The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-29-2007, 07:27 AM
Heir Apparent

I am not too sure if this question has been raised before, but i have always wondered that since Princess Margaret was alived, she was the Queen's sister and she was dedicated to the monarchy and was hard-working Royal in supporting her sister as well. But to the end of her life, she had never receiced the Order of the Garter or Thistle at all, anyone know why?

God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 12-29-2007, 12:40 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMQueenElizabethII View Post
But to the end of her life, she had never receiced the Order of the Garter or Thistle at all, anyone know why?
There's one person who knows, but she has never said anything about it as far as I know.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:35 PM
Heir Apparent

My those pictures of Margaret are lovely! Cecile Beaton does very good work!
Old 01-07-2008, 09:39 AM
Nobility

Lord Snowdon is telling a biographer of his about his marriage to Margaret and what really happened. Sounds interesting. Never thought he would do it.
Lord Snowdon to tell all on Royal marriage - Telegraph
Old 01-07-2008, 10:33 AM
Royal Highness

Princess Margart epitomized that 1950's glamour and was a vital, exciting woman. I love seeing those portraits and photos of her in the full skirted ball gowns!

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 01-07-2008, 01:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie28 View Post
Lord Snowdon is telling a biographer of his about his marriage to Margaret and what really happened. Sounds interesting. Never thought he would do it.
Does he need the money or is he looking more of his 15 minutes? There is no reason other than that IMO.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:47 PM
Gentry

I find it amazing that so many young people do not even know who she was. Margaret was certainly exceptionally beautiful, but I thought that the Queen was even more so in her youth. They were both very different, the Princess being somewhat out on a limb I always thought. She never really had a "role." I am shocked to hear what Lord Snowdon plans to do, never thought that he would do something like this.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:18 PM
Aristocracy

My favorite photo of Princess Margaret is one that Lord Snowdon took of her--her hair was pulled back, and it looked quite long, and she was wearing the Poltimore tiara (my fave tiara ever). IMO, Princess Margaret was the most beautiful royal bride ever. Timeless.

My favorite photo of the Snowdons, I believe was taken by Lord Litchfeld. It is in the Gardens of Kensington Palance. Princess Margaret and Lord Snowdon are sitting in the grass, not even looking at the camera. Princess Margaret is holding Lady Sarah and Viscount Linley is standing in between his parents with his arms around them.
Lovely photo.

I am actually quite surprised Lord Snowdon is writing okay'ing this biography now. I recall reading somewhere (can't remember, so I could be wrong) that he was completely put off my Diana and Fergie and their tell-alls, and media blitz surrounding them.
Lord Snowdon always struck me as such a gentlemen, and I really had the sense that he and Princess Margaret had gotten close again, as friends, as they got older? Not sure where I remember reading that, it may have been around the time of the princess's death. I believe their was even speculation at one point that Viscount Linley and Lady Sarah called their father and the 3 of them were with the Princess when she died. I think that was eventually refuted. I think Lord Snowdon is in relatively good standing with the RF now (he took the Diamond anniversary photos?). Anyway, just a little surprsed. Although it must have been really hard for him to hear his whole life, he was the Princess's rebound. I always thought they were probably more in love with each other than the public ever believed, but that's not a good story. Makes Princess Margaret a much more tragic creature if she was pining away for Group Captain Peter Townsend her whole life.
Oh well---sorry for the ramble. Princess Margaret is my favorite member of the RF. I always love chatting about her and was so sad when she passed.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie28 View Post
Well, I guess he is doing as he said, planning to write about his life, and of course his life includes many years with PM. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. I suppose it is common when a person reaches a certain point in life, they wish to write their memoirs and look back on their life, having a better understanding of what is important.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:43 AM
Serene Highness

I agree with Rice about Lord Snowdon being a gentleman. I don't think he'll reveal anything which would upset or embarass the RF.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:09 PM

Yep. It's like the author (of the projected book) said in that article from the Telegraph. Overall he has had a good life and now in his ripe age he wants to put it down on paper. Better to do it himself, or more precisely, share it himself with the person who will be writing it, than to have other people botch up his reputation after he is dead. He loved PM, and she was mother of his children, and he loves The Queen and Prince Philip too, so he has nothing to gain from embarrassing them. Lord knows, he doesn't need money; I'm sure he's always making more of it from the rights to his photography....
Old 01-11-2008, 03:51 AM
Commoner

</title> <title>Images of Queen Elisabeth and Princess Margaret - PRINCESS MARGARET IN ZANZIBAR
Old 01-14-2008, 09:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Lovely!
Every inch a Princess!
Old 01-14-2008, 09:55 PM
Nobility

As Princess Margaret being my favorite princess, I have to say she was the last real princess. If Zara were a princess she would be just like Margaret, she is in personality and everything else but not the title. There will never be another princess like Margaret or should I say ma'm darling!
Old 01-15-2008, 09:14 PM
Aristocracy

I thought I read somewhere that Lord Snowdon used to call her "PM-darling"
Old 01-15-2008, 10:47 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice View Post
I thought I read somewhere that Lord Snowdon used to call her "PM-darling"
He probably did. I don't think she let people just call her just Margaret it was either ma'm, Your Royal Highness, or for people she was close to it was ma'm darling.I read she would get mad at people that did not adress her properly.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:09 PM
Imperial Majesty

According to the Telegraph, Robert Brown, the man who claims to be Princess Margaret and Peter Townsend's illegitimate son, has won the right to have a hearing over his demand to access the wills of Princess Margaret and the Queen Mother.

Princess Margaret 'love child' wins wills hearing - Telegraph

In the article it says that if he's correct that he's Princess Margaret's son, it would make him 12th in line for the throne. Apparently the Telegraph writer doesn't appreciate that being an illegitimate child would bar him from the succession.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:30 PM
Nobility

"She was far too intelligent for her station in life." Gore Vidal
Old 02-08-2008, 02:34 PM
Serene Highness

What is this guy hoping to achieve? Does he really think that - after a lifetime where she did not visit him or contact him or acknowledge him - she left him something in her will? This makes absolutely no sense to me.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:47 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
In the article it says that if he's correct that he's Princess Margaret's son, it would make him 12th in line for the throne. Apparently the Telegraph writer doesn't appreciate that being an illegitimate child would bar him from the succession.
And apparently the fact that Margaret's children were bumped down to 13th and below in the succession with the birth of Viscount Severn has escaped them too.

Tags
countess of snowdon, princess margaret, wedding