The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-16-2009, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierna23 View Post

I think you mixed it up a bit. Beryl Markham did have an affair with the Duke of Windsor AND Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester.

Maybe more information can be found in this article:

From Duke of Clarence to Margaret, the blackmailers' royal victims | Mail Online
Beryl Markham was a verrry busy lady! I'm suprised about the affair with the Duke of Gloucester though.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:31 PM
Commoner

I know it's an old thread, but I just learned about Princess Alice, so it's all new to me. Can anyone recommend a biography?

Old 12-18-2009, 08:01 PM
Administrator

Welcome OlderthanILook!

You can try wikipedia first. Not much is written about the Gloucesters. They flint in and out of biographies of the Duke of Windsor, George VI, George and Queen Mary.

Princess Alice wrote a book, Memories of Ninety Years. You can try ebay or half.com. There is a book about the late Duke, but is hard to find.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:44 PM
Commoner

Yes, I've just read her memoir ("90 Years"). I think an in-depth biography would be fascinating. If I were a historian, I'd write it. I think she's just lovely. She has such a direct gaze in her photos. She was very photogenic. It's difficult to believe she was so shy.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:06 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlderThanILook View Post
Yes, I've just read her memoir ("90 Years"). I think an in-depth biography would be fascinating. If I were a historian, I'd write it. I think she's just lovely. She has such a direct gaze in her photos. She was very photogenic. It's difficult to believe she was so shy.

However the problem for an historian is that 'who would buy it?'. Without a commercial market there is no point. No publisher would publish it and so that creates additional costs to get it published and most historians aren't that wealthy - which is why they work in universities.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:57 AM
Aristocracy

I'm afraid you are right, Iluvbertie. A pity, though. I would like to read good biographies about King George V.'s children and their spouses.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:01 AM
Administrator

There was a book written about the children call Born Royal.

It was okay, but honestly it didn't say anything that isn't all ready well known via the biographies of Edward VIII or George VI or their wives. Or even wikipedia.

Unfortunately for us, Henry and Alice led normal (nothing too scandalous), did their duty, produced two children who also led somewhat quiet lives (with the exception of Wililams death). Which isn't a bad thing except for us royal watchers.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:30 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Yes, indeed. There's this rather amusing anecdote of Henry saying that if he ever would write his memoirs he would call them "40 years of boredom". The only thing I own about the Gloucesters is the edition about them of "Royal Romances" , I know it's rather a bit gossipy, but it gives some information as well and at least tons of rare pictures of them. It is often available on ebay. I too would like to read a good biography about Henry & Alice.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:58 AM
Courtier

I hate the fact that the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester never got the proper recognition and appreciation they deserved from media and public. They were only couple who had completely proper marital stability, good healthy lifestyle, and of course, right sexuality among George V's sons
They were a great support to the Queen in the 50s and 60s. The Duke was the one who literally 'baptised' the Queen into royal duties like Trooping the Colour and all.They performed all highest-profile engagements which now Prince Charles performs. And they never sought the flamboyance and extravagance like the QM. Ironically, 3 generations down, they have spared the Queen any sort of PR/media-headache from their side.
Maybe we didnt care that much for them, because they had neither glamour nor scandal..And BTW their grandson is way damn hottt
Old 01-04-2013, 12:55 PM
Serene Highness

