Prince and Princess Michael of Kent Current Events 6: July 2011- Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, having a strict mother seems to give one A severe lack of compassion. I'd say Diana was better off. She may have been uneducated, which I tend to disagree with because there's more than one type of education In life, but she had a heart of gold. Surely that's more important. I just read in the daily Mail, where Princess Michael said she was close to Diana. Since Diana said she couldn't stand her in Simone Simmons Book, I highly doubt that is the case.

Andrew Morton wrote another book after "Diana her true story" where he said she was friendly with Princess Michael using mainly the same sources as the first book which we know were accurate. Simone Simmons is Jewish and I've sometimes wondered if her stories about PM might be prejudiced because of the Nazi link via the princess' father. I would probably go with what Morton says over anyone else.

You may be right. Simone described Princess Michael with some pretty nasty language I won't repeat here...
Thinking about Princess Michael's comment about Diana's being uneducated-this came to mind - you can have the best education money can buy, which Princess Michael obviously values- nothing wrong with that-but if you don't have compassion your going to be less successful in my opinion. Money does not and cannot give people genuine gifts of love, compassion, and charisma. People whose lives you touch with these gifts are not going to care what your bank account looks like. I admire people with these gifts much more so, than people with big bank accounts

Last edited:
I do believe the malice of the statements has been taken out of context. After watching the interview, I surprisingly felt as if Princess Michael was channeling The Dowager Duchess Grantham (from Downton Abbey) in her remarks. She most definitely has an air about her and I felt her comment about Diana being uneducated was a comment to her innocence in coming to the job; in her mind it was a statement of fact, not an opinion. I also felt she put the blame at both Diana and Sarah's mothers for their daughters' lack of success in their roles and that they weren't raised properly. It was an arrogant opinion, but seemed to fit her station. Maggie Smith could have said the same script without missing a beat.

And her comment about the older generation of the royal family is perceived as being boring - it was a self deprecating comment on how everyone likes the younger ones. I didn't feel there was anything malicious about the comments - just they were very her.

It was enough fodder for a headline for the DM on a slow news day

Maybe next time there is a film about the British royal family Maggie Smith should play Princess Michael!:lol:
It may be fine for the Countess of Gratham but the princesses air of snobness makes me uncomfortable.

Prince and Princess Michael of Kent 6: July 2011-

Whenever I see Princess Michael has stirred the pot again, which regardless of the tone or anything taken out of context is exactly what she's done, I picture her at KP w/very pleased expression on her face because she's being talked about/getting attention. I stopped taking anything she says about stuff in the past seriously a very long time ago, because it's almost always geared to producing a fuss, which in turn has people talking about her.

It also seems she doesn't care who she hurts by her comments either. I'm not just talking about today either. This is the Grandmother who stated in an interview not long ago that she thought on seeing Maude's picture for the first time she wasn't entirely impressed by how the little one looked. If it had been anyone else, I would have been shocked more than I was, but then I considered the source and rolled my eyes, so this time around...

Nasty comments about Diana and Sarah, check.

Got in the papers and people talking, check.

Mission Accomplished

As far as Princess Pushy (and I can't think of a more fitting nick name for this piece of work), just consider the source and let it go.

Last edited:
:previous:
What Tigger said!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well she does have a book out and like they say, any publicity is good publicity.
I think Princess Michael knows exactly what is doing and that these comments will get her a much amount of media attention. I really wish the Queen would stop taking it from Princess Michael and do something to get her own back like kick her out of Kensington Palace and take away her HRH. I know it won't happen but I'd love it to! ;-)

Well, didn't HM raise the Kents' rent from a peppercorn to 120000 a year?:cool:

I'm imagining the Queen calling the Princess in for a 'chat' , dressed in her full state opening regalia on the throne at BP and telling Princess Michael to"get lorrst"

...It also seems she doesn't care who she hurts by her comments...
You hit the nail on the head as far as The reason why I don't like Princess Michael. Mind you, this is only the second time I've read an interview of her. But I dislike her grandness, her thinking she is the best thing since sliced bread, her sense of" look at me".
I didn't know she made bad comments about her granddaughter that is awful, not surprising.:ohmy:
Poor child.
I remember Reading about some uproar she caused when she fired a maid Who was dying of breast cancer. Ironic if true, because at the time, she was patron of the breast cancer society!:ohmy: I also remember reading where the queen was quoted as saying" she is grander than us!"

