The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-18-2011, 05:59 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
It has to be done before William has children, very simple.
I agree. This needs to be handled prior to the birth of William's heir.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:03 PM
Aristocracy

Under equal primogeniture what will happen to the Prince of Wales title? It is a title usually granted to the heir apparent, which traditionally is the monarch's eldest son. Will the PoW be vacant even if the monarch has a son, who is the eldest son but not the eldest child? And what of the Princess Royal title? Traditionally the eldest daughter, not necessarily the heir apparent, receives this title. Should the eldest daughter be allowed to have access to the duchy of Cornwall because she is the heir apparent? Should custom be changed for the monarch to no longer style their eldest daughter Princess Royal if she is the heir apparent under equal primogeniture? What about the other peerages...changing the line of succession to the throne would put a lot of pressure on them to change their individual lines of succession.

IHMO wait to see if William and Catherine's first child is a daughter to see if changing to equal primogeniture will even matter. If the child is a daughter I'm sure the support would be uncontainable and would crush any challenge to its legitimacy.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock221B View Post
Should the eldest daughter be allowed to have access to the duchy of Cornwall because she is the heir apparent?
Recent legislation actually allows the heir presumptive to be funded through the Duchy, so a female heir apparent would be entitled to funding through it (albeit through slightly convoluted means) even if she wasn't recognized as holding the Duchy itself.

http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/leg_so...provisions.htm

Quote:
It provides that, if the heir is not the Duke of Cornwall and is over 18, the heir is given a grant equal to the Duchy revenues, unless Duchy revenues are more than the Sovereign Grant. The monarch would receive the Duchy revenues, and the Sovereign Grant would be reduced by an equal amount. In effect, the heir would receive the Duchy income.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:25 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
There is currently legislation pending that would allow a female heiress presumptive to receive funding from the Duchy, actually. That would be irrespective of any change in the line of succession.
They would have to change that legislation to state heiress apparent, technically...anyway what I meant is will the heiress apparent inherit the duchy or will it still go to the eldest son?
Old 10-19-2011, 04:35 PM
Royal Highness

I just do not see what the big deal is. Let the first kid be the heir. My goodness, while I LOVE LOVE LOVE the British Royals...at the end of the day, we are not curing cancer here, there are NO major backlashes which could throw the countries of the Commonwealth into despair. It is 2011...let the first baby, no matter the sex, inherit the throne. It is just a big change on paper...tempest in a tea pot.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:55 PM
Aristocracy

I don't think this means much if Females can't inherit peerages as well. It's an uneven situation if a Girl is ahead of her younger Brother in The Line of Succession, but she isn't even in line to her Father's Duchy.

While I commend what Cameron has set up, the unfairness when it comes to peerages, is even more backwards, and is more likely to have an effect on the issue of who does (or doesn't) inherit. I would love to see peerages become semi-salic at least.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Maybe the British government should look at the countries where they have monarchies with equal primogeniture and see how the peerage systems are handled regarding inheritance, if it hasn't already. That might give some guidance about handling future changes in the current system.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:34 PM
Heir Apparent

I think Spain might be the only country that made a change affecting the peerage and from what I have read they seem to have buggered things up and caused a lot of discension in families. Interestingly enough they did not change male preference for succession to the throne.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:11 AM
Super Moderator

We have our answer on whether this change will directly impact peerages:

Ministers bar hereditary peerages from passing to women - Telegraph

Lord Strathclyde, the Leader of the House of Lords, said that proposals to change the law on royal succession would not be extended to peers.

Speaking in the Lords, Lord Strathclyde said: “Changes to the law on succession to the throne can be effected without any change to the legitimate expectations of those in the line of succession. Changes to the rules governing succession to hereditary titles would be far more complicated to implement.”
Old 10-22-2011, 07:56 AM
Majesty

There's an optimistic vibe about the success of the changes towards equal primogeniture. according to The Telegraph.

Royal family: First-born daughter of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will take throne - Telegraph

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:12 AM
Aristocracy

Under this equal primogeniture act...if the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's first child is a daughter, thus the heiress apparent I would presume, and she married a member of the peerage, will the throne change to the house of her husband?
Old 10-22-2011, 11:25 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Would that be any different to how it is now? Afaik, they're still The House Of Windsor not Mountbatten.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:15 PM
Heir Apparent

I wonder how a female heiress would be titled, if indeed she receives a modified one i.e. Princess of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall?
Old 10-22-2011, 11:00 PM
Royal Highness

No. As we have seen with the change of the name first to the House of Windsor, and then to Mountbatten-Windsor, the house name will not change.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marmalade View Post
No. As we have seen with the change of the name first to the House of Windsor, and then to Mountbatten-Windsor, the house name will not change.
Its always been the House of Windsor. In 1960 it was decreed though that should any of the descendants of Elizabeth II and Prince Philip need a surname, it would be Mountbatten-Windsor.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:59 PM
Serene Highness

So, William calls himself William Wales when he could/should call himself William Mountbatten-Windsor?
Old 10-23-2011, 01:03 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
So, William calls himself William Wales when he could/should call himself William Mountbatten-Windsor?
Wales is correct for William as he is a Prince of Wales. As Beatrice and Eugenie are "of York", they could use York. Edward and Sophie's children are Mountbatten-Windsor

I think this stipend is mostly for descendants that do not have HRH titles and would make use of a surname.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:10 AM
Majesty

As the house name was change to Windsor only in 1917 for no other reason than to make it more English sounding there is no reason why a future house name change couldn't occur - it is up to the will on the monarch after all.

I actually suspect that if Charles had become King while Lord Mountbatten was still alive and if the Queen Mum had been the one to die in 1979 that the house name would already have changed to simply Mountbatten.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:13 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Its always been the House of Windsor. In 1960 it was decreed though that should any of the descendants of Elizabeth II and Prince Philip need a surname, it would be Mountbatten-Windsor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marmalade View Post
Fascinating...under an equal primogeniture law if the heiress apparent/presumptive marries a peer his house will be abolished? Queen Victoria adopted the house of Prince Albert when they got married and she was already queen! Not allowing the heiress apparent to do the same...couldn't that be called a type of discrimination or blatant disrespect?
Old 10-23-2011, 01:44 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post

As the son of The Prince of Wales he is Prince William OF Wales and Harry is Prince Harry OF Wales so what has happened is that both of them have dropped the 'of' and just used Wales as their name.

This is the same thing with the York princesses - they use 'York' as a name but it isn't really their name at all.