The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-11-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Oh we have heard all about it, however NOBODY could cut Royally like Margaret! What a woman!
Lol. Hear Hear!

Old 05-11-2011, 10:31 PM
Serene Highness

I read that Margaret was often rude to her mother and that a close friend of the Queen Mother would protest about Margaret's behavior but the Queen Mother just shrugged it off, saying it did not bother her. Didn't Margaret make some comment about her mother being a mere aristocrat whereas Margaret was born a Royal Highness?

Old 05-12-2011, 02:45 AM
Aristocracy

There's a really fascinating dynamic going on here VM!! We have an example of the QMs ability to "ostrich" and from PM, deep wells of unresolved anger and resentment buried for, who knows how long, but the comment is certainly a childish one suggestive of a "child" who feels side-lined, overlooked, ignored - possibly as a result of having experienced too much "ostriching?"
Old 05-12-2011, 02:28 PM
Heir Apparent

I can't find anything as yet on Princess Margaret's remarks to her mother but I found this one and find it quite apropos, and charming, really.

"Princess Margaret's 'faults' are the indulgences of many human beings who are not absolute bores. She has a taste for booze and fags – who hasn't?" A N Wilson in 1997
Old 05-12-2011, 11:43 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsaritsa View Post
There's a really fascinating dynamic going on here VM!! We have an example of the QMs ability to "ostrich" and from PM, deep wells of unresolved anger and resentment buried for, who knows how long, but the comment is certainly a childish one suggestive of a "child" who feels side-lined, overlooked, ignored - possibly as a result of having experienced too much "ostriching?"
Tsaritsa,

Very astute. The bio on the Queen Mother showed that many members of the Household considered the QM to be a "royal ostrich", determined not to make waves but to bury her head when she encountered unpleasantness. I think she did not feel comfortable offering advice, such as when Charles and Diana were having trouble, but thought her place was to support the family in whatever they chose to do.

Quote:
I can't find anything as yet on Princess Margaret's remarks to her mother but I found this one and find it quite apropos, and charming, really.

"Princess Margaret's 'faults' are the indulgences of many human beings who are not absolute bores. She has a taste for booze and fags – who hasn't?" A N Wilson in 1997
Russo my dear,

As usual, you come up with the most fascinating tidbits of information. Once I reach the age of 75, I intend to start smoking again and getting shi*-faced every day. I figure I won't have much longer to live after reaching 75 anyway.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:48 PM
Serene Highness

Here is an excerpt from the biography of Lord Snowdon which ran in Vanity Fair in 2009. I really did not know much about the marriage between Margaret and Snowdon so it was an entertaining read for me. There is a couple of references to Margaret's dismissive treatment of both her mother and the household staff, which seems to be in line with what I have read about Margaret. She could be quite imperious.

Excerpt: The Princess and the Photographer | Style | Vanity Fair
Old 05-16-2011, 07:31 PM
Courtier

Their marriage is quite interesting to read about. I have always felt a little bad for Margaret. She always seems a bit lost to me because she never had any real roles to play with at least officially. In the past royals could behave like her and get away with it but she was never as fortunate. It is also interesting to note that while she did leave some parenting duties to the nannies, according to the original article, her children appear to be very well adjusted.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:30 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemagre View Post
Their marriage is quite interesting to read about. I have always felt a little bad for Margaret. She always seems a bit lost to me because she never had any real roles to play with at least officially. In the past royals could behave like her and get away with it but she was never as fortunate. It is also interesting to note that while she did leave some parenting duties to the nannies, according to the original article, her children appear to be very well adjusted.
Some interesting psychological observations as well in the article. Margaret was always #2, never the queen like her mother and sister. This would undoubtedly account for much of her behavior, although her personality would also play a part because there seem to be many siblings of monarchs who manage to take a subservient role and don't rock the boat. And from what I read in the recent bio of the Queen Mother, she adored Margaret's children and they adored her in return. In fact, I believe both of Margaret's children were present at the Queen Mother's passing.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:47 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I can't find anything as yet on Princess Margaret's remarks to her mother...
See post #137.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:09 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
My dear Warren,

Sorry, I did not know you had already posted the link to the book's excerpt in Vanity Fair. Fascinating read, eh?

