Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester (1900-1974) and Princess Alice (1901-2004)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did Prince Henry's appointment as Governor General of Australia confirm the Crown's importance as the center of Empire unity?

Quote from the PM at the time:

Australians will be deeply appreciative of his Majesty's action in appointing a member of the Royal Family to be Governor-General of Australia. All in the country will look forward with affectionate and loyal interest to the arrival again in Australia of His Royal Highness.8

And from a newspaper at the time:

'In acceding to the Curtin Government's request that the Duke might be appointed to Canberra, his Majesty at once gives immense gratification to the peoples of Australia and reaffirms the supreme importance of the Crown as the centre and symbol of Empire unity.'

Not popular all around. There were those who thought that they needed to have an Australian in the position. The second lat GG before him was Australian born. Henry would be replaced by an Ausie though he wasnt the last British born GG of Australia.

It was actually meant to be George who was GG of Australia, but he died in his crash before he was sent. Henry was sent in his stead.

It wasnt unheard of course for senior royals to be named. In Canada we had Arthur, Duke of Connaught. We also had his brother in law the Marquis of Lorne and his wife Prince Louise (my province is named for her).

I don't know why Princess Benedikte attended the memorial for Princess Alice. It's possible that she had come to represent the Danish Royal Family. Or maybe she had a personal relationship to her? Alice wasn't Benediktes godmother but Elizabeth the Queenmother was, as you can see here as well:

Benedikte von Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg

On the same site you can find Princess Alice and information about her godchildren, sadly the link doesn't work if I post it.
I think Princess Alice knew Princess Benedikt and Queen Anne-Marie and King Constantine back then lived in London and are still close to the BRF

Lady Alice Montagu Douglas Scott's debut in society was at a ball for King George V and Queen Mary's daughter Princess Mary.

His First ceremony Prince Henry presented war honours in Birmingham.

The peak of glamour for the BRF, Princess Alice and Princess Marina were the definition of REGAL.

Back
Top Bottom