Well she does have a book out and like they say, any publicity is good publicity.
I think Princess Michael knows exactly what is doing and that these comments will get her a much amount of media attention. I really wish the Queen would stop taking it from Princess Michael and do something to get her own back like kick her out of Kensington Palace and take away her HRH. I know it won't happen but I'd love it to! ;-)

All of this could be one of the reasons she's never gotten any kind of order or recognition from HM. To me, that speaks volumes.

Is Her Majesty going to take Prince Michael's of Kent title away? What exactly should Her Majesty do?

The pearl-clutching among the vulgar herd and righteous proclamations are entertaining as usual.

Last edited:
I'm imagining the Queen calling the Princess in for a 'chat' , dressed in her full state opening regalia on the throne at BP and telling Princess Michael to"get lorrst"

I doubt it.

It also seems she doesn't care who she hurts by her comments either....
I agree! With all her breeding, training and intelligence, anything she does could only be deliberate and at the same time it is a nasty mess. No wonder Prince M rarely says anything. I almost pity the man.

This woman seems like a rather nasty piece of work to me. Her education and training didn't teach her that when she had nothing nice to say, it's better to keep one's mouth closed. She would have come off more intelligent that way.

When reading what she actually said, as opposed to the headlines, she didn't say anything nasty at all. She said the truth - sure - but when has the truth been nasty? It is often seen that way by those who are blinded by their own rose-coloured glasses about a person, group, etc but it isn't nasty - it is just the truth.

I agree with you Ilivbertie, The truth is Diana didn't have any college or University degree, she finished high school and got married more or less, and as a matter of fact the Queen doesn't have any university degree either, or am I wrong?
but I must say if you compare with the princess of today that all of them have university degree and they speak several languages too! if was very different at that time! and at one point the wife of PM T.Blair, made a similar coment about Diane and really with a bad tone, she even add that Diana was an aerohead! she was really nasty at the time!

I didn't find her words towards the late Princess nasty either. The headlines are making it seem like she said Diana was an "uneducated" person. She didn't actually say that. As Princess Michael were saying, Diana was a lonely person and didn't have much support but she really connected with the people.

I may be alone in this but I actually think being a senior member of the royal family actually gives you an education that a college or university can't give you. I think being a senior royal is an education class on it's own.

Last edited:
T me the comments were calculated to generate maximum publicity and so are in a way mean as they are using the Prince's (extended) family for her own gain. I think they shock some people (although nothing Princess Michael does shocks some people anymore) because its a member of he royal family speaking out which is something they don't and shouldn't do.
The Princess apparently said at the beginning of he interview she wouldn't talk about the royal family but then went and did so but the fact she said she wouldn't suggests to me she knew she shouldn't.
To me the Princess does it to get publicity, she knows if she mentions the Queen, Diana and the Cambridge's her comments will generate publicity and to me,even if its not mean, its disrespectful and poor behavior.

:bang: She initiallly declined to answer the question but the interviewer wouldn't take no for an answer. Since she was promoting a book she had to be cordial so she answered.

This was the same with Princess Anne asking about George.

This woman seems like a rather nasty piece of work to me. Her education and training didn't teach her that when she had nothing nice to say, it's better to keep one's mouth closed. She would have come off more intelligent that way.

I didn't find her words towards the late Princess nasty either. The headlines are making it seem like she said Diana was an "uneducated" person. She didn't actually say that. As Princess Michael were saying, Diana was a lonely person and didn't have much support but she really connected with the people.

I may be alone in this but I actually think being a senior member of the royal family actually gives you an education that a college or university can't give you. I think being a senior royal is an education class on it's own.
@ Daria- agreed. I feel sorry for her. She seems so blinded by her wealth Monetarily that she cannot see the real wealth of life which is love. She reminds me of a richer version of Miss O'Brien from Downton abbey. Maybe A better comparison would be the character of miss Harbottle from all creatures Great and small.
@ D Man- I agree being a senior member of the royal family gives one an education. But that does not make one A good Royal. The best present Royals that I have seen are ones with the natural gifts of compassion, love , and charisma. These cannot be taught by any form of education. Princess Michael does not possess them.

I don't think people who are making stupids comments about Princess Michael read the article. Her Royal Highness said nothing but the truth.

"Of course we're thrilled to have a beautiful young married couple with a baby.

"Let's hope there are more marriages soon because I think to have that young generation is terribly good for the people. The people love to see happy young people and I think the older generation are a bit boring for most people."

Most people adores The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, Prince George and Prince Harry, but who thinks The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, The Duke and Duchess of Kent, Prince and Princess Michael of Kent and Princess Alexandra are "cool"? They are venerable for they service for the United Kingdom and Commonwealth, but they don't have the same "celebrity status" as the Cambridges and Prince Harry.

Besides, Princess Micheal is Royal and old, so she must know better than us.

"Like probably many people of little education who find themselves, like pop stars or film stars, suddenly lauded by the whole world, it is very difficult if you have not had a mother bringing you up who was quite stern and strict. She did not have a mother bring her up and she did not have much education, so it is much harder to cope with eulogy.

"She had her two sisters but they were doing their own thing and she was the youngest and on her own, and her mother went to Australia when she was 10 years old or something and that is tough. Sarah Ferguson had the same thing. Her mother went off to Buenos Aires when she was very young."

Also very true. After graduating from a finishing school in Switzerland, Lady Diana Spencer took a cooking course and then became a nursey assistant. Not very well-educated.

And Frances Kydd and Susan Barrantes were terribly worthless as mothers. They left their children behind to live with their lovers. The late Diana, Princess of Wales, was unprepared for her role as Princess of Wales and future Queen. She ignored the courtiers The Queen kindly appointed to help her and tried to upstage her husband and other members of the Royal Family.

Poor girl. She was completly unsuitable, but it was not all her fault. The Prince of Wales should be blamed for marrying her.

At least, she gave us Princes William and Harry.

The people who are saying nasty things about Princess Michael are childish and unprepared to hear the truth. I'm very sorry for them.

Last edited:
That last part is a rather sweeping statement IMO.
I don't have any particular warmth towards Princess Michael and I'm the first to admit it, but I also accept the media she her as a great source of headlines. However, she should know this by now and try to steer away from talking about the RF IMO.

When reading what she actually said, as opposed to the headlines, she didn't say anything nasty at all. She said the truth - sure - but when has the truth been nasty? It is often seen that way by those who are blinded by their own rose-coloured glasses about a person, group, etc but it isn't nasty - it is just the truth.

People can choose to simply not say something. Truth or not. I would never tell a reporter that someone was not smart or was dull or otherwise not up to my level. Even if I believed it were the truth. And therein lies the rub - we all believe our own versions to be true. She believes things to be true. But here are usually two sides to all these stories - and I'm not talking the kind of belief that comes from rose colored glasses.
She is stirring the pot to sell books. That's my version of the truth here.

And I have no problem with her speaking her truth, even if it was negative. It was the words she used and the way she said it. In fact, I have more trouble, with what was implied than what was spoken.

I'm having trouble seeing the video which has caused all the kerfuffle. All I have available are the few statements that have been quoted in a few posts and, having read them, I am at a bit of a loss to understand the problem with what Princess Michael said. As I see it, all she has essentially done is:

a) Say it's good to have a beautiful young married couple with a baby. Surely this is OK. She has a new grandchild herself.

b) Say she hopes for more marriages and that it's good to have the young generation and that people love to see happy young people. Surely nothing wrong with this, either.

c) Say she thinks the older generation are a bit boring for most people. She didn't pick on anyone in particular and in view of her age I think she's including herself in there. She didn't pick on anyone in particular and say they are boring, just that the older generation is a bit boring for most people. Seems a fair comment to me.

d) I'll quote this one in full:

Like probably many people of little education who find themselves, like pop stars or film stars, suddenly lauded by the whole world, it is very difficult if you have not had a mother bringing you up who was quite stern and strict. She did not have a mother bring her up and she did not have much education, so it is much harder to cope with eulogy.

I'm assuming that she was talking about Diana here, and this comment seems to have gotten up a few people's noses and they've seen it as an attack on Diana, but what's really wrong with what Princess Michael said? I'm not sure I understand the connection with not having a stern & strict mother bring you up, but there might be something to it. Perhaps she meant Diana didn't have a strong maternal figure to consult with and guide her during her teenage years and into her relationship with Charles and the early years of her marriage and the time when she became so popular so quickly. If so, that seems fair and reasonable to me. If Diana had had someone close to her to talk to and advise her and who only had her best interests at heart, she might not have married Charles, which I think would have been a good thing for everyone.

As for the comment about education, Diana was not particularly well educated. She couldn't even pass her final high school exams after two attempts. I suspect it's what Princess Michael didn't say here, rather than what she actually said, that's bothering people. There was a reason Diana had trouble passing exams and ignoring the fact won't change it. I think we also need to remember that Princess Michael actually knew Diana.

e) I'll quote this one in full, too.

"She had her two sisters but they were doing their own thing and she was the youngest and on her own, and her mother went to Australia when she was 10 years old or something and that is tough. Sarah Ferguson had the same thing. Her mother went off to Buenos Aires when she was very young."

What's wrong with this? Diana's mother did leave her and her sisters were doing their own thing. She needed a strong female role model and advisor and she didn't have one. Same with Sarah. But with both women I tend to think it was their own personalities that caused them grief, not the absence of their mothers. But that's just my opinion and I could be wrong. As I understand it, Princess Michael has always had a close relationship with her children and she might strongly believe that the absence of that close maternal relationship is likely to cause significant problems for children.

Roslyn, you've hit the nail on the head. Those who are criticising P Michael on this board haven't either heard or read the interview.
I thought she was the soul of compassion about Diana and said many wonderful things. She never even implied she was dumb, she was merely talking about the lack of support she had when she was thrust into the blinding spotlight of the most famous person on earth!
I thought her comments on how neither Diana nor Sarah had their mothers' support was very insightful, as a mother myself. She must be a good mother.

I don't think people who are making stupids comments about Princess Michael read the article. Her Royal Highness said nothing but the truth. ....

Also very true. After graduating from a finishing school in Switzerland, Lady Diana Spencer took a cooking course and then became a nursey assistant. Not very well-educated.

And Frances Kydd and Susan Barrantes were terribly worthless as mothers. They left their children behind to live with their lovers. The late Diana, Princess of Wales, was unprepared for her role as Princess of Wales and future Queen. She ignored the courtiers The Queen kindly appointed to help her and tried to upstage her husband and other members of the Royal Family.

...She was completly unsuitable,..QUOTE]

I totally agree with your comments, especially about Princess Michael.

But I disagree that Frances and Susan were worthless mothers.
They were probably not the best of mothers & put themselves ahead of their children. Frances stayed around for a dozen years and Susan for about 18 years. Frances' children were mostly raised by nannies even when she was there. I'm not sure about Susan, but Susan's children were school age and probably already in boarding school.

FYI, finishing school is 8-10 months and Diana only went for 2 weeks to 4 months depending on source.

Last edited:

To me, it's just tacky that she's talking about her family to the press anyway. Especially when she loudly proclaims: 'I'm not going to talk about the family. I absolutely can't do that.' (And then, 'Here I go.')

I don't know why the RF - or her husband - tolerate it.

:previous: Marie Christine has hardly been warmly embraced by the Royal Family. She and Prince Michael live on the periphery of RF life. They don't perform official royal duties though she does perform a lot of work for charity. She is known for speaking her mind so I don't know why anyone's surprised she did in fact say something after having been pressed by Black. It is known that she did not get on with Diana.

I like her. I like her spirit. I also like the fact she likes Siamese and Burmese cats, that she is Patron of a number of charities devoted to wildlife preservation in Africa and is also an avid gardener. Add her interest in and knowledge of history and you have a woman I am sure I would enjoy meeting. She might not find me so interesting, but that's another matter.:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom