The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 11:25 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Would that be any different to how it is now? Afaik, they're still The House Of Windsor not Mountbatten.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:15 PM
Heir Apparent

I wonder how a female heiress would be titled, if indeed she receives a modified one i.e. Princess of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall?

Old 10-22-2011, 11:00 PM
Royal Highness

No. As we have seen with the change of the name first to the House of Windsor, and then to Mountbatten-Windsor, the house name will not change.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marmalade View Post
No. As we have seen with the change of the name first to the House of Windsor, and then to Mountbatten-Windsor, the house name will not change.
Its always been the House of Windsor. In 1960 it was decreed though that should any of the descendants of Elizabeth II and Prince Philip need a surname, it would be Mountbatten-Windsor.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:59 PM
Serene Highness

So, William calls himself William Wales when he could/should call himself William Mountbatten-Windsor?
Old 10-23-2011, 01:03 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
So, William calls himself William Wales when he could/should call himself William Mountbatten-Windsor?
Wales is correct for William as he is a Prince of Wales. As Beatrice and Eugenie are "of York", they could use York. Edward and Sophie's children are Mountbatten-Windsor

I think this stipend is mostly for descendants that do not have HRH titles and would make use of a surname.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:10 AM
Majesty

As the house name was change to Windsor only in 1917 for no other reason than to make it more English sounding there is no reason why a future house name change couldn't occur - it is up to the will on the monarch after all.

I actually suspect that if Charles had become King while Lord Mountbatten was still alive and if the Queen Mum had been the one to die in 1979 that the house name would already have changed to simply Mountbatten.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:13 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Its always been the House of Windsor. In 1960 it was decreed though that should any of the descendants of Elizabeth II and Prince Philip need a surname, it would be Mountbatten-Windsor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marmalade View Post
Fascinating...under an equal primogeniture law if the heiress apparent/presumptive marries a peer his house will be abolished? Queen Victoria adopted the house of Prince Albert when they got married and she was already queen! Not allowing the heiress apparent to do the same...couldn't that be called a type of discrimination or blatant disrespect?
Old 10-23-2011, 01:44 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post

As the son of The Prince of Wales he is Prince William OF Wales and Harry is Prince Harry OF Wales so what has happened is that both of them have dropped the 'of' and just used Wales as their name.

This is the same thing with the York princesses - they use 'York' as a name but it isn't really their name at all.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:28 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock221B View Post
Fascinating...under an equal primogeniture law if the heiress apparent/presumptive marries a peer his house will be abolished?
Yes. No. Maybe. It doesn't have anything to do with equal primogeniture succession, except that equal primogeniture succession means that the issue will have to be confronted slightly more often. There wasn't equal primogeniture succession in 1952, yet there's still the House of Windsor instead of the House of Mountbatten, Edinburgh, or Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:43 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
Yes. No. Maybe. It doesn't have anything to do with equal primogeniture succession, except that equal primogeniture succession means that the issue will have to be confronted slightly more often. There wasn't equal primogeniture succession in 1952, yet there's still the House of Windsor instead of the House of Mountbatten, Edinburgh, or Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg.

Elizabeth though was born as a member of the House of Windsor and so there would have been no change in 1952. Any change would take place with the accession of Charles - just as in 1901 Victoria was the last monarch of the House of Hannover and Edward VII became the first King of the House of Saxe-Coburgh Gotha. Same with Mary II who reigned as a member of the House of Stuart and not the House of Orange - although if they had had a child then the royal house would presumably have changed to Orange. Mary I reigned as a Tudor not a Hapsburg despite being married to one - but again if they had had a child then the royal house would have changed to Hapsburg.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:55 PM
Gentry

Naturally I support the change, but I pity those poor zeebs who painstakingly go through and compile the order of succession through thousands of individuals, right down to Karen Vogel.

Once this comes in, a lot of that will have to be revised.

I suppose the other remaining piece of sexism is that the husband of a reigning Queen is not called the King consort...
Old 10-26-2011, 10:50 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz_Voz View Post
I suppose the other remaining piece of sexism is that the husband of a reigning Queen is not called the King consort...
Very true. I've thought that if they really wanted to be "fair", that the wife of the reigning King should be titled "Princess Consort", or even use the "Princess Royal" style (I think it's only a style and not a title constrained by LPs?) since it sound better than "Princess Consort". Naturally "Princess Royal" would not be used until the existing holder (Princess Anne) has passed away

Or we can just go with "King Consort", but people will just be a bit confused over who is the real monarch though, as up to now most of the monarches has been a King with the occasional Queen Regina.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:11 AM
Majesty

There was a clip about this on the Today Show. Here's the link for anyone interested. It's called 'Who's Next in Line in the Royal Succession'.

Watch the latest video from TODAY - TODAY.com

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for that tidbit! So we might have something more to look forward to at the Queen's Diamond Jubilee if speculation is true that Parliament will pass this legislature through by then. And it's pretty neat that the reporter said the same thing as I did to a friend of mine the other day: that the three most successful monarchs in British history were females - Elizabeth I, Queen Victoria and Elizabeth II.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:07 PM
Administrator in Memoriam

>> Succession to the Crown Act 2013