Prince and Princess Michael of Kent Current Events 6: July 2011- Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Both of them look as if they were having mobility issues at recent events,the Princess was holding onto Prince Michael's arm for support at the Service at St Paul's.

It won't make a huge impact but I wish them both well!

It's a funny one with them. They were, currently are, working royals in the sense that they are patron/president of hundreds of organisations and the Prince holds a number of military appointments bestowed by the Queen. The only difference is that they funded it themselves but that wouldn't have mattered to the people they met when doing engagements. They have been doing much the same as the so-called working royals for decades and their work has been acknowledged by the Queen over the years. As far as their retirement not having an impact well I suppose it won't to the media, just as it wouldn't if the Gloucesters retired tomorrow, but I'm sure the charities they helped will be sorry to see them go as many will not get another royal patron as the number of working royals is shrinking all the time. I suspect they will still attend major royal occasions and the Prince will continue with his military roles.

Prince Charles called the Princess "Rent a Kent" ..
She was in the past always with glam and with great jewels.
Wearing the same outfit 3 times with same jewels was strange .
Now it is not a loss for the Firm!

I always felt they were in a limbo situation, they were criticised for trying to earn a private income while at the same time not really at the forefront of royal events.

I always felt they were in a limbo situation, they were criticised for trying to earn a private income while at the same time not really at the forefront of royal events.

I agree, it was a somewhat tricky situation for them.

They were a beautiful couple , it is sad to see time marching on.

Did they got a lot of money with their Russian Business ?
They were not alwys a beautiful couple !

I do not know anythjing about their business, so will not comment. I still think they made a very handsome couple when they were younger.
Although much more frail now I still think they look quite good .

They made some money off the Russian connections, though it is difficult to tell how much.

Prince Michael, who speaks fluent Russian, was quite involved with the Russo-British Chamber of Commerce, which is quite legitimate, but obviously all trade links with Russia have been suspended due to the invasion of Ukraine. His TV programmes about the Romanovs have been very good, and so have Princess Michael's books - not sure if she plans to write any more. They're both involved with various charities. But he'll be 80 next month, and she'll be 77.

I agree that they were in a no-win situation. Yes, she called herself HRH Princess Michael on the front covers of her books, but what was she supposed to put? Marie-Christine Windsor?

Prince Michael, who speaks fluent Russian, was quite involved with the Russo-British Chamber of Commerce, which is quite legitimate, but obviously all trade links with Russia have been suspended due to the invasion of Ukraine. His TV programmes about the Romanovs have been very good, and so have Princess Michael's books - not sure if she plans to write any more. They're both involved with various charities. But he'll be 80 next month, and she'll be 77.

I agree that they were in a no-win situation. Yes, she called herself HRH Princess Michael on the front covers of her books, but what was she supposed to put? Marie-Christine Windsor?

I’ve seen some of his programs on the Romanovs. They are good. And he does bear a striking resemblance to his Russian relations.

They did seem to be in a no- win situation. Agreed.

Well the Queen clearly did appreciate the work they did as she made Michael a Knight Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order which is only given to those who have worked hard on behalf of the Sovereign. She also gave him high ranking honorary titles in the army, airforce and navy and they attend major annual events like the Festival of Remembrance and State banquets. I hope they will still go to the big events and I'm sure the Prince will keep his military associations active.

Well the Queen clearly did appreciate the work they did as she made Michael a Knight Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order which is only given to those who have worked hard on behalf of the Sovereign. She also gave him high ranking honorary titles in the army, airforce and navy and they attend major annual events like the Festival of Remembrance and State banquets. I hope they will still go to the big events and I'm sure the Prince will keep his military associations active.

And the Queen did provide the Kents with a grace and favour home until public outcry forced to ask rents. (In 2001 Buckingham Palace confirmed that Prince Michael of Kent and his wife Princess Michael pay less than the weekly rent of a council house for the grace and favour apartment loaned to them by the Queen at Kensington Palace). They have been allowed to live in the apartment, larger than most homes, with seven bedrooms and nine reception rooms, since 1979.

And the Queen did provide the Kents with a grace and favour home until public outcry forced to ask rents. (In 2001 Buckingham Palace confirmed that Prince Michael of Kent and his wife Princess Michael pay less than the weekly rent of a council house for the grace and favour apartment loaned to them by the Queen at Kensington Palace). They have been allowed to live in the apartment, larger than most homes, with seven bedrooms and nine reception rooms, since 1979.

