Preferred Wives For William and Harry

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sister Morphine said:
To be fair, the only people that have to "accept" Kate are his family and Parliament, I believe. Doesn't he need their permission to marry, or have I got that wrong?

I think he needs the Queen's permission no matter what, and Parliament's permission if he marries before he turns 25? Is that the rule?

Chiyo said:
I think he needs the Queen's permission no matter what, and Parliament's permission if he marries before he turns 25? Is that the rule?

Yeah, I'm not sure. I know he needs the Queen's permission, as all members of the RF must get permission to marry from her. I'm hoping someone else here who knows all the rules and whatnots can clue me in.

Monarch's permission at any age is sufficient. After age 25, if the monarch hasn't given permission, he can petition parliament; if no denial comes from parliament after a year, he can marry.

I thought he only needs the Queen's permission until he turns 25. After that, he can do what he wants. That's why although I strongly believe Kate & Will already are engaged in their minds, the rest of us won't know about it officially until next year at the earliest. In line with the level-headed young people I believe them to be, I strongly suspect they'll string us all along until his post-Sandhurst military commitment is fulfilled. That's approx. another 3 years. Plenty of time for Kate and her family to get used to handling the onslaught...for the rest of her life.:wacko:

And Happy Labor Day to the rest of my U.S. royalty lovers! :)

Last edited:
To be fair, the only people that have to "accept" Kate are his family and Parliament, I believe.

If William's subjects don't accept his wife, it hardly looks bright for William V's reign does it?

Luv2Cruise said:
I thought he only needs the Queen's permission until he turns 25. After that, he can do what he wants.

The only effect the "until 25" thing has is that if the monarch does not give permission when asked, there is recourse to to parliament after age 25.

Luv2Cruise said:
Kate is a lovely young woman and if she marries William she will make a fine royal. The fact that people have such strong con opinions toward her based only on pictures, supposition, and vicious internet lies is mind boggling. I guess Posh Spice would be more suitable as William's wife because she's certainly not "broccoli" and has had a job.:rolleyes:

Well said, Luv2Cruise. My only concern about Kate is, she might not cope with the pressure - as happenned with Diana and Sarah, hence I feel another royal would be a suitable wife for William. Other than that, she is an 'English Rose'.
I am intrigued tho' with the animosity displayed against Kate by such forum members as BeatrixFan. They seem to be Camilla fans and I would have thought that Kate would just fit the Camilla-mould i.e. the prince's first love, his love-interest of many years therefore they deserve to be together. I am baffled - how come it is deemed that Camilla is more colourful than Kate? Maybe it is to do with the culture in Britain?

BeatrixFan said:
If William's subjects don't accept his wife, it hardly looks bright for William V's reign does it?
They don't like Camilla and the beat goes on. Ditto for her father-in-law. Not the most endearing consort, but his wife, the Queen is beloved, no??? It's all moot anyway, because if I were a betting person I'd bet that IF William does marry Kate she'll make a great Queen consort. So far she has carried herself with such self-assured confidence for someone so young and not used to the press attention and public scrutiny.

Kate and Camilla have nothing to do with one another so I don't buy it that Camilla fans are all anti-Kate. This is what I object to;

Other than that, she is an 'English Rose'.

No she isn't. She's a sulky teenage girl. Princess Margaret was an English Rose and it took her years to become that beloved. The modern way seems to paint these people as legends before they've achieved anything - what has Kate achieved? This is the thing, whether Kate is a good wife or not is irrelevant - she will have to become a Queen Consort and I don't see her as possible Queen material. All we know is that she has a degree of some kind but what does she do? What are her interests? Or is she just an idle polo-spectator? Her effect on William isn't exactly great. When he should be working here in Britain for a children's charity or sitting down with his grandmother and discussing the problems in Britain, he's in Ibiza with Kate, at a polo match with Kate, at a club with Kate - he makes himself look like a little puppy dog. The media are painting Kate to be this spectacular girl who is beautiful and wonderful and "an English Rose". Well no, she isn't. At the moment, she's a nothing and until she can prove that she's capable of pleasing the British people, then she won't be accepted.

LOSSEAN said:
I am baffled - how come it is deemed that Camilla is more colourful than Kate? Maybe it is to do with the culture in Britain?
Lossean, caste is alive and well. As this foreigner (an American) sees it, I think Camilla's family is closer to William's set than Kate-- a...GASP... "commoner"!!!:rolleyes: So Camilla could have been a streetwalker but because of her background and her wealth she will be more accepted than Kate ever will be.

I also think, not at this site, but at other British royal sites especially where Prince William is Topic A, there are a ton of teenaged girls who would hate Kate Middleton even if she were to take a vow of poverty and roam the world healing the sick and blind. Ordinary girl Kate Middleton took away their pinup Prince and for that she will never be forgiven.:lol:

BeatrixFan said:
Kate and Camilla have nothing to do with one another so I don't buy it that Camilla fans are all anti-Kate. This is what I object to;

Other than that, she is an 'English Rose'.

