The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-20-2014, 03:28 AM
Majesty

Can I remind people that The Queen herself is descended from the Stuarts - Mary, Queen of Scots - James - Elizabeth - Sophia - George I etc through the Hanoverians.

The fact that William is a descendant of Charles II through his mother doesn't mean that he isn't also a Stuart through his father's lineage as well.

As far as the Commonwealth is concerned - there is no position such as Queen of the Commonwealth. There is a Head of the Commonwealth and that position isn't hereditary. Over the last couple of years The Queen has started pushing for Charles to follow her in that position but that is a recent thing because she knows it isn't automatic.

The Queen is used to countries breaking away from her as she is averaging close to one a year since she became Queen. I imagine she will treat it as all the others - privately may be upset but publicly she will put a good face on things and say things like - 'it is for the Scottish people to decide' as she did when Australia voted in 1999.

Old 02-20-2014, 03:33 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by julliette View Post
The idea that the british government will have a say in the possibility of the Queen being also Queen of Scotland is a bit weird. Why is it that way?
If it comes down to it, Scotland will be receiving independence through passage of an act of the British parliament. The British government will have a direct say over every part of that legislation, and could simply choose not to bring the legislation before Parliament if it disagrees with the way the new country will be set up. That's not necessarily a politically wise thing to do, but it would be within the government's powers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
How did Australia, NZ and the other realms decide on the Queen as Head of State? Did they decide or was the decision placed upon them and who by (ie British Government or the newly established realm government)?
The oldest realms have, as I understand it, never explicitly established a separate monarchy. They gained independence incrementally and the separateness of the crown went along with that. It's one of the reasons why Canada is having the most difficult time changing the line of succession. There's no actual Canadian law saying who the monarch should be, so amending it is difficult given that it doesn't strictly exist. (The position of the current government is that the line of succession currently lies only in British law, and that the easiest thing to do is to "consent" to the British changes. This is a little bizarre because Britain foreswore its ability to legislate for Canada in 1982.)

Old 02-20-2014, 04:24 AM
Royal Highness

Thank you Cepe for opening this thread and to everyone who has commented so far! It is an interesting subject to talk about and here in the UK we really do need to talk about all the various and intricate issues surrounding the prospect of Scottish independence.

At the moment much has been discussed in the media based upon what the politicians on both sides of the border are saying and indeed the focus is concentrating on issues such as finance and currency. The battle of words between Westminster and Holyrood will continue all year, with Westminster maintaining their stance against independence - that will be it, no going back, no currency, no Queen, no financial help etc etc! But the reality would be different, because I cannot imagine the remaining UK countries abandoning Scotland to a lonely fate. It will only be after a "yes" vote that all the negotiations will start. The Queen would certainly want the remaining UK countries to support and assist Scotland in the transition.

I know very little about how the Scottish people themselves feel and have not come across any opinion polls or surveys showing "how would you vote". I suspect the result will most likely be a very close run thing, although I do not know what percentages are need to pass the vote yes or no.

I understand that the Scottish parliament are keen to retain the Queen as Head of State, but I would bet my last English pound that if they couldn't keep the Queen, a certain first minister would be more than happy to take on the role!!
Old 02-20-2014, 04:41 AM
Nobility

Elizabeth 11 is also Queen of Scots.

I can see no reason why IF {God Forbid} the Scots vote for independence she should not remain so.. Scotland will become another 'realm and territory' of which she is Queen.

I cannot see why the Scots [who seem increasingly xenophobic] would plump for a Spanish or Bavarian Monarch. when they have one [who is half-Scot] already.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:20 AM
Gentry

As someone who is part Scot (amongst a few other nationalities) I can honestly say that the thought of independence horrifies me simply because nothing has been thought through by Salmond and the SNP, to be honest this whole thing reeks of a schoolyard spat that's gotten out of control.

Being blunt I trust Salmond about as much as I trust Cameron and Co....ie not very.

Family and friends North of the border are for the most part disinterested in an independent Scotland, all they want is for those in power in London to realise is that the world doesn't centre on them and the home counties. Unfortunately the more Osborne speaks, the more likely Scots are going to vote yes even if they want to say no simply because he is really doing a good job of getting the Scots back up.

Even if there is a definite YES vote these sort of things don't happen overnight, it could take years for everything to be finalised.

I just hope that those that can vote when the time comes do so with a level head and do not allow their distrust of Westminster to sway their vote.

We are united for a reason and we are only as strong as that union.

Personally I can see no reason for independence in the long term it benefits no one plus why rip asunder 411 years of tradition just because a very vocal minority are having one hell of a temper tantrum.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

And an article on topic.

" How can duchess of Alba become Queen of Scotland?" (Spanish Antena 3 Tv)

La Duquesa de Alba podría aspirar a ocupar el trono de una Escocia independiente - ANTENA 3 TV

Google Translate
Old 02-20-2014, 02:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Sovereign of Independent Scotland?

House of Stuart's Duchess of Alba could be next Queen of Scotland after independence vote | UK | News | Daily Express
Old 02-20-2014, 02:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Already got a thread started using this article - this is the link to the thread

Possible Scottish Independence and the Monarchy

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 02-20-2014, 02:42 PM
Aristocracy

I bet The Duchess of Alba is having a great laugh with all of this nonsense!!
Old 02-20-2014, 02:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Maybe HRH the Duke Franz of Bavaria and HRH Infanta Alicia of Bourbon have a better claim than the Duchess of Alba if we speak about Jacobite Line.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:01 PM
Aristocracy

I doubt The Duke of Bavaria wants to be King of Scots. His Royal Highness is happy living quietly in Germany with his partner.

I know nothing about Infanta Alicia.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Infanta Alicia is very old but her grandson, Prince Pedro(Peter) is very respected.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:16 PM
Majesty

Just a side note - the current law in Scotland - as elsewhere in the UK - does ban a Roman Catholic from being the monarch so before we start talking about Roman Catholics being offered the possible separate crown of Scotland there will need to be changes in the laws for Scotland regarding the church and the crown to allow a RC to inherit.

I see no reason for Scotland not to continue with The Queen if that is what the majority want - and if they do want their own monarch they could just as easily ask someone like Anne to become Queen of Scotland - don't know if she would accept of course but...
Old 02-20-2014, 04:38 PM
Heir Apparent

As I said in my earlier post, the article from the Express (post#1) completely ignores the religious aspects which just reinforces my view that it's a mischief piece.

I have been told today that somewhere buried in the 670 pages of the White Paper it very clear that independence would mean Scotland becoming the 17th Commonwealth Realm.

HEALTH WARNING: This document is written - obviously - by those wanting an independent Scotland. Some of the financial aspects have already been "discredited".

Scotland's Referendum 2014 | Scotland’s Future – Your Guide to an Independent Scotland

Old 02-20-2014, 05:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Descendants of Queen Mary IV and III
Old 02-20-2014, 05:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Religion has nothing to do with the Scottish Throne!
Old 02-20-2014, 05:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
Religion has nothing to do with the Scottish Throne!
Have a look at Iluvbertie's v informative post #31

Old 02-20-2014, 06:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

The laws of the UK won't really apply to an Independent Scotland.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
The laws of the UK won't really apply to an Independent Scotland.
They wont change everything. Religion is a sensitive subject in Scotland and IMO, any government will not want to make it an issue.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Catholics are much more numerous than in England and represent the traditional religion of Scotland and of the Stuarts.