The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-04-2016, 08:22 AM
Administrator

As Royal Patron of the Museum of Richmond and President of the Royal Star and Garter Homes Princess Alexandra visited an exhibition at the Old Town Hall in Richmond, Surrey to celebrate the Centenary of the Royal Star and Garter Homes on November 23:

** yourlocalguardian: Princess Alexandra opens The Royal Star & Garter Homes and the Museum of Richmond exhibition **

Old 12-15-2016, 12:42 PM
Majesty

Princess Alexandra drops into St Christopher’s hospice for tea and cake | News | Bromley News

Old 12-18-2016, 09:24 AM
Administrator

Some more photos of her Christmas visit:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **
Old 12-18-2016, 11:40 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Ah, I live nearish to Bromley and my great-aunt was a patient at St. Christopher's. Being a lover of royals too, I'm sure she would have greatly appreciated a visit from Princess Alexandra but sadly she passed away in 2014. It's still nice to know that Alexandra was near my neck of the woods!

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 12-23-2016, 10:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

Princess Alexandra has won the Queen's gratitude for her sense of duty | Daily Mail Online

Didn't know all this drama went on back in the day!

A.W. TOZER
Old 12-24-2016, 12:11 AM
Administrator

I do remember the drama and it was something to behold. The Daily Mail article of course, is not reporting the facts correctly, if I recall.

The Marina scandal happened before the birth of her eldest child if I recall and it was nasty. I think she had a registry wedding [not that there is anything wrong with that] and the royal representatives being only her parents and her brother and that was it. She wore a black velvet dress with a striking hat [at least I liked it.] The Queen gave her approval, but she didn't include the normal phrase her beloved cousin as she had included in the past, so you got the idea that she wasn't happy. She accused her parents of some pretty nasty stuff [drinking, being horrible absentee parents pushing for an abortion because her boyfriend was common, etc.] and she was persona non grata on the royal scene for a couple of years. She was not present at the Trooping, Christmas events, weddings, etc. I thought Charles was her godfather.

At the time it was all shocking because what the Daily Mail got right...when you thought of Alexandra you didn't think of scandal.

At one time, Alexandra was the only young beautiful British Princess besides Margaret [before Katharine of Kent and Brigitte of Gloucester and Anne was too young] and she was very popular. I mean she even married in Westminister Abbey, that's like Beatrice, Zara or Eugenie marrying the Abbey now...people would have a fit. I read in her biography that she wanted to go to nursing school but she was needed for royal duties so that idea was scratched.

That's why the talk of the cousins being pushed to the side for the younger royals to shine annoys me....both Alexandra, Edward and Richard [and their spouses] gave up their personal ambitions to assist the Queen.If they choose to slow down that is one thing but they shouldn't be kicked to the curb because there is a shiny new toy on the scene. I am glad she recognizes it if no one else does.

Old 12-24-2016, 03:40 AM
Majesty

I thought that the Daily Mail article was extraordinarily snide. It was quite a way to "honour" Princess Alexandra as she approaches her 80th birthday.
Old 12-26-2016, 03:11 AM
Majesty

On Christmas Day a new photograph of Princess Alexandra was released by Buckingham Palace to mark HRH's 80th birthday.

What a beautiful Lady!!

https://scontent.fath3-1.fna.fbcdn.n...2c&oe=58D8F1B2
Old 01-24-2017, 04:54 AM
Administrator

On Sunday, January 22, Princess Alexandra as Patron of the Chopin Society in London attended a gala concert of the Chopin Society. She was accompanied the Duke of Kent.

** Photos ** Photos 2 ** Photos 3 ** fb gallery **
Old 02-22-2017, 03:38 AM
Administrator

Princess Alexandra as Vice-Patron of the Young Women's Trust attended the first Young Women's Trust awards and reception in London yesterday, February 21:

** Pic **
Old 03-02-2017, 04:18 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Princess Alexandra cancels engagements after breaking wrist in fall | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

The Queen's cousin Princess Alexandra has been forced to cancel a number of royal engagements after breaking her wrist in a fall.
Old 04-29-2017, 03:40 AM
Administrator

Princess Alexandra is back on duty and presented (as Patron) the awards during the Alzheimer's Society's annual People Awards ceremony at St James's Palace on April 26:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **
Old 05-18-2017, 08:23 AM
Administrator

Yesterday, May 17, Princess Alexandra as Patron of the Florence Nightingale Foundation attended the annual service at Westminster Abbey to celebrate the life of lorence Nightingale.

** westminster-abbey.org: Florence Nightingale remembered in annual celebration **
Old 06-01-2017, 08:25 AM
Administrator

On May 30 Princess Alexandra opened the Arundel Museum Gallery in Arundel:

** Pic ** littlehamptongazette: Delight as royal visits museum **
Old 07-09-2017, 05:25 PM
Administrator

On June 14 Princess Alexandra as Patron of the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art attended the gala opening celebration of the new facilities at London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art:

** Pic ** lamda: Celebrating our new home **
Old 07-09-2017, 05:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
I do remember the drama and it was something to behold. The Daily Mail article of course, is not reporting the facts correctly, if I recall.

The Marina scandal happened before the birth of her eldest child if I recall and it was nasty. I think she had a registry wedding [not that there is anything wrong with that] .
No Marina married in church but she wore black for some reason and looked really silly.. and very pregnant.
first she wnet to the papers and accused her parents of being unpleasant about the pregnancy, and suggesting that she have an abortion.. not because of his being "common", but because she was known to be pregnant -and she wanted to get married after she had had her baby and not look fat at the altar. And then she said that her parents cared more for the scandal than for her and were pressuring her to get an abortion and then marry later.
Not a very charming girl IMO. she then was indeed persona non grata for the scandal and talking to the press... but her marriage broke up in a few yaers.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:25 PM
Administrator

Princess Alexandra as Patron visited the Royal Alexandra Hospital for Sick Children and the Rockinghorse Children's Charity in Brighton today, July 19:

** Pic ** brightonandhovenews.org: ‘Royal Alex’ visits Royal Alex – and becomes patron of Rockinghorse **
Old 07-21-2017, 05:30 PM
Administrator

Princess Alexandra opened the new theatre and ward development at the Robert Jones and Agnes Hunt Orthopaedic Hospital NHS Foundation Trust in Oswestry, Shropshire today, July 21:

** fb gallery: Royal visit by HRH Princess Alexandra **
Old 07-28-2017, 02:40 AM
Administrator

Yesterday, July 27, Princess Alexandra visited the Bedford Citizens Housing Association and opened Bedford Charter House and Oak Way House in Bedford:

** belga gallery **
Old 09-14-2017, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Princess Alexandra as Patron visited HMS Warrior 1860 at H M Naval Base in Portsmouth today, September 14:

** Pic ** fb gallery **

** lutontoday: Princess is ‘pleased’ with HMS Warrior’s £2.6m overhaul project **

Tags
angus ogilvy, princess alexandra, princess alexandra of kent