No she isn't. She's a sulky teenage girl. Princess Margaret was an English Rose and it took her years to become that beloved. The modern way seems to paint these people as legends before they've achieved anything - what has Kate achieved? This is the thing, whether Kate is a good wife or not is irrelevant - she will have to become a Queen Consort and I don't see her as possible Queen material. All we know is that she has a degree of some kind but what does she do? What are her interests? Or is she just an idle polo-spectator? Her effect on William isn't exactly great. When he should be working here in Britain for a children's charity or sitting down with his grandmother and discussing the problems in Britain, he's in Ibiza with Kate, at a polo match with Kate, at a club with Kate - he makes himself look like a little puppy dog. The media are painting Kate to be this spectacular girl who is beautiful and wonderful and "an English Rose". Well no, she isn't. At the moment, she's a nothing and until she can prove that she's capable of pleasing the British people, then she won't be accepted.

IMO that is a little unfair. Yes, she does have to please the British public and work for the country. But she is still in her mid twenties..why are we writing her off as worthless?! I hate to make comparisons as I feel that most of the time they are totally unfair, as they are more likely apples to oranges comparisons. But let's look at the most recent English brides shall we: Take Camilla, other thanher work with osteoporosis..she too had never worked. And while I realize that she did indeed raise a family for all intents and purposes..she lived a life like Kate. Diana....she worked as nursey school teacher. Again, not to degrade her position. Sophie...public relations and we know how that worked out. Sarah...I believe she had a job..but I can't recall exactly what she did. My point is this...they don't offer classes at uni to be a Princess...you just have to jump in and work it. So its unfair that she isn't Queen material. Unfortunately, William (like those before him) is going to have go on blind faith and his instincts and hope he hasn't gotten it wrong.

I do agree that sometimes people are given a title "English Rose, King of Pop, etc." without actually doing anything to earn it. Thats an example of the times, I am afraid. Instant gratification.

She's in her mid 20s. She should at least have a personality or something that sets her apart. But she's done nothing. And ok, maybe she hasn't had time to do anything. But if she hasn't done anything, why are people saying, "She'll be a great Queen Consort" and "She's an English Rose" when she's given no indication that she'll be a good human being let alone Queen Consort.

BeatrixFan said:
At the moment, she's a nothing and until she can prove that she's capable of pleasing the British people, then she won't be accepted.
She's not the one howling about a the unsuitability of a stranger on a message board on a Sunday evening. I see her living her life with the man she loves and who adores her. And I think she's pleasing to Prince William, which is why we continue to see pictures of her with him -- year after year after year.:)

Love? What can they possibly know of love at their age?

year after year after year

A year and a bit. If that. Let's not make it Nicholas and Alexandra just yet.

BeatrixFan said:
But if she hasn't done anything, why are people saying, "She'll be a great Queen Consort" and "She's an English Rose" when she's given no indication that she'll be a good human being let alone Queen Consort.
Nor has she given any indication that she will be a bad one. And as an upbeat and fair minded person, the jury is out on Kate until she does something terrible to deserve the disdain she receives from some quarters -- like say break up a marriage by sleeping with a married man, disparaging your in-laws to a reporter disguised as a sheik, get caught having her toes sucked by her playboy boyfriend. Until she does something like that, I'll reserve my judgment. I think that's only fair and decent.

BeatrixFan said:
She's in her mid 20s. She should at least have a personality or something that sets her apart. But she's done nothing. And ok, maybe she hasn't had time to do anything. But if she hasn't done anything, why are people saying, "She'll be a great Queen Consort" and "She's an English Rose" when she's given no indication that she'll be a good human being let alone Queen Consort.

Not to fight for Kate, because honestly, I don't find her particular exciting either. But how do you know she hasn't a personality....have you actually spoken to her. And I am not being smart...because based on some of your posts I believe you are more in the know than I..but I hardly think that pictures of her posted on magazines, tabloids, and like can show anyone's personality.

In reference to being a great Consort...well...I would imagine that not everyone speaks for everyone else. And yes, you are correct that we (speaking in the general sense) are making assumptions based upon nothing. We don't know if she will be a great Consort or even a great human being.....has anyone ever heard the girl speak?

And we shouldn't knock them being in love. Yes..it could be over next week...but William could be like his father and grandfather. They fell and for all intents and purposes stayed in love with their "first loves" while fairly young. And while I agree with the last part of Luv2Cruise's post (about the past Windsor wives..who I like despite their flaws)...would it be so bad to have a boring King and Queen....honestly I think Harry will provide enough excitement to go around.

Nor has she given any indication that she will be a bad one.

No she hasn't. But you seem to be suggesting that she'll be a great Queen Consort when in fact, at the moment, she's just a grainy photograph in a tabloid, sulky expression in place, drippy boyfriend behind her.

Zonk, you make an interesting point. I don't know that she hasn't got a personality. But most people give out something. A vibe. You can see what sort of person they are - but with Kate, there's nothing. There isn't any flair or spark, nor a smile very often and to me, that just shows that she's a very boring person. Now I can only make my decision based on what I see. And when I see her, she doesn't appear as an individual or anyone worth talking about or looking at. She isn't particularly attractive, she's sulky and her only claim to fame is that she's dating Prince William, who is pretty dull himself. Not good is it?

Zonk1189 said:
And while I agree with the last part of Luv2Cruise's post (about the past Windsor wives..who I like despite their flaws)...would it be so bad to have a boring King and Queen....honestly I think Harry will provide enough excitement to go around.
Zonk, I like them BECAUSE of their flaws -- including the pistol Camilla! But for the sake of the Queen, who I'm sure prefers someone of Kate's apparent demeanor and conduct, boring is ok too. William seems to be a nice kid, if Kate Middleton makes him happy, it's all good.;)

But it isn't. Don't you see that whether William likes or not is totally beside the point? It's whether we, the future subjects of King William, like her or not. Because if we don't like her, she'll be rejected and the monarchy's popularity will go down and it then get's into deep water which in this day and age, it can't afford to do. The next 50 years are vital to the monarchy. If it's going to fall, it'll be within that time frame. We need a solid team that the British people have affection for. If they don't feel affection for Kate, we don't have that team.

BeatrixFan....I would agree that they are not giving off "exciting" vibes. And yes, you rarely see Kate smile...that's why she doesn't exactly excite me as well. Again IMO based upon the last "super exciting" person that was in the Royal family (Diana..who I adore)..it might not be so bad to have one someone not exciting again. Whoever William marries (cause I don't think Kate is the one) they will be EVERYWHERE and thats whether they have a personality or not.

And this is for those who live in England..because I obviously can't get the vibe here in the States. BeatrixFan has a valid point that the British subjects have to support Kate. Whats the word over there? Is Kate just accepted as the girlfriend or do people see her as Princess material. And I am not talking about the tabloids...cause sometimes they really don't feel the pulse of a nation.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And I think William beholds Kate as "hot." I personally think that as a package she's attractive. She's tall, slim, dark, and not a trophy wife. She's close to her family, seems well grounded, I like what I see so far. And My hunch is that she's good, middle-class, COMMONER, stock.:)

Oh I see. She's the one because she's common? It's a political thing?

BeatrixFan said:
But it isn't. Don't you see that whether William likes or not is totally beside the point?
No, I don't. Because the public doesn't have to sleep with her. William does.

I think Camilla's "poll numbers" are probably lower than Dick Cheney's, yet her mother-in-law's and her husband's crowns are still firmly on their head.

BeatrixFan said:

There's a difference in my mind, between just not caring for her and thinking she's ill-equipped for the job. I'm sure there will be people who will not care for the choice of wife he makes, whether it be Kate or someone else. However if she shows herself capable of doing the job, is personable and friendly and seems to genuinely care about him and love him, whether the people like her after that is their own problem.

There's disliking someone because they are incapable of doing the task and disliking someone for spite or superficial reasons. At this stage, people seem to be disliking Kate for superficial reasons. I haven't read anything about her being nasty, mean-spirited, bigoted/racist, or in any other way ill-tempered. So far, the only drawbacks against her that I've read here is that she's boring.

If the worst thing someone can call you in your life is boring, that's not a bad thing.

BeatrixFan said:
Oh I see. She's the one because she's common? It's a political thing?
No, she's the one because William says she is. "Simple as that.":)

Because the public doesn't have to sleep with her. William does.

They'll be sleeping together in-exile if they're unpopular.

There's disliking someone because they are incapable of doing the task and disliking someone for spite or superficial reasons. At this stage, people seem to be disliking Kate for superficial reasons.
But all we have is superficial material. We only see what she wants us to see at this stage. And what we see is what we form our early judgement on. And at the moment, she appears boring. And if she's teamed with William, who is boring, it becomes a very dull pairing and bad times linger round the corner.

BeatrixFan said:
Love? What can they possibly know of love at their age?

I'm sorry, but this is a very ignorant statement.

My parents married at 22 [younger than William and Kate are now] and they were very much in love then and they still are, 34 years later. Who are you to say that because they are young, they can't know love or can't experience love? I'm 24 and deeply in love with someone, and I don't care if my age makes you think that it's impossible....I know it's not.

Love is an emotion, it's a feeling, it's an experience, and at the age of 24, I can't see why someone can't feel that way about another human being. Love is not reserved for people over 30.

No, she's the one because William says she is. "Simple as that."

It isn't as simple as that. WE have to accept her. WE the British people. She isn't going to be a normal house wife. She's going to be a Queen. She's going to represent us. And that's a huge role to take and she needs our acceptance to perform that role.

BeatrixFan said:
They'll be sleeping together in-exile if they're unpopular.
They're not going anywhere. They'll be King and Queen and the good people of Great Britain will line the streets to see them marry and to see William's coronation. Now breathe, it'll be ok.:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom