Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester (1900-1974) and Princess Alice (1901-2004)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Today,the funeral of Her Royal Highness,Princess Alice Dowager duchess of Gloucester will take place at St George's Chapel at Windsor Castle.The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh will attend,together with The Duchess's family and friends.

HMQueenElizabethII said:
Today,the funeral of Her Royal Highness,Princess Alice Dowager duchess of Gloucester will take place at St George's Chapel at Windsor Castle.The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh will attend,together with The Duchess's family and friends.
need pose pictures at funeral

and have more of member of Royal family include Queen's children?

Sara Boyce

Yes,hope that we will have a lot of pictures of the funeral.Will other members of throyal family such as:Anne,andrew,Edward,Sophie,Alexandra of Kent,Prince and Princess Michael of Kent attend?

The funeral is taking place.I have just seen one picture of The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh's arrival.
Please pay tribute to a longest-lived lady in history of The British Royal Family.

I heard that all the Royal Family attend The Funeral.Byut i haven't seen yet.

There are some more pictures.Very sad!Please say farawell to the longest-lived Princess in history.

Funeral of Princess Alice

Queen and Philipp
51678222.jpg

http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty/2004/11/05/princessalice/

ROYALS GATHER FOR FUNERAL OF PRINCESS ALICE

NOVEMBER 2004

The Queen has bid a sad farewell to her aunt Alice, who died last week at the age of 102. She was joined by her husband and children for the private funeral ceremony in Windsor Castle's St George Chapel.

Her Majesty, dressed in black, stood alongside Prince Philip, Prince Charles and the Earl and Countess Wessex at the service. The Princess Royal and Princess Alexandra were also there to offer their support to Alice's son Richard, the Duke of Gloucester.

His mother's coffin, draped in a royal standard and white roses, was borne from the chapel by members of the King's Own Scottish Borderers, the regiment of which Alice was Colonel-in-Chief.

The Prince of Wales left a floral tribute with a note reading: "Dearest Aunt Alice, with fondest and affectionate memories, Charles, William and Harry." A wreath of roses and freesias laid by the Queen, meanwhile, carried the message: "In loving memory - Lilibet and Philip".

Alice was the oldest member of the Royal Family in history, but she had not been seen in public for several years. Her life had been marked by tragedy, as she lost her eldest son, William, in a plane crash in 1972. Two years later her husband also passed away, after suffering a series of strokes.

The Princess, who had a passion for travel and spent time in India, Kenya and Afghanistan, died in her sleep on October 29. She is survived by her son and daughter-in-law, and her grandchildren Lady Rose Windsor, Lady Davina Lewis and the Earl of Ulster.

Attachments

• princessalicefuneral-dop3a.jpg
    princessalicefuneral-dop3a.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 1,172
  • princessalicefuneral-dop2a.jpg
    princessalicefuneral-dop2a.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 1,342
THe royal family at funeral

Attachments

• 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 671
I'm curious to know why the Queen and Prince Phillip stood apart from the Gloucesters on the steps "above" the rest of the family.

Is that some sort of protocol because the Queen is the sovereign or something?

I really like Sophie's outfit. I think the long black coat and its cut make her look slim. Isn't the hat a little fluffy for a funeral, though?

51678233.jpg

51678116.jpg

51678113.jpg

I'm curious to know why the Queen and Prince Phillip stood apart from the Gloucesters on the steps "above" the rest of the family.

I assume it must be. Does the Queen usually do that during funerals of other family members? I don't think they stood apart from the rest of the family like that at the Wessex wedding at St George's Chapel.

I see the Duchess of Kent was there. She's not looking well these days.

Funeral of Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester, at St George's Chapel, Windsor Castle on November 5, 2004 in Berkshire, England. Princess Alice died on October 29, at the age of 102. A memorial service is being held at a later date to celebrate her life

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 460
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 577
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 481
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 577
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 482
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 3,565
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 490
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 571
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 550
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 516
The Queen, Prince Philip, Prince Andrew, the Wessex's, and the Princess Royal attended. Charles, William, and Harry left a note. I forgot what it said, but it was ok-appropo. for the occasion

Could someone tell me how to post pictures from photo images such as getty onto these threads?

I wonder did she and Bridgitte get along? It seems like she was a nice lady all around

Lady Gabriella & Lord Frederick Windsor at Princess Alice's funeral.

The brooch that the Duchess of Gloucester is wearing belonged to Princess Alice.

Almost all the Duchess' jewellry belonged to Princess Alice but yes, that particular brooch was often worn by the Princess. I believe she wore it in her 100th birthday pictures.

Alexandria said:

It's less about The Queen's position, Alexandra. She is only an extended family member. It was her aunt by marriage. Nevetheless, she is The Queen and head of the family. Therefore, she was out there as 1) head of the family, 2) to pay her respects, and 3) to support the Gloucester family. However, because she isn't an immediate family member, she kept a respectable distance.

P.S. This is my first post, but I enjoy the website thoroughly.

Mountwindsor you are absoloutely correct. The Queen kept a respectable distance from the Gloucester family as they were the chief mourners but still granted her presence on the steps as an acknowlegment of the contribution that Princess Alice had given to the Royal Family. It was a great tribute to the late Princess. I also thought that the Queen's message on her wreath, signing it "Lilibet", was so sweet as it acknowleged that Princess Alice was a loving aunt and fully fledged working member of the family when the Queen was still a child. The Duchess must have called her Lilibet as a child and this clearly continued all her life. Indeed the then Princess Elizabeth was a flower girl at the then 35 year old Duchess of Gloucesters' wedding in 1935 so the Queen would have seen her as a working royal long before she reached maturity herself. It's kind of like if Princess Beatrice was the current heir to the throne and Sophie died wheen Beatrice was Queen and almost eighty. No one would find in odd that Beatrice would see Sophie as an "adult" who must be respected and this must also be the way Queen Elizabeth viewed Princess Alice. It's the younger generation respecting he older. Wonderful manners and very moving.

Any pics of Anne and Edward?I see Charles and Andrew but dont see them.
Sophie's outfit looked very nice.I love it.
Rarely see Sarah Chatto.But did Danei attend?But although things,she still looked ok.
And did Alexandra of Kent attend?I did not see her.Only Duke and Duchess of Kent.

You saw Charles attend? Where? Very curious because neither him nor his sons attended.

james said:
You saw Charles attend? Where? Very curious because neither him nor his sons attended.
Prince William and Harry dont attend Princess Alice's funeral but his dad attend funeral

Sara Boyce

Why was Prince Edward already at the service, when the Countess of Wessex arrive?

some more pics...

Attachments

• B68_086147_0001.jpg
    B68_086147_0001.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 292
  • B68_086147_0003.jpg
    B68_086147_0003.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 352
  • B68_086147_0004.jpg
    B68_086147_0004.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 448
  • B68_086147_0021.jpg
    B68_086147_0021.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 306
  • B68_086147_0007.jpg
    B68_086147_0007.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 368
  • B68_086147_0008.jpg
    B68_086147_0008.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 321
  • B68_086147_0009.jpg
    B68_086147_0009.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 360
  • B68_086147_0010.jpg
    B68_086147_0010.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 342
Last edited:
I imagine there will be a large number of the royal family at her memorial service.

There might even be some Norwegian royals (Princess Astrid ?) as King Olav was very close to Princess Alice's generation.

Back
Top Bottom