The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #461  
Old 09-18-2014, 09:37 AM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 7,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalNight View Post
So do we know? Scotland in or out? When will we know? I hope for Scotland to stay with UK
The voters still can vote until 22.00 o'clock (local time) and then it will be a long wait to know for sure what the result will be.

__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #462  
Old 09-18-2014, 09:43 AM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 13,447
BBC Scottish Independence Vote Coverage: Airing LIVE Thursday 5:35pm EDT on C-SPAN 3-
BBC Scottish Independence Referendum Coverage | Video | C-SPAN.org
__________________

__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
Reply With Quote
  #463  
Old 09-18-2014, 09:43 AM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 7,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
BBC News - What would the union jack look like if the Scottish bit were removed?

Maybe you like one of these

No matter what outcome, I think the rift between english and scottish will be at an all time low what is a pity. It's almost coming down to hate now.
Come on, of course it will take some time for the YES or the NO camp to come to terms with the result of the Referendum but life goes on. The kids need to go to school, the shopping must be done, the factories continue and there will still be electricity coming out of the contacts. It is in no way comparable with "The Troubles" in Northern-Ireland. 99,9% of the electorate has behaved impeccably. Here and there are some hotheads with emotions running too high, but all will come well.

For us, monarchists, little will change. The known faces of the Queen, the Duke of Rothesay and the Earl of Strathearn (Elizabeth, Charles and William) will remain, no matter the outcome of today's Referendum.

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #464  
Old 09-18-2014, 09:46 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: pinner, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,656
Royalnight..

It is expected that the result will be known between 6 and 7 am GMT
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #465  
Old 09-18-2014, 10:39 AM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 7,271
I wonder why it takes that long. It is fairly simple: YES or NO. It is not like in normal elections with various lists and candidates. But indeed: as long as it remains too close to call, it will take a long time indeed.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #466  
Old 09-18-2014, 10:44 AM
cepe's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
I wonder why it takes that long. It is fairly simple: YES or NO. It is not like in normal elections with various lists and candidates. But indeed: as long as it remains too close to call, it will take a long time indeed.
IT is a manual voting system; the regional counts need time to get the ballot boxes in from outlying areas, they need to be validated (to ensure all accounted for) and then the count begins. There may be a need for recounts (who knows) but with an anticipated 85% turnout, thats over 4m ballot papers.
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Reply With Quote
  #467  
Old 09-18-2014, 11:26 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: N/A, France
Posts: 1,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
IT is a manual voting system; the regional counts need time to get the ballot boxes in from outlying areas, they need to be validated (to ensure all accounted for) and then the count begins. There may be a need for recounts (who knows) but with an anticipated 85% turnout, thats over 4m ballot papers.
The same system is used here in France and the first indications of the results can be given just after poll stations closure.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #468  
Old 09-18-2014, 11:30 AM
cepe's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancia View Post
The same system is used here in France and the first indications of the results can be given just after poll stations closure.
We dont give any official indication but in a general election, "exit polls" are taken by the political parties and they may comment. Same during the count - political parties may give an indication - but never official.

In the case of the Referendum there are no exit polls.
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Reply With Quote
  #469  
Old 09-18-2014, 11:43 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: N/A, France
Posts: 1,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
We dont give any official indication but in a general election, "exit polls" are taken by the political parties and they may comment. Same during the count - political parties may give an indication - but never official.

In the case of the Referendum there are no exit polls.

Thanks for these precisions. That is the difference with France. We have exit polls even in the case of a referendum.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #470  
Old 09-18-2014, 11:58 AM
Kellydofc's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Out in the country, United States
Posts: 272
I hate to say it but to me it seems like Scotland is like the teenager who's just come of age and rushes to move out of their parent's house so they can be "free". Six months later they're back home or crashing on a friend's sofa because they didn't realize how expensive freedom really is.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #471  
Old 09-18-2014, 12:06 PM
Jacknch's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Suffolk/Budapest, Hungary
Posts: 5,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
IT is a manual voting system; the regional counts need time to get the ballot boxes in from outlying areas, they need to be validated (to ensure all accounted for) and then the count begins. There may be a need for recounts (who knows) but with an anticipated 85% turnout, thats over 4m ballot papers.
So, will we only know the result once all areas have been counted or will each area's count be declared as and when it has, erm, been counted? I had this insane idea that the first results from smaller areas would be known pretty soon after the voting has closed. I'm not staying up all night long if nothing is going to be announced until the morning lol
__________________
JACK
Reply With Quote
  #472  
Old 09-18-2014, 12:10 PM
cepe's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,054
Just seen this - map of estimated times of results

