The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-19-2011, 03:10 AM
Heir Presumptive

I have a soft spot for Margaret. First I HATE how the media, perhaps its just the British media; constantly put the label of the heir being the good one, and the second child being the bad one. It really angers me at how closeminded it is as well as hurtful to the person being labeled like that.
Party Flirty Princess Margaret
Randy Andy
Wild Red haired drug taking Prince Harry
No wonder the last on that list opened a can of whoop a** on the press. Anyway, not only does Margaret have the unfortunate life of being second best to her sister, but she was also denied marrying the man she loved.

Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 06-26-2011, 06:59 AM
Heir Apparent

Margaret was a very beautiful woman.She looks like her mother but has her fathers eyes.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:27 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasillisos Markos View Post
. Didn't Margaret make some comment about her mother being a mere aristocrat whereas Margaret was born a Royal Highness?
I don't know about Princess Margaret havint said this, but interestingly have seen this remark attributed to Princess Michael of Kent but about the Queen Mother: allegedly [and note, I said allegedly, because who really knows whether such a remark was made] when Princess Michael was complaining about the 'unfairness' of Prince Michael NOT being on the Civil List [as it was then - now the Queen reimburses family expenditure], Princess Michael said that both her husband's parents were 'Royal Highnesses', whereas the Queen Mother was only a mere aristocrat'.

I have no way of knowing whether PMK did make such a remark or not, but if she did, then she was in one sense perhaps slighly misled because many Scots maintain their old aristocratic families are far more grander than the BRF!!!!!!

Alex
Old 07-12-2011, 11:22 AM
Aristocracy

Hi,

I do like and admire Princess Michael; she lives her life as she sees fit, remarks and all; but I often wonder if the statements attributed to her are accurate or evn real....

No matter - at the time The Queen Mother was "Her Majesty" and that makes her royal....

Larry
Old 07-12-2011, 09:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Here is an interesting story about her:

Scandalous Women: Royal Princess, Royal Scandal - the sad life of Princess Margaret
Old 07-27-2011, 04:59 PM
Commoner

How Did Princess Margaret React To Princess Anne Divorce/Remarriage in 1992?

I remember that it was reported that Princess Margaret was forced to end her relationship with the then divorced Peter Townsend, back in 1955, due to significant considerations of a social and religious nature at that time.

it has been reported in the Mail Online, last updated on November 8, 2009, that the Queen may not have forced her to do so, after all.

Princess Margaret rejected marriage to Townsend 'because she was unsure, not out of duty' | Mail Online

It has crossed my mind that with The Princess Royal both divorcing and remarrying in 1992, that there might have been some ill feelings in the difference of treatment of the two situations on Princess Margaret's part?

Does anyone have any information or opinions that they would like to share on this topic, please?
Old 07-27-2011, 05:09 PM
Administrator

Is best not to speculate on Margaret's thoughts on the mattter....if anyone has anything to contribute and can cite some sources that would be welcomed.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

All around it is so sad to see such a beautiful and lively woman be destroyed by her station in life as well as her choices.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:55 PM
Majesty

By 1992 Margaret herself had been divorced so no problems with Anne being divorced.

Her feelings about Anne being able to remarry - well we will probably never know. I don't recall any suggestions that Margaret herself wanted to remarry after her divorce and was denied so the situations aren't comparable.

We could speculate I suppose but...
Old 08-01-2011, 07:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Just finished watching on Youtube a docudrama called The Queen, I believe it was made by the BBC. And in part 5 it is mentioned that those opposed to Prince Charles marrying Camilla were The Queen Mother (of course) and Princess Margaret. I was really surprised about Margaret being opposed to it, does anyone know of why when she was a divorce herself?
Old 08-01-2011, 07:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Perhaps she had a personal dislike for Camilla? Also, I believe that Princess Margaret was sympathetic to Diana's plight until the 90s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
And in part 5 it is mentioned that those opposed to Prince Charles marrying Camilla were The Queen Mother (of course) and Princess Margaret. I was really surprised about Margaret being opposed to it, does anyone know of why when she was a divorce herself?
Old 09-08-2011, 05:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
Just heard two most glorious anecdotes about Princess Margaret.

