The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-23-2011, 03:28 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock221B View Post
Fascinating...under an equal primogeniture law if the heiress apparent/presumptive marries a peer his house will be abolished?
Yes. No. Maybe. It doesn't have anything to do with equal primogeniture succession, except that equal primogeniture succession means that the issue will have to be confronted slightly more often. There wasn't equal primogeniture succession in 1952, yet there's still the House of Windsor instead of the House of Mountbatten, Edinburgh, or Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg.

Old 10-23-2011, 05:43 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
Yes. No. Maybe. It doesn't have anything to do with equal primogeniture succession, except that equal primogeniture succession means that the issue will have to be confronted slightly more often. There wasn't equal primogeniture succession in 1952, yet there's still the House of Windsor instead of the House of Mountbatten, Edinburgh, or Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg.

Elizabeth though was born as a member of the House of Windsor and so there would have been no change in 1952. Any change would take place with the accession of Charles - just as in 1901 Victoria was the last monarch of the House of Hannover and Edward VII became the first King of the House of Saxe-Coburgh Gotha. Same with Mary II who reigned as a member of the House of Stuart and not the House of Orange - although if they had had a child then the royal house would presumably have changed to Orange. Mary I reigned as a Tudor not a Hapsburg despite being married to one - but again if they had had a child then the royal house would have changed to Hapsburg.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:55 PM
Gentry

Order of succession

Naturally I support the change, but I pity those poor zeebs who painstakingly go through and compile the order of succession through thousands of individuals, right down to Karen Vogel.

Once this comes in, a lot of that will have to be revised.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:21 AM
Gentry

I suppose the other remaining piece of sexism is that the husband of a reigning Queen is not called the King consort...
Old 10-26-2011, 10:50 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz_Voz View Post
I suppose the other remaining piece of sexism is that the husband of a reigning Queen is not called the King consort...
Very true. I've thought that if they really wanted to be "fair", that the wife of the reigning King should be titled "Princess Consort", or even use the "Princess Royal" style (I think it's only a style and not a title constrained by LPs?) since it sound better than "Princess Consort". Naturally "Princess Royal" would not be used until the existing holder (Princess Anne) has passed away

Or we can just go with "King Consort", but people will just be a bit confused over who is the real monarch though, as up to now most of the monarches has been a King with the occasional Queen Regina.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:11 AM
Majesty

There was a clip about this on the Today Show. Here's the link for anyone interested. It's called 'Who's Next in Line in the Royal Succession'.

Watch the latest video from TODAY - TODAY.com

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for that tidbit! So we might have something more to look forward to at the Queen's Diamond Jubilee if speculation is true that Parliament will pass this legislature through by then. And it's pretty neat that the reporter said the same thing as I did to a friend of mine the other day: that the three most successful monarchs in British history were females - Elizabeth I, Queen Victoria and Elizabeth II.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:51 AM
Heir Apparent

BBC News - UK royal succession laws changed

UK royal succession laws changed

Sons and daughters of any future British monarch will have equal right to the throne, after Commonwealth leaders changed succession laws.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:17 AM
Heir Presumptive

This is excellent news on both counts. About time! I thought some Commonwealth countries might refuse to approve the changes.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:48 AM
Courtier

That's fantastic! When will it truly be in effect in all 16 realms? I believe Iluvbertie said Australia needed a referendum on the matter so when would all referendums, signatures, etc. be completed?

Again, fantastic news and I hope Spain follows soon!
Old 10-28-2011, 06:54 AM
Serene Highness

Well, that was quick and not too much hassle.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:03 AM
Courtier

An excellent move by the 16 Commonwealth Realms
Old 10-28-2011, 07:54 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Prince William and Kate Middleton's first child will take the throne... even if it's a girl | Mail Online
Old 10-28-2011, 08:11 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Dane View Post
That's fantastic! When will it truly be in effect in all 16 realms? I believe Iluvbertie said Australia needed a referendum on the matter so when would all referendums, signatures, etc. be completed?
It seems this consent did not require a referendum. The question of whether or not Australia becomes a republic is a different matter though, and that will certainly require one as that will mean a change to the constitution.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:25 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
It seems this consent did not require a referendum. The question of whether or not Australia becomes a republic is a different matter though, and that will certainly require one as that will mean a change to the constitution.
Ah understood, thanks for that.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:47 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
BBC News - UK royal succession laws changed

UK royal succession laws changed

Sons and daughters of any future British monarch will have equal right to the throne, after Commonwealth leaders changed succession laws.
That's great news! Hopefully the actual legislating in all of the 16 countries will go smoothly.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:10 AM
Nobility

According to the DM article it will apparently not be retroactive so the current line will not change. The article only mentions William and Kate's children but it'll obviously affect all children born in the line of succession from this point on.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:43 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Part of me is just giggling inside thinking, it'd be rather amusing if Catherine and William have a boy now.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:51 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver_bic View Post
According to the DM article it will apparently not be retroactive so the current line will not change. The article only mentions William and Kate's children but it'll obviously affect all children born in the line of succession from this point on.
To be exact, this apply to all of the offsprings from the current Prince of Wales. Hence Prince Harry and his offsprings, if any, will also be affected.

If by some extremely unlikely reasons, both William and Harry don't produce offsprings and the heir to Prince Wales becomes Prince Andrew and his family or any of Charles' sibling--would the old succession rules come back into play?

Guess we have to wait and see what the exact legislation say.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:55 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Part of me is just giggling inside thinking, it'd be rather amusing if Catherine and William have a boy now.
Indeed!! Wouldn't it be funny if the next few generations has first-born sons--it'd be a century or two before a first-born daughter ascend the throne over her younger brothers.

Come to think....it seems like the last few generations more often than not has sons as the first born? The last time a daughter was first-born was when Queen Victoria gave birth to Princess Victoria? Since then every generation with a King/Queen has a boy as the first born. So if this keep up, it may be quite a while before a girl is first-born.