The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-17-2014, 04:35 PM
Administrator

What a great video! Thank you for sharing....

Old 03-17-2014, 04:53 PM
Imperial Majesty

I've seen the video of the wedding before. Massive crowds even in those days.

I think Queen Mary, Queen Mother, The Queen and Princess Margaret had the most regal royal waves in the old days. The royals of today royal waves are no longer regal.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-17-2014, 05:18 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Its somehow hard to fathom in this day of instant information but back then, those Pathe newsreels were what people would see when they went to a movie theater. Makes me realize how far we've some in such a relatively short time.

All the elements of a royal wedding were there. The crowds, the pageantry and the appearance on the balcony. Traditions are really a wonderful thing.

Thanks for posting the video of this wedding.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 03-22-2015, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

HRH The Duke Of Gloucester At Camberley (1939)

TRH The Duke And Duchess Of Gloucester Visit Ethiopia (1958)

Old 05-16-2015, 10:10 PM
Imperial Majesty

Revealed - How oldest ever Princess left a fortune to loyal staff: Queen's aunt left payments of £30,000 to 14 employees when she died aged 102 -
Revealed - How oldest ever Princess left a fortune to loyal staff: Queen's aunt left payments of £30,000 to 14 employees when she died aged 102* | Daily Mail Online

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 01-16-2016, 07:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

At Buckingham Palace, in the first weeks of the First World War, King George V ordered that there should be strict rationing of all food. Prince Henry put up a revolt against the two-course rule for breakfast. He claimed that for health reasons it was essential he had two fried eggs and bacon for breakfast even if he was allowed nothing else. Queen Mary agreed. Thus Prince Henry got an extra fried egg.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:55 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
At Buckingham Palace, in the first weeks of the First World War, King George V ordered that there should be strict rationing of all food. Prince Henry put up a revolt against the two-course rule for breakfast. He claimed that for health reasons it was essential he had two fried eggs and bacon for breakfast even if he was allowed nothing else. Queen Mary agreed. Thus Prince Henry got an extra fried egg.
This is most surely a case of "if we only knew then what we know now" as we now know just how healthy fried eggs and bacon are to the human body.

Glad to see you back again Cyril! I've missed your interesting tidbits that you come up with.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 09-21-2016, 03:25 PM
Commoner

Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester and Middle son of George V

Can anybody tell me some information about him? He's always overshadowed by his older and younger brothers and sister as well as his wife that lived to 100.
Old 09-21-2016, 03:41 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Henry and Alice have a thread here;
Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester (1900-1974) and Princess Alice (1901-2004)
Old 09-21-2016, 03:48 PM
Commoner

I was just wondering if he has a thread as his own as I've said before he always seems to get overshadowed
Old 09-21-2016, 03:52 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyAlice View Post
Can anybody tell me some information about him? He's always overshadowed by his older and younger brothers and sister as well as his wife that lived to 100.
Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester, was the 11th Governor-General of Australia from January 1945 until March 1947.

I suspect the Australians, Canadians and South Africans on the forum will disagree, but I miss that era when the Governor-Generals of the Commonwealth realms were British peers or, more rarely, even members of the Royal Family itself.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Notes on Henry William Frederick Albert
Biography - first Duke of Gloucester - Australian Dictionary of Biography
Old 09-21-2016, 10:53 PM
Imperial Majesty

After how bad he was as GG it was no wonder that the Australians didn't want another royal. He was high-handed and officious at all times - didn't go down well down-under.

Why would we want a foreigner as GG. South Africa has the right idea - a Head of State who is their own. SA has been a republic since 1961.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:00 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyAlice View Post
Baby Prince Henry or Harry as he was known in the family, apparently delighted his brothers and sister, according to his mother. He had many godparents including the Kaiser and the future Queen Maud of Norway, (his aunt.) He was regarded as delicate as a child, susceptible to coughs and colds. Henry also suffered from knock knees like his brother Bertie.

Henry was the first child of a British monarch to go to boarding school, St Peters at Broadstairs and then Eton. It was said that his father wanted him to go into the navy like his brothers, but he chose the army, entering Sandhurst in 1919. After that he went to Trinity College Cambridge for a year, almost certainly not by his own wish.

He later served with the Kings Royal Rifle Corps and the 10th Royal Hussars, before retiring from active service in 1937, presumably to help the new King and Queen with Royal duties. It was during his army career that his reputation seems to have grown as a man with a very quick temper, not super intelligent, hardworking but with a bit of a drink problem.

In spite of this he was created Duke of Gloucester in 1928, years before his marriage, and represented his father the King on several occasions abroad, such as the Coronation of Haile Selassie in Ethiopia. In 1935 he married Lady Alice Montagu-Douglas-Scott, a daughter of the Duke of Buccleuch.

When they first married they lived in York House, St James Palace and also had a country house Barnwell Manor in Northamptonshire they bought from Alice's family. There was a large pack of servants. However both Henry and Alice were fond of country life and the farm at Barnwell was run efficiently and well. It was regarded as the most modern in the country before the war, according to sources at the time.

The Duke served in the army during the war, Alice had two sons, William and the present Duke, Richard, and also undertook a lot of public duties. After the war Henry served as GG in Australia where stories about his drinking problem persist to this day. After the war he and the Duchess took on many public engagements on behalf of the monarch, but Henry had very bad health in his later years and suffered a major stroke that left him speechless shortly before his son William's death.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:42 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester, was the 11th Governor-General of Australia from January 1945 until March 1947.

I suspect the Australians, Canadians and South Africans on the forum will disagree, but I miss that era when the Governor-Generals of the Commonwealth realms were British peers or, more rarely, even members of the Royal Family itself.

I can understand an argument regarding members of the RF itself acting as GG on occasion. I see it as a possible way to strengthen ties between the monarchy and the realms, and if there were a plan to have one of the Queen's children, or Charles' sons serve as GG in Canada I would support it.

But why on earth should a British peer who has no connection to Canada at all serve as a Canadian GG? That makes no sense. A member of Canada's Royal Family, sure. But a peer of a foreign country? It's the 21st century, and the role should be filled by people who have an actual relationship with Canada.

Tags
duchess of gloucester, princess alice, princess alice duchess of gloucester