The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-30-2014, 12:37 PM
Heir Apparent

...I will not say I do not like princess Michael I've never met her I do not like how she comes across. She implies she thinks Diana was dumb by being snotty. It's all how she said it.

Old 01-30-2014, 03:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

She said: "Like probably many people of little education who find themselves, like pop stars or film stars, suddenly lauded by the whole world, it is very difficult if you have not had a mother bringing you up who was quite stern and strict. She did not have a mother bring her up and she did not have much education, so it is much harder to cope with eulogy."

I don't see anyone being snotty nor implying that Diana was dumb. Quite the contrary. She's saying that the difficulties Diana encountered were in a high degree due to the things she lacked the most: a mother and education. None of which was exactly Diana's fault.

Again, I think the way we interpret Princess Michael's words has more to do with our opinions on the two people (PM and Diana) than the words themselves. (see my previous post)

Old 01-30-2014, 04:20 PM
Heir Apparent

I think I'll gingerly stick my toe in these thrashing waters and opine that Princess Michael meant nothing malicious by her remarks. I have to agree with Juliette that the obstacles Diana faced as pointed out by PM were due to certain disadvantages she faced during her lifetime. Little education doesn't mean you're dumb; you can be lacking in formal education but have "street smarts." Diana happened to lack more formal education and possessed those street smarts, but it didn't sound that PM was implying that Diana was dumb by any means. Actually, she seemed quite sympathetic toward Diana's situation.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:34 PM
Administrator

Some extraneous posts have been edited or removed.
A reminder this thread is about Prince & Princess Michael; the virtues or otherwise of Diana can be discussed in the Diana subforum.

thanks,
Warren
British Forums moderator
Old 01-30-2014, 08:51 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma828 View Post
PM also has to earn money. She does not get any from the royals.

There are lots of royals who have to earn money, incl in the BRF. And yet they're not dishing on their families to the press. Hmmm...wonder what their secret is!

Oh yeah, discretion.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Indeed , my reaction had a lot to do with what I feel about Princess Michael-as opposed to what she said. Now that I think about it, implied was the wrong word. She didn't imply anything, she was snotty, that's what I find offensive.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:04 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
Indeed , my reaction had a lot to do with what I feel about Princess Michael-as opposed to what she said. Now that I think about it, implied was the wrong word. She didn't imply anything, she was snotty, that's what I find offensive.
The exaggeration of a few innocuous remarks by the Tabs in this case was because they wanted to plumb the anti Princess Michael sentiment which they themselves have created to a great degree. So they characterize her as attacking the 'real' royals and criticizing St. Diana, assuring clicks on their websites and sales of their papers.
I suspect that Princess Michael married far above the way she was raised and her arrogance/haughtiness is just the facade she's created to enable her to function in the world she joined through marriage. At the time they married she would have been considered a very unsuitable partner for Prince Michael being catholic and divorced.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:41 AM
Serene Highness

Well, after seeing the interview the papers have all referenced to, I know three things…

1. After hearing the tone she used and also the way she acted during this interview, she knew exactly what she was doing. What she said about Diana and Sarah was meant exactly how many of us have thought, only when paired w/the sneery snotty tone she used, it actually came across as much worse.

Was Diana perfect? Of course not, but what good comes out of someone attacking a dead person so long since they've passed? None AFAIC and it certainly does make the person saying such things come across as a rather nasty piece of work, not to mention a rather sad one as well. Sure it's got people talking about Princess Michael yet again, but it's nothing to be proud of due to her, yet again, seeking attention in the worst possible way.

2. The Cdn Press are calling this, rightfully I might add, as one of the more bizarre interviews a Member of the Royal Family has ever given and have they ever got that one right. She does tell the interviewer (I'll get into him in a moment) at the beginning she won't be talking about the Family and he knows that, but it was the way she did it that was so odd. She acted like a giggly Schoolgirl at the first, but then quickly changed tack as soon as she was given a chance to "to dish" about Diana and Sarah and became all coy and mysterious.

For once, a headline for an article wasn't overstepping the mark, but was dead on target. Her behaviour truly was odd and bizarre.

3. Of all the people she could have done this interview w/, she couldn't have picked a worse person than in the form of Conrad Black if she was truly serious of getting good promotion for her book.. The man's a snake to begin w/, but also guaranteed to stir up curiosity and get her attention just because of Black being what he is. Even so, it still only got enough attention to have the Globe and Mail mention the bizarreness of is due to the Princess' behaviour and then to pan the show itself as a sad attempt for Black to try and get back into journalism. Which it is and combine that w/the fact his show's on one of the smallest networks in Canada and considering his reputation, I can't see it lasting for a long time.

I don't have a problem w/her going out to promote her book, if she was serious about it. Everytime she does have a book due out though, it never fails. She always ends up stirring the pot and saying things about Diana or Sarah or whatever about the Family. Which gets her in the Papers for all the reasons she says she can't talk about.

As sentences on the written page can be twisted and I heard the interview was about to be re aired, thought I'd check it out. The papers actually made it sound better than what the Interview actually was. Sad too she feels the need to do this.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:12 PM
Royal Highness

Like Countess Mountbatten...Princess Michael, while having a right to her own opinion, should learn when to open and close her mouth. Diana is dead..leave it alone. All it will do is further marginalize her and husband once Charles becomes King.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Right- if you want press attention Why can't it be for something good?
As for Lady Mountbatton and Princess Michael learning to open and shut their mouths- couldn't agree more!
Old 03-07-2014, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Prince Michael attended a Royal Artillery Pass Off Parade at Alexander Barracks in Pirbright today, March 7:

** Pic ** gettyimages gallery **
Old 03-07-2014, 05:37 PM
Nobility

What an incredibly handsome and distinguished looking gentleman he is.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post

Prince Michael attended a Royal Artillery Pass Off Parade at Alexander Barracks in Pirbright today, March 7:

** Pic ** gettyimages gallery **
I love those black dress coats. He looks like a real prince!
Old 03-07-2014, 09:15 PM
Gentry

I got to admit he is one of my favourite royals and looks remarkable as always.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:13 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
What an incredibly handsome and distinguished looking gentleman he is.
I totally agree with this.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for the update!
It is great to see Prince Michael undertaking the engagement and looking absolutely regal.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:09 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Prince Michael Of Kent Attends A Royal Artillery Pass Off Parade
Search - Getty Images : GBR: Prince Michael Of Kent Attends A Royal Artillery Pass Off Parade

Quote:
Banksy in the ranks-y: Prince Michael of Kent inspects female soldier at passing out parade... but fails to notice her rebellious 'Molotov cocktail' tattoo
All present and correct? Don't Banksy on it.... Prince Michael of Kent inspects female soldier at passing out parade but misses tattoo of artist's 'molotov cocktail' graffiti | Mail Online

http://facetoface.de/webgate/index.p...EARCHSHOWTAB=1
Old 03-10-2014, 05:08 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
Thanks for the update!
It is great to see Prince Michael undertaking the engagement and looking absolutely regal.

Just a note - this wasn't an official engagement according to The Queen and CC.

He was just going about his business and had the time to do so. He would have had to pay his own expenses from his or his wife's income.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:12 PM
Heir Apparent

That is why I wrote "the engagement". I am aware of the fact that Prince and Princess Michael are members of the extended family, who do not do official engagements on behalf of the Windsors.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:29 PM
Majesty

The term 'engagement' with regards to the royals tends to mean official engagements and so I was making sure that people were aware that it wasn't. It was just an event that he attended.