Well the Queen gave them the apartment so perhaps it's the Queen you should criticize if you don't like them having it, although what their home has to do with previous posts I don't know. You also exaggerate, it has 3 reception rooms and 5 bedrooms.

Last edited:
Maybe one could write the British Crown and ask the specific question as to how many bedrooms, receptions rooms, kitchens, hallways, restrooms, doorways, windows, etc the apartment has? There probably is already an official document in the vaults somewhere but if changes were done to the apartment it all can change. Just an idea.

Maybe one could write the British Crown and ask the specific question as to how many bedrooms, receptions rooms, kitchens, hallways, restrooms, doorways, windows, etc the apartment has? There probably is already an official document in the vaults somewhere but if changes were done to the apartment it all can change. Just an idea.

I don't know why this issue even came up in the last few posts to be honest.

I wonder if the impending retirement is at least in part a belated consequence of the Times investigation of influence-peddling in Russian government circles by Prince Michael and his business partner. I was a bit surprised by the lack of consequences for his official role, especially as the incident was captured on video, but I hope Princess Michael is not being punished for her husband's actions.

Marie-Christine Kent would be the traditional option (see the professional names of Katharine Kent, Beatrice York and Eugenie York). But Marie-Christine Windsor or Marie-Christine von Reibnitz would be perfectly acceptable.

I don't know why this issue even came up in the last few posts to be honest.

In message #973, you recounted marks of favor given by the Queen to Prince and Princess Michael (Royal Victorian Order, honorary titles and a place at state events). Duc_et_Pair, quoting your message, was adding another item to your list: the grace and favor home.

I wonder if the impending retirement is at least in part a belated consequence of the Times investigation of influence-peddling in Russian government circles by Prince Michael and his business partner. I was a bit surprised by the lack of consequences for his official role, especially as the incident was captured on video, but I hope Princess Michael is not being punished for her husband's actions.

Marie-Christine Kent would be the traditional option (see the professional names of Katharine Kent, Beatrice York and Eugenie York). But Marie-Christine Windsor or Marie-Christine von Reibnitz would be perfectly acceptable.

In message #973, you recounted marks of favor given by the Queen to Prince and Princess Michael (Royal Victorian Order, honorary titles and a place at state events). Duc_et_Pair, quoting your message, was adding another item to your list: the grace and favor home.

No, I felt Duc et Pair was being critical of them having the apartment and it was being mentioned in that context. All of the previous posters had been commenting on the work they had done and the house and it's size just sort of got launched into the mix which I didn't think was relevant.

:previous: I am afraid your perception that everyone is against this couple clouded your interpretation of Duc_et_Pair's comment. Nothing in his comment suggests criticism against this couple. It is a matter of fact description of how the queen was so kind to provide them with a royal apartment for a very affordable price. Only due to public outcry she had to change course.

His previous post even praised the couple.

:previous: I am afraid your perception that everyone is against this couple clouded your interpretation of Duc_et_Pair's comment. Nothing in his comment suggests criticism against this couple. It is a matter of fact description of how the queen was so kind to provide them with a royal apartment for a very affordable price. Only due to public outcry she had to change course.

His previous post even praised the couple.

I don't have a perception that everyone is against them.

There was publicity at the time it was revealed about the grace and favour home, urged on by the media, nothing new there then. To be fair I really do believe they were given it almost as compensation for the work that they did without any recompense from what was the civil list, now the Sovereign Grant. As I said earlier they were in a limbo situation with regards how they earned a living because of their closeness to the crown.

I know certain royal watchers view them as an old couple, along with the Kents and Gloucesters , who do not do much but lets remember they were not always in their 70's and 80's.

With regard his work with Russia, there was a time when closer links were encouraged by government agencies.

The impending retirement of the Kents is the end of an era.

Once I observed Princess Michael wearing the same outfit, with the same hat, with only slight variations in jewelry, three events in a row, I had to wonder what was going on. She definitely seemed to be a bit unsettled on her feet at the St. Paul's service and her long battle with Covid-19 certainly could have taken a toll.

They have been around for half a century and added some pizzaz to the Royal Family and gave the tabloids some fabulous fodder. They have always cut a very glamorous figure. Perhaps history will look back on them as being a tad frivolous, but life needs a bit of frivolity and a bit of frothy fun, and the Kents delivered on that in spades.

Prince and Princess Michael of Kent spent decades at the proverbial ball.

Its not the frivolity that is objected to, it is the grasping for money

Prince and Princess Michael of Kent Current Events 6: July 2011-

It's time to close this thread. You can find the new one here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom