The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-02-2013, 09:34 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
No one seems to have mentioned that the title Prince of Wales can be held by someone other than the eldest son of the monarch e.g. George III was created Prince of Wales after his father's death. He was, of course, the heir apparent but he was never Duke of Cornwall as he was never the eldest son of the monarch. His father had held both titles.
The Prince of Wales title is not unique in that respect; the same is true about The Earl of Chester title - it is not automatic and has to be created for the Heir Apparent (whatever his degree of kinship to the King). Baron of Renfrew and Prince of Scotland titles can all be held by any Heir Apparent, again, without taking into consideration his relation to the Sovereign.

Of the traditional titles of the Heir Apparent to the Throne:
- The Prince of Wales is not an automatic title and can be created for any Heir Apparent to the Throne (whatever his degree of kinship to the Sovereign).
- The Duke of Cornwall is an automatic title that belongs to the Heir Apparent to the Throne who is also the Sovereign's surviving eldest son. If either of the conditions aren't met, the title remains vacant.
- The Duke of Rothesay is an automatic title that belongs to "the first-born Prince of the King of Scots". Like the Duke of Cornwall one, it can only be held by the Heir Apparent who is also the Sovereign's eldest surviving son. And similarly, if either of the conditions aren't met, then the title remains vacant.
- The Earl of Chester is not an automatic title and can be created for any Heir Apparent to the Throne (whatever his degree of kinship to the Sovereign).
- The Earl of Carrick is an automatic title with exactly the same conditions as the Duke of Rothesay one.
- Baron of Renfrew title is automatically held by the Heir Apparent to the Throne, whatever his degree of kinship to the Sovereign.
- Lord of the Isles is a title that belongs to the surviving son of the Sovereign and no one else. If the Heir Apparent is not the Sovereign's son, he cannot hold the title.
- Prince of Scotland is a title automatically held by the Heir Apparent to the Throne, whatever his degree of kinship to the Sovereign.
- The Great Steward of Scotland is a title held by the Sovereign's eldest surviving son. If the Heir Apparent is not the Sovereign's son, he cannot hold the title. *

* Mary, Queen of Scots has used the title despite (obviously) not being the son of the Sovereign.
Also, Prince and Great Steward of Scotland titles are traditionally (but not always) used together.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:27 PM
Nobility

Since the new rules are to take effect with the child of William & Kate. It makes sense to leave Camilla as Queen Camilla and Kate to become Princess Consort.

When the intent for Camilla to be known as Princess Consort was suggested, the intent might have been for Camilla not to perform any royal duties.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:45 PM
Majesty

There was never any intention that Camilla woudn't be carrying out royal duties.

The 'intention' of being Princess Consort was purely and simply to appease the Diana fanatics.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
There was never any intention that Camilla woudn't be carrying out royal duties.

The 'intention' of being Princess Consort was purely and simply to appease the Diana fanatics.
I have always believed this to be the case, but it has been suggested that Camilla does not want to be Queen and only finally agreed to marry Charles if she did not have to be Queen. Do you think this is possible, Bertie, and that the decision that she will be Princess Consort was a happy co-incidence that suited everyone (except those of us who feel she should be Queen)?
Old 01-02-2013, 11:03 PM
Gentry

Is there a prohibition against the Duchess being Queen Consort due to her divorce from her first husband? Does that factor here? This may have already been asked and answered. Sorry if it has.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:21 PM
Nobility

I just said the intent might have been for Camilla not to perform any royal duties.

