The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-13-2009, 01:01 PM

Hello

I made the following post in the Princess Anne forum but Iowabelle kindly informed me it was more likely to be Princess Margaret, can anyone help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Lee View Post
Hello

This is a long shot but I wondered if anyone could trace a quote I believe was made by Princess Anne.

She spoke about only taking her children to an art gallery to see one painting at a time so she could educate them beforehand and so they would fully appreciate the piece without getting bored.

Ok, so that's a very long shot but you never know.

Thanks for your time!

Old 05-28-2009, 05:33 AM
Commoner

Princess Margaret's scolding letter to the Duchess of York

Hi everyone, would anyone have the script of the letter sent by Princess Margaret to the Duchess of York regarding her behaviour in the early 90's please?.........It has not been published in full on the internet but it was published in Newspapers of the time

many thanks

Old 05-28-2009, 06:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

This is what I found , it's not the full version unfortunately:

All in all, there was a fair measure of hypocrisy in the infamous letter of rebuke that Margaret wrote to the Duchess of York in response to the flowers Fergie once sent her as a peace offering.
Fergie had been exposed three years earlier for her toe-sucking episode with American John Bryan, and Margaret had never forgiven her. 'Not once have you hung your head in embarrassment, even for a minute, after those disgraceful photographs,' Margaret stormed in her letter.
'Clearly, you have never considered the damage you are causing us all. How dare you discredit us like this, and how dare you send me those flowers

The queen of hedonism | Mail Online

I am sure the full version is out there somewhere:)

What a hypocrite of a princess!
Old 05-28-2009, 10:17 AM
Administrator

some quotes from the above article:

For no one in the Royal Family's 20th century history has lived life quite so completely, or so dangerously, as Princess Margaret. She got away with it because she was the Queen's sister. This made her immovable, whatever she got up to. Had she been a mere peripheral, or, even worse, someone who had married into the Royal Family, like the Princess of Wales or the Duchess of York, the full might of Palace displeasure would have been mobilised to crush her.

The way her fingers ran lightly over a piano keyboard as she sang popular songs gave her a touch of the showgirl that men found titillatingly attractive, especially in a princess.

Over the years, the 'Margaret Set' of old, which had largely been a collection of aristocrats, began to change until it was a circle of showbusiness figures. These included Swedish actress Britt Ekland, Russian ballet dancer Rudolf Nureyev, all four of the Beatles (George Harrison once asked Margaret if she could help when he was 'busted' for possessing cannabis - 'I don't really think so, it could become a little sticky,' she told him. 'Sorry, George.').

These people were often summoned to her home for parties at which the Princess was never slow to demonstrate her skill as a pianist. She so loved the company of people in showbusiness that some friends believe she missed her vocation by not moving into it herself - though if she had, it would have been as a ballet dancer.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:26 AM
Courtier

She was beautiful, royal, rich and lived her life to the full but who could envy her?
Old 05-28-2009, 02:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

In a recent "Vanity Fair" issue I read an excerpt from a book about the Princess and the entire article was not too complimentary.
It mentioned the much discussed attitute and snobishness of hers and how difficult a guest she always was. One item that really was news to me was about her attitude towards her mother. According to the article, she was insulting the QM in front of the footmen and was very disrespectful of her.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:44 PM
Heir Apparent

That is surprising. One would think that Princess Margaret,who could be unbelievably royal, would show more respect to the woman who was a Queen Consort as well as her mother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odette View Post
One item that really was news to me was about her attitude towards her mother. According to the article, she was insulting the QM in front of the footmen and was very disrespectful of her.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:13 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
That is surprising. One would think that Princess Margaret,who could be unbelievably royal, would show more respect to the woman who was a Queen Consort as well as her mother.
I recall reading something about Margaret being disrespectful to her mother, but I can't recall where so don't know if it was a reliable source or not. What springs to memory is that Margaret thought it very significant that she had royal blood, whereas her mother had only married into royalty.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:36 AM
Administrator

In one of the recent TV documentaries it was said that after the death of George VI both Margaret and the Queen Mother had a hard time of it because neither had much support and were very much "alone". I found this an odd statement because although Elizabeth may have been weighed down and preoccupied with Queenly duties, Margaret and the Queen Mother had each other. It was said that the King doted on Margaret and she doted on him, but there was no examination of the mother-daughter relationship. Maybe this is a subject worth investigating, as well as the Queen Mother's role in the Peter Townsend debacle. The claim that Margaret had made less than flattering remarks about her mother, if correct, may have indicated some residual bitterness.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:12 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

In response to Warren's comment above, I have never really gotten a good explanation as to what was going on with the Queen Mother following 1952. It seems she was deeply depressed and was simultaneously making it difficult for the younger Elizabeth to establish herself as queen (but nobody has ever said what she was doing) and threatening to vanish a la Queen Victoria, which explains her passion for the Castle of Mey. I think it was Winston Churchill who finally talked the Queen Mother out of her funk and got her back into royal service. (I do have some sympathy for the Queen Mother, she was still a relatively young woman, only 52, when her husband died, and she really hadn't been able to enjoy much of the reign due to the restrictions of the war.)