1. Apparantly, Lord Snowdon was bisexual. Some gushing American hostess once asked HRH, "How is the Queen?" to which Margaret replied; "Which one? My sister, my mother or my husband".

2. The last days of the Princess's life were quite hard. She was in constant pain and was truly suffering. She turned not to prayer but to Batman, which she watched on endless videos supplied by ITV and the BBC.

We shall never see her like again.
Batman? Who knew....
Old 02-10-2012, 10:14 PM
Heir Apparent

It's been ten years since she died.Here are interesting articles:

The Fabulous Princess Margaret

Princess Margaret: Royal Rocker | The Royal Universe

A very contrary Princess - why did the charming Margaret turn into the most unpopular royal? | Mail Online
Old 02-11-2012, 12:23 AM
Serene Highness

May she RIP
Old 04-09-2012, 04:40 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

From DM article:
Quote:
One omission from the obituaries on Princess Margaret’s private secretary Lord Napier, who has died aged 81, concerns his crucial role in the fraught conclusion of Margaret’s marriage to Lord Snowdon.
In the summer of 1976, Margaret abruptly announced she was getting divorced while her husband was in Australia with Lucy Lindsay-Hogg. But as Snowdon flew back to Heathrow, Margaret realised he would head to Kensington Palace, where the couple lived with their two children, David and Sarah. The hapless Napier was dispatched to intercept Snowdon. ‘It was extremely delicate,’ says a friend. ‘Napier liked Snowdon and Snowdon liked him. He was faced with telling him to find somewhere else to go. Not a nice thing to have to do.’ Snowdon was diverted to his mother’s apartment in Belgravia and the Queen later bought him a palatial grace-and-favour Kensington house — now worth £12 million.
Richard Kay: Baronet's lady and the handyman | Mail Online
Old 04-19-2012, 09:22 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Princess Margaret told Taylor diamond was vulgar
Quote:
As Taylor's career faltered, the lack of roles was softened by her ownership of the world's two most famous diamonds and largest pearl. Such feelings are, of course, relative. Many's the woman for whom the pain of leaner years has been lessened by the knowledge she's got a bracelet from Argos.
Among the star's gaudiest items was the vast Elizabeth Taylor diamond. Princess Margaret dared to tell Taylor she thought it vulgar. The actress asked her to try it on. "Not so vulgar now, is it?" she gloated. It'd have served her right if it had been eaten by a Corgi.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

Don't know if there is a thread on her husband, but is it true that Tony A. Jones had his first child with another woman when he was on the path of becoming engaged to Margaret?
Every time I read about Princess Margaret I want to go back and do a "do over" with her. Let her go to school and be educated.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:52 PM
Commoner

I expect some of you are already aware, but the BBC have released a copy of Margaret's interview with Desert Island Discs from the early 80's. A interesting interview and some interesting choices of music.

Princess Margaret - Desert Island Discs
Old 07-17-2012, 03:00 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Did Mick Jagger have an affair with Princess Margaret? They shared wild parties in London and Mustique and friends said she was smitten. No wonder the Queen is still haunted by the question
Quote:
At the core of the Queen’s distaste for Jagger was something far more personal: his relationship with her free-spirited younger sister. Time and time again, the monarch had intervened to cover up potentially scandalous revelations that would have linked Princess Margaret with the bad boy of rock. One of these concerned an outrageous party at which drugs were served — and which led to Margaret being rushed to hospital.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Margaret was very beautiful, but I get the impression she'd have been a particularly difficult indavidual at the best of times. Rather spoilt and self centred.

Without doubt she knew how to make things difficult for her sister on occasion.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent

Tags
countess of snowdon, princess margaret, wedding