The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-15-2014, 05:28 PM
Royal Highness

The UK has been voting conservative for a long time and the Tory party is the biggest party the government has rn with the PM being a Tory.

For many Scots, escaping the Tories is a big reason to vote Yes

Old 09-15-2014, 05:36 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
If the vote goes No, there has to change something within the UK. You cannot have a Tory (why the hell you English people keep on voting like that is beyond me) government while an entire country does not identify with that side. If Scotland leaves, Tory's will have even more power. That is NOT a good thing.
No democratic country on Earth has a goverment where 100% of population voted for one party. Scotland has an SNP goverment of what 44% of population voted for it. Texas didn't vote for Obama yet they still got him.

Old 09-15-2014, 05:43 PM
Aristocracy

The former Labour PM admits it's his fault the SNP came to power
Quote:
Tony Blair has warned against 'ripping up the alliance' between Scotland and England in a rare intervention in the referendum debate.
The former Prime Minister, who was born in Edinburgh, said: 'Obviously I hope that Scotland votes to stay part of the United Kingdom.'
Mr Blair has avoided campaigning for a No vote as he knows he remains a divisive character north of the Border in the wake of the Iraq War.
In his autobiography, the former Labour leader claimed he was to blame for the party's humiliating defeat by the SNP in 2007, and the Nationalists have repeatedly described him as 'toxic'.
Tony Blair warns of dangers of 'ripping up the alliance' between Scotland and England | Mail Online
Old 09-15-2014, 05:44 PM
Royal Highness

Texas is merely a state though and when practically an entire nation does not sway in the direction of the Conservative party, you have a problem and a pissed off nation that feels it does not get a big enough of a say.

Look, I don't pretend to be an expert on this issue, I'm reading and learning along the way but many want Scotland to be able to decide what's best for them and I find that completely understandable. Republic of Ireland has done pretty okay and I doubt any of them grieve the day they left the Union. It's a bumpy road but it seems that so many are willing to risk it. If the vote goes No by a little margin, you still have a huge number of people that did vote Yes. That cannot be an issue left unattended.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:57 PM
Courtier

Texas a state with the population 26 million people and the size of France. Did not vote for Obama yes they have accept the fact that their guy doesn't win all the time.

What I am trying to say in a democracy not everyone gets what they wan't. Even within Scotland on Thursday a lot of people will be upset about the outcome but will have to accept the outcome of vote.

I am not saying the UK is perfect but then no country is perfect.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:16 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Barack Obama tonight urged Scottish voters not to break apart ‘one of the closest allies we’ll ever have’ by voting for independence on Thursday.

The dramatic intervention, just three days before Scotland goes to the polls, will infuriate Alex Salmond - with the battle for independence set to be decided by the smallest of margins.

Up to half a million voters remain undecided - with concerns over the future of Scotland’s place in major international organisations like the EU, Nato and the UN still hotly debated.
Obama urges Scotland not to ruin America's 'special relationship' with Britain by voting for independence | Mail Online
Old 09-15-2014, 08:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Another disappointment from my president, that as well as his beliefs on illegal immigration.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 09-15-2014, 08:06 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Another disappointment from my president, that as well as his beliefs on illegal immigration.
Just wondering What does that ave to do with Scottish Independence Referendum

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 09-15-2014, 08:07 PM
Heir Apparent

No worries - no one over here listens to Obama these days, either.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:07 PM
Heir Apparent

I can't help wondering whether these interfering comments from outsiders and scare-mongering tactics we've seen recently will in fact have the opposite effect to that which those responsible wished for.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:58 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
The Queen was last night heralded as ‘Queen Astute’ for her ‘carefully calculated’ appeal for voters to exercise caution in the Scottish independence referendum.

Pro-Union MPs roundly applauded Her Majesty’s call for voters to think ‘carefully’ about how they vote in Thursday’s referendum – with many interpreting her words as clear support for keeping Scotland in the UK.

Scottish Nationalists denied furiously that her remarks represented a challenge to the No campaign, however – with First Minister Alex Salmond insisting the Queen was ‘absolutely impartial’.
Pro-Union MPs hail 'astute' Queen for her plea to voters: Her Majesty heralded for her 'carefully calculated' appeal for people to exercise caution in referendum | Mail Online
Old 09-15-2014, 10:35 PM
Courtier

I am from Barbados which is a member of the Commonwealth. I also have family ties to the UK. I can't even imagine there no longer being a United Kingdom of Great Britain! I think the "No" vote will win but with a slim majority!!!
Old 09-16-2014, 12:12 AM
Imperial Majesty

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 09-16-2014, 01:22 AM
Nobility

I would imagine no one can say anything without being interpreted as supporting one side or the other, especially Her Majesty. Sounds like she's being impartial as she is required to be, but advising caution-- what's wrong with that? Any huge decision like this should be approached with caution, it will affect a great many people.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:23 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri Terri View Post
I am from Barbados which is a member of the Commonwealth. I also have family ties to the UK. I can't even imagine there no longer being a United Kingdom of Great Britain! I think the "No" vote will win but with a slim majority!!!
In case of a YES there still will be an United Kingdom ánd there will be a Scottish kingdom aside, with its throne being seated by Elizabeth, Dei Gratia, Scotia Regina, Fidei Defensatrix. (Elizabeth, by the Grace of God, Queen of Scots, Defender of Faith).

