Possible Scottish Independence and the Monarchy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lots of delicious questions.

Is Northern Ireland a separate kingdom? If it is, and on the basis of what is in this article http://resources.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/customs/questions/britain/britain.htm assuming "Great Britain" is a name that includes Scotland and that without Scotland the part of the island that includes just England and Wales is only Britain, will the UK become the United Kingdom of Britain and Northern Ireland after Scottish independence? If Northern Ireland is currently only a province of the UK and not a separate kingdom, will what is now the UK then become simply become known as Britain or the Kingdom of Britain?

Last edited:
The name right now is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, where "Great Britain" refers to England and Scotland and "England" refers to England and Wales.

What the name will be afterwards... Is anyones guess. The easiest root would just be to go "United Kingdom" and drop the "of..." Aspect entirely. Having just "Britain" is misleading because there hasn't been a "Britain" (no Great) since the Romans, and adding in Wales doesn't work because unlike England, Scotland, or Northern Ireland, Wales isn't a kingdom (from the naming scheme, it's a principality within the Kingdom of England).

I would actually argue that this could be distressing to the Queen. While she isn't an newbie to losing realms, it has been awhile since she lost one and it's not really like you can compare Scotland to, say, Fiji. Scotland is a part of her home.

Who is going to be in charge if this happens? Are the people crying for independence or is it just a group of politicians wanting independence? Would the country then become like Germany is today, where they can elect a president? What I don't get is that so many people can be taken in by the politicians calling for a republic and they know nothing about a republic.......from what I see in the world is that people seem to think all their problems are just going to vanish with a republic and all will be well and that is so darn short sighted. I really hope that Scotland stays where it is right now, my ancestors would not be pleased right now if they break away.

If memory serves, when Quebec had it's referendum in '95, the Queen was quoted as being on the side of remaining in confederation. It doesn't surprise me at all that she would feel similarly about Scotland.

If memory serves, when Quebec had it's referendum in '95, the Queen was quoted as being on the side of remaining in confederation. It doesn't surprise me at all that she would feel similarly about Scotland.

Here's the transcript of her phone call with who she thought was Jean Chrétien.

Because, Iluvbertie, HMQ is half Scots herself, and like many people in these islands has ties woven into the warp and weft of the union that has existed since 1707..

That Nationalists seek to create barriers and division between us will be of lasting sadness to the Queen, as it is to all those of us who believe we are BETTER TOGETHER, rather than rent apart !

Last edited:
Who is going to be in charge if this happens? Are the people crying for independence or is it just a group of politicians wanting independence? Would the country then become like Germany is today, where they can elect a president? .

As far as I am aware things leadership wise in reference to The Queen will stay the same. Alex Salmond will probably become PM. It's politicians crying for attention against English government. I would put money on Scotland voting no.

If yes wins, the possibility exist for most radical nationalist to force a vote on the monarchy in Scotland.

If yes wins, the possibility exist for most radical nationalist to force a vote on the monarchy in Scotland.
Indeed so... and the YES camp are lying when they say they plan to keep the Monarchy... [they say it as they hope to hoodwink Scottish Monarchists into voting For them...] Once the vote is YES.. all 'bets are off'...

Correct, wyevale. Saying they'll keep the monarchy is part of the Nationalists' strategy to convince Scots that things will hardly change at all, while also being magically so much better, when they're independent. It's incredibly disingenuous of them because, at heart, they're pretty solidly left-wing and stridently republican.

They're only monarchists when it suits them. I'm sure the Queen is aware of this.

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but will the Queen be in Scotland for the referendum? She usually has two months holiday at Balmoral in August and September?!

The referendum is due to take place on Thursday 18th September, there is a high chance The Queen will be in Scotland when it happens. I might have even read an article way back on the matter.

Scotland & England are united since such a long time - and I cannot see how they think they will be better off going separate ways. The overhead costs of small countries are much higher (goverment, foreign policies, currency etc) and you have to compete against the rest of the world.

IMHO It is very shortsighted to think (except from some people who take all the profit) the people of Scotland will profit on the long run.

It's disturbing the way some people are being harassed by the nationalists though. J.K. Rowling has gotten all sorts of hate mail for her article on staying in the UK. Can't some simply accept that opinions differ?

It's disturbing the way some people are being harassed by the nationalists though. J.K. Rowling has gotten all sorts of hate mail for her article on staying in the UK. Can't some simply accept that opinions differ?
Yes I read about that and was disgusted by such sentiments. My grandfather whoo is from skye feels that it would be a huge mistake for scot land to be independent. He also says, look at how those who are such strongs supporters of independence will gain in terms of money or power.

