The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-19-2010, 12:12 PM
Serene Highness

I believe she's the first and only to date.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:59 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Lord Glenconner: Will Princess Margaret's louche confidant betray her most intimate secrets from beyond the grave? | Mail Online

Quote:
He was the last of an old-fashioned breed: titled, moneyed, eccentric, the best friend of the wayward Princess Margaret and the founder of upmarket tourism to the Caribbean.

Now, only a couple of months after he welcomed, with typical elan, his unknown illegitimate son into his family with a huge party at his Scottish baronial castle, Lord Glenconner has died aged 83 — back in the West Indies which have been his home for 40 years.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Ooooh! *Russo licks her chops* Can't wait for this one to be published!
Old 09-08-2010, 11:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

This book sounds very interesting. I've always found Margaret to be a sad yet beautiful, hypocritical figure. She was such a sad person imo.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:25 PM
Gentry

Lord Glenconner and his sur mesure turquoise suits, he better rest in peace now. It is my belief that royal history owes something to the extraordinary Princess Margaret. To my discontent, these intimate secrets may appear as scandalous to some people, even at this day and age. It is no secret that Margaret considered her sister and the rest Windsors as rather rustic, and not to her taste. Their country-inspired notions and interests did not amuse her, fair enough. She was in another league, dared to differ, and this was her crime according to the majority. However the masses can be easily misled and jump to unfair conclusions, which is unpleasant to many of us. I very much tend to believe that time will pay justice to this wonderful person. Farewell!
Old 02-27-2011, 07:16 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post

From the above links...

Princess Margaret's decision not to marry Group Captain Peter Townsend, a divorcee, has always been thought to have been made under pressure and opposition from the Queen, the court and senior members within the Church of England.

But now a newly discovered letter from the Princess turns the story on its head, revealing that she was "uncertain" of her love for Townsend, despite their long-term affair. Far from being forced to act, the Princess's letter to Anthony Eden, the then prime minister, shows that she was determined to take the decision herself of whether to marry Townsend or not.

The letter also makes clear that Princess Margaret was aware that the government was paving the way for a marriage if she and Townsend wanted it. In addition, and no less important, the latest papers confirm that had the couple married, the Princess would have been required to surrender nothing more than her right of succession to the throne. She would have retained her style and rank of Royal Highness together with her Civil List annuity. That may at last put to rest the often-voiced but mistaken opinion that she chose to put the privileges of being a royal princess before everything else.

end of quotes
- - - - - - -

There was no legal impediment stopping Princess Margaret from marrying Peter Townsend and under the terms of the Act of Settlement she would not have lost her place in the Line of Succession. Therefore it's curious that the government would insist on her displacement which could only be achieved by an Act of Parliament depriving her of her rights.
Given that at the time the Queen had two direct successors in Charles and Anne (making Margaret third in line) the proposition seems somewhat extreme and heavy-handed.

There can have been no lonlier place to be than in Princess Margarets' shoes following the death of her beloved father. In the drawing of his final breath her tight family unit, "us four" became single individuals in grief. Elizabeth had a husband and children, not to mention a country!!! to fill her time whilst Mummy was in a place reserved for a woman in shock at losing, too soon her husband. It would be unsurprising if Margaret felt abandonned especially as she was regarded as being her father' favourite, the one who made him laugh, the one to whom he could deny nothing. Consolation for having been the second born as had he - maybe.
Might this have been the moment that what ever was in the embryonic stages with Peter Townsend went up a notch? Out of ones' mind with grief is no throwaway line. So there could have been a situation developing, which otherwise may have not, because too absorbed in their own grief, there was no one to steer it in another direction. I have a sense of her, psychologically stamping her dainty little Royal foot and reminding those by whom she felt ignored that she was THE Princess Margaret and if they continued to treat her as if she was of no importance she would do something that would really make them sit up and take notice........and she did, but having read her letter I can't dismiss the feeling that she became "hoist by her own petard." The letter, to me, is a fait accompli, but it backfired. Ther government were paving the way for the marriage to happen. She had what she wanted.........but did she really want it!!!? However, by now, she had the one thing I believe she wanted from the start - to be NOTICED. Not just by her mother and her sister, but by the whole world. A very powerful, heady place to be which she put to advantage........she delayed her decision.
Backtracking comes to mind, coupled with cold feet. Was there a sudden need to extricate herself from a situation that had got out of hand? Now it was available to her, did she see the reality instead of the fantasy and
at some point had she longed for somebody with enough authority to say ENOUGH? I find it very difficult to accept that PT was the love of her life.She was unique. A Star, albeit a frequently frustrated one for whom the gilded cage was sometimes a trap, but one she couldn't live outside of for too long.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:35 PM
Heir Apparent

What you say makes a great deal of sense, Tsaritsa. Princess Margaret would have been so young when her father died and hadn't had the opportunity to begin her own family. When a person's in grief, especially in the initial stages, so much doesn't make sense. In "falling in love" with Captain Townsend, PM had an attachment of her own and probably built up castles in the air of what a life with him would have been like. Loneliness is a powerful feeling as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsaritsa View Post
It would be unsurprising if Margaret felt abandonned especially as she was regarded as being her father' favourite, the one who made him laugh, the one to whom he could deny nothing. Consolation for having been the second born as had he - maybe.
Might this have been the moment that what ever was in the embryonic stages with Peter Townsend went up a notch? Out of ones' mind with grief is no throwaway line.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:49 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by la_noblesse View Post
Lord Glenconner and his sur mesure turquoise suits, he better rest in peace now. It is my belief that royal history owes something to the extraordinary Princess Margaret. To my discontent, these intimate secrets may appear as scandalous to some people, even at this day and age. It is no secret that Margaret considered her sister and the rest Windsors as rather rustic, and not to her taste. Their country-inspired notions and interests did not amuse her, fair enough. She was in another league, dared to differ, and this was her crime according to the majority. However the masses can be easily misled and jump to unfair conclusions, which is unpleasant to many of us. I very much tend to believe that time will pay justice to this wonderful person. Farewell!
"The masses can be easily misled", my friend Schnitzel would not have chosen another expression herself. Welcome to the forums. It is a bit sad that Princess Margaret seems almost forgotten nowadays. She is not yet ten years gone.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:14 AM
Gentry

@Blackadder Thank you! I assume you are referring to Princess Marina's daughter-in-law. A highly intelligent woman, such people tend to be quite truthful. And why is that? In a nutshell, because they know that what the others think about them does not matter. As for Princess Margaret, she was unique, sui generis. She did her thing, had a parallel life, so to speak, to her rather boring sister and to the tedious establishment she represents, and people were not and still aren't willing to forgive Margaret for that. But I have faith in the future generations of journalists and historians, my friend. Farewell!
Old 02-28-2011, 11:39 AM
Gentry

"her boring sister" you mean Elizabeth? Have you ever seen a picture of the young Elizibeth?
sorry Elizabeth
Old 03-03-2011, 12:36 PM
Gentry

@Conny Yes, I have. What does that have to do with our discussion?
Old 03-15-2011, 09:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

I don't know if Townsend was the love of Margaret's life, but she seems never to have had a deep emotional attachment afterwards.

In a book I've been reading called Royal Pains, she is quoted as having made the decision to marry Tony on the same day she received Townsend's letter telling her of his engagement to a young Belgian girl.

She said "it was not a coincidence."

To me, she seemed a sad, disappointed woman.
I suppose she found some consolation in her children, but I doubt they could entirely make up for such a humiliating, disastrous marriage.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:49 PM
Gentry

It always seemed to me that Margaret and Townsend didn't love each other enough to overcome all the social barriers and be partners in life, even if not necessarily spouses. The Princess's sadness was due to various reasons, including an unfulfilled love of course. All the sudden changes that followed the Abdication Crisis, the emotional detachment from her older sister, who was to be Queen, her new role, the complicated relationship with her mother, as Margaret was often rude to her, the early death of her beloved father and so on. It's not easy to describe one's psychology in a few lines. What is essential to be said at this point is that the unfortunate affair with Peter Townsend wasn't the catalyst, as many people tend to believe.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:18 PM
Serene Highness

Margaret spoke with Elizabeth Longford, a biographer of the Queen, in the 1980s and told her that the application by law of the Royal Marriages Act was never explained to her and Townsend. If it had been, Margaret felt that they would have understood from the start the hopelessness of the situation and Townsend would have departed with no major tragedy.

