The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-05-2012, 06:27 PM
Gentry

Tell me what do you guys think about my assumption to royal styles and titles once full primogeniture is enacted. I believe the title of Prince of Wales should be changed to that of, The Crown Prince of Wales for a male heir apparent, or Crown Princess of Wales for a female heiress. And the entitlement of princely titles for male line grandchildren should be abolished completely, allowing it to die out. The latter titles should be reserved for "the male and female line grandchildren of the British monarch whose son or daughter is the heir/ss apparent and the eldest child of the eldest child of the Crown Prince or Crown Princess of Wales. This would limit the entitlement to princely rank because the children of the Sovereign's sons would not (as male line grandchildren) be eligible for those titles unless their father was the heir apparent. And the eldest son of the eldest son of the Prince of Wales should be changed to the "eldest child of the eldest child of the Crown prince or Crown princess of Wales". What do you guys think?

Old 09-05-2012, 06:40 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

I could agree with the second of your suggestions - that the style of Royal Highness and title of a Prince/Princess should be limited to the children of the Monarch, plus the children of the Heir Apparent. In fact, I'd say what with the tendency to downsize the Royal Family, that's increasingly likely. Alternatively, the style and title can be limited to, say, first 5 people in the Line of Succession (for scenarios when the Monarch is childless, which would mean there would be no Princes and Princesses at all).

However, I strongly disagree in regards to the effective "abolishment" of the Prince of Wales title; the tradition for the Heir Apparent to the Throne being invested at some point as the Prince of Wales is almost a thousand years old. Moreover, it creates a strong bond with Wales. What could be done in regards to the soon-to-be-adopted Equal Primogeniture rules is to allow an Heiress Apparent to be invested as The Princess of Wales in her own right. No changes in law will be required: a female can in fact be a Princess of Wales in her own right (there are no rules against that) - it's just that had never happened before.

Old 09-05-2012, 06:50 PM
Heir Apparent

"Crown Prince of Wales" implies there is a King or Queen of Wales that the Crown Prince is heir to. That is not the case. The person titled Prince of Wales is heir to the British monarch ( and in an earlier age heir to the Kings of England).
Old 09-05-2012, 07:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well, I say that if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Once you start messing with centuries-old traditions, the traditions themselves don't just change, they disappear!

And where do you then draw the line?
Shouldn't equal primogeniture also apply to the aristocracy? If not, why not?
(See, once you start there's no end to it).

(Take Sweden, for example; that was changed to equal primogeniture and now people are questioning whether to even have a monarchy at all. I know Victoria is quite popular, but still the question is there. Same with Norway recently.)
Old 09-05-2012, 08:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
(Take Sweden, for example; that was changed to equal primogeniture and now people are questioning whether to even have a monarchy at all. I know Victoria is quite popular, but still the question is there. Same with Norway recently.)
The relevance of the Swedish and Norwegian monarchies has been questioned in those respective countries long before the question of Equal Primogeniture became a hot topic.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 09-06-2012, 12:03 AM
Heir Apparent

Can't see any reason to apply it to the hereditary peerages since they no longer have the automatic right to sit in the House of Lords/play a role in government. Equal primogeniture might reduce the possibility of the title becoming extinct I suppose but that really doesn't benefit society at all. No reason to go mucking around with something that has no benefit to the country or society in general. The extinction of a peerage really only impacts the family of that peer.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:51 AM
Gentry

When the heir to the title also gets the family castle and the lion's share of the inheritance, it does make a difference. Althorp didn't go to Diana's eldest sister Sarah, it went to her brother, the new Earl Spencer. If equal primogeniture passes for the royal family, I predict a lot of firstborn peers' daughters stirring the pot to get it enacted for peers as well. Realistically though such a measure could only be implemented forward, not backdated to find who the heir apparent ought to be if equal primogeniture had been around; more "from this date, the firstborn legitimate child shall be the heir apparent."
Old 09-06-2012, 04:39 AM
Majesty

I wonder if in the following scenario they will quickly change it:

William has a girl first and then a boy. William dies. The boy becomes Duke of Cambridge but the girl remains as untitled until she becomes Queen.

The LPs for William's titles is 'heirs male of the body' - the standard inheritance clause - like Philip's, Andrew's and Edward's.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:39 AM
Majesty

From everything that I have read there would be little support for children of younger children being HRH - look at the praise for Edward and Anne for not giving their children the HRH. I can see the restriction being that the only grandchildren of the monarch that are HRH are those children of the future monarch and no one.

