The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-16-2014, 03:41 PM
Courtier

I really hate that term the Westminster Parties. I find it insulting to the rest of UK.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:52 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalistbert View Post

I really hate that term the Westminster Parties. I find it insulting to the rest of UK.
Is there a better term? It is not the Cardiff, Belfast or Edinburgh parties. Maybe `UK-parties' is better, but even SNP holds seats in the House of Commons, so maybe "Westminster parties" is the most defined term?

Old 09-16-2014, 03:55 PM
Heir Apparent

of the 650 seats in the National Parliament based in Westminster, 72 are designated to Scottish constituencies.

41 of these were won by Labour in the last election and 6 by SNP.

So in the General election the majority of Scots voted for Labour candidates.

Scotland has a strong say both at home and in Westminster.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 09-16-2014, 04:09 PM
Serene Highness

The UK Parliament works for me !
Old 09-16-2014, 04:12 PM
Serene Highness

Opinium poll shows Scottish support for staying in the United Kingdom at 52 percent: Telegraph newspaper
Old 09-16-2014, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
The UK Parliament works for me !
Yes, it is properly the Parliament of the United Kingdom.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:43 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
The annual ball that The Queen throws for staff at her Aberdeenshire estate has been put back by a day, it is reported. Usually, the Gillies Ball is held on a Thursday, and it seems the upcoming referendum could be the cause for postponing the event until Friday 19th September, the day after Scotland votes on independence.

It remains to be seen whether the event, described by one worker as ‘[just about] the most exclusive ball in the world’, will be a celebration or a more solemn occasion, depending on which way the Scottish vote goes.
The Queen’s Balmoral ball put back until a day after Scottish referendum
Old 09-16-2014, 05:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalistbert View Post

Westminster is just shorthand for the Parliament, as Parliament sits in the Palace of Westminster in Westminter, London (London being another shorthand). A "Westminster party" would simply be a party that sits in parliament, or even just runs for a seat in parliament.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:12 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
By Alastair Bruce, Sky News Constitutional Affairs Commentator

Great Britain's name as a nation, its Parliament at Westminster and its flag are all potentially vulnerable to the vote that Scotland will make on Thursday.

Political change to the constitutional settlements, which have lasted for three centuries, will inevitably start on Friday but there is a strong possibility that Scots, who form the second largest nation in the Union of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, will irrevocably leave.

The monarchy may change, too, but much to the format that lasted a century, from 1603 to 1707, in that the Queen would be monarch of two rather than one nation in the British Isles.
Symbols Of State Vulnerable To Scotland Vote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
The humor of John Oliver hit it right on the spot. All the nonsense that has been spouted on both sides, has led them to this. It is a real conundrum, how it will all work, will have to be seen. But it is for Scots to say and no one else.
Yes. That John Oliver video was great fun and I think he was spot on. Thanks for the link, Empress Merel.

I have to love a country that has the unicorn as its national animal.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:18 AM
Serene Highness

Some of you foreign types who seem to be so keen to break up a nation that isn't YOURS, should perhaps read this...

http://wakeupscotland.wordpress.com/.../ewan-morrison.../
Old 09-17-2014, 08:50 AM
Heir Apparent

wyevale, you are as foreign as I am when it comes to this issue. It is for the Scots who reside in Scotland to determine, and them alone.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Some of you foreign types who seem to be so keen to break up a nation that isn't YOURS, should perhaps read this...

http://wakeupscotland.wordpress.com/.../ewan-morrison.../
Is this directed to people who have contributed to this thread or was it placed here in error? As far as I can see, no one has specifically stated here that they wish to for the UK to be broken up and certainly no one is relishing the thought of it happening.

I would add that I find no comfort in the phrase "you foreign types".
Old 09-17-2014, 08:58 AM
Serene Highness

Roslyn.. My Father is a Scot,and both he and my brother are resident there... I grew up there...and left just ten years ago ! So how dare you have the temerity to tell me I am a foreigner there !
Old 09-17-2014, 09:05 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Roslyn.. My Father is a Scot,and both he and my brother are resident there... I grew up there...and left just ten years ago ! So how dare you have the temerity to tell me I am a foreigner there !
I dare to say it because your location (Pinner) indicates you do not reside in Scotland, and it is only the Scots who reside in Scotland who get a vote in this referendum. I, too, have Scottish blood, though it came from a couple of generations back. Yet since neither of us resides in Scotland it doesn't matter whether one was born there and later moved, or their great grandmother was born there and subsequently moved. Anyone who does not currently reside in Scotland is as foreign as I am for present purposes.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Play nice. In any case, hoping the best outcome for all concerned.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:30 AM
Aristocracy

An explanation of just how unfair the system is to the English

The Barnett Formula Explained
Old 09-17-2014, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

There is expected to be a large turn out in voters tomorrow for the referendum, possibly 80%. Obviously this is no indicator as to what the result will be, but I think it shows just how important people feel the issue is.

BBC News - Scottish independence: Councils braced for huge turnout
Old 09-17-2014, 12:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Some humor, maybe?

The Onion is a highly sarcastic online fake news magazine and from it's feed today, here is a sendup of Cameron on the referendum.

This is sarcastic and the humor will not be for all as it contains a mental health issue. Don't bother if you are sensitive on the subject of suicide.

But it made me chuckle after all I have read here and elsewhere about Cameron's efforts on behalf of the referendum.
David Cameron To Scottish People: ‘I’ll Kill Myself If You Leave’ | The Onion - America's Finest News Source
Old 09-17-2014, 12:47 PM
Heir Apparent

The general consensus (particularly across all "flavours" of the media) is that both speeches made by Cameron were good - hit the right note esp considering that the conservatives are disliked in Scotland. Took guts to say what he did.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,

Tags
referendums, scotland, scottish independence