Princess Alexandra of Kent and the late Sir Angus Ogilvy Part 1: July 2003-

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just absolutely marvelous

Lovely pictures, thank you Iceflower! :flowers: Its always nice to see Princess Alexandra interacting with people.

Maybe an indiscreet question but: is it true that Princess Alexandra had an affair with Prince Philip the Duke of Edinburgh? For years?

Maybe an indiscreet question but: is it true that Princess Alexandra had an affair with Prince Philip the Duke of Edinburgh? For years?

I doubt that very very much, considering both of their marriages were incredible solid. :)

I don't know nothing for sure, but I heard of these rumours as well. It was said in a documentary I watched quite a while ago that Philip and Alexandra had a secret relationship.

So, does anyone have any more information? Maybe something written in an biography?

This site mentions the author Nicholas Davies as having suggested it in one of his writings. Perhaps the book is also where I ran across it. Given that Nicholas Davies seems to specialize in the scandalous, I'm not sure that I'd consider him a reliable source. I've also seen a photograph online or in a book showing Prince Philip and Princess Alexandra sharing a laugh with the Queen supposedly "looking on anxiously." IMO it depends on the interpretation. Photos can say many things.

Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh
So, does anyone have any more information? Maybe something written in an biography?

That is a rumour that has been around for a while but no one has managed to provide any "proof". And honestly if it is true (which I doubt) chances are there is no proof that will be available to the royalwatchers.

One does need to take into consideration, that Prince Phillip I believe had a great relatioonship with Princess Marina, Duchess of Kent, who was a cousin. I would imagine that that close relationship would extend to her daughter.

And considering that both (Elizabeth/Phillip and Alexandra/Angus) had solid marriages (at least via public) and that Alexandra was a bridesmaid at their wedding (when she was what 11?)...I find it highly implausible.

This site mentions the author Nicholas Davies as having suggested it in one of his writings. Perhaps the book is also where I ran across it. Given that Nicholas Davies seems to specialize in the scandalous, I'm not sure that I'd consider him a reliable source. I've also seen a photograph online or in a book showing Prince Philip and Princess Alexandra sharing a laugh with the Queen supposedly "looking on anxiously." IMO it depends on the interpretation. Photos can say many things.

Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh

Indeed, Photos can! I saw many pictures of the Duke & Princess Alexandra together which showed that they seem to go along very well with each other. But thats no evidence for an affair of course. I have to search my old video tape with the documentary to see who told about "the affair" in it. I think IF there was an affair they all have been very discreet and we will never know about it as long as anybody of the involved is alive. I personally think that Alexandra and Angus had quite a happy marriage, but you can never know...

I belive this rumour came to surface a decade or so ago during a BBC tv interview with a very elderly courtier, who perhpas caught off guard made the assertion, adding that he assumed everyone knew this. I cannot speak for the Duke of Edinburgh but believe Angus Ogilvy and Alexandra of Kent had a good marriage; both Sir Angus and Princess Alexandra were devoted to each other.

:previous:

Thank you for posting this, Wesminster. :flowers: She's truly a royal of the old school. Plus she has a lovely voice, always had. :)

Goodnes the Kents are an interesting branch! But then again they came from such a dynamic union between George and Marina....so no surprise there then!!!

Princess Alexandra always puts me in mind of a swan....not when one of those birds in in one of it's less amiable moods, but just in its sheer elegance and beauty! A friend of mine who works in the NHS used to meet her once or twice a year and she was quite taken by the Princess.

My friend described her first meeting with the Princess as one of those 'lowly minion struck into gabbling gibbering rubbish saucer eyed mode' when she was first introduced to the Princess, and all that my friend could remember was being struck by how ethereally luminous the Princess' complexion was and as Dierna23 has said...what a lovely warm voice she has.

I feel that Princess Alexandra is about the closest thing we have as a living embodiment of her great grandmother and namesake! It is almost haunting how the Kents are a startling example of 'genes will out,' as has happened as a result of the marriage of George and Marina but then again I suppose it was inevitable!

^^
The princess ages very well. Thank you for posting!

Princess visits loved ones of soldiers on overseas duty

It was a day of both celebration and sadness as Princess Alexandra arrived at the Capital's Redford army barracks.

On official business, as Royal Colonel of 3 Rifles, she opened a new welfare centre for use by the families of those soldiers serving overseas yesterday.

Prince Charles was a 'gruesome child' says letter from Queen's cousin - Telegraph

The Prince of Wales was described as a "gruesome child" in a letter written by the Queen's cousin recalling how he took pleasure in watching her have a painful blister lanced.
She also mentions The Duke of Edinburgh, writing: "We had a long discussion about black stockings. Too stupid. He is so sweet."

Princess Alexandra, also known as the Honourable Lady Ogilvy, then concludes with a mention of a story written about her in the tabloid newspaper The Sunday Graphic, which folded in 1960.

Ha ha! What a laugh!

Last edited by a moderator:
Also from the Telegraph story:

She signed off: "Well look after yourself. With very, very many hugs & XXXX from Georgie."
It is believed that Georgie was a family nickname for her [Princess Alexandra].

Last edited:
The letter is priceless. :lol: Interesting to know that she signed "Georgie".

Now I wonder why she signed Georgie, considering that it isn't one of her names; I wonder where was this nickname from...

Princess Alexandra as Patron of People's Dispensary for Sick Animals
presented the Dickin Medal award at the Imperial War Museum,
London, February 24, 2010:

** Pic ** belga **

Wonderful. She really is a very elegant and regal lady.

Thanks for photos !:flowers:
I can not help noting that Lady Gabriella Windsor bears resemblance to her aunt.

:previous:

I definitely agree here. :flowers: I love the first picture, btw.

Back
Top Bottom