The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 06:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Oh my what a GLAMOROUS picture that came with article, Dierna23!
Is there any other pics of that outfit she's wearing and is that pendant a double headed eagle?

Old 08-18-2009, 01:02 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Oh my what a GLAMOROUS picture that came with article, Dierna23!
Is there any other pics of that outfit she's wearing and is that pendant a double headed eagle?
I don't know for sure, but it really looks like that. And yes, I found this pic

Jamd

Its from 2006.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Ms. Nichols sounds quite bitter about Prince and Princess Michael. The couple in question are people of means, who has got their reasons to fly Easy Jet. Furthermore, I do not see anything wrong with a limousine meeting them on a runway unless, of course, the limousine on a runaway violates safety rules. Queen Sofia of Spain was highly lauded for catching a commercial flight to London.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:45 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I agree, Al Bina. And you're welcome, Russophile.

Princess Michael of Kent joins Golden Eagle "Crimean Express" April 2010 as guest lecturer.

ClassicTrainTravel.com - Luxury train travel worldwide by private trains, Transsiberian Express, Transmongolian Express, Deccan Odyssey, Arctic Steam Tour, Golden Eagle, Shangri-La Express, Canadian Empress and the Pride of Africa and Nadaam Festival
Old 09-15-2009, 10:44 AM
Courtier

I really think Princess Michael is prone to making mistakes and that she will appear many many times in the British tabloids because of this. One can´t very well blame other people for noticing her "gaffes" it would be much better if the lady in question "looked before she leaped" or was a little more discreet but I don´t think that will ever happen, for someone so regal she is a little flamboyant for the British Court, which has been, since the time of Queen Victoria at least, very conservative.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:13 AM
Aristocracy

Ladies, what did the Princess do that she is that unpopular? I know the story about the go back to the colonies-statement but she denied it. For me there is no reason here, shes beautiful and intelligent, certainly the most beautyful woman in the british royal family! She writes novels, she works, she has brain - what a gift! Maybe some people are just jelous! There will be allways failures in a humans behaviour if you search for them! And here in France she is very popular! Don't understand it.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:28 PM
Nobility

Some of princess michael's unpopularity started as soon as she got married and two things stand out from that time.The first was that she was catholic and refused to convert to the church of england and this meant that prince michael had to give up his place in the line of succesion .This in many people's mind was reminiscent of the duke of windsor and wallis(not the catholic thing )but giving up your throne or place in the succesion for a divorced woman.Second came the fact that some in the media poo pooed her aritoctatic ancestry that it wasn't very impressive etc, the princess shot back that she was actually better connected than many british aristos and the war began.You have to remember when she got married people weren't as politically correct as they might be today.Since this time both sides have made mistakes but rightly or wrongly she has been vilified ever since.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:15 PM
Aristocracy

Yes I knew these points before and still think its a shame. What about religious freedom?! It is an old fashioned rule that catholic don't have to marry a member of the british royal family without that this member loses his place in the succesion! Marie-Christine was right! Michael wouldn't have become catholic, would he?? I think the Queens words "she's a bit too grand for us" were just a joke and I've never heard her say that she feels more royal than the Queen. In fact maybe she's more royal than Diana was or the Queen mother. However one woman has to be the witch it seems and here it is the princess of Kent. What a pity!
Old 09-15-2009, 04:29 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westminster View Post
In fact maybe she's more royal than Diana was or the Queen mother. However one woman has to be the witch it seems and here it is the princess of Kent. What a pity!
I´m glad you said maybe because she is not more royal than these two ladies,
any royal descendance is from her mother. But I am sure this has nothing to do with her unpopularity, there are many other issues. I doubt whether the fact that Prince Michael lost his place in the succession had any effect, it was very tenuous to start with, a lot of people would have had to shuffle off the mortal coil for him to even get near the throne, his children have kept their right of succession so it is a case of "who cares?"
Old 09-16-2009, 01:18 AM
Aristocracy

Yes, Wisteria of course I said maybe. Well as far as I know she's a descendent from Catherine de Medici and her maternal family is linked to high noble austrian royal families! So, she is not a nobody I think. I really think there allways has to be a black sheep and the press decided to take her for the role, maybe because she's a foreigner??? I read a book in which they said she was quite popular until Diana married Charles because then the people had their young, beautiful princess and nobody needed the Kents any longer. Its a bit unfair, britain has a harsh press. But unless I love the country! I met the princess five years ago and she was so nice! I think she doesn't deserve all those silly headlines!!
Old 09-16-2009, 04:29 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
.... any royal descendance is from her mother. But I am sure this has nothing to do with her unpopularity, there are many other issues ...
The British do not like people who put themselves forward most of the time, nor are they too keen on a woman from a little known 'foreign' family trying to convince them that she is more royal than their own royal family. If she hadn't married Michael nobody in the UK would have heard of her. She is very loud, IMO, in her dress and attitude. There is also the problem of her father being a nazi.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:23 AM
Aristocracy

that raises some questions. Does she indeed push herself in the foreground all the time (if she has such a marvellous look and sense for fashion why should she dress herself in a potato sack)? Most we know about her behaviour we read and hear from third persons. If you look at interviews with her she seems to be a rather calm, intellectual and charming woman. I had the opportunity to meet her and found her very likable, she has a good humour and is very nice! secound question - are we entitled to held responsible for what someones parents did?! I don't think so! Beside from that her mother was a anti-nazi and was a few days in prison because of that! People allways prefer to see the bad side it seems or create a stereotype, makes life easier. As she herself once said: the british press wanted to have a bad girl and they chose me!
Old 09-16-2009, 07:10 AM
Courtier

Well,it is true that she is the most blue blooded since Prince Philipp who married into the family...her maternal grandmother is a Princess in her own right from an equal standing family as the royal ones...she has descended from almost every Catholic equal family of the Holy Roman Empire...

For example:

She and Queen Elizabeth II(and also her husband) both descended from Prince von Lobkowicz who died in 18th century...

She and King Albert II of Belgium both descended from Prince von Windisch-Graetz who died in 19th century

She is also related with Austrian Empress Sissi...Marie-Christine descended from Princess von Arenberg and Sissi's grandmother was from the same Arenberg family...

She descended from Savoy-Carignano family who were Kings of Italy

etc.

So,in terms of blue blood and descendancy from equal families she is the most blue blooded...Queen Mother nearest legitimate royal ancestor was Princess Jane of Scotland who lived in 14th century...so,what she said is really a fact and not a fiction!

But,sometimes,people react badly if the truth doesn't suit them!
Old 09-16-2009, 07:40 AM
Heir Apparent

I agree that the Press can be unfair, and is always looking to pick on anyone, but PM does give them plenty of fodder eg: her "affair" with the Russian, the fake sheikh issue in relation to the sale of Nether Lypiatt, "send themback to the colonioes", ".....anything for a hot lunch"......... the list goes on. So whilst one can query whether the moniker of Princess Pushy is apt or not, these really not characteristic of somebody who is a shrinking violet!
Old 09-16-2009, 08:08 AM
Aristocracy

She denied that she ever said "send them back to the colonies". Her affair his her own thing, many aristcratic couples have arrangements, its their private live and leave them alone. The fake sheikh issue was a bit careless but in my opinion she said nothing what was that bad.

"Camilla will be our queen when Charles becomes king" - no cruel statement.
"I hope William won't marry Kate Middleton yet - he's too young" - her opinion.
"Diana was rather strange...a womb...not been loved." - well she knew her a bit, her personal feelings and from a historical view Diana was a womb as every consort of a king is because they have to produce an heir.

I do not know if she told the "anything for a hot lunch"-statement to a reporter or something. I found it rather funny. Sometimes she says just things which are SO true that all the politcal correct and moralizing people have to cry out of course. Its like with Prince Philip, some people say he's a old, mean man and a racist. I find him funny. But maybe its allways a difference between a man saying such things or a woman.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:02 AM
Courtier

Well,anything she said might be the truth...like that with blue blood!
Old 09-16-2009, 09:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
She denied that she ever said "send them back to the colonies"... .
You are absoluetly correct that none of this can necessarily be taken as fact and is not necessarily verifiable (in the legal sense of the term), but surely, if each oif these statements or incidents were completely untrue, PM would have sued the publishers successfully.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
that raises some questions. Does she indeed push herself in the foreground all the time (if she has such a marvellous look and sense for fashion why should she dress herself in a potato sack)? Most we know about her behaviour we read and hear from third persons. If you look at interviews with her she seems to be a rather calm, intellectual and charming woman. I had the opportunity to meet her and found her very likable, she has a good humour and is very nice! second question - are we entitled to held responsible for what someones parents did?! I don't think so!
IMO, (yes, I too have met her) she does push herself forward. She can be quite voluble in her assertation that she is better bred, better dressed, children brighter etc. You can hear her when she is on the other side of a room.

Whether she has a marvelous look or sense for fashion, is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:52 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I've never met her. Is she that loud? I think what we see in a person is in the eye of the beholder as well. It reminds me of when I had the chance for a long meeting with another famous and quite controversial woman. I will not say the name, because she was not a royal and it would be a far too long story. But it was a very very big difference between when she talked to me and the way she talked in interviews. So I think I can't say anything about Princess M. and about her personality.

There are various temperaments (what makes life colourful IMO) and as we are all different people, someone prefers calm people the other maybe loud people. Everyone is entitled to his own opinion about it and how Al_Bina wrote, all this is really in the eye of the beholder and it's subjective how you percieve another person. However, as I remember right, Marie-Christine called herself once volatile and of hungarian nature.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:16 PM
Courtier

Is it wrong to try to push yourself if you are not on a civil list and must make money of your own,unlike other royals?All these years Prince Philipp and the Queen were asking for more money from the Parliament and were not called pushers...

As for her sense of fashion,for me,she along with Lady Helen Taylor has the most glamorous taste...unlike Princess Anne!It is not what you wear but how you wear it...Marie-Christine has never been dressed badly...

And is married to the most blue-blooded Prince in the family

Tags
prince michael of kent, princess michael of kent