Possible Scottish Independence and the Monarchy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous:
I really hate that term the Westminster Parties. I find it insulting to the rest of UK.

I really hate that term the Westminster Parties. I find it insulting to the rest of UK.

Is there a better term? It is not the Cardiff, Belfast or Edinburgh parties. Maybe `UK-parties' is better, but even SNP holds seats in the House of Commons, so maybe "Westminster parties" is the most defined term?

:flowers:

:previous: of the 650 seats in the National Parliament based in Westminster, 72 are designated to Scottish constituencies.

41 of these were won by Labour in the last election and 6 by SNP.

So in the General election the majority of Scots voted for Labour candidates.

Scotland has a strong say both at home and in Westminster.

The UK Parliament works for me !

Opinium poll shows Scottish support for staying in the United Kingdom at 52 percent: Telegraph newspaper

The annual ball that The Queen throws for staff at her Aberdeenshire estate has been put back by a day, it is reported. Usually, the Gillies Ball is held on a Thursday, and it seems the upcoming referendum could be the cause for postponing the event until Friday 19th September, the day after Scotland votes on independence.

It remains to be seen whether the event, described by one worker as ‘[just about] the most exclusive ball in the world’, will be a celebration or a more solemn occasion, depending on which way the Scottish vote goes.
The Queen’s Balmoral ball put back until a day after Scottish referendum

Westminster is just shorthand for the Parliament, as Parliament sits in the Palace of Westminster in Westminter, London (London being another shorthand). A "Westminster party" would simply be a party that sits in parliament, or even just runs for a seat in parliament.

By Alastair Bruce, Sky News Constitutional Affairs Commentator

Great Britain's name as a nation, its Parliament at Westminster and its flag are all potentially vulnerable to the vote that Scotland will make on Thursday.

Political change to the constitutional settlements, which have lasted for three centuries, will inevitably start on Friday but there is a strong possibility that Scots, who form the second largest nation in the Union of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, will irrevocably leave.

The monarchy may change, too, but much to the format that lasted a century, from 1603 to 1707, in that the Queen would be monarch of two rather than one nation in the British Isles.
Symbols Of State Vulnerable To Scotland Vote

The humor of John Oliver hit it right on the spot. All the nonsense that has been spouted on both sides, has led them to this. It is a real conundrum, how it will all work, will have to be seen. But it is for Scots to say and no one else.

Yes. That John Oliver video was great fun and I think he was spot on. Thanks for the link, Empress Merel. :flowers:

I have to love a country that has the unicorn as its national animal. :lol:

wyevale, you are as foreign as I am when it comes to this issue. It is for the Scots who reside in Scotland to determine, and them alone.

Some of you foreign types who seem to be so keen to break up a nation that isn't YOURS, should perhaps read this...

http://wakeupscotland.wordpress.com/.../ewan-morrison.../

Is this directed to people who have contributed to this thread or was it placed here in error? As far as I can see, no one has specifically stated here that they wish to for the UK to be broken up and certainly no one is relishing the thought of it happening.

I would add that I find no comfort in the phrase "you foreign types".

Roslyn.. My Father is a Scot,and both he and my brother are resident there... I grew up there...and left just ten years ago ! So how dare you have the temerity to tell me I am a foreigner there !

Roslyn.. My Father is a Scot,and both he and my brother are resident there... I grew up there...and left just ten years ago ! So how dare you have the temerity to tell me I am a foreigner there !

I dare to say it because your location (Pinner) indicates you do not reside in Scotland, and it is only the Scots who reside in Scotland who get a vote in this referendum