As for only the eldest son of the eldest son of the Prince of Wales - that was George V's decision for some reason and that is fine with me.

As for a future husband of someone of Beatrice or Eugenie becoming a Prince - no way. If the husbands of daughters of monarchs don't get it then no way the husband's of grandchildren will get.

I am almost of the opinion that even the wives of Princes shouldn't be made into princesses as they weren't born a princess.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue
I am all for it, especially the rule about not being able to marry a Catholic, but then the sovereign would have to lose the title Defender of the Faith.
Actually, under this rule, the MONARCH can't be catholic meaning they are still the head of the church!
Old 09-11-2012, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimebear
I don't like the idea that it will be done retroactively. If Princess Anne was now to pass her brothers in the line of succession, you would have Peter and Zara Phillips in line ahead of 2 HRHs, a Viscount and a Lady grandchildren of the sovereign.
It will only happen to the descendants of Charles! Anne is not affected!
Old 09-12-2012, 02:10 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimebear
I don't like the idea that it will be done retroactively. If Princess Anne was now to pass her brothers in the line of succession, you would have Peter and Zara Phillips in line ahead of 2 HRHs, a Viscount and a Lady grandchildren of the sovereign.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalfamilyresearc

In any case, Peter and Zara are already in line ahead of several HRHs.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:41 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalfamilyresearc

Damn! I wonder what it would have been like for her if she was the first born and equal primogeniture was already in place.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:29 PM
Aristocracy

I could be wrong but it was my understanding it shall affect the children of William not his father. I also think we are making this out to be much more then it is. Once a daughter is born I am sure the laws will change and I feel when the time is right she will be a Duchess of Cornwall, a Princess of Wales, and a Queen.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:35 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeOfAster View Post
I could be wrong but it was my understanding it shall affect the children of William not his father. I also think we are making this out to be much more then it is. Once a daughter is born I am sure the laws will change and I feel when the time is right she will be a Duchess of Cornwall, a Princess of Wales, and a Queen.
The changes will affect the heirs of the current Prince of Wales - that is to say, Prince Charles.
That means that the children of both William and Harry will occupy their places in the Line of Succession based on seniority of birth.

William first-born child, if a daughter will indeed become Queen one day. Whether she'll be the Princess of Wales in her own right is debatable: it has never happened before but there are no laws that would prohibit that. However, she will not become the Duchess of Cornwall unless laws are changed: as things are now, the occupant of that particular title has to be not only the Heir (or Heiress) Apparent to the Throne, but also the Sovereign's eldest surviving son. For instance, if Prince Charles were to predecease his mother, William could never become The Duke of Cornwall (as he'd be the Sovereign's grandson, not son). Personally, I don't think that rules regarding the Duke of Cornwall title will change. After all, there are titles that exist in feminine-form only as well (Queen Consort, Queen Mother, Queen Dowager, Princess Royal).
Old 09-12-2012, 09:19 PM
Nobility

I think they will have to do something about all future heirs. It doesn't seem right that it will be equal for Will's children but not Beatrice's. I agree no current heirs s/b displaced. I think they will do it like Norway - everyone born after x date will be by equal p.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:12 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvr girl
I think they will have to do something about all future heirs. It doesn't seem right that it will be equal for Will's children but not Beatrice's. I agree no current heirs s/b displaced. I think they will do it like Norway - everyone born after x date will be by equal p.
I believe the reason it was set for Williams children is because he will be a furture king and his and Catherine child will be a monarch as well. You will not see others being affected because it is the biggest deal when it is the future Monarch. It was not lesser royals but the heir and the heir child that in a sense "Matters".
Old 09-12-2012, 10:39 PM
Nobility

It might be academic for for those who aren't in the direct line, but they do need to clarify the line of succession. I believe the royal website lists the top 40 aproximately. If Peter Phillips has a son, we he come before or after his sisters?
Old 09-12-2012, 10:49 PM
Gentry

I think it only makes sense that anyone born after x date is affected by the change. It's unnecessarily complicated for the line of succession to have two separate sets of rules, ie anyone ahead of Andrew having equal primogeniture, anyone after him having male primogeniture.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:49 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvr girl
It might be academic for for those who aren't in the direct line, but they do need to clarify the line of succession. I believe the royal website lists the top 40 aproximately. If Peter Phillips has a son, we he come before or after his sisters?
I still think Anne would have made a great queen, She's intelligent, beautiful (inside and outside), tough, funny, dresses well, and has given some great speeches. Plus she's head of 200 charities, and she's smart enough not to get sucked in by the press like Diana. I admire her so much!