I personally always thought that was the case, that she would be Charles' wife with the benefits of a spouse and without the benefits/obligations of royality. Similar to Tim.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillian View Post
Is there a prohibition against the Duchess being Queen Consort due to her divorce from her first husband? Does that factor here? This may have already been asked and answered. Sorry if it has.
I am not absolutely sure, but I suspect that what occurred during the Service of Prayer and Thanksgiving, or whatever it was officially called, that took place after the marriage cured any problems that might have existed with the Church, and thus with Camilla becoming Queen, because Camilla had a previous husband still living. I think this part of the service did the trick:

"All say:
ALMIGHTY God, Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, Maker of all things, Judge of all men: We acknowledge and bewail our manifold sins and wickedness, Which we, from time to time, most grievously have committed, By thought, word, and deed, Against thy Divine Majesty, Provoking most justly thy wrath and indignation against us. We do earnestly repent, And are heartily sorry for these our misdoings; The remembrance of them is grievous unto us; The burden of them is intolerable. Have mercy upon us, have mercy upon us, most merciful Father; For thy Son our Lord Jesus Christ’s sake, Forgive us all that is past; And grant that we may ever hereafter Serve and please thee In newness of life, To the honour and glory of thy name; Through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

The Archbishop:
ALMIGHTY God, our heavenly Father, who of his great mercy hath promised forgiveness of sins to all them that with hearty repentance and true faith turn unto him: Have mercy upon you; pardon and deliver you from all your sins; confirm and strengthen you in all goodness; and bring you to everlasting life; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen. OGOD our Father, who by thy holy Apostle hast taught us that love is the fulfilling of the law; Grant to these thy servants that, loving one another, they may continue in thy love unto their lives’ end; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who liveth and reigneth with thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, one God world without end. Amen."

Though this is, of course, completely off topic!
Old 01-03-2013, 12:00 AM
Majesty

Having a living ex-husband didn't stop Eleanor of Aquaitaine from being Queen Consort and her ex-husband was King of France and she had two daughters from that marriage.

There has never been a bar on having a living ex-husband in law. There was a social stigma attached to being divorced in earlier times to the point where neither party could even be presented at court (Albert was very strict on that matter).

The CoE gave the marriage its blessing in a formal, public ceremony and they both admitted that they had done wrong (the general confession above from the 1662 Book of Common Prayer) with the general absolution given (of course only God knows how penitent any person is in their hearts when they say those words and no doubt there will be some here and elsewhere who won't believe that these two were penitent but I do and only God can grant absolution - which is what the Archbishop's prayer is - asking God to forgive the sinners). The Archbishop then said the second prayer which was in essence the Church acknowledging their love blessed that love.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:04 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillian View Post
No the Duchess' divorce is not relevant to whether or not she can become Queen. As has been pointed out, as the wife of a King she will be Queen however she is known unless Parliament enacts legislation removing the status either as part of a general review of titles (as suggested by the LibDem MP) or to specifically deny it to her and nobody else - which seems rather mean spirited.

I've read on here a few times that Camilla refused to marry Charles if she was to become Queen and I was wondering where the source of this information has come from. It really makes no sense that she would reject being Queen unless it was to assuage the Diana fanatics. Whether she is called the Queen or the Princess Consort she will be carrying out/filling exactly the same role. As far as I can see the only difference is that she would not be crowned.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaB View Post
I've read on here a few times that Camilla refused to marry Charles if she was to become Queen and I was wondering where the source of this information has come from. It really makes no sense that she would reject being Queen unless it was to assuage the Diana fanatics. Whether she is called the Queen or the Princess Consort she will be carrying out/filling exactly the same role. As far as I can see the only difference is that she would not be crowned.
From what I gathered, when Charles and Camilla started thinking marriage, Camilla was unsure of herself doing public engagements. Perhaps at that time and never having been in the royal spotlight publically, she had her fears and doubts. I know it would scare the heck out of me for sure.. especially as an older woman. Since the marriage, as we've seen, Camilla has done brilliantly in her roles as a working royal. Perhaps she's even warmed to the idea of being being Charles' Queen. Only time will tell.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:46 AM
Commoner

Re the lady who did not wish to use her husband's title-I believe Lady Diana Cooper placed an announcement in the Times ot the effect that she did not wish to be known as Viscountess Norwich but would continue as " Lady Diana Cooper"
Old 01-03-2013, 11:42 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:

By the time Charles takes the throne, which might not be for another 15 years, Diana will have been gone for 30. I think she will take the title of Queen after all the years of public service in which she has been engaged.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:44 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
Since the new rules are to take effect with the child of William & Kate. It makes sense to leave Camilla as Queen Camilla and Kate to become Princess Consort.
Makes no sense at all. Queen Camilla, Queen Catherine that's how it should go.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:49 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Makes no sense at all. Queen Camilla, Queen Catherine that's how it should go.
Precisely.
There is absolutely no sense in changing the law, be it for Camilla (Charles' reign) or Kate (William's reign). If they are hell-bent to introduce equality among male and female spouses of the Monarch, why not create a title King Consort? It certainly makes more sense than the Princess Consort nonsense.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:37 PM
Serene Highness

The objections to Camilla being crowned Queen of course stem from her relationship with Charles during his marriage to Diana. My opinion is why exclude Camilla for something Charles did as well, and was arguably the more culpable party as he was the one who broke his marriage vows to Diana (my understanding of Camilla's marriage is that her husband had strayed long before). Given all of this, why should Charles be crowned King and Camilla relegated to an inferior position? To me it's a modern day re-telling of The Scarlet Letter.

When Charles is King, Camilla will legally be Queen. She should be known as Queen because to do otherwise is to punish her for their affair but give him pass.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felica View Post
Re the lady who did not wish to use her husband's title-I believe Lady Diana Cooper placed an announcement in the Times ot the effect that she did not wish to be known as Viscountess Norwich but would continue as " Lady Diana Cooper"
Thank you so much for posting that, Felicia. The woman I had in mind is someone younger, but this is very interesting information and has given me another interesting woman to research.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:23 PM
Serene Highness

A daughter for Will and Kate could create a royal headache - Canada - Macleans.ca
Quote:
Is there perhaps a silent prayer sweeping stealthily across the ranks of Canada’s constitutional experts? “Please, Lord, let the Duchess of Cambridge be delivered of a fine, healthy heir. And if you could see to it, let it be a boy. Or, if it’s a girl, make sure she only has younger sisters.”
Its not a done deal yet.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
Precisely.
There is absolutely no sense in changing the law, be it for Camilla (Charles' reign) or Kate (William's reign). If they are hell-bent to introduce equality among male and female spouses of the Monarch, why not create a title King Consort? It certainly makes more sense than the Princess Consort nonsense.
As tempting as this might seem, I can't see this as a realistic possibility. The words "King" and "Consort" just don't work together. The meaning of King and Queen is far too entrenched in history and tradition and usage to be changed this way.

I see three alternatives: (a) retain the status quo, with occasional tweaks at the edges in response to social change (e.g. the change regarding primogeniture); (b) make all Consorts Prince or Princess Consort; or, (c) completely revise the whole system.

I think it's safe to say that (c) is not going to happen. (b) might, and is my preferred option, but people seem to like the idea of having a Queen too much, so it's probably not going to happen, so the male spouse of a female monarch will continue to be discriminated against. As I raised in a previous post, I'd love to know Prince Philip's thoughts on the issue. (a) is the course of least resistance, and what will probably happen.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke-of-Earl View Post
It's always "easier" to continue centuries old discrimination than to end it. (see final paragraph of the article). My own country has lots of experience with this right up to and including my current President. Shame on us.
I am an outsider to the Commonwealth and am only expressing an outsider's opinion. I think it would interesting to watch the world reaction to any of the Commonwealth nations not agreeing with the change. Realistically - the rest of the world will see one republic or the other which decides to remain old fashioned because it is "easier".
It would seem quite silly from the outside to see Great Britain ruled by "Queen Eldest Offspring" while Republic B chooses to ignore said girl and select "King Younger Brother." All that while PMs and legislatures are actually running the two republics. What would be gained by Republic B by doing so - certainly not moral high ground because at base, the issue is trying to stop discrimination.
Again - I'm an outsider to the Commonwealth and am giving one outsider opinion - which I realize matters not at all. Except that it is true.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:19 PM
Heir Apparent

^^^^^
The republics within the Commonwealth have no say in the issue. It is only the realms within the Commonwealth that HM is monarch of, like Canada, that have a say in the matter.