Old 09-16-2014, 05:34 AM
Royal Highness

The more other countries are urging Scots to vote NO, the more I am willing for a YES majority. Scots are grown up enough to know what they want for their own country. It is one more common point with the 2005 referendum, when us NO-voters were treated as plain stupid even if we took time to study all the points of the project we were asked to give our advice about.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:08 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancia View Post
The more other countries are urging Scots to vote NO, the more I am willing for a YES majority. Scots are grown up enough to know what they want for their own country. It is one more common point with the 2005 referendum, when us NO-voters were treated as plain stupid even if we took time to study all the points of the project we were asked to give our advice about.
A few thoughts:

• This thread should really be restricted to implications of the Scottish referendum on the Crown, and not for political statements. That said, in response to some of the views expressed here, I have put some of my thoughts down.
  • Of course the Scots are entitled to determine their own destiny. It is really for them to decide what they consider important whilst taking their decision.
  • That said, ignoring the view of the Unionists and the Better Together campaign, can the whole world be wrong in suggesting that a break-up of the Union would not be the wisest decision for all concerned? This is especially true when it is clear that the independent Scottish economy would be substantially worse off and capital and businesses head out of Scotland.
  • There are also a lot of unanswered questions. What would happen to Scotland's membership of the EU? What currency would they have? There will clearly be no currency union with the UK.
  • Also, the English have not been allowed to vote on whether they would like to continue to subsidise their Scottish neighbours in the future. Whilst most would be loath to see the union be broken up, at one level, it would be quite nice to not have to subsidise the 5million people who don't seem to have much regard for the hand that feeds them.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:44 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
][*]This thread should really be restricted to implications of the Scottish referendum on the Crown, and not for political statements. That said, in response to some of the views expressed here, I have put some of my thoughts down.
On this point I would agree with you if the whole subject wasn't so political. It is hard to keep far from political comment and analysis after the little phrase of the Queen this week-end.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
I can't help wondering whether these interfering comments from outsiders and scare-mongering tactics we've seen recently will in fact have the opposite effect to that which those responsible wished for.
I agree with you whole-heartedly here. Personally, I would would vote YES just to shut them up!
Today, the thing that is on my mind the most is the duplicity of the government's stance in all this. We're better off together, we don't want you to go, please keep the union - and then in the same breath - if you go independent, that's it, no going back, you're on your own, we won't help you etc etc.
Those sentiments alone make me wonder whether anyone would want to governed by an English parliament and MPs.
Mr Cameron has expressed his opinions in the wrong way, hardly endearing the Scottish people to his way of thinking.
And let us remember - this is NOT a political matter where Mr Salmond is pitted against Mr Cameron in some sort of dubious mud-wrestling pit like a House of Commons brawl. It is the ordinary folk of Scotland who are being asked to make a decision * These ordinary folk are muched loved by the people of the rest of the UK, they are our cousins and friends. If they choose to go independent, we should still be there for them, to support and encourage them in their quest for independent future and if that means financial and economic support for a few years until they are on their feet, then so be it.

*Not only am I interested in seeing a majority vote one way or the other, I cannot wait to find out the % of Scottish voter who actually turned out at the polling stations.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
A few thoughts:
  • This thread should really be restricted to implications of the Scottish referendum on the Crown, and not for political statements. That said, in response to some of the views expressed here, I have put some of my thoughts down.
  • Of course the Scots are entitled to determine their own destiny. It is really for them to decide what they consider important whilst taking their decision.
  • That said, ignoring the view of the Unionists and the Better Together campaign, can the whole world be wrong in suggesting that a break-up of the Union would not be the wisest decision for all concerned? This is especially true when it is clear that the independent Scottish economy would be substantially worse off and capital and businesses head out of Scotland.
  • There are also a lot of unanswered questions. What would happen to Scotland's membership of the EU? What currency would they have? There will clearly be no currency union with the UK.
  • Also, the English have not been allowed to vote on whether they would like to continue to subsidise their Scottish neighbours in the future. Whilst most would be loath to see the union be broken up, at one level, it would be quite nice to not have to subsidise the 5million people who don't seem to have much regard for the hand that feeds them.
I think that any comment on this thread is going to be political to some extent. The thread topic itself is rife with political implications. The residents of Scotland are getting to vote in a referendum - a part of the political proces - to determine whether or not their country will continue to be part of another country. It is a political issue. (Just as it will be in this country when we eventually get to vote again in a referendum to determine whether or not we continue to be a British realm with the English monarch as our monarch, or whether we can finally become a truly independent republic with our own head of state.)

I really think it is nobody's business but the Scots. They are grownups. If they make a snafu, it will be their snafu, and they will have no-one but themselves to blame. But I suspect they know that and are prepared to accept the consequences should the consequences of a "yes" vote indeed be detrimental to their economy in some ways in the initial years. But it is their right to make a snafu just as every other country that has been in a similar position over the years has had the right to do so. If I were a Scot living in Scotland I think I'd be very cheesed off to read the paternalistic opinions of the leaders of other countries who think I and my countrymen would be better off staying with our "protectors".

Tags
referendums, scotland, scottish independence