YAY, my 800th post!
Old 05-17-2011, 03:38 PM
Serene Highness

Congratulations, Vasillisos Markos. Your posts are informative, entertaining and enlightening, and I always look forward to your participation on any thread.

Lovely name, as well.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasillisos Markos View Post
My dear Warren,

Sorry, I did not know you had already posted the link to the book's excerpt in Vanity Fair. Fascinating read, eh?

YAY, my 800th post!
(Warren was making sure I don't get too big a head! )

It was a very fascinating read. Pity it never worked out. I'm sure it wasn't easy to live with either of them.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:11 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
Congratulations, Vasillisos Markos. Your posts are informative, entertaining and enlightening, and I always look forward to your participation on any thread.

Lovely name, as well.
My dear Princess Kaimi,

Thank you for your kind words; I enjoy reading your comments on royalty as well. One day I would like to visit your beautiful state.

This is a fun group of people, isn't it? And the people we write and comment about are all fascinating. I would have liked to met Princess Margaret in person. She was quite a character.

Aloha

VM
Old 05-21-2011, 11:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasillisos Markos View Post
Here is an excerpt from the biography of Lord Snowdon which ran in Vanity Fair in 2009. I really did not know much about the marriage between Margaret and Snowdon so it was an entertaining read for me. There is a couple of references to Margaret's dismissive treatment of both her mother and the household staff, which seems to be in line with what I have read about Margaret. She could be quite imperious.

Excerpt: The Princess and the Photographer | Style | Vanity Fair
I just read this article and I must say I am intrigued by the marriage of the Snowdons. I might purchase this book if its on Kindle. Has anyone read Lord Snowdon's biography?
Old 05-22-2011, 12:28 AM
Royal Highness

Margaret was such a sad woman because she was really doomed to a life of being "second", really, she was a "third" after her sister and Mother, both Queens. She was educated at the Palace and was not expected to further her education, in contrast to the present, when we see many Prince and Princesses going to University and obtaining Bachelor's and Master's degrees.
Margaret really was a sort of bird in a gilded cage with nothing to do except make a few Royal appearances with her Mother.
Tony Snowdon was not cut out for the Royal life and I had read somewhere that he absolutely chafed at the protocol of walking so many steps behind his wife, he hated the whole matter. Margaret acted the supreme Royal because, I'm sure, she it made up for her lack of a real sense of belonging. Tony Snowden can count himself in the same league as Diana and Sarah in that, he was probably thrown into the whole Royal Family bit without any instruction or support.
Margaret's last years were just heartbreaking for me to watch. She was very regal, funny, and I think intelligent and her life was such a waste those last couple of years.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:00 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemagre View Post
What a rude, immature and miserable person. The total opposite how a princess should behave. I have no sympathy for what became of her life, she made it that way. Spoiled brat comes to mind.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:52 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
What a rude, immature and miserable person. The total opposite how a princess should behave. I have no sympathy for what became of her life, she made it that way. Spoiled brat comes to mind.
Margaret could be rude and often was but I think she is deserving of a little sympathy. As the poster above you pointed out, she was sort of a bird captured in a gilded cage. In reading the Queen Mother's biography, I learned that Margaret was very intelligent and loved her studies but the Queen Mother did not think it appropriate for Margaret to get a degree at University or to expand her knowledge. Imagine what this must have felt like to one who knew that she would always be subordinate to the others in matters of protocol and never have a chance to live life or experience it on her own terms.

She may not have been especially well liked but I think she is deserving of some sympathy.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:45 AM
Heir Apparent

Copy that. I think everybody gave her a lot of leeway, well, except Prince Philip. He's always had a different code to live by.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:42 PM
Serene Highness

Not only Prince Philip. It seems Queen Mary was not enamored of Margaret's behavior even as a young girl. Maybe she saw a streak of rebellion which would manifest itself as Margaret grew older.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:10 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Oh we have heard all about it, however NOBODY could cut Royally like Margaret! What a woman!

C'est exact, dear Russophile. What an interesting discussion all of you, Margot has always been my favorite topic!

Tags
countess of snowdon, princess margaret, wedding