But Margaret seems to have been left to flounder around on her own, without a clearly defined role in the Royal Family, without a personal life purpose and without a mate until she found Armstrong-Jones (and his suitability was questionable, although I don't think the Queen had the heart to say no after the Townsend debacle).

If that show I watched is correct, and Margaret decided to give up Townsend after a weekend with the Queen and DoE, it's probable "Mummy" had a word with the Queen, since Mummy was the one who was so easily offended by divorced persons. Don't you agree?
Old 05-29-2009, 04:39 PM
Courtier

I may be mistaken but didn´t the Queen mother buy the Castle of Mey at a much later date than when her daughter was a young Queen?
I think her passion for Mey was first that it was in Scotland and secondly it was a place she could really call her own and plant her own garden without anyone saying it belonged to the Crown and she couldn´t do this or that.
It is beautiful so no wonder she fell in love with it and bought it.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:14 PM
Nobility

The Queen Mother purchased the Castle of Mey in 1952. Hope this link works. The Castle of Mey | History
Old 05-29-2009, 07:24 PM
Royal Highness

I know the Queen Mother was looking for a project, and having this derelict castle to fix up gave her an excuse to absent herself. It does make sense, though, that if you're depressed you'd look for something to immerse yourself in.
Old 05-30-2009, 04:36 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraB View Post

The Queen Mother purchased the Castle of Mey in 1952. Hope this link works. The Castle of Mey | History
I don´t know where I got the idea that it was a later acquisition, thank you for correcting me.
It was a very interesting project for her whatever her motives,a very beautiful place.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:19 PM
Royal Highness

Yes, I do agree, Wisteria. It's a lovely thing to have left to the nation, to be enjoyed by all. (I don't have a problem with her motives; I think it's a perfectly understandable reaction to unhappiness; if only I could afford to fix up a castle!)
Old 05-31-2009, 07:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
The article of Vanity Fair issue of February 2009 was an excerpt from a book written by Anne de Courcy on Snowdon. The whole artice is available on line from Vanity Fair. Unfortunately I do not know how to move it here.
Unfortunately Princess Margaret did not always behave very royally.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:24 AM
Administrator

Here is the link to the Vanity Fair excerpt on Princess Margaret:
Excerpt: The Princess and the Photographer | vanityfair.com

Regarding the relationship between Margaret and her mother, there is this:

...Then came lunch, with the Queen Mother and members of the household.
With them she was not always popular, in part because of her frequent rudeness to her mother. “Why do you dress in those ridiculous clothes?” she would ask, and she would become furious that drinks before lunch (notorious for their potency) would sometimes go on for an hour. The television set at Royal Lodge was another cause of trouble: Princess Margaret would simply switch it to another channel without a word if she did not like what the Queen Mother was watching. Yet the Queen Mother never lost her temper. Only by her hands could those who had served her for a long time tell that she was annoyed. “It was the way she moved a book, a piece of furniture, or a glass,” recalled her page William Tallon.
Margaret was equally inconsiderate to her mother’s staff...
It was a perversity that can perhaps be explained by the fact that—unlike the Queen Mother and the Queen, who had successively been the first lady in the land—Margaret, always number two, was determined to insist on her royal status.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Lee View Post
Hello

I made the following post in the Princess Anne forum but Iowabelle kindly informed me it was more likely to be Princess Margaret, can anyone help?
Yes, it was Princess Margaret, and not princess Anne, who take her children to the art gallery to see only one picture.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Interesting quote, Warren, am wondering if she acted that way because she didn't get Townsend??
Old 06-04-2009, 09:02 PM
Heir Apparent

That's true. It's too bad, because she certainly looked like everyone's idea of a princess when she was a young woman.

MAJESTY's May edition had an article about Princess Margaret's tour of Europe when she was a very young woman. She looked like a princess in a movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odette View Post
Unfortunately Princess Margaret did not always behave very royally.

Tags
countess of snowdon, princess margaret, wedding