The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-12-2005, 03:43 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thissal
The title of this thread almost gave me a fit of apoplexy at first.
This newbie read the title of this older thread too fast-and I nearly had a heart attack!! And you won't believe this-I'm listening to my copy of the late Princess Of Wales Funeral as I read the subject line! I swear my first gray hair just popped up! I'll have to check the mirror.

Very said about this other Prince William. I had read a little bit about him before but not much. RIP dear Prince. :(

Old 11-12-2005, 03:46 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
...One of the books about the Charles and Diana problems started off by saying that Prince Charles had looked up to Prince William of Gloucester and tried to emulate him, hence his inclination to have lots of relationships, including with married women.
Sigh. It's like 'the sins of the fathers' being repeated by the sons. King Edward VII and his grandson The Duke Of Windsor seemed to have the same respect for marital vows as well. :(

Old 11-12-2005, 12:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

I've edited the thread title to add "of Gloucester" to avoid any more newbie heart attacks!
Old 11-14-2005, 09:54 AM
Serene Highness

Does anyone have anymore pics?Family pics as well?
Old 11-20-2005, 06:47 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I have read that, in the early 1970s, Mrs. Trowbridge decided to make a play for Prince William (and through her acquaintance with Prince William she met Prince Michael of Kent). After Prince William's death, her relationship with Prince Michael blossomed... and then she became our Marie-Christine (aka Princess Michael). Maybe I'm just repeating gossip.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:49 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisnu
Could somebody send the pictures of him ?

Tks
Digging into my distant memory, I know that he was standing in the background for the official photograph taken of the extended Royal Family for the Silver Wedding Anniversary of the Queen and Prince Philip. I thought he was kind of non-descript looking.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle
I have read that, in the early 1970s, Mrs. Trowbridge decided to make a play for Prince William (and through her acquaintance with Prince William she met Prince Michael of Kent). After Prince William's death, her relationship with Prince Michael blossomed... and then she became our Marie-Christine (aka Princess Michael). Maybe I'm just repeating gossip.
I've also read that, probably in the same places you did! There's reported to be antipathy between Princess Michael and the Gloucesters, which one article said was because she courted Prince Michael while visiting Barnwell with her husband while Prince Michael was also a guest. It struck me at the time that that would be a rather prudish reason. It makes more sense that the bad feeling is because she, as a married woman, was setting her cap at Prince William, who was a lot closer to his brother than Prince Michael was. It also seemed unlikely that, if she was as ambitious and status-conscious as she seems to be, she'd be going after the younger son of a youngest son when the heir to a more senior royal dukedom was available.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:26 PM
Nobility

Actually he wasn't in the Silver Wedding photo. Prince Michael is the man standing against the wall at the back. For some odd reason none of the Gloucesters were in that picture. It's a mystery as every other member of the Royal Family and their children were in it. I wish I could find a copy of it to post.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think it was something to do with the fact that it was taken shortly after Prince William had died, and the Gloucesters weren't taking part in social occasions or something.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:38 PM
Courtier

Unhappy

This was a great tragedy for the Gloucesters, coming just a few weeks after Richard and Birgitte were married. :( He was not positioned to be heir but both of them have I think fulfilled their roles admirably. I think William had a lot of dash and glamour that would have been a real asset to the royal family over the years but, as is so often the case, things turned out differently.
Old 11-11-2006, 04:00 PM
Courtier

Prince William of Gloucester

I do hope a lot of people post some interesting pictures
of this unfortunately almost forgotten Royal, who has lost his prosperous life at such an early stage (there are some really beautiful ones at Getty, but I don´t know how to browse it...).
I further more hope that people who are lucky to have the book "William of Gloucester - Pioneer Prince" do share with us their impressions on this book!
Thank you all beforehand!
Old 11-11-2006, 04:43 PM

I hope there are some pics of William around. I haven't seen that many which is a shame as he was truly stunning.
Old 11-11-2006, 04:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Few links about him
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_..._of_Gloucester where is a link to bbc

http://www.npg.org.uk/live/search/po...rNo=0&role=art
http://www.expressandstar.com/millen...1975/1972.html
Old 11-11-2006, 04:59 PM

I always think of Princess Alice recounting William's death in a 1982 interview. Her voice was shaky and soft and she had a slight tremble in her head and hands. Alice always used to purse her lips together in a sort of nervous twitch and she says, "These things have happened to other people. One just gets on with it". It's just so moving and sad and you realise that this lady lost her son and husband all within 3 years and then had to keep the stiff upper lip of a member of the Royal Family. When you see William's funeral, the Queen walks behind Alice and Alice is totally alone under her black veil - it just makes you want to hug her.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:06 AM
Courtier

Quote:
When you see William's funeral, the Queen walks behind Alice and Alice is totally alone under her black veil - it just makes you want to hug her
I guess you don´t have any pics of the funeral, do you?
Old 11-12-2006, 12:22 PM

I dont but if you go the BBC www.bbc.co.uk and choose any video story, stop it and then search "Princess Alice" in the player. There's one video there and it shows an interview with Princess Alice and pictures from William's funeral.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:29 PM
Courtier

Thanks for the hint, BeatrixFan! But can someone please, who is able to, post pics of this most handsome prince in the british Royal Family for decades, I find (they seem to be very rare indeed by now)?
Old 11-14-2006, 06:04 PM
Royal Highness

I think Alice probably would have been devastated at William's death. Remember, Alice was pretty old when she got married and then she had several miscarriages before giving birth to Richard and William. She must have felt blessed to have 2 children after her difficulties.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:05 PM

I agree Iowabelle and I think it was sad that her death went without the attention it deserved. She's the sort of Royal who deserved a state funeral, a statue and endless books and documentaries. She was a true asset to us. It was very sad that she was forgotten.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:22 PM
Imperial Majesty

The Gloucesters seem to be forgotten a lot of the time; they've always had a lower profile than the Kents and have caused fewer problems over the years. But I gather William was the enfant terrible of the Gloucester family so we might have seen a lot more about the Gloucesters in the papers if William had lived and had married this divorced woman he supposedly wanted to marry.

Tags
diamond jubilee, middleton, prince william of gloucester, queen elizabeth, royalty, william of gloucester