The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-17-2014, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, I think at this stage some lightheartedness is needed, because it is almost crunch time and my nerves are getting frayed. Is anyone staying up all night tomorrow to find out the result? The announcement is expected around early morning here in the UK.
I keep thinking of all our overseas friends - in the US particularly - who have to burn the candle at each end to watch a royal wedding. What do I need for an all night TV watching marathon apart from coffee?! Will anyone be online here at 3.30am

Old 09-17-2014, 03:27 PM
Courtier

Is there any way to watch Results come in online from the U.S? I do have BBC World News but don't know if they will be carrying it

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Old 09-17-2014, 03:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
Yes, I think at this stage some lightheartedness is needed, because it is almost crunch time and my nerves are getting frayed. Is anyone staying up all night tomorrow to find out the result? The announcement is expected around early morning here in the UK.
I keep thinking of all our overseas friends - in the US particularly - who have to burn the candle at each end to watch a royal wedding. What do I need for an all night TV watching marathon apart from coffee?! Will anyone be online here at 3.30am
I will probably stay up until the point of no return. Official statement is expected c. 07:00 Friday morning.

its very tense

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 09-17-2014, 03:37 PM
Serene Highness

I almost always stay up on election nights, but for this one I don't think I will..
On the basis that i'll be better able to cope with a [God forbid] 'Yes' result, if i've had a good nights sleep !
Old 09-17-2014, 03:43 PM
Aristocracy

I'll be following the results through the night. Regardless of the vote, the constitutional landscape of the country has changed forever.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:47 PM
Courtier

I think the no will win it. But I am very nervous about the result. I am less confident than what I was a month ago.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:58 PM
Courtier

I'll be following the proceedings with intense interest, and with heartfelt thoughts of those to whom the result will mean so much.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:29 PM
Serene Highness

The reason I hope the Scots stay in the United Kingdom [apart from an emotional attachment to the nation of my birth] is my belief in solidarity, in a world of fewer rather than more borders and in the union itself – as the best method of sharing the rewards and risks of our collective life together on what is still a small island.

The yes case has been, [as Scottish law might put it, not proven.] The implications have not been worked through, the risks not fully addressed. What’s more, a decision of such gravity – to break away from a 300-year-old union – should be the settled will of a nation. The very fact that Scottish opinion is so closely divided is itself a weakness in the case for independence. Moves of such import should command enduring and overwhelming support, and that has not yet proved to be the case.

I hope I shall wake up on the morning of the 19th to find that the Scots have chosen not to divide these islands irrevocably.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:51 PM
Royal Highness

I don't think you're going to win. Stop a Union of 300 years would be a disgrace to the United Kingdom.
I'm nervous about the result, I hope the Scots think again before voting.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:37 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishRoyalist View Post
Is there any way to watch Results come in online from the U.S? I do have BBC World News but don't know if they will be carrying it
C-SPAN 3 is going to have the BBC coverage starting at 5:35 PM Eastern.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:24 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I can't believe that the thing has all escalated into this, half of the Scots joining a populist charlatan. A good reason never to give a referendum to any region ever again.

There are 100+ regions in Europe that can claim some sort of independence. Just now EUrope is crawling out of the economic crisis, this can set us all right back into a new one. And for what?

Although the scare-tactics of the no-camp have quite the reverse effect I am not sure if the bullying tactics of the yes-populists should be rewarded either.

Don’t let Alex Salmond blind you to the yes campaign’s dark side | Martin Kettle | Comment is free | The Guardian
Old 09-18-2014, 08:01 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Controversally, English resident & GB team member, scottish-born Andy Murray has taken side with YES this morning.
Andy Murray says 'Yes' to Scottish independence | Daily Mail Online
Old 09-18-2014, 08:07 AM
Imperial Majesty

I thought Reuters Live would provide some coverage but none of their videos work anymore and they seem to have stopped tweeting in July. What happened to Reuters Live?

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 09-18-2014, 08:47 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
The reason I hope the Scots stay in the United Kingdom [apart from an emotional attachment to the nation of my birth] is my belief in solidarity, in a world of fewer rather than more borders and in the union itself – as the best method of sharing the rewards and risks of our collective life together on what is still a small island....

Eloquently, economically, and elegantly expressed.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-18-2014, 09:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Ok, I'll say it...the reason I hope the UK stays intact is because I think the Union Jack is such a pretty flag! (I know...I'm shallow).
Old 09-18-2014, 09:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
Do you have to work tomorrow? That's the real problem to these all-nighters.

I have a job now that every once and a while requires an almost all-nighter. You're done for for about 2-3 days afterwards, unfortunately, if you have to get up the next day.

I suspect that there will be many zombies tomorrow in the U.K.

I won't be up at 2 am to hear the official results though if I wake up I'll likely check my phone for the results. I've done that when royal babies are on the way.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:05 AM
Heir Presumptive

Up to a Point: A Free Scotland Would Be a Hilarious Disaster - The Daily Beast
Old 09-18-2014, 09:11 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Ok, I'll say it...the reason I hope the UK stays intact is because I think the Union Jack is such a pretty flag! (I know...I'm shallow).
BBC News - What would the union jack look like if the Scottish bit were removed?

Maybe you like one of these

No matter what outcome, I think the rift between english and scottish will be at an all time low what is a pity. It's almost coming down to hate now.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:26 AM
Aristocracy

So do we know? Scotland in or out? When will we know? I hope for Scotland to stay with UK
Old 09-18-2014, 09:33 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
It's almost coming down to hate now.
Such are the fruits of nationalism...

Tags
referendums, scotland, scottish independence