The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-30-2012, 07:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalistbert View Post
Yes let's destroy 1000 years of history. I don't want any future concorts denied queenly style just becauces of equality. If they really want equality instead of downgrading woman's titles, they should upgrade men's titles.

I think they should create the title "King consort" if they really want eqaulity.
But what's the big deal about "queenly style" anyway? A queen consort has no official role other than brood mare, just as a prince consort really has no other role than to sire the next generation.

To suggest that there should be a title of 'King consort' overlooks the fact that within our system king is a superior position to queen. It just isn't an option.

And, yes, I am very happy to destroy 1000 years and more of history for equality. To destroy the practice of allowing men to dictate to women what they wear and where they go and what they say and how they vote - if they have the vote, which they didn't until relatively recently because they weren't considered worthy of such a huge responsibility or capable of making such important decisions - and the right to physically punish them for disobeying the man, and the right to force their wives to have sex if they weren't in the mood; and to give women the right to divorce their husbands on the same grounds as are available to the husband. I could go on and on, but I won't. I think I've made my point and I'm getting off topic. Equality is not a concept that should be taken lightly.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:26 PM

To me, Prince Consort or Princess Consort denotes the spouse of a Prince or Princess. If at present the wife of a King is Queen Consort, why cannot the husband of a Queen be King Consort?

Historically, most of the time a King has ruled, due to male succession laws. His wife, since time immemorial, has been Queen. By allowing women equal rights we are now wondering what to call their spouses - let them be King Consort! No historical precedent (if that is the case) doesn't mean it is wrong, it just means that times have changed.

Subjectively speaking, I think a King and his Princess sounds wrong, as though she were his daughter, not spouse. And I have always thought that a Queen and her Prince sounded wrong too, as though he were her toyboy, not her spouse.

A King and his Queen Consort or a Queen and her King Consort sounds better IMO. It brings to my mind a couple, one primarily supporting the other perhaps, but far more equal, more of a team, united in their work.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Absolutely. I see no real reason for this bill at all.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:27 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
From the moment of conception we are unequal. Why start mucking around with the monarchy to make things "equal" when nothing else is?
If they are going to change things to bring in absolute primogeniture then I think equality of the monarch's consort should also be introduced. Now whether that is to make a male consort King Consort as proposed by Royalistbert or to make a female consort Princess Consort is neither here nor there to me provided both are treated equally.

Just because something has been unequal or unfair for a thousand years is no reason not to rectify it given the chance - legal and formal racial discrimination has been legislated away by many governments over the last 50 years or so. What if governments had refused to enact change because life's full of inequalities and it had been the norm for hundreds of years? Why should gender equality be any different?
Old 12-30-2012, 07:38 PM
Serene Highness

An institution like monarchy demands a certain amount of tradition. Almost every monarchist I know accepts the fact that the rules and traditions of the monarchy, while not up to the political correctness standards of 2012 Britain, are necessary or the entire institution will collapse.
Either do away with monarchy or accept the fact it is never going to be equal and fair.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
From the moment of conception we are unequal.
Do you really believe that?

Quote:
Why start mucking around with the monarchy to make things "equal" when nothing else is?
We have to at least try.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke-of-Earl View Post
An institution like monarchy demands a certain amount of tradition. Almost every monarchist I know accepts the fact that the rules and traditions of the monarchy, while not up to the political correctness standards of 2012 Britain, are necessary or the entire institution will collapse.
Either do away with monarchy or accept the fact it is never going to be equal and fair.
Just like life.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 12-30-2012, 07:43 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn
King is a greater status than queen.
Yes, but that's just weird. I know that most monarchs in history has been men (kings), so most queens have "only" been a king's consort. But there have also been several regent queens, who have been just as good as a monarch as any man could have been in the same situation. So I don't see why "king" should be a higher rank than "queen". I understand that it has something to do with old gender roles, but still, it doesn't make much sense.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:50 PM
Nobility

If W & C 's first child is a daughter, I think at the very least, she will marry from the British Aristocracy. I am not sure that an everyday man could live through the subservience that D o E has done proudly for all these many years.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
Do you really believe that?
Of course I believe that. A baby conceived in the belly of a single teenage crack addict is unequal to a baby conceived by a middle class, married, well educated mother in the suburbs who takes care of herself and will receive proper medical attention throughout her pregnancy and afterwards for both herself and her child. Their chances of success in life, or even just living, are not equal.
In the western world a white blue eyed blond male, from a middle class family with a descent education will always have advantages over a woman or a person of colour. People who are taller make more money than people who are shorter. The same for good looking people. Its just how life works. It is not necessarily fair or equal but that is life. You can write all the laws you want but you cannot make everyone equal.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:54 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by padams2359 View Post
. I am not sure that an everyday man could live through the subservience that D o E has done proudly for all these many years.
But it's ok for a woman to be expected to do so?
Old 12-30-2012, 07:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Of course I believe that. A baby conceived in the belly of a single teenage crack addict is unequal to a baby conceived by a middle class, married, well eductaed mother in the suburbs who takes care of herself and will receive proper medical attention throughout her pregnancy and afterwards for both herself and her child. Their chances of success in life, or even just living, are not equal.
In the western world a white blue eyed blond male, from a middle class family with a descent education will always have advantages over a woman or a person of colour. People wo are taller make more money than people who are shorter. The same for good looking people. Its just how life works. It is not necessarily fair or equal but that is life.
You make good points, of course, but that's not the sort of equality I was talking about.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:06 PM
Serene Highness

A lot of politicians proposing these changes are republicans and know once they start mucking around with the traditions of monarchy, the institution will die a slow death.
In a lot ways , monarchy isn't 'real life' and trying to make it real life by 'modernising' it and making it political correct is just going to kill it off.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:27 PM
Nobility

Quote:
A lot of politicians proposing these changes are republicans and know once they start mucking around with the traditions of monarchy, the institution will die a slow death.
In a lot ways , monarchy isn't 'real life' and trying to make it real life by 'modernising' it and making it political correct is just going to kill it off.
Or they recognise that to survive the monarchy must remain relevant and it cannot do that if it's preserved in aspic.

The Queen did away with presentations at Court, Royal walkabouts were introduced in the 1930s, George V introduced the Christmas broadcast, the Queen started paying income tax. After Diana's death there was almost revolution because the Royal Family stuck to tradition and failed to fly the Union Flag at half mast.

IMHO not all traditions are bad and not all modernization is good but there has to be a happy medium. To say we cannot change something because it has always been done that way risks alienating people and making the
Monarchy irrelevant.

It seems that some of those arguing against change were more than happy for the Cambridges to break with tradition and spend Christmas with her family because that's what modern couples do and because it was only fair.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:34 PM
Serene Highness

Organic change I have no problem with. Its when politicians try and legislate fairness and equality in monarchy that things fall apart.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:00 PM
Commoner

Quote:
It will really make me mad if she does not become Queen Catherine. I think there should be a counter proposal to make male spouses King Consorts. It would be awesome for the DoE to become King Phillip after all these years.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:30 PM
Heir Apparent

I doubt very much at this stage Prince Philip would become a king consort. If any changes would be implemented, I'm sure it would be in Charles' or William's reigns.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:09 PM
Aristocracy

If Camilla is still married to Charles when he becomes King then she should be the Queen. End of story. Doesn't matter what the Diana worshippers want, she wouldn't have been the Queen anyway as the divorce took care of that, so even if she were still living, would there still be such an uproar? I don't even know if Charles would have re-married were Diana still alive, but it's obvious that Camilla makes him very happy and no one should go throughout life miserable or being made miserable, so as his wife Camilla deserves the title and the respect that goes with it.

As an American, I admit I don't get why Diana is practically sainted, but then I was in college when she died and didn't start paying much attention to any of the European royals until a few years ago.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaB View Post
Or they recognise that to survive the monarchy must remain relevant and it cannot do that if it's preserved in aspic.

The Queen did away with presentations at Court, Royal walkabouts were introduced in the 1930s, George V introduced the Christmas broadcast, the Queen started paying income tax. After Diana's death there was almost revolution because the Royal Family stuck to tradition and failed to fly the Union Flag at half mast.

But many of those changes were rooted in necessity.
The Queen had to do away with the presentations due to widespread corruption in the process. It was supposed to be that an older woman would present a younger relative, but people were taking fees to present strangers and it got out of control.

The broadcasts and walkabouts were to give the Monarchy a way of interacting with the public.
It wasn't change for the sake of change.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:18 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Organic change I have no problem with. Its when politicians try and legislate fairness and equality in monarchy that things fall apart.
Could you give an example of when politicians have legislated fairness in the British monarchy and the negative effect it had?