Fears monarchy could be ditched by independent Scotland with Queen forced to send Australian-style Royal representative instead
Queen may be forced to send Governor-General to Edinburgh if Scotland goes independent | Mail Online

Richard Palmer @RoyalReporter · 11h
Back to work after a two week break today. The main talking point seems to be, will Scotland retain the Queen if it votes for independence?

Richard Palmer @RoyalReporter · 10h
One constitutional expert quoted by The Times today thinks an independent Scotland would need a Governor General if it retained the monarchy

Martin @CourtierUK · 44s
Exactly a month today, Scotland will vote on whether to remain part of the UK… #bettertogether #indyref

Last edited:
I'd like to know what is the opinion of scottish members here.... (Well of course they support the monarchy :lol:) but what is the feeling in scoltand right now?
Do you think the voters will choose for a independency?

Fears monarchy could be ditched by independent Scotland with Queen forced to send Australian-style Royal representative instead
Queen may be forced to send Governor-General to Edinburgh if Scotland goes independent | Mail Online
This article seems to have a bit of fear mongering in it.

It would seem obvious that if Scotland were to break free from the UK it would be given the same treatment that every other realm has been given - namely, Governor Generals and the like. The decision to call this "Australian style" is a scare tactic, since the Aussies tend to be the most openly republican of the realms.

Last edited by a moderator:
Scotland & England are united since such a long time - and I cannot see how they think they will be better off going separate ways. The overhead costs of small countries are much higher (goverment, foreign policies, currency etc) and you have to compete against the rest of the world.

IMHO It is very shortsighted to think (except from some people who take all the profit) the people of Scotland will profit on the long run.
You do have valid points. I have been told that the history between Scotland and England is heavily stained by blood and brutality. A fair number of Scotsmen/women want to be independent from England. So there will be a referendum to express their opinion on the matter. It is very difficult, but not impossible to run a government, outline/re-attune foreign policies, print new currency (if needed) and compete against the rest of the world. The former Yugoslavia, the former Czechoslovakia and republics of the former USSR did it.

Last edited:
I would have assumed that people realised that Scotland would need a GG if it becomes independent and remains a realm, which it will unless there is a second referendum down the track on becoming a republic.

The alternative would be to increase the workload on the British monarch who would have to deal with the red boxes from two separate realms, presumably have meetings each week with the PMs of the two countries, have Privy Council meetings with two separate organisations to approve bills etc.

Ah, well, Bertie I'm sure you know the old adage about what happens when you make assumptions.

I think this article is trying to incite fear among the Brits who don't get a vote in the referendum.

Fear-mongering notwithstanding, the article makes a valid point: the Queen cannot be left in a position where she receives conficting advice of the government of an independent Scotland and the government of what is left of the UK in issues where both are at odds. The only viable way to prevent that situation from arising is to have a Governor General in Edinburgh to act as de facto Head of State on behalf of the Queen. An alternative solution, of course, would be ditching the monarchy altogether and turning an independent Scotland into a republic, which is probably the nationalists' goal in the long run.

No 'PROBABLY' about it.. Until a referendum became likely [about 10 years ago], their position was always [a pretty left wing] republicanism. Their 'intention to retain the monarchy is simply a front [and no-one believes it !]

Last edited:
Thanks to all for these recent comments about the need for a GG and implications arising from the choices before the people of Scotland. Well done. It's good to be informed and that is one of the reasons many of us frequent the Royal Forms. And, yes, I am speaking for others without their consent. I just think there is agreement on the quality of understanding....

The article makes a valid point - if Scotland becomes independent and retains the monarchy it will have to have a Governor General. That's a part of being an independent realm.

While the article brings up a valid point it does so in a manner that is rather irrational. There are 15 realms right now with a GG. Australia is one, but it isn't the one that originated the idea of a GG. Having a GG is in no way "Australian style" any more than it is Canadian or Jamaican style.

Alex Salmond was interviewed on Sky News today regarding this subject, he described the article in the times as ridiculous. I don't trust him. I think if Scotland becomes an independent country, it will be held a referendum on the monarchy when The Queen dies, but I think the monarchy will win.

Question.....if Scotland becomes a country in it's own right, then will the Queen or any other members of the royal family be able to go there and still up hold the royal events that they do each year? There are many events that the queen really likes in Scotland and the royal family has personal homes there......what would happen to all of them? I hope that Scotland stays as it does have lots of history with Great Britain and yes there is lots of violence between the two..............don't all countries of the world have lots of violence with each other in some way? Time to let that go and move on and go forward........the past is the past, and it's okay to remember it, just don't let it make the decisions of today. If we all lived in the past each day then we would never get anything done today.....

Back
Top Bottom