Princess Alexandra of Kent and the late Sir Angus Ogilvy Part 1: July 2003-

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think it's a bit like Princess Anne's situation before she became the Princess Royal.When she married Mark Philips in 1973,she was created as The Princess Anne,Mrs Mark Philips.She had that title from 1973 until 1987 when she was created The Princess Royal.

Last edited:
thissal said:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml...5/11/nhrh11.xml

Palace 'embarrassed' by plight of Queen's cousin
By Chris Hastings and Andrew Alderson
(Filed: 11/05/2003)

Senior members of the Royal Household conceded last night that the disclosure that Marina Mowatt, the Queen's cousin, is living on state benefits was deeply embarrassing.

They insisted, however, that details of her dire financial predicament could in no way damage the monarchy.

The divorced 36-year-old mother of two, who is the daughter of Princess Alexandra and Sir Angus Ogilvy - who are alleged to be worth £20 million - was reported to be so short of money that she is planning to take her daughter, Zenouska, 12, out of a private school and move her to a comprehensive.

20 million pounds? If it's true, I wonder where it came from. I've always wondered where the Kent money comes from, since their mother (Princess Marina, that is) is always described as having such a difficult time making ends meet.

A documentary I saw years ago focused on a period about 50 years ago when they royal family stated publically that they were in straightened circumstances, to the point where Prince Philip had to leave off playing polo (for which he did not garner the sympathy he might have been expecting when he mentioned it to reporters:rolleyes: ). And we all know THEY'VE recovered.

So I guess we can assume being close to the Queen's financial advisers is extremely advantageous.

Last edited:
Full disclosure!

Brian_Ahern said:
20,000 pounds? If it's true, I wonder where it came from. I've always wondered where the Kent money comes from, since their mother (Princess Marina, that is) is always described as having such a difficult time making ends meet.

So I guess we can assume being close to the Queen's financial advisers is extremely advantageous.
Sir Angus was a successful businessman. Marina went through her trust fund pretty quickly and at one stage the Prince of Wales offered assistance. This story about Marina being on benefits is not new, and I have no idea of her current situation. (Shouldn't ALL members of the RF be compelled to publish their full annual financial statements so that interested parties like ourselves would know exactly what was going on?) :D But I would imagine that having easy access to the Coutts bankers would always be "extremely advantageous"!

Angus was successful, but remember that he wasn't really involved in business since his scandal of the 70s/80s, before executives started getting these massive salaries. His daughter's trust fund was estimated at between 100,000 & 150,000 pounds -- enough to help out with bills if managed wisely, but certainly not indicative of rich parents. Any businessman who saves and invests wisely could easily match, or even top, that.

Princess Alexandra attends a champagne reception celebrating the 10th anniversary of Luxury Briefing, a business publication for the beauty and luxury industries at the Dunhill.store on October 5, 2005 in London.
Pictures from Getty Images:

Attachments

• 55860408.jpg
    55860408.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 2,500
  • 55860425.jpg
    55860425.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 985
  • 55860428.jpg
    55860428.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 798
Re:

Isn't Princess Alexandra just so elegant?!

I've met HRH and was stunned by her friendly and happy nature - she didn't stop smiling the whole time she met each one of us lined up to do so. She doesn't get the praise she deserves.

Princess Alexandra attends the Royal Gala performance of 'Madame Butterfly', in memory of her late husband, by the English National Opera at The Coliseum Opera House on December 16, 2005 in London, England

from getty and newscom

Attachments

• 56444253.jpg
    56444253.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 2,633
  • wennphotos184926.jpg
    wennphotos184926.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 878
  • wennphotos184932.jpg
    wennphotos184932.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 1,070
  • wennphotos184933.jpg
    wennphotos184933.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 890
Last edited:
She is one of my favourite royals. I adore her and I hate that she is a widow and will go through the rest of her life without her beau. She is real elegant princess. How popular and well known is she in Britian. You dont hear much about her.

Fireweaver said:
That's a good queston.. I don't think so, as Angus Olgivy isn't a noble, but I'm not completely sure.
Does anyone have any idea?
And has there been any news on them?

Ogilivy was born in London, England on 14 September 1928. His father was David Ogilvy, 12th Earl of Airlie and his mother was Lady Alexandra Coke, the daughter of Thomas Coke, 3rd Earl of Leicester.
Ogilvy's family can trace their lineage back to the 12th century. Many of his relatives had close links with the British Royal Family. His grandmother, Mabell, Countess of Airlie, was a close friend and Lady-in-Waiting to Queen Mary. His father was a Lord-in-Waiting to King George V and Lord Chamberlain to HM Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother.

Credits from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angus_Ogilvy

How popular and well known is she in Britian. You dont hear much about her

Because she never does anything wrong. With the older generation who know her she is very popular. Perhaps because her mother was too and they see alot of Marina in Alexandra.

