The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-23-2014, 09:04 AM
Heir Presumptive

They may not be overwhelmingly anti Union but there is indeed a tendency for the young people to be more anti Union than the rest. Just look at the numbers:

- as age decreases, the number of YES voters increases
- the second group (25-39) voted, as a majority, YES and the first group (16-24) voted NO but the difference is almost null
- the only group where we can say people overwhelmingly prefer the Union is the last one (65+)

Old 09-23-2014, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

I presume this is better than Her majesty quacking like a duck......

BBC News - Queen purred over Scotland result, says David Cameron

Old 09-23-2014, 03:41 PM
Imperial Majesty

Video:
PM: Queen 'Purred Down Line' Over Scots Vote-
PM: Queen 'Purred Down Line' Over Scots Vote

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 09-23-2014, 03:48 PM
Serene Highness

Cameron seems more than merely accident prone.. His incompetance is clear ! First his complacency in the face of the referendum, and now he has managed to embroil the Sovereign [who had up to this point successfully avoided partisan involvement] in just such a row....

His next audience with HMQ will be gratifyingly difficult...
Old 09-23-2014, 04:02 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

A; What an idiot, he is getting the "evils" from The Queen right now.
B; Why would Cameron need to tell The Queen they'd voted no? She would have known either when she woke up or throughout the night.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
B; Why would Cameron need to tell The Queen they'd voted no? She would have known either when she woke up or throughout the night.
A) Bless him, he tries so hard.
B) Well, you can't believe everything you hear on the television or radio - but if the prime minister tells you something officially, you know for sure it's going to be the truth!
Old 09-23-2014, 04:13 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Yes, but most likely he had to communicate with Her Majesty during the campaign and after the vote. I'm just wondering; what does he mean she "purred down the line?"

I'm guessing he meant that she expressed her happiness and relief.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 09-23-2014, 04:28 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Yes, but most likely he had to communicate with Her Majesty during the campaign and after the vote. I'm just wondering; what does he mean she "purred down the line?"

I'm guessing he meant that she expressed her happiness and relief.
I get that he had to communicate with her but his exact words were;

"The definition of relief is being The Prime Minister of The United Kingdom and ringing The Queen and saying, "It's alright, it's okay". That's something. She purred down the phone.

Purring is not a word I would pair with The Queen, ever. Cameron picked the wrong word. He was describing his and her relief on the situation and I imagine what he heard was the relief sigh you have.

This is similar to the "bigott" comment from GB!
Old 09-23-2014, 04:34 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Cameron seems more than merely accident prone.. His incompetance is clear ! First his complacency in the face of the referendum, and now he has managed to embroil the Sovereign [who had up to this point successfully avoided partisan involvement] in just such a row....

His next audience with HMQ will be gratifyingly difficult...
I think he may get the infamous steely glare.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

Paul Harrison @SkyNewsRoyal · 6h
#royal Buckingham Palace would neither confirm nor deny that the #Queen purrs when she is happy....one of my wierder chats with Buck Pal.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 09-23-2014, 09:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Paul Harrison @SkyNewsRoyal · 6h
#royal Buckingham Palace would neither confirm nor deny that the #Queen purrs when she is happy....one of my wierder chats with Buck Pal.
This made me laugh. And I suspect it made both staff at BP and the press corps laugh as well.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post

This is just my opinion, but having seen the family movies, the official and unofficial activities she tackles over the Balmoral holiday, she seems far more a Scots duck over the summer than other members of the family. They pipe in the dinner (or is it breakfast?), for heaven sake. She has always impressed me as being part Scotland in her heart. I think she loves all the Commonwealth but the River Dee flows in her veins. And I really like her for that!
Old 09-23-2014, 09:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
This is just my opinion, but having seen the family movies, the official and unofficial activities she tackles over the Balmoral holiday, she seems far more a Scots duck over the summer than other members of the family. They pipe in the dinner (or is it breakfast?), for heaven sake. She has always impressed me as being part Scotland in her heart. I think she loves all the Commonwealth but the River Dee flows in her veins. And I really like her for that!
Well, HM is half Scottish. It is only natural that she feels a strong connection with Scotland. Her mother was Scottish and I feel that spending time there as a child with her Scottish mother and other Scottish family members would have had a profound effect on her. I have no doubt at all that HM feels great personal pleasure and satisfaction that the majority of the Scottish people voted to remain within the UK.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:23 PM
Heir Apparent

David Cameron: Queen 'purred' down line over Scottish Independence vote - Telegraph
Quote:
David Cameron is to apologise to the Queen for an extraordinary breach of protocol after he was heard saying that she “purred” down the line after he told her Scotland had voted against independence.

The Prime Minister was meeting business leaders in New York when he was caught on a microphone talking about a private conversation he held with the Queen after Friday’s referendum result. It was reported he said she had even wept with joy.

In the comments to Michael Bloomberg, the former mayor of New York, Mr Cameron also admitted that the Scottish referendum “should never have been that close”.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks Cameron. Very helpful, in the atmosphere following the referendum.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Not very smart of him. He's proven he's as capable of being just as unwise as Salmond.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
This made me laugh. And I suspect it made both staff at BP and the press corps laugh as well.
I can only imagine Paul asking the palace press office about the Queen's purr.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 09-24-2014, 12:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Actually I'm a bit surprised the Queen purrs. I didn't think she was a cat person. Perhaps she does it in games with the corgis.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:13 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post

Quote:
Well said Jack. I think that, unlike a politician of any party or ilk, HM's situation is pretty well unique.

On the one hand she and her family have both historic ties and personal ties to Scotland. On the other, she is the Queen of UK and head of the Commonwealth.

It must have left her feeling divided and, like a good deal of Scots who have homes there but whose work takes them all over the UK were denied voice. They were denied the right to vote in a referendum while teenages with no general enfranchisement were cynically granted that right.

HM can be forgiven a feeling of relief on both a personal and political level and her immediate response was that it was time to bind up their wounds and forge ahead as Scots. And there is David Cameron with his trusty petrol can thinking he can use HM as the rag in his very own molotov cocktail. (I fear the blowback may very well singe him right and properly at his next meeting with HM).

Nobody likes a braggart and I am sure HM will convey her own opinion on his behaviour, but I have to say that it seems Alex Salmond is plainly a very poor loser and David Cameron utterly graceless, insensitive and arrogant to the people of Scotland in the face of an historic win.

Tags
referendums, scotland, scottish independence