Of course many people were enchanted by the prospect of a love match, including Winston Churchill, who at first thought the idea smashing! When it was pointed out to him that others did not see the situation in the same light, Clementine reportedly said, "Winston, if you are going to begin the Abdication all over again, I'm going to leave! I shall take a flat and go and live in Brighton." Churchill came to his senses and felt he could not recommend consent to the marriage unless Princess Margaret renounced all her royal rights.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:20 PM
Serene Highness

It seems that the only member of the Royal Family who was not captivated by Margaret's charm and wit was Queen Mary. Has anyone else read this and have any examples of the old Queen's disapproval of her young granddaughter's behavior?
Old 03-31-2011, 11:07 PM
Serene Highness

Funny how the passage of time changes all things!!!! The situation that Margaret and Peter Townsend found themselves in would be considered ridiculous today. You must remember that Princess Margaret was the first member of the royal family to obtain a divorce since Henry VIII divorced Anne of Cleves. It was tragic. If she could have married her true love, perhaps she would have been happy and lived a longer life.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:06 PM

Princess Margaret has been described as the most unpopular royal. I DETEST that. The Countess of Snowden was my FAVOURITE royal actually. I apsolutely adore her. I feel like she was truely given a very raw deal in life. She was always second best to her sister no matter what she did or what talents she had to offer because Princess Elizabeth was to be Queen. Margaret even said once I was Margaret of York, now I am nothing. Which referred to her father ascending to the throne after the abdication and Elizabeth being elavated above her (though Princess Elizabeth was still technically Heiress Presumptive prior to the abication crisis.) Princess Margaret always was a free spirit who saught attention, however after the Townsend affair she was brutally harrassed by the press for literally everything she did. Quite the opposite of Diana who could 'do no wrong.' Both woman were good people and both had faults but Margaret was unfairly depicted in the tabloids, they only saw her faults if not invented or inflated them. I agree with a lot of what Tsaritsa said, however I fully believe she WAS in love with Peter Townsend. I believe her life would have been so much different and happier if she would have been permitted to marry him. I understand that the abdication crisis was still in the minds of the government and church, but Townsend was found not be a fault in the marriage, therefore not the guilty party. He was a WAR HERO and friend of the government and Royal Family. He was someone to look up to. Also in a poll by the Daily Mirror about whether she should be able to marry him 96.81% out of over 70,000 that responded said she ought to be able to marry him. Telling her she could only marry him if she gave up her rights to succession and that she must marry in a civil marriage abroad was a huge insult, and apsolutely humiliating. Princess Margaret already felt she was the 'less important one' giving up her succession rights meant that she now literally meant nothing, and that her life of service thus far amounted to nothing in the end. I Love Princess Margaret, both her and her sisters pictures are on my wall proudly and I will defend her til the grave, she was a very special person to me and I pray for not only the living royal family every night but also those who have died and Margaret is ALWAYS mentioned by name. I hope with my heart of hearts that she is happy wherever she is now, may she rest in peace.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:58 AM
Gentry

@JimmyA I understand your infatuation with Princess Margaret. She was special but her low popularity is not without reason. Perhaps you have already heard or read that she was so full of herself and had rather lofty ideas about her rank and position in life, or am I the first to tell you that? The majority of the people will always misinterpret and even dislike royals with such notions. Despite that, she remains one of my favorite British royals, too.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:25 PM

@ la noblesse
Lol. No you are not the first to say that to me. =) The difference is you worded most respectfully and understandable. I have made a study of her life, and as I said on the post above I believe that, in my eyes anyway, her faults were forgivable in the face of her positive attributes and emotionally hard times. Plus there is a certain point which every human probably understands, at least romantics anyway, where you just don't care what anyone thinks, and someone can say what they want about a person and no matter what, that person is just perfect to you. Which is how I feel about the Countess =) =)
Old 05-10-2011, 02:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by la_noblesse View Post
Perhaps you have already heard or read that she was so full of herself and had rather lofty ideas about her rank and position in life, or am I the first to tell you that?
Oh we have heard all about it, however NOBODY could cut Royally like Margaret! What a woman!

Tags
countess of snowdon, princess margaret, wedding