I certainly agree that the Gloucesters have been the epitome of royalty, and I find them so refreshing and wonderful. But as far as having no glamour, surely their son William had plenty of that, but he died young. I think the present Duke and his wife Birgitta are glamorous in an appropriate (not scandalous) way. Birgitta seems to have an outstanding collection of jewels and tiaras, which she wears often, and she is glamorous even though no longer young. Her clothes are beautiful. The Duke has a courtly, refined expression which seems to have been born and raised in him, not put on. Princess Alice was a doll! These people lived a healthy life, and I believe some of this was due to the fact that they knew the Porphyria gene ran in their family, and drinking alcohol and staying up late would simply aggravate that; Forgive me for bringing up that subject again, but I think it had an important role in determining their lifestyle. For those who do not know already, Prince William, Alice and Henry's elder son, had Porphyria, a genetic neuro-visceral illness, thus one or both of his parents had it too. 50% inherit, on average, this dominant gene. Alice was aware of it was instrumental in getting William diagnosed, although his first dx came from a doctor in Africa who came from South Africa, where William's type of Porphyria is commoner (5 % of population today).
Old 01-04-2013, 01:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrish View Post
I hate the fact that the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester never got the proper recognition and appreciation they deserved from media and public. They were only couple who had completely proper marital stability, good healthy lifestyle, and of course, right sexuality among George V's sons
They were a great support to the Queen in the 50s and 60s. The Duke was the one who literally 'baptised' the Queen into royal duties like Trooping the Colour and all.They performed all highest-profile engagements which now Prince Charles performs. And they never sought the flamboyance and extravagance like the QM. Ironically, 3 generations down, they have spared the Queen any sort of PR/media-headache from their side.
Maybe we didnt care that much for them, because they had neither glamour nor scandal..And BTW their grandson is way damn hottt
I don't understand this statement - are you forgetting George VI and Queen Elizabeth?

I really appreciate this couple and the current Duke and Duchess who deserve more credit but prefer to be out of the limelight.

HMQ certainly appreciated Princess Alice as she allowed her to use the title, Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester after the old Duke died.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 01-04-2013, 02:06 PM
Courtier

Right sexuality?
Didn´t Henry slept with married women?
Old 01-04-2013, 02:28 PM
Heir Apparent

^^^^
Whats the problem with that as long as it was consensual?
Old 01-04-2013, 05:18 PM
Heir Apparent

If you are interested in seeing very early photos of Prince Henry then here is a link to the National Portrait Gallery site - his page. If you type in Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester in search at the top of the page, you will see some pix of her.

Prince Henry was a good looking chap.

National Portrait Gallery - Person - Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester

Old 01-04-2013, 05:44 PM
Serene Highness

Cepe, I tried to get a picture of the Earl of Ulster, Richard's son, and all are unavailable due to copyright. I guess he is very "retiring", very careful of his privacy. I noticed he was sitting just behind the Queen's right shoulder in the St. Paul's group for her Anniversary service, right where the photographers would inevitably photograph him. So there one gets a chance to see him. And as someone said, he's good looking! He is married to a practicing physician, I believe (hard to keep all these royal descendants straight).
Old 01-04-2013, 05:48 PM
Heir Apparent

That's a shame Mariel, but the copyright is about the terms under which the NPG was given the image, i.e. they can have is for archive/historical purposes but cannot print or sell it.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:57 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
If you are interested in seeing very early photos of Prince Henry then here is a link to the National Portrait Gallery site - his page. If you type in Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester in search at the top of the page, you will see some pix of her.

Prince Henry was a good looking chap.

National Portrait Gallery - Person - Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester

Agree, IMO he was King George V second, after the Prince of Wales, most handsome son.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:58 AM
Courtier

Here is a very charming video (from Brit. Pathé) of Alice, the Duchss o G launching a ship in 1937 (with sound!):

THE DUCHESS OF GLOUCESTER LAUNCHES A CRUISER - British Pathé
Old 03-17-2014, 09:09 AM
Courtier

Vid. of the wedding (funny way of waving these days...):

THE ROYAL WEDDING aka DUKE AND DUCHESS OF GLOUCESTER'S WEDDING - British Pathé
Old 03-17-2014, 04:12 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
Vid. of the wedding (funny way of waving these days...):

THE ROYAL WEDDING aka DUKE AND DUCHESS OF GLOUCESTER'S WEDDING - British Pathé
to all those people who say that popularity and mass-appeal to BRF was only due to the angel of '81...they should be shown this and vids of other pre-81 royal weddings..

Tags
duchess of gloucester, princess alice, princess alice duchess of gloucester