Yes, she was very popular up until around the 1970s, when the Queen's children were too young to do much in the way of royal duties and so her cousins were a lot more active in doing public duties. Once Diana showed up, all the cousins sort of got eclipsed.

I think that they look alike, but it's also in their mannerisms and their elegance. Princess Alexandra just has this aura of dignity about her and you can't help but fall head over heels for her.

HRH Princess Alexandra, The Hon. Lady Ogilvy is one of the hardest working royals in the UK while much of her work goes un noticed by the general public many of whom do not even know who she is. Her Royal Highness's work was recognised by Her Majesty in 2003 when she granted her the Order of The Garter, which was very fitting. Her Royal Highness has had her fair share of family troubles but her personal behaviour has been beyond reproach, she really is a true Princess.:D

Last edited:
Yes, I agree. She's been an asset to the royal family all her life.

Princess at new hospital centre

Princess Alexandra is returning to a hospital in Worcestershire which was named after her to officially open its new orthopaedic centre.
She will return to the Alexandra Hospital in Redditch 20 years after she opened the hospital itself.
The princess is expected at the hospital at noon on Tuesday where she will meet staff and patients.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hereford/worcs/4962934.stm

I think she is lovely as well. Is there any truth to the assertion in Higham's book that she had an affair with Prince Philip?

If this is true, it would be downright weird, because she is the Queen's first cousin, and is a cousin to Philip as well through the Greek royals.

RoyalProtocol said:
Her Royal Highness has had her fair share of family troubles but her personal behaviour has been beyond reproach, she really is a true Princess.:D

which Windsor haven't? but she's one of the few who came out unscathed and with an even better reputation

Lord of Cowley said:
If this is true, it would be downright weird, because she is the Queen's first cousin, and is a cousin to Philip as well through the Greek royals.

The Queen and Philip are cousins as well, it's not an uncommon practice in the BRF through the years, so that's not really an argument to dismiss the affair between DoE and Princess Alexandra.

The true argument would be her never-ending sense of family and duty and her dignity, she'll never be anyone's mistress, much less Philip's!

Some posts have been removed.
Hatchet jobs and unsubstantiated allegations are not in accordance with either the spirit or the rules of these Forums.

Warren
Royal Forums moderator

I don' t know if it is true but in the book "The royals" the writer was saying that Princess Alexandra and Prince Phillip that have maybe a romance because is the woman like to him, tall and blonde like his daughter Princess Royal.

Last edited:
Madjenn said:
I don' t know if it is true but in the book "The royals" the writer was saying that Princess Alexandra and Prince Phillip that have maybe a romance because is the woman like to him, tall and blonde like his daughter Princess Royal.

I remember reading about the alleged affair between the couple as well but I didn't give much credence to it based on who the author was (Kitty Kelley), but based on photos I've seen of him as an incredibly striking young man I'm certain he had plenty of admirerers.

I think so as well, Bella :)

Here is a portrait of Princess Alexandra:

15mlqbc.jpg

(RM)

i read in a local paper that the princess's daughter, Marina is living in poverty, she can not even pay her rent. but the princess refuses to help her. i don't know if it is true.

All sorts of things are being written about Marina Mowatt, and I don't know if anyone outside the immediate royal circle knows how true they are. If she's living on state handouts rather than family money, it could be her decision rather than her mother's. Newspapers are rather fond of putting the most sensational spin possible on a skeleton of facts. It doesn't mean they're necessarily wrong, but sometimes they're making guesses about things none of us really know about.

thank you Elspeth. that's my belief too--- that it's Marina's decision rather than her mother's to be on her own, to be independant.

Flora - that story did break a few years ago and it was true. Marina was actually on state benefits and Alexandra refused to give her money after Marina had made nasty comments about the Ogilvy's in the national press and had posed semi-nude with a crown on her head. Whether it's still true that Marina's in financial difficulty I don't know and as Elspeth said, newspapers will put anything together to sell a newspaper.

That Princess Alexandra portrait is gorgeous. Thank you so much for posting it.

School

The divorced 36-year-old mother of two, who is the daughter of Princess Alexandra and Sir Angus Ogilvy - who are alleged to be worth £20 million - was reported to be so short of money that she is planning to take her daughter, Zenouska, 12, out of a private school and move her to a comprehensive.
Where is Zenouska now attending school?
She used to attend St George's School, Windsor, the same school as Princess Eugenie.

Last edited by a moderator:
Madjenn has asked me for some more pics of Princess Alexandra, so here are the first ones, I hope you enjoy :flowers:

2hqtcsy.jpg
2edctn7.jpg
33p6hko.jpg
2r7u3o6.jpg
2whhxf8.jpg

(profimedia)

Back
Top Bottom