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BxwdrUnIQAAYZhW.jpg
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Reply With Quote
  #473  
Old 09-18-2014, 12:16 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Poznan, Poland
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Royalnight..

It is expected that the result will be known between 6 and 7 am GMT
It takes them quite a long time... Will there be any estimated results after voting places are closed?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #474  
Old 09-18-2014, 12:18 PM
cepe's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalNight View Post
It takes them quite a long time... Will there be any estimated results after voting places are closed?
No according to news outlets
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Reply With Quote
  #475  
Old 09-18-2014, 12:21 PM
Duchess of Durham's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Durham, United States
Posts: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
I wonder why it takes that long. It is fairly simple: YES or NO. It is not like in normal elections with various lists and candidates. But indeed: as long as it remains too close to call, it will take a long time indeed.
We in the US thought so until the 2000 election. Just because there are only two options does not mean counting ballots will be easy.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #476  
Old 09-18-2014, 12:22 PM
PrincessOfPeace's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: York, United Kingdom
Posts: 180
Quote:
Scottish voters are set to narrowly reject independence today, according to the last poll published before the result is announced tomorrow morning.
The ‘No’ campaign goes into today’s referendum six points clear of the Alex Salmond’s nationalists – with 53 per cent of those certain to vote telling pollsters they will opt against separation.
Among those certain to vote, 50 per cent say they will vote No, with 45 per cent saying they will back independence. A further 4 per cent are still undecided, according to the pollsters Ipsos MORI.
Scotland set to REJECT independence as 'No' campaign takes six point lead | Daily Mail Online
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #477  
Old 09-18-2014, 12:51 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 7,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellydofc View Post
I hate to say it but to me it seems like Scotland is like the teenager who's just come of age and rushes to move out of their parent's house so they can be "free". Six months later they're back home or crashing on a friend's sofa because they didn't realize how expensive freedom really is.
Your comparison with a teenager does not hold stand. The Kingdom of Scotland exists since 843, in 1603 it became joined with England in a personal union and finally in 1707 it really unified with England into an United Kingdom. This means that Scotland is an ancient and proud state. When the Scots vote for YES this simply means that a majority feels the Union is no longer working. There have been many signals and wake-up calls, not in the least the landslide victory of Mr Salmond at the last Elections, defying all polls (!). When the Scots feel that Scottish interests are best served in Scottish hands, then this is a honourable opinion.

Yesterday in a BBC debate a NO-supporter urged that it is indeed a shame that there is high unemployment, poverty, food banks and children in shameful circumstances, in a nation potentially so rich as Scotland. The NO-supporter urged to stay together so that "we together can tackle unemployment, poverty and food banks". A lady from the YES-camp countered this that they ARE together for 308 years and there is unemployment, poverty, food banks and children in shameful circumstances, exactly in this so splendid and glorious Union. Her question was why she should believe the NO-camp that staying together would finally tackle these problems better.

