The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-19-2014, 01:24 AM
Aristocracy

Sky Forecast: Scotland Rejects Independence

Old 09-19-2014, 01:58 AM
Commoner

Thank God, for awhile all I could think of Here comes Quebec next.

Old 09-19-2014, 02:03 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
The Queen is expected to deliver a statement to the nation in the wake of the referendum result in an effort heal the rifts caused by the campaign.

Palace sources said that she had been following developments closely last night, after making an unusual intervention in the debate just days before the polls.

She will issue the written statement this afternoon to the break-up of the union or the need to deal bitter divisions which emerged during the campaign in the event of a no vote.

David Cameron is expected to make a televised address from Downing Street at 7am this morning. Michael Gove confirmed the Prime Minister will say more later in the day.

Palace staff were understood to have held an overnight meeting to plan the written response as the result became clear.
Queen to deliver statement on referendum result - Telegraph
Old 09-19-2014, 02:14 AM
Imperial Majesty

No longer a 'predicted' result but a definite NO vote.

Now for the healing process to begin.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:15 AM
Nobility

31 counties are in and it's 55.42 NO to 44.58 Yes.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:16 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post

Beautifully put
A historic day.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:22 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post

Well put.

I hope that Westminster learns from this experience and addresses the issues that caused the referendum in the first place. Otherwise it's only a matter of time before another one happens - just look at Quebec.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:27 AM
Super Moderator

Good morning everyone and very well done to you guys for all your posts throughout the night and keeping us updated with the results. Thank you.

The United Kingdom is intact and I am quite relieved as I am not sure what my reaction would have been had the vote gone the other way.
Nonetheless, this whole process has left me feeling without a proper and distinct national identity and that the United Kingdom is not one country. It is four distinct countries - each with it's own identity (although seemingly to a much lesser degree here in England) and I just don't get the idea why Scotland has it's own parliament, or Wales and NI have their own assemblies when we are apparently all one and the same?

I hope politicians throughout these lands will take stock of what has happened over the last few months and I hope people from England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland will be reminded of how vitally important it is to use their votes in elections and referenda and to engage properly in what is happening in their country.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:29 AM
Aristocracy

I think one of the best things to come out of all of this is we English can stop pretending to like Andy Murray
Old 09-19-2014, 02:47 AM
Courtier

2 in 3 English MPs want to axe Scotland perks | Daily Mail Online
Old 09-19-2014, 02:52 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessOfPeace View Post
I think one of the best things to come out of all of this is we English can stop pretending to like Andy Murray
I think this clearly demonstrates how ridiculous the situation is - is he British or Scottish? When he plays for Britain is he really playing for Scotland?! Will he ever play for England or for GB again?
Old 09-19-2014, 02:55 AM
Nobility

Yes, I notice the analysts are saying David Cameron is relieved that he doesn't have to tell the Queen that he lost Scotland, but that he's not out of the woods because his party is not at all happy with him.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:00 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post

Good morning everyone and very well done to you guys for all your posts throughout the night and keeping us updated with the results. Thank you.

The United Kingdom is intact and I am quite relieved as I am not sure what my reaction would have been had the vote gone the other way.
Nonetheless, this whole process has left me feeling without a proper and distinct national identity and that the United Kingdom is not one country. It is four distinct countries - each with it's own identity (although seemingly to a much lesser degree here in England) and I just don't get the idea why Scotland has it's own parliament, or Wales and NI have their own assemblies when we are apparently all one and the same?

I hope politicians throughout these lands will take stock of what has happened over the last few months and I hope people from England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland will be reminded of how vitally important it is to use their votes in elections and referenda and to engage properly in what is happening in their country.
They were talking overnight on the BBC and CNN about the UK becoming federal, with parliaments/assemblies in the different counties/countries, similar to the states in the US, or to the way Germany operates.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:01 AM
Serene Highness

Thank goodness the vote went NO. I was so hoping it would be. I only hope that there will be more powers given as promised.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:01 AM
Imperial Majesty

To me, as an Aussie living in a successful Federation, it would seem logical to me that each of the 'countries' - NI, Wales, Scotland AND England should all have their own assemblies to deal with specific issues for them while Westminster deals with the big issues that affect everyone.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:04 AM
Super Moderator

The prime minister and other leaders were desperate over the last few weeks to prevent a yes vote and now that little hurdle has been jumped, the next one will be dealing with this rather sorry state of affairs. There is no doubt in my mind that the Barnett formula should be scrapped and I expect Mr Salmond to call for it to be ended very soon, considering Scotland does not need the extra money and can stand on it's own two feet!
Heir Apparent

It doesn't make sense for issues that are voted on locally in Edinburgh, Cardiff, and Wales by regarding Scottish, Welsh or NI issues but then allow for all of parliament to vote for English only issues. If its handled locally for the other 3, it should be done locally to for England.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
I think this clearly demonstrates how ridiculous the situation is - is he British or Scottish? When he plays for Britain is he really playing for Scotland?! Will he ever play for England or for GB again?
He appears to like talking out of both sides of his mouth. He'll be booed off the court.

Scotland referendum results. Andy Murray vows to play for Britain after support for Scottish independence | Daily Mail Online
Old 09-19-2014, 03:07 AM
Nobility

David Cameron does look pretty happy.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:08 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnEliza View Post
They were talking overnight on the BBC and CNN about the UK becoming federal, with parliaments/assemblies in the different counties/countries, similar to the states in the US, or to the way Germany operates.
Yes, my partner and I were discussing exactly the same thing last night. I think it is the only way to go and I would support it. The Scottish parliament would have to become an assembly and a nice new Assembly building could be built somewhere outside London - such as here in the lovely former kingdom of East Anglia!

Tags
referendums, scotland, scottish independence