Preferred Wives For William and Harry

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BeatrixFan said:
Definately. Of course, when she came on the TV I'd have to alter to colours to make her less orange but we have plenty of orange celebs she'd get on with. She's got style, the looks, the breeding. Yes. We want her.

Well, we don't, in particular (as long as we're using the royal "we," of course). I mean, it's not as though William actually knows her or anything.

I was using the Royal we. I am Queen after all.

felicia said:
Yes, I feel exactly the same way. And not only does she have royal lineage, but all four of her grandparents were Kings and Queens. She really has the most impeccable royal blood of any contender. She is pretty and nice and I really want William and Theodora to marry. I don't want William to be the first British king to produce a legitiate recognised heir with a woman born with absolutely no title or royal blood. I think that would be very sad. Royal blood and genealogy are still important to some people, especially me! If William and Theodora fail to marry then I would like William to marry Lady Gabriella Windsor. And no they are not too closely related, they only have one set of great-great grandparents in common, actually they are great grandparents to Gabriella - I am refering to George V and Queen Mary of course.
Felicia, I understand your point. As an American I wasn't thinking about the fact that Kate is a commoner, I was just thinking about the fact that William loves her, but the truth is she isn't titled or anything, and that probably does make her unsuitable for the position of the future queen.
BeatrixFan said:
Theodora, Gabriella, Madeleine - they're all good matches. Kate and William are still together TonyaR and I'm sure Kate is lovely but I just dont see her as a future member of the BRF.

Okay guys, I the light has clicked on and I understand it now !!;) :D

BeatrixFan said:
I was using the Royal we. I am Queen after all.

See, I could have sworn you were her daughter in law. Want me to give your avatar an upgrade?:D

Damn. You blew my cover. I told Charlie it wouldn't work. One day though...one day....

Beatrixfan..I must have missed your Kate posts...but why do you think she is not a good fit? Is it because she doesnt have an aristocratic background?

do u think he can't marry a non aristocratic girl? i think it'd not be a big deal if he does, 'cause most of the princes over europe are doing it ... the thing is if the british people would allow it; not even thinking if he does what willem alexander of the netherlands or rainier of monaco did!

Well, for one thing, Kate always seems to be sulky and frowning. She was a bit of a wimp over the whole press thing and I just think, if you don't like it now, then it aint gonna get any better darling. I don't like the fact that she's not from an aristocratic background at all. I want a bit of class and breeding in my RF. I find Kate boring and plasticky and IMO William is very boring and plasticky. I just see them as a bland couple with no personality and that can't be a good thing. Now Madeleine has all the things we want (apart from the tan). He has so many Princesses to choose from, and yes you're going to give me the love stuff but I'm afraid love doesn't come into IMO. Yes it's nice but the future of the monarchy hinges on that boy and if he doesn't get the right gal, then it's all going to turn sour. Maybe I'm being unfair.

Yes it's nice but the future of the monarchy hinges on that boy and if he doesn't get the right gal, then it's all going to turn sour. Maybe I'm being unfair.

No, you're being hard headed and realistic and practical. That is how royal marriages have to be looked at if they are going to be successful.

I think that both Tzu An and BeatrixFan make good points, realistic and practical are the best words. On the other hand, happiness is important and I think Wills is happy with Kate. I believe they will marry and she will get used to the press, if she loves him she will get used to anything. She's no Charlotte Casiraghi (that's for sure!!!), but she seems to be quite compatible with Wills. I wish them the best!

Ani

I would also agree that Tzu An and BeatrixFan have good points...but I have to wonder...after the last couple of marriages (Charles/Diana/Camilla, Sarah/Andrew, Anne/Mark/Tim heck even Edward/Sophie)...do you really need excitement. Maybe a predictable, non showy couple would bring stability to the monarchy. Its worked in the past (George/Elizabeth)!

And that Madeline pairing is definitely not going to happen. She couldn't even hang in London for a couple of months! The press was too much for her.

You make a good point Zonk but although a George/Elizabeth team worked for us before, we're not in the 1940s sadly and the attitude towards monarchy has changed so much. I dont think people would stomach a predictable, non showy couple. We don't want constant fireworks but we want a little punch and William and Kate just don't seem to have that.

Well, if Harry marries Chelsy, that might provide the missing fireworks.

I think that, at the end of the day, we have to say that there is a lot of diversity of people in England right now, so it'll not be a bad thing if William marries a non-aristocratic working girl, maybe foreign. If this happens, she'd really, i mean really representing the reality of the united kingdom, 'cause there are not only princes and aristocratic people in the country.

Don't get me started on Chelsy. I mean - Chelsy. I dread to think of a Royal Family with Princess Pushy replaced by Princess Chavvy. Priscilla, I see your point but we don't want the BRF to represent the reality of the United Kingdom. We want them to be better than us, above us, removed from us. Thats why we love em. Because they are so different to us.

I disagree with BeatrixFan about Kate on most points but I agree with you about Chelsy on some. We'll just have to wait & see on all of this. :D

On the other hand, happiness is important and I think Wills is happy with Kate.

Well happiness is important, but so is the institution.

Don't get me started on Chelsy. I mean - Chelsy. I dread to think of a Royal Family with Princess Pushy replaced by Princess Chavvy.

*shudder* Gross. That is the last thing Britain needs. Why don't they marry someone from the commonwealth? Strengthen ties with a country with whom relations are floundering.

I am sure Chelsy is a nice girl..and I know this thread isn't about her....but I hope Harry doesn't marry her.

I wish for Wiliam to marry someone who loves him for himself, understands his position and the role she will play along his side. Someone with aristocratic background would work best...yes, it didn't work his mother but there were a lot of other issues that came into play with that one. But someone who is familiar with the workings of British society would fit best.

BeatrixFan said:
Don't get me started on Chelsy. I mean - Chelsy. I dread to think of a Royal Family with Princess Pushy replaced by Princess Chavvy. Priscilla, I see your point but we don't want the BRF to represent the reality of the United Kingdom. We want them to be better than us, above us, removed from us. Thats why we love em. Because they are so different to us.
Beatrix, you are exactly right. I am sooo tired of folks whining that Kate is not fit to be William's wife because she is too ________(fill in the blank);The sole problem with Kate is that she just isn't a blueblood. The public has little interest in her because she is just like the rest of us. If William marries her, the monarchy's days will, without a doubt, be limited IMO.

Last edited:
Magpie8907 said:
Beatrix, you are exactly right. I am sooo tired of folks whining that Kate is not fit to be William's wife because she is too ________(fill in the blank);The sole problem with Kate is that she just isn't a blueblood. The public has little interest in her because she is just like the rest of us. If William marries her, the monarchy's days will, without a doubt, be limited IMO.

Yes I agree. The monarchy of Britain depends on royal blood to support all its pomp and splendour and jewels and palaces etc. Kate is just not good enough. There is no royal blood and no title and no illustrious ancestors to speak of. I mean even Sarah Ferguson is descended from William the Conqueror (and Anne Boleyn's sister Mary I discovered) and Sophie Wessex is descended from Edward III. But Kate is just so ordinary and inapropriate. I think her face is not very pleasing at all. I am severely disappointed at the taste that William and Harry have exibited in women so far. Chelsly I think would never ever be allowed to marry Harry. She is just trashy in my opinion, and nobody has any respect for her. I mean ''Princess Chelsy" just sounds ridiculous.

felicia said:
I am severely disappointed at the taste that William and Harry have exibited in women so far. Chelsly I think would never ever be allowed to marry Harry. She is just trashy in my opinion, and nobody has any respect for her. I mean ''Princess Chelsy" just sounds ridiculous.

I somewhat agree with you. From the outside, I also think Chelsy is trashy. However, she appears more at ease with herself and to me belongs in the Grimaldi crowd, such as with Princess Stephanie and her exploits. Kate, on the other hand, does know to keep quiet about her relationship, life and William's life (Chelsy also seems tightlipped about her fling with Harry). I think she is counting on marrying the young lad and make it to Queenship. If that is the case with Kate, her silence and solitude during the days and nights without William has introduced her to the prison life of a royal bride.:)

HRH Kimetha said:
I somewhat agree with you. From the outside, I also think Chelsy is trashy. However, she appears more at ease with herself and to me belongs in the Grimaldi crowd, such as with Princess Stephanie and her exploits. Kate, on the other hand, does know to keep quiet about her relationship, life and William's life (Chelsy also seems tightlipped about her fling with Harry). I think she is counting on marrying the young lad and make it to Queenship. If that is the case with Kate, her silence and solitude during the days and nights without William has introduced her to the prison life of a royal bride.:)

Oh it isn't a prison life! One just has to know how to handle it and be emotionally stable. Chelsy doesn't belong anywhere near any royals in my opinion. Both Chelsy and Kate know that if they talked to the press, they would be dumped, so that is why they are being ''tight-lipped''. In a way perhaps Chelsy is more refreshing than Kate. Because she is probably not counting on being a royal bride. Something tells me Kate is very ambitious to take it all the way.

felicia said:
Kate is just not good enough. There is no royal blood and no title and no illustrious ancestors to speak of.

It is very sad, IMHO, that after all the blood people shed to make mankind realize that we are all equals, that there are human rights any human is entitled to, there are still people believing that somebody is "not good enough" because of his/her ancestors.

Kate has had a good education at a top boarding school, she sucessfully went to university so is now an acknowledged academic, there are no scandals attached to her name and she didn't commit any crime - and still she is not good enough for the man who obviously liked her enough to spent time with her?

I really like the concept of monarchy, mainly because I'm interested in how the Royals cope with such a situation, but also because I see the good such an institution can do for the "subjects" - using the public interest in them to generate understanding, support and help for the not so fortunate. It's a modern approach to monarchy which is a historic system that has no longer the necessity behind it it had in the past. In former times princesses were selected for their family connections - not really because of their "blood" but because of the connections by blood they had. If you read eg about the Hannover/UK relations to Prussia in the 1700s/1800s and how much support and understanding came about because the two Royal houses were closely related and thus could communicate in private besides the official channels - communication being the key to understanding and fighting deadly misunderstandings - then you understand why the Northern Royal Families intermarried as well as the Southerns but hardly any Italian or Spanish princess made it to the throne of Russia - there was no need for a intermarriage between these Royal houses.

Today, this need does not exist anymore (while WWI showed that it didn't work out anyway as wished for in more modern times). So why should a girl need Royal ancestors in order to show compassion to sufferers while opeining a new wing in a hospital? Why should she be of blue blood when it comes to tell youngsters that education is something to work for? I'd say it's enough that she has had a good and sucessful education to be believable.

Really, it's what people are that counts, not what their ancestors were.

But with the modern approach should come a different understanding in regards to the humans who are born into the "Royal" class and for those who are chose through a legal marriage to become one of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jo of Palatine, you have some good points. I wouldn't dismiss what you are saying. But my mindset and attitude and viewpoints on all these things are obviously far more suited to the 19th century than they are to the 21st century. So I am bound to provoke disagreements when I offer my opinions, because I have done a lot of research into how the royal families have married each other and how they are all related and I would like that to continue. I would say that Kate is not good enough to marry a future King, but I would not say she is not good enough to do anything else. It is true that it is good she has had a university education. Perhaps I should say that I would LIKE William to make a DYNASTIC marriage, but of course only if he wanted to. Jo I know that we are all equals and that there are human rights we are all entitled to. There is no reason for you to be saddened. I just have a romantic and old-fashioned viewpoint on royalty, which used to be the normal viewpoint.

felicia said:
... I think her face is not very pleasing at all...
Straight out of Jane Austen! :D

Warren said:
Straight out of Jane Austen! :D

Yes that's true. I'm so 19th century it's amazing. Honestly I would feel more at home a couple of centuries ago in so many ways. Hopefully time travel will be invented in my lifetime. Probably not. :p

Everyone has valid points...but I think we have a couple of success stories of "commoners" marrying into royal family with some success. Mette Marit, Letizia, Mary are just some most recent names that come to mind.

In regards to the comments that it would be nice if royals married royals...well...as the English learned at the turn of the last century. Sometimes you need new blood to shake things up. At that time..everyone was pretty much related to each other in some way and at that point "dynastic alliances" were no longer needed.

From my view point, William has a good head on his shoulders. Yes, this can be construed as boring BeatrixFan :) But after the childhood he had..this is how he feels he needs to act in public. He has learned from his parents marriage and will not be rushed into anything. He will marry for love and will marry someone who has a clear understanding of what marrying him would entail. I personally don't see him marrying for years and not Kate.

Yes at a particular time new blood was needed. Even Queen Victoria admitted that. Now with completely unrelated new blood such as the Queen Mother's and Diana's coming into the family, the time is again well and truly ripe for a dynastic marriage that William should make - to Princess Theodora of Greece I say.

Maybe he'll marry one of his Mountbatten cousins and make the late Earl proud.

Elspeth said:
Maybe he'll marry one of his Mountbatten cousins and make the late Earl proud.

Well..apparently being from an aristocratic background will not satisfy some :) Even though much of the aristocracy is descended from royalty. I have always liked Lady Rosannah Innes Kerr...at least her name....I am sure I am mispelling her first name...she was a bridesmaid at Andrew and Sarah's wedding.

But a Mountbatten cousin would be interesting..also descended from Queen Victoria....are there any his age?

But if William is to marry royalty...shouldn't he at least be in the same circles with them? Going to weddings, baptisms, etc. People usually marry people in their circle. He isn't going to meet Madeline just walking down a London street :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom