Possible Scottish Independence and the Monarchy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kenneth Macdonald

BBC Scotland Special Correspondent
'Subdued'

The atmosphere at this #indyref #yes party is now subdued to say the least. They'd expected more from Clacks and W Isles

Reading the live feed of the Guardian - youths getting a little rowdy at 3:30 am in Glasgow (who knew?), Scots still drinking in pubs at this hour (dear Lord!), and claims of fraudulent county (just like home!)

Well, I'm off to bed. I'm not sure who will be sorrier tomorrow, Salmond or the guys still drinking....:ermm:

DUNDEE RESULT

Posted at 03:55
"Yes" wins by 53,620 to 39,880.
That is "Yes" 57% "No" 43%
Total ballot: 93,592. Turnout 78.8%

RENFREWSHIRE RESULT

Posted at 03:55
"No" wins by 62,067 votes to 55,466. That's 53% for "No" and 47% for "Yes".
Total votes cast were 117,612 - a turnout of 87.3%.

Scottish independence referendum - Live - BBC News

After 7 results 50.9 - No; 49.1 Yes - Too close to call

WEST DUNBARTONSHIRE RESULT

Posted at 04:10
"Yes" wins by 33,720 votes to 28,776. That is 54% for "Yes" and 46% for "No".
Total votes cast were 62,532, a 87.9% turnout.

MIDLOTHIAN RESULT

Posted at 04:13
"No" wins by 33,972 to 26,370. That's 56% for "No" and 44% for "Yes".
Total votes cast was 60,395. Turnout 86.7%.

Scottish independence referendum - Live - BBC News

I just have to say how deeply impressed I am by the nearly 90% voter turnout. Incredible! On C-SPAN, it looks like 1/3 of the results are in, with 53% saying No.

I'm amazed CSPAN has provided us the coverage for this long.

21 Councils have reported and the vote stands at 55% No and 45% yes. Looks like only 3 have been in favor of independence. They're saying Glasgow should be in soon.

Well, after Glasgow it seems that the UK of GB and NI will survive, but what changes will we see?

It think that we'll be reading about the factors involved in this referendum, and its consequences, for some time. Political analysts will have a lovely time with it all. From listening to the commentary on the BBC coverage, it seems that there have been a number of factors involved, and some divisions of opinion that weren't foreseen. The fact foreigners living in Scotland have had a vote seems to have made a difference in some areas, and party-political influence also seems to have been significant.

It will be interesting to see what the response of Westminster is to the obvious dissatisfaction of the large percentage who voted Yes. It will also be interesting to see whether this high voter turnout continues into the next election.

Why such a low turnout in Glasgow?

Fascinating stuff!

Why is BBC saying No needs 517,554 to win? It seems since no is carrying at 54% that's game, set and match.

I'm amazed CSPAN has provided us the coverage for this long.
So am I, especially since it's only 9:00 on the West Coast of the US. I think I may be able to hear the end result by midnight local time.

Last edited:
Why is BBC saying No needs 517,554 to win? It seems since no is carrying at 54% that's game, set and match.

BBC is saying that 1,852,828 votes is what is needed for either side to win. If the No is at 1,305,000 votes then they need about 500,000 more to win.

Scotland Says: NO!!!!

And it's all over. I admit I'm glad Scotland is staying. I think if they want to be independent then they need some concrete ideas of how they're going to deal with all kinds of issues like currency,national defense etc and not just hope that everything will sort its self out and/or that the UK will be generous with the separation package.

There's still 6 counties to report. I doubt it'll change things much, but you know the whole don't count your eggs proverb.

Thank God, for awhile all I could think of Here comes Quebec next.

The Queen is expected to deliver a statement to the nation in the wake of the referendum result in an effort heal the rifts caused by the campaign.

Palace sources said that she had been following developments closely last night, after making an unusual intervention in the debate just days before the polls.

She will issue the written statement this afternoon to the break-up of the union or the need to deal bitter divisions which emerged during the campaign in the event of a no vote.

David Cameron is expected to make a televised address from Downing Street at 7am this morning. Michael Gove confirmed the Prime Minister will say more later in the day.

Palace staff were understood to have held an overnight meeting to plan the written response as the result became clear.
Queen to deliver statement on referendum result - Telegraph

No longer a 'predicted' result but a definite NO vote.

Now for the healing process to begin.

31 counties are in and it's 55.42 NO to 44.58 Yes.

No longer a 'predicted' result but a definite NO vote.

Now for the healing process to begin.

Well put.

I hope that Westminster learns from this experience and addresses the issues that caused the referendum in the first place. Otherwise it's only a matter of time before another one happens - just look at Quebec.

:englandflag::scotflag::walesflag2::niflag::britflag:
Good morning everyone and very well done to you guys for all your posts throughout the night and keeping us updated with the results. Thank you.

The United Kingdom is intact and I am quite relieved as I am not sure what my reaction would have been had the vote gone the other way.
Nonetheless, this whole process has left me feeling without a proper and distinct national identity and that the United Kingdom is not one country. It is four distinct countries - each with it's own identity (although seemingly to a much lesser degree here in England) and I just don't get the idea why Scotland has it's own parliament, or Wales and NI have their own assemblies when we are apparently all one and the same?

I hope politicians throughout these lands will take stock of what has happened over the last few months and I hope people from England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland will be reminded of how vitally important it is to use their votes in elections and referenda and to engage properly in what is happening in their country.

Last edited:
I think one of the best things to come out of all of this is we English can stop pretending to like Andy Murray

Back
Top Bottom