they wish, unless there is an entail which is legally binding which specifies to whom the inheritance is left.
Correct the Letters Patent are specific to each peerage. Some are heirs male and some are heirs general. In the case of the Mountbatten peerage the only 2 females eligible to inherit that title are Lady Patricia (the present Countess) and her younger sister Lady Pamela. Beyond that it is the heirs male of each who have succession rights, their daughters do not.
Family estates and wealth are not tied to the titles. An example of that would be the Dukes/Earls of Portland. Lady Anne Cavendish Bentinck inherited all of the real family assets while a distant cousin inherited the earldom (the dukedom became extinct). Lady Anne's fabulous jewel collection was sold at auction last year including the famous Portland Tiara.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:55 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
It's not absolute equality people are trying to achieve - that is never possible. It is equality among genders that is the goal.

There has to be a determination as to who inherits somewhere, and it's most logical to make it the first born. If the laws of succession were changed so that it becomes a choice among the most deserving child, it becomes a slippery slope towards an elected head of state.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Correct the Letters Patent are specific to each peerage. Some are heirs male and some are heirs general. In the case of the Mountbatten peerage the only 2 females eligible to inherit that title are Lady Patricia (the present Countess) and her younger sister Lady Pamela. Beyond that it is the heirs male of each who have succession rights, their daughters do not.
Family estates and wealth are not tied to the titles. An example of that would be the Dukes/Earls of Portland. Lady Anne Cavendish Bentinck inherited all of the real family assets while a distant cousin inherited the earldom (the dukedom became extinct). Lady Anne's fabulous jewel collection was sold at auction last year including the famous Portland Tiara.
Thank you - reading this forum has taught me a lot! Interesting about other examples.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:19 PM
Serene Highness

In accordance with the direction of HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN Letters Patent have passed the Great Seal of the Realm dated the 26 May 2011 granting unto Her Majesty’s Grandson, His Royal Highness Prince William Arthur Philip Louis of Wales, K.G.,and the heirs male of his body lawfully begotten the dignities of Baron Carrickfergus,Earl of Strathearn, and Duke of Cambridge.

London Gazette Number 59798 Wednesday 1 June 2011

Interesting the Queen didn't seem to share the view of the gormless Deputy PM when she created William's Peerage
HM must have been forced to drink the kool-aid afterwards haha
Old 01-03-2013, 07:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
There has to be a determination as to who inherits somewhere, and it's most logical to make it the first born. If the laws of succession were changed so that it becomes a choice among the most deserving child, it becomes a slippery slope towards an elected head of state.
So we'd be going back to the way it was done before the Norman Invasion. My Anglo-Saxon ancestors say, "yay!".
Old 01-03-2013, 07:35 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
In accordance with the direction of HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN Letters Patent have passed the Great Seal of the Realm dated the 26 May 2011 granting unto Her Majesty’s Grandson, His Royal Highness Prince William Arthur Philip Louis of Wales, K.G.,and the heirs male of his body lawfully begotten the dignities of Baron Carrickfergus,Earl of Strathearn, and Duke of Cambridge.

London Gazette Number 59798 Wednesday 1 June 2011

Interesting the Queen didn't seem to share the view of the gormless Deputy PM when she created William's Peerage
HM must have been forced to drink the kool-aid afterwards haha
It is the standard text of virtually any Letters Patent of a title's creation.
Besides, as far as I know, there are no plans to change peerage laws (and Dukedom of Cambridge is precisely that) - just laws of the succession to the Throne.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:39 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
So we'd be going back to the way it was done before the Norman Invasion. My Anglo-Saxon ancestors say, "yay!".
True. Sometimes I think Witenagemot was the best system that could exist in regards to succession.

If an heir is chosen among the previous monarch's descendants, or in absence of those, descendants of his siblings, by a Council that, say, includes the first 12 people in the Line of Succession (who are of age), plus certain lawmakers, politicians, clergy and perhaps other dignitaries (representatives of the Realms), would it be that bad of a system?
Old 01-03-2013, 08:04 PM
Heir Apparent

in theory it sounds ok, in practice it would be political (probably small "p" political)

We benefit by having a non-political head of state and this is achieved because election/selection other than by birth doesn't come into it.

EDIT: Should also add that lobbying and the press would be at the forefront and lobbying was definitely part of the background to the Witenagemot.