The NO-camp fell silent and had no real answer on this. For me this was, in a small detail, a show that many Scots feel the Union serves "London" first and foremost, true or not true. That is the impression and apparently this feeling is deep-rooted and widespread.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #478  
Old 09-18-2014, 01:15 PM
Jacknch's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Suffolk/Budapest, Hungary
Posts: 5,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Just seen this - map of estimated times of results

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BxwdrUnIQAAYZhW.jpg
Thanks Cepe - and the following is from the BBC News website:

"However, running totals - which are expected to start trickling in from about 01:00 BST and pour in between 03:00 BST and 06:00 BST - may indicate a result earlier in the morning"
__________________
JACK
Reply With Quote
  #479  
Old 09-18-2014, 01:17 PM
Kellydofc's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Out in the country, United States
Posts: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Your comparison with a teenager does not hold stand. The Kingdom of Scotland exists since 843, in 1603 it became joined with England in a personal union and finally in 1707 it really unified with England into an United Kingdom. This means that Scotland is an ancient and proud state. When the Scots vote for YES this simply means that a majority feels the Union is no longer working. There have been many signals and wake-up calls, not in the least the landslide victory of Mr Salmond at the last Elections, defying all polls (!). When the Scots feel that Scottish interests are best served in Scottish hands, then this is a honourable opinion.

Yesterday in a BBC debate a NO-supporter urged that it is indeed a shame that there is high unemployment, poverty, food banks and children in shameful circumstances, in a nation potentially so rich as Scotland. The NO-supporter urged to stay together so that "we together can tackle unemployment, poverty and food banks". A lady from the YES-camp countered this that they ARE together for 308 years and there is unemployment, poverty, food banks and children in shameful circumstances, exactly in this so splendid and glorious Union. Her question was why she should believe the NO-camp that staying together would finally tackle these problems better.

The NO-camp fell silent and had no real answer on this. For me this was, in a small detail, a show that many Scots feel the Union serves "London" first and foremost, true or not true. That is the impression and apparently this feeling is deep-rooted and widespread.
The point is I don't think Scotland's Yes party has thought through the full economic ramifications of independence. I know where I live people feel everything is done for the capital but I think most of us know that there is no way we could financially break away even though every once in awhile nutters still talk about session. I know if the Yes party wins I will almost certainly not visit Scotland on my next trip to the UK. I just don't think it will be worth the hassle and most of my friends who are planning trips to the UK are saying the same thing. Independence sounds great but as anyone who's been involved in American politics can tell you it can also be horribly divisive.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #480  
Old 09-18-2014, 01:45 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 7,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellydofc View Post
The point is I don't think Scotland's Yes party has thought through the full economic ramifications of independence. I know where I live people feel everything is done for the capital but I think most of us know that there is no way we could financially break away even though every once in awhile nutters still talk about session. I know if the Yes party wins I will almost certainly not visit Scotland on my next trip to the UK. I just don't think it will be worth the hassle and most of my friends who are planning trips to the UK are saying the same thing. Independence sounds great but as anyone who's been involved in American politics can tell you it can also be horribly divisive.
We can argue that Latvia, Estonia and Lithuania are more prosperous then they were in the Soviet Union. We can argue that both the Czech Republic and Slovakia have fared better since they split in a "velvet divorce". We can argue that countries as Croatia and Slovenia have reached a far higher standard of living since they broke away from Yugoslavia. In general I am no supporter of separatism but it is hard to find any nation which has fared worser since they split away, leaving some obvious exceptions like Serbia (the backbone state of former Yugoslavia). The argument of Scotland will impoverish without Britain has -so far- not found evidence in other examples in Europe.

__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
referendums, scotland, scottish independence


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
best outfit december birthday carl gustaf chris o'neill crown princess mary crown princess victoria current events denmark duke of cambridge duke of edinburgh earl of snowdon europe general news grand duke jean hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume historical infanta cristina infanta leonor infanta sofia iñaki urdangarín james bond king felipe king felipe vi king philippe king willem-alexander letizia liechtenstein monarchy news picture of the week december prince alexander prince carl philip prince daniel prince emmanuel prince felix prince gabriel prince harry prince nicholas prince oscar prince philip princess beatrice princess claire of luxembourg princess estelle princess leonore princess madeleine princess of asturias princess sofia princess victoria prince william queen elizabeth ii queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen margerthe queen mathilde queen maxima queen maxima daytime fashion queen silvia queen sofia spanish royal family events state visit stephanie sweden swedish royal family tiara tony armstrong-jones united kingdom victoria



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:34 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017
Jelsoft Enterprises