The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-31-2012, 08:58 PM
Gentry

FAQ section 2nd page

Old 12-31-2012, 09:21 PM
Majesty

The same thing is also on the official British Monarchy website.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:27 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by COESpiral View Post
I said something similar earlier. Camilla is Charles' wife, the Queen approves of her, the rest of the BRF has accepted her, she deserves her title of "Her Majesty" when Charles comes to the throne.
Yes, and Diana was never Queen, so there is no conflict.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:34 PM
Nobility

It's just a shame they posted that. However, I suppose if she is officially Queen Consort and styled by her preference as Princess Consort, then it might set less of a precedent. Just as now she is by right Princess of Wales but styled Duchess of Cornwall. I just find it hard to believe that Charles wants his wife to be the first consort of a king in England/UK to be denied the title of Queen, and would that affect Kate's eventual title? Personally, I prefer to believe that once Charles is King, he will decide that his wife should be Queen. Just as HM gave her husband the status of a prince of the realm a few years after her accession.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:35 PM
Gentry

See above posts and the FAQ section of princeofwales.gov.uk
Old 12-31-2012, 09:47 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
From what I understand Camilla wants to be called HRH The Princess Consort and I think her preferred titled should be respected.

I think if both Charles & Camilla decide HM The Queen should be the correct title, then I say that's how it should be.

As for Catherine, I think William will want his wife to be called HM The Queen and I think's just how she should be addressed.
I agree with this.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:47 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillian View Post
See above posts and the FAQ section of princeofwales.gov.uk
"It is intended" does not sound like it is set in stone.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:05 PM
Majesty

It isn't because the parliament will have to pass legislation to demote her from Queen to Princess and it can't do that until after the death of the present Queen. Tony Blair and others within the government indicated as much as the time of the engagement and wedding.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:16 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
It isn't because the parliament will have to pass legislation to demote her from Queen to Princess and it can't do that until after the death of the present Queen. Tony Blair and others within the government indicated as much as the time of the engagement and wedding.
Then it will be very interesting to see if they actually do so.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:16 PM
Courtier

I bet you any money Camilla will be Queen.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:18 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalistbert View Post
I bet you any money Camilla will be Queen.
I'm with you!
Old 12-31-2012, 10:27 PM
Courtier

I don't want to sound morbid but it will be automatic. The country will be mourning for the queen. The who'd Princess Consort idea will be forgotton. The public will unite behind the new King and Queen.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:26 PM
Heir Apparent

I also believe Camilla will become queen; it flies too much in the face of convention for her not to be.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble Consort Ming View Post

I'm not challenging the information but I can't find it on the site. Could you tell me where to look? Thanks in advance.

Edited to add: I see it now!

Too bad.
If Andrew PB is to be believed, it was one Camilla's objections to marrying Charles rather than continue as they were. She was adamant that she did not want to be queen. I am at the aquarium with the kid at the moment, but I will look up the quote tomorrow. If she really doesn't want it, then why should anyone else insist?
Old 01-01-2013, 03:00 PM
Nobility

If Charles makes it to the throne, which in all probability he will, it won't matter what Camilla is known as. She will be Queen Consort. She knows that.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:45 PM
Serene Highness

Phillip was Prince since his marriage. Camilla would be following precedent to become Princess rather than queen. This is a nicer title than Queen Consort, which sounds like she is nothing except for Charles consorting with her. Of course she would not be following precedent of the Queen Mother Elizabeth. Camilla could then remain a Princess if Charles predeceases her. She would have a nice title belonging to her alone, like Princess Alice of Gloucester, who chose this title with the queen's permission after her son married and there was another Duchess of Gloucester in her family. Alice didn't like the title Dowager Duchess, and I don't blame her. It's awkward for Camilla if she becomes a widow, as she can't be called Queen Mother; she is not William's mother. As Princess she can go on indefinitely even with a new Queen. That's all speculation, of course, as to who will pass on first, Charles or Camilla.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:50 PM
Serene Highness

Well I don't think this has a hope in heck of passing, so Camilla will become Queen Consort on Charles' ascension.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:56 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel View Post
Phillip was Prince since his marriage.

Philip wasn't a Prince from early 1947 until 1957.

He gave up his Greek and Danish titles - and I am not going to go into that debate here as it has taken up pages elsewhere - but in his mind he stopped being a Prince when he took the name Lt Philip Mountbatten.

The day before his marriage he was made a Knight of the Garter and so woke up on his wedding day as Lt Sir Philip Mountbatten. On 20th November, 1947 he was created HRH The Duke of Edinburgh, Earl of Merioneth and Baron Greenwich but he was NOT created a prince.

There is even a story of a member of the King's staff, recording the shoot at either Balmoral or Sandringham, writing 'Prince Philip' and the King crossed out the word 'Prince'.

In 1957 The Queen created Philip a Prince by using Letters Patent to that effect so for 10 years Philip wasn't a Prince at all.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:07 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel View Post
Phillip was Prince since his marriage. Camilla would be following precedent to become Princess rather than queen. This is a nicer title than Queen Consort, which sounds like she is nothing except for Charles consorting with her. Of course she would not be following precedent of the Queen Mother Elizabeth. Camilla could then remain a Princess if Charles predeceases her. She would have a nice title belonging to her alone, like Princess Alice of Gloucester, who chose this title with the queen's permission after her son married and there was another Duchess of Gloucester in her family. Alice didn't like the title Dowager Duchess, and I don't blame her. It's awkward for Camilla if she becomes a widow, as she can't be called Queen Mother; she is not William's mother. As Princess she can go on indefinitely even with a new Queen. That's all speculation, of course, as to who will pass on first, Charles or Camilla.
I am afraid some of what you say is not exactly accurate.

Prince Philip was born a Prince of Greece and Denmark but he renounced his foreign titles and styles. Thus, he was not a Prince at the time of his marriage and didn't become one until the Queen issued Letters Patent of 1957 granting him the title of a British Prince - 10 years after their marriage. The husband of a British Queen doesn't automatically acquire any title or style. For instance, should Princess Anne somehow become a Queen Regnant, Timothy Lawrence wouldn't get any new titles unless and until new LPs are issued to the effect.

Camilla would not be following any precedent should she be a Princess Consort. In Britain the wife of the King is automatically a Queen - end of story. The only way Camilla will legally be The Princess Consort is if the Parliaments of all countries of the Realm pass legislations specifically depriving Camilla of a title that would otherwise be rightfully and automatically hers the moment Charles ascends to the Throne - and chances of that happening are virtually non-existent.
The only way (that I found plausible) for Camilla to be known as The Princess Consort, while at the same time legally being The Queen Consort, is if she is granted the title Princess Consort in her own right and then chooses to be known under the lesser of her two available titles (rather like she is known as The Duchess of Cornwall now, while legally being The Princess of Wales).

If Charles were to predecease Camilla after his accession to the Throne, she will be known as Her Majesty Queen Camilla, while the new Queen Consort will be Her Majesty The Queen. There will be no awkwardness; it has happened many times before, and there were plenty of examples when the widow of the previous Monarch was not the mother of the next one (for instance, Queen Adelaide and Queen Victoria).

If Charles were to predecease Camilla before his accession to the Throne, she will be known as The Dowager Duchess of Cornwall (or The Dowager Princess of Wales; both titles will be hers as the widow of the Prince of Wales). That title will be uniquely hers too because should Charles die before he becomes King, Prince William would never be The Duke of Cornwall and, consequently, his wife wouldn't be the Duchess of Cornwall.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:13 PM
Nobility

The wife of a King is a Queen Consort, without exception, just as the Queen Mother was, all the way back to medieval times. Should Charles predecease Camilla, and should he have been King at that time, Camilla would probably be known as something like Dowager Queen Consort. Princess Alice was known as Princess in her own right because the Queen allowed her to keep the title rather than taking the title of Dowager Duchess, but I don't remember why.