Preferred Wives For William and Harry

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the future "foreign?" queen of england

Hi, people! Well, i wanted to start a new thread about this possibility:
i've been wondering what would have happened if maxima zorreguieta had her destiny in England instead Holland. Could she be accepted by the british people has Holland does? So what if a foreign girl, lets say, argentinian like princess maxima, has the right education, comes from an upper class wealthy family and has the perfect background, happens to be Prince William's future wife?
Would you accept it? Does her "hypothetical nationality" have something to do with the essence of the monarchy, albeit their son or daughter will be an "english" future queen or king?

Quite so! But let's not get it to stray to completely wild speculation.

Well, we've had foreign queens up until the wife of Edward VII, and Princess Marina was a very popular foreign princess who married into George V's family, so I expect we'd manage. Some people would prefer to see a royal bride for William, which would probably mean a foreigner; I don't know if they'd be so happy to see a foreign bride who wasn't a member of a royal family, but it would depend on the qualities of the individual concerned.

Id like to get into this discussion Futher (if I May) where does everyone the Monarchy in the Future say 50 to 100 years who could be Monarch by then? Pretty interesting I Think anyway getting back to the Original Question yes they could adapt I Think. :)

Royal Fan, why don't you start a thread in the main part of the forum for your question about the future, because this area is for discussion about William and Harry specifically.

BeatrixFan said:
... most of which is quite negative because it shows that Kate doesn't do much.

Do you think that THAT is the question or the dilema that is being discussed within 'THE FIRM' or with the Queen's advisors--the appearance that Kate isn't really doing anything? And, with Kate, how is this sitting with her about all of the specuulation that she's doing this or that or whatever? Anyone read anything really more fact rather than speculation by royal 'sources'? I really like to know what she is really doing...like sitting waiting for the time to make the announcement that she is marrying William.

rchat said:
:lol: Too funny Sister Morphine - and too true!
It reminds of those "Valley Girls". When was that - back in the 80's?
"Like, OMG... for sure!" Some things never change. :rolleyes: ;)
:lol: People have been gossiping about who is dating who, etc. since a very long time, though. It goes way back through the ages. Gossip is a very old, very universal pasttime.

LOSSEAN said:
Laura Parker Bowles is a Catholic so she is a NO-NO. Besides, they are now related as 'step' siblings. Moreover, she is now happily married. So let's not speculate on the impossible.
Kate Middleton seems very stable and happy and is shaping up to be an acceptable and popular choice right now.
As long as she doesn't turn Catholic, eh? Yes, anything but a Catholic. A Muslim, a Satanist or the daughter of a man who associates himself with a genocidal dictator is okay.:sad:

Laviollette said:
As long as she doesn't turn Catholic, eh? Yes, anything but a Catholic. A Muslim, a Satanist or the daughter of a man who associates himself with a genocidal dictator is okay.:sad:
Such is the Act of Settlement, which has been discussed at length elsewhere. In any case I don't believe William's eyes are on the daughter of any former politician, and it's disappointing to see "a Muslim" used in the same negative context as "satanists" and "genocidal dictators".

LOSSEAN said:
Laura Parker Bowles is a Catholic so she is a NO-NO. Besides, they are now related as 'step' siblings.

There are no laws in the UK that stop step-brother/sister marrying, as long as they are over 18 (I believe that is the required age now).:flowers:

CasiraghiTrio said:
I know Laura is not very pretty or photogenic

Personally, I think Laura is very attractive; In fact on her wedding day I thought she resembled Alice Keppel very much.

wymanda said:
Personally, I think Laura is very attractive; In fact on her wedding day I thought she resembled Alice Keppel very much.

I find Laura really pretty as well. Pretty in the English way, just like her Mom and I prefer it to Hollywood beauty any time.
But I somehow I just can't imagine William and Laura together. Mr. Harry Lopes can't as well, I guess! :rolleyes: :lol:

Last edited:
Warren said:
Such is the Act of Settlement, which has been discussed at length elsewhere. In any case I don't believe William's eyes are on the daughter of any former politician, and it's disappointing to see "a Muslim" used in the same negative context as "satanists" and "genocidal dictators".
Please! I wasn't using Muslims in the same context as satanists and genocidal dictators. I was just listing any and everyone who is allowed to marry into the royal family. That includes every single religion but Catholic, all persons no matter their family connections, apparently, and I assume persons with no religion at all and who are, in fact, atheists or whatever.

And of course William is not going to marry his step-sister Laura. My point is that whether it's Kate, Laura, Jessica Craig or whomever, the one crime they can't commit is being a Catholic. That is offensive. That is my point.

And "such is the Act of Settlement, which has been discussed at length elsewhere" upsets me. Of course this subject comes up in all threads regarding the BRF when posters are talking about marriage. The bigotry against Catholics doesn't even seem to bother most posters. They just accept it as normal and right or at least not important. People just throw out "she's Catholic" and therefore not acceptable without any concern about what they are saying or what that means.

Last edited:
Laviollette said:
Please! I wasn't using Muslims in the same context as satanists and genocidal dictators. I was just listing any and everyone who is allowed to marry into the royal family. That includes every single religion but Catholic, all persons no matter their family connections, apparently, and I assume persons with no religion at all and who are, in fact, atheists or whatever.

And of course William is not going to marry his step-sister Laura. My point is that whether it's Kate, Laura, Jessica Craig or whomever, the one crime they can't commit is being a Catholic. That is offensive. That is my point.

And "such is the Act of Settlement, which has been discussed at length elsewhere" upsets me. Of course this subject comes up in all threads regarding the BRF when posters are talking about marriage. The bigotry against Catholics doesn't even seem to bother most posters. They just accept it as normal and right or at least not important. People just throw out "she's Catholic" and therefore not acceptable without any concern about what they are saying or what that means.

i understand what you're saying but i think if you look at it in the context that the CoE was a breakaway from the Catholic church because Henry VIII didn't agree with some of it's doctrine then it's easier to understand why the BRF wouldn't want the heir to throne marrying a catholic. i'm catholic but it doesn't bother me that people just toss that out as a reason for being unacceptable in terms of marriage material. :flowers:

Duchess said:
i understand what you're saying but i think if you look at it in the context that the CoE was a breakaway from the Catholic church because Henry VIII didn't agree with some of it's doctrine then it's easier to understand why the BRF wouldn't want the heir to throne marrying a catholic. i'm catholic but it doesn't bother me that people just toss that out as a reason for being unacceptable in terms of marriage material. :flowers:
I am not Catholic but some of the comments posted on TRF regarding this issue bother me. There's also the fervor with which the BRF, by way of the Act of Settlement, enforces the Catholic rule. Any person who marries a Catholic is out, out, out! Even poor W-A of the Netherlands, not that he needs the British throne, is kicked out of the line of succession for marrying a Catholic even though the children will be raised Protestant and the House of Orange will remain Protestant.

I completely understand the British not wanting a Catholic monarch but it is my understanding that even a conversion by the unfortunate Catholic is still not enough to quiet the Catholic phobia. It just seems to be an extreme position to take.

Laviollette said:
I am not Catholic but some of the comments posted on TRF regarding this issue bother me. There's also the fervor with which the BRF, by way of the Act of Settlement, enforces the Catholic rule. Any person who marries a Catholic is out, out, out! Even poor W-A of the Netherlands, not that he needs the British throne, is kicked out of the line of succession for marrying a Catholic even though the children will be raised Protestant and the House of Orange will remain Protestant.

I completely understand the British not wanting a Catholic monarch but it is my understanding that even a conversion by the unfortunate Catholic is still not enough to quiet the Catholic phobia. It just seems to be an extreme position to take.

it's understandable that it bothers you but you shouldn't let it...afterall these well intentioned people here at the royal forums are strangers and don't mean anything personal by it. :flowers: however one thing that you should keep in mind is that most religions would like children to be raised in their religion (i.e. children of catholics as catholic, children of protestants as protestant, etc) which is understandable but unfortunately isn't realistic in today's world. anyway just to get back on track, william future wife will be wonderful no matter what religion she practices.

Duchess said:
it's understandable that it bothers you but you shouldn't let it...afterall these well intentioned people here at the royal forums are strangers and don't mean anything personal by it. :flowers: however one thing that you should keep in mind is that most religions would like children to be raised in their religion (i.e. children of catholics as catholic, children of protestants as protestant, etc) which is understandable but unfortunately isn't realistic in today's world. anyway just to get back on track, william future wife will be wonderful no matter what religion she practices.

Actually I don't think that it is unrealistic in today's world, since many cultures are based around their religion. And, with that said I prefer my religion and it's culture as it makes up for much of my social, work, ethic and moral life. How one philosophizes about the world and people is often a product of parental and religious grounding. Henceforth, my own comments and opinions regarding the drinking and partying princes' and how other's perceive them and the BRF. If the Catholic church was allowed to continue welding it's power during the early days of Britain, life, culture and rule would have been much different and perhaps a little more like Italy and other countries where the Catholic church was allowed into government and rule of the people.

Personally and IMHO, the Catholic, Jewish and Islamic religious powers and influence should not be given any inroads into the BRF or into what is left of British rule, contrary to what Charlie thinks of protecting all religions because of the sludge that has crept into the country illegally and literally changing the face of the Englishman/woman and their customs & cultures. I loved the Britannica of old and it saddens me to see what has happened to it today because of colonialism and having to welcome 3rd world immigrants into it today because of guilt. Sorry, didn't mean to get too political or strong for words, but the cans of worms were let out.:ermm:

Laviollette said:
I am not Catholic but some of the comments posted on TRF regarding this issue bother me.

Most families would have the same problem. If they are protestant, they would not wish their child to marry a catholic, If they are catholic, they would not want their child to marry a jew, a jew wouldn't want their child to marry a muslim etc, etc.

William could one day be head of the church of England, a non catholic, non jewish, non muslim, non pagan religion, it is therefore reasonable to prefer him to marry someone of his own faith.

Laviollette said:

I see it completely vice versa. The law is there and so it has to be obeyed but if the Catholic girl in question would convert, all would be great. I even think that if William wanted to marry a Catholic who doesn't want to convert, today parliament would change the Act of Settlement or William could take legal steps against this law. And I don't believe for a moment that people would bother about a change of the Act of Settlement as long as William loves the girl, she loves him and she is considered suitable besides being Catholic.

Jo of Palatine said:
I see it completely vice versa. The law is there and so it has to be obeyed but if the Catholic girl in question would convert, all would be great. I even think that if William wanted to marry a Catholic who doesn't want to convert, today parliament would change the Act of Settlement or William could take legal steps against this law. And I don't believe for a moment that people would bother about a change of the Act of Settlement as long as William loves the girl, she loves him and she is considered suitable besides being Catholic.

I agree with you Jo of Palatine. I think that there is a huge posibility that if William were to fall in love with a Catholic then the rules would be changed. As long as the kids are brought up in the CofE then what's the fuss? They're all Christians.
I'll be happy as long as he marries someone he truly loves :wub: and returns the sentiment. A long and happy marriage will be a great stabilising force for the British Monarchy.

Jo of Palatine said:
And I don't believe for a moment that people would bother about a change of the Act of Settlement as long as William loves the girl, she loves him and she is considered suitable besides being Catholic.

I think you underestimate the protestants, you need look no further than the uproar because Charles wants to be a defender of faiths.

Charles loved Camilla and it took them over 30 years to be allowed to marry, added to which, who is going to be allowed to judge if the girl is suitable? :rolleyes:

Skydragon said:
I think you underestimate the protestants, you need look no further than the uproar because Charles wants to be a defender of faiths.

Charles loved Camilla and it took them over 30 years to be allowed to marry, added to which, who is going to be allowed to judge if the girl is suitable? :rolleyes:

Hm... even we staunch Camilla-supporters shouldn't forget that for some of these thirty years Charles was legally married to somebody else...:lol:. And somehow I don't think that a marriage to a Catholic would matter as much to the Church of England as 1) a wedding with a divorcee or 2) the church-internal change of the title of their official head. There's one thing to go out of their boundaries by marrying a girl with another belief and to try to change the things while staying within - which is what Charles has done. IMHO.

Skydragon said:
who is going to be allowed to judge if the girl is suitable? :rolleyes:

Anybody? :ROFLMAO: But maybe he choses a beautiful, virginal Royal princess out of a catholic house? There should still be some Bavarian or Austrian teen princesses around. Or maybe Bourbon-Parma or Bourbon-Something else...

The way this country is going, I wouldn't be at all suprised if we ended up with "Princess Factor" with the panel consisting of Brian Sewell, Stephen Fry and the Duchess of Devonshire.

Most families would have the same problem. If they are protestant, they would not wish their child to marry a catholic, If they are catholic, they would not want their child to marry a jew, a jew wouldn't want their child to marry a muslim etc, etc.

William could one day be head of the church of England, a non catholic, non jewish, non muslim, non pagan religion, it is therefore reasonable to prefer him to marry someone of his own faith.

It may be reasonable to prefer it, but there's a large space between "prefer that he marry a Protestant" and "gets kicked out of the line of succession if he marries a Catholic." I think if there's that much concern about upholding the CofE as the established religion, there should be a prohibition on all other religions for the wife of the heir, not just Catholicism. That single prohibition is a holdover from a time when it was relevant, but now it's simply prejudice.

Last edited:
Or laziness. I hate to compare it to the succession issue in Japan and Spain (and yes in England too), but I agree with another poster who indicated that they (the government) would deal with it if the situation arises. Right now it appears that everyone is okay with the status quo because they have no need to change it. As an American, I am might be out of the loop, and forgive me if I am moving in an direction that is against Forum rules, but what does the general British public think about it. Do they see the need to remove the "ban."

Well, it's one of these cases where it's sort of not on people's radar as long as it isn't an immediate issue. But we saw with the issue of the Queen paying taxes that it looks bad when major changes are made apparently in response to an immediate specific need.

I think it would be a complicated thing to do because the Commonwealth countries with the Queen as head of state would also have to bring their succession laws into line; however, sooner or later this is going to rear its head, and it'll have to be dealt with.

Elspeth said:
Well, it's one of these cases where it's sort of not on people's radar as long as it isn't an immediate issue. But we saw with the issue of the Queen paying taxes that it looks bad when major changes are made apparently in response to an immediate specific need.

I think it would be a complicated thing to do because the Commonwealth countries with the Queen as head of state would also have to bring their succession laws into line; however, sooner or later this is going to rear its head, and it'll have to be dealt with.

True...and I don't know the percentages of English Protestants vs English Catholics. Althougth...who says she must be English/British:flowers:

But another poster made a valid point that is applicable to William as it is to us....most likely he is going to marry someone who is in his sphere of influence (whether that is his social circle, job, church group, etc.). So if William is around alot of Protestants chances are he will marry someone of the same faith. And I do recognize that his step brother and sister are Catholic as are the Van Custem's.

I know some posters would love William to marry a Princess of Royal blood but despite the fact that he isn't around them. (geographically and age wise).....they are a small number aren't they? We have some German Princess, Madeline of Sweden, Theodora of Greece and thats about it.

Last edited:
As Elspeth says, most don't think about it and if they do they are not concerned. The ones that do think about it are vehement that he should marry a protestant (if they are protestant) and for a change in the law (if they are catholic).

The only reason I said that 'most families' can have the same problem is that even in this day and age, clauses can be written into trust funds or people are 'cut out' of wills based solely on the religion of their prospective or actual partner.

Zonk said:
We have some German Princess, Madeline of Sweden, Theodora of Greece and thats about it.

We have lots and lots of German princesses.... But due to the changes in German family and name law you can never be quite sure if it is a "real" princess by blood or does only have the right to the name. But when it comes to William, this is not important as the German princesses he would be introduced to are the "real" stuff.... ;) What about Natalie of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg, the niece of queen Margarete?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom