The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-15-2015, 05:23 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Had history turned out differently, Zsuzsi Starkloff may well have been a member of the English aristocracy. Her title, Duchess of Gloucester, would bring with it an apartment in Kensington Palace and a sprawling estate in Northamptonshire.
Instead, the 79-year-old former model lives in a modest home in Colorado. Look closely though and there are hints of a more exotic past, in the photos scattered about and in the signet ring she wears on a chain around her neck - it bears the initial 'W' for William, the name of her former lover.
This was not just any William either. The ring belonged to Prince William of Gloucester, the Queen's cousin, a dashing young man who captured Zsuzsi's heart. Theirs was a passionate 60s love affair that caused panic in Establishment circles: Hungarian, twice divorced with a daughter - not to mention Jewish - Zsuzsi was not considered a suitable bride, certainly not for a prince who, when born, was fourth in line to the throne.
Tragedy of the other Prince William:*How the dashing but doomed young royal's affair put the Palace in a spin | Daily Mail Online

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 08-16-2015, 08:10 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
What a wonderful article and a very good insight into the life and times of William. He certainly was a very handsome young man and unfortunately died too young.

Its amazing too to be able to see how remarkably changed the attitude of "suitability" has changed in such a relatively short time.

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 08-16-2015, 08:16 AM
Serene Highness

I agree. It´s a pity there are only a few photos of him available...
Old 08-16-2015, 02:28 PM
Courtier

There probably are more photographs out there. He was a constant in the Royal Family for a very long time.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:18 PM
Serene Highness

The Other Prince William - All 4

Channel 4 airs a documentation about William, including an interview with Zsuzsi Starkloff, on the 27th of August.

To be a legend, you've either got to be dead or excessively old!
Christopher Lee
Old 08-20-2015, 05:40 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fürstin Taxis View Post
The Other Prince William - All 4

Channel 4 airs a documentation about William, including an interview with Zsuzsi Starkloff, on the 27th of August.

I guess it´ll be only available in Britain, wouldn´t it?!

The Other Prince William | TV Guide 27 08 15 | What's on TV
Old 08-22-2015, 12:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The Queen's dashing cousin William of Gloucester died in 1972 when his light aircraft crashed to the ground in an air race. But his secret Hungarian lover has never forgotten about their 'fairytale' romance

Although it is usually tucked away from sight, Zsuzsi Starkloff still wears the same necklace every day.

A chain carrying a signet ring carved with the letter 'W’, it is the legacy of a love affair which unfolded nearly half a century ago.

It changed her life – and if things had turned out differently it may well have changed the course of history too.

The 'W’ stands for Prince William of Gloucester, the Queen’s cousin and a handsome young royal who was fourth in line to the throne.
Read more: The other Prince William - TelegraphRead
Old 08-23-2015, 10:24 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
I guess it´ll be only available in Britain, wouldn´t it?!

The Other Prince William | TV Guide 27 08 15 | What's on TV
Sent you a message

Christopher Lee
Old 08-23-2015, 10:24 AM
Serene Highness

Christopher Lee
Old 08-23-2015, 10:42 AM
Imperial Majesty

I'm glad some light is being put on William of Gloucester, because he's not a royal that's really talked about. I'll be watching.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-28-2015, 07:39 PM
Serene Highness

Out of interest I looked at the New York Times archive. You only can read the whole articles if you pay, but the headlines are enough

June 15, 1963

Prince Will Attend Stanford

Prince Will Attend Stanford - Article - NYTimes.com

November 29, 1963

British Prince Is Arrested On Coast Traffic Charge

Prince William was cited by a last night for sports car across the in the Los Altos hills.

British Prince Is Arrested On Coast Traffic Charge - Article - NYTimes.com

December 17, 1963

British Prince Gets an 'A' for Work at Stanford; But Elizabeth's Cousin Plans to Stop Seeking Master's He Wants to Chart Career in Commonwealth Relations

British Prince Gets an 'A' for Work at Stanford - But Elizabeth's Cousin Plans to Stop Seeking Master's He Wants to Chart Career in Commonwealth Relations - Article - NYTimes.com

February 25, 1964

Prince Fails Test For British Post On Second Attempt oops

Prince William of Gloucester, one of Queen Elizabeth's fa*vorite cousins, has failed a Civil Service entrance examination for the second and last time, it was announced today.

The 22‐year‐old Prince is tak*ing a post‐graduate course in economics at Stanford Univer*sity in California.

A family spokesman said Prince William had been in*formed that he had failed the examination for entry into the Commonwealth Relations Of*fice.

“This is the second time he has taken the examination, the first being when he was at Cambridge, and unluckily he has just failed each time,” the spokesman said.

“Unfortunately, under the regulations he cannot have an*other go.”

“Prince William is naturally very disappointed,” the spokes*man added. “He had hoped that he might be able to do a useful job in this field.”

The Prince completes his year at Stanford this summer. He is expected to spend the Easter vacation at home in Britain.

“Obviously he will be discus*sing his future with his parents,” the spokesman said.

The Prince's father, the Duke of Gloucester, who is the third son of King George V, had planned a military career for his son. But the Prince chose otherwise.

http://www.nytimes.com/1964/02/25/pr...d-attempt.html

January 05, 1965

British Prince Takes Job LONDON, Jan. 4 (UPI) -- Prince William of Gloucester, 23-year-old cousin of Queen Elizabeth II, began today a $42a-week job as an apprentice in the

British Prince Takes Job - Article - NYTimes.com

October 05, 1965

Prince Begins Training LONDON, Oct. 4 (UPI) -- Prince William of Gloucester, a cousin of Queen Elizabeth II, started a .month s training today for his much- past as a diplomat.

July 17, 1970

LONDON, July 16 (AP) Prince William of Gloucester, the 28-year-old first cousin of Queen Elizabeth II, has resigned from the diplomatic service, the Foreign Office announced today.

British Prince Quits as Diplomat - Article - NYTimes.com

Christopher Lee
Old 08-29-2016, 11:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

What was the name of the merchant bank in which Prince William worked?
Old 08-29-2016, 11:26 PM
Heir Apparent

He worked at Lazards merchant bank for a little while.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Lazard

The other Prince William: The uncanny parallels between Wills and the dashing but doomed cousin in whose memory he was named | Daily Mail Online
Old 09-06-2016, 01:49 AM
Serene Highness

Apart from them both liking flying, I can't see any possible paralells.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:58 AM
Royal Highness

Neither can I, but it's the DM and it was a slow news week.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:16 PM
Serene Highness

They have to fill up pages, I wouldn't mind if they didn't go into a "look at the similarities" when there aren't any. William was called William because the name wasn't in use after W of Gloucester died, and I suppose partly as a tribute to him. and they boht liked flying. And that's about it.
Old 10-22-2016, 11:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Prince William was a pageboy at the 1946 Wedding of the Viscountess of Clive and Brigadier Derek Schreiber.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Prince William participated in the wedding:

Tags
diamond jubilee, middleton, prince william of gloucester, queen elizabeth, royalty, william of gloucester