The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-22-2007, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie28 View Post
Oh, I think him and Margaret both had a little fling with the same gender, but he played around with a lot more women.
Despite what many drunk straight guys believe, sleeping with someone of the same gender makes you just that little bit bisexual.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:52 PM
Nobility

Many people said Princess Margaret had a relationship with a lady named Sharman Douglas or something like that, after the Townsend thing.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:54 PM

They did cover that in that ghastly Channel 4 documentary but I can't really see Princess Margaret as a lesbian to be honest. She had too many shoes.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:57 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
They did cover that in that ghastly Channel 4 documentary but I can't really see Princess Margaret as a lesbian to be honest. She had too many shoes.
That's funny.No she wasn't a lesbian, she just didn't pick her men right.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:04 PM
Nobility

Well she didn't. Think about it there was Peter Townsend who was 15 years her senior and was a divorcee with two young sons, not good for a princess of that time, then there was Lord Snowdon, who knew he wasn't going to fit in that life right, then there was Robin Douglas-Home the old PM's nephew, who committed suicide and then there was Roddy Llewellyn who was 15 years her junior.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:11 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie28 View Post
Many people said Princess Margaret had a relationship with a lady named Sharman Douglas or something like that, after the Townsend thing.
Sharman Douglas was a friend of Princess Margaret's, certainly not a lesbian relationship. I believe she was the daughter of an ambassador. I did take note many years ago that Sharman Douglas was the only person in the world apart from family who was allowed to call the princess "Margaret."
Old 10-24-2007, 01:45 PM
Serene Highness

Alot of women have very close friendships with other women and are not lesbians. Not that there's anything wrong with being a lesbian. It wouldn't surprise me if Pss Margaret "experimented" a bit. Esp. during the "anything" goes atmosphere she was a part of during the 60's/early 70s. She did seem like the type to try anything once.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Funny. I doubt shoes are indicative of anything, though. I mean, plenty of lesbians are very girly and feminine. It's just the masqueline (sp) stereotype which has the common association and attracts the jokesters. But I agree that Margaret probably was not a lesbian. If she experimented once or twice, that still doesn't make her a lesbian. Lesbian implies a lifestyle. Sexual experimentation is fleeting; it's not a one's lifestyle. She was in love with Townsend, a man; then she married another man, and had an affair with a third man. If she tried things with her friend Sharman as a young woman, that's hardly a lifestyle. It's just a young woman exploring the world, I guess. I never heard the lesbian theory about Margaret. It's a new idea for me. I wonder if the lesbian rumors came about. during the actual years of the Margaret-Douglas party years (1950s) or perhaps they were a subsequent invention?
Old 10-24-2007, 07:24 PM
Heir Apparent

I swear people just bandy their alternative sexuality about as it is "in".
Old 10-24-2007, 10:08 PM

This is where my liberal annoying theory about sexuality comes in. There are no heterosexuals, there are no homosexuals - there are just humans who fall in love.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:27 AM
Commoner

Homosexuals

Quote:
This is where my liberal annoying theory about sexuality comes in. There are no heterosexuals, there are no homosexuals - there are just humans who fall in love.
If you had ever given birth to or brought up a child who was homosexual you would know how wrong you are. There are homosexuals from birth.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:32 AM

I'm homosexual myself but my comment was supposed to highlight that there was no need for labelling Margaret a lesbian or bisexual. Who fell in love with who she fell in love with, she slept with who she slept with. Terminology doesn't come into it IMO.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:39 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilibet80 View Post
Sharman Douglas was a friend of Princess Margaret's, certainly not a lesbian relationship. I believe she was the daughter of an ambassador. I did take note many years ago that Sharman Douglas was the only person in the world apart from family who was allowed to call the princess "Margaret."
Sharman was daughter of the American ambassador.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:01 PM
Nobility

The bottom line is Margaret was not a Lesbion!
Old 10-25-2007, 08:08 PM
Heir Apparent

She sure was beautiful. I would have wanted to have a mint martini with her, that's for sure!
Old 10-25-2007, 11:26 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
She sure was beautiful. I would have wanted to have a mint martini with her, that's for sure!
She'd have been great as a guest a a cocktail party!
Old 12-08-2007, 06:09 PM
Aristocracy

Princess Margaret and Sexuality

I saw a picture of her in the frontispiece of a Brittanica yearbook circa 1960. That formed my ideal of feminine beauty and she still is. I did a drawing from that picture. She was undeniably lovely.

I recall she said she was constitutionally irrelevant (USA citizens need to understand the UK constitution is unwritten, but it exists), so that left her with no mission in life other than to be beautiful. I also recall reading she wanted to be a leader of fashion, but she was too short.

So we are left to wonder about her sexuality.

Its sad to think she had it all - looks, money, rank and she drew a blank in the love and romance department. She did have children so she could be thankful for that.

This is the picture, colorized:
< image posted in contravention of copyright law and the Forum picture posting rules and therefore removed >
The two pizza boxes below are failed links.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Well hell! Too short for fashion. I thought her just right!
Old 12-10-2007, 11:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Well she mothered two children, fell in love with a man she couldn't have, married another who didn't feel obliged to toe her line and dated a nobody...who else knows...

Do I think Margaret's sexuality is something secretive? No. It's evidently clear she was an heterosexual woman, or a woman who preferred men. Could have she endeavoured a sexual curiosity? I'm assuming so but even if Margaret had been intimate with another woman, I hardly think that that then questions the legitimacy of her sexual orientation.

Though, in my mind, it's not always about the gender, but the person and how it is that person may make you feel, even if only for a few moments. A closeness which can be shared by man and woman, man and man or woman and woman is hardly something to be questioned or dissected for general curiosity. It is what it is and that's a beautiful thing.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 12-28-2007, 12:36 AM
Aristocracy

Revised Posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogm View Post
IThis is a link to the picture, colorized:
http://inlinethumb31.webshots.com/34...600x600Q85.jpg
This should make the removed picture accessible.

For full access, please see:
Grand Ladies of the Recent Past pictures from fashion photos on webshots .

Tags
countess of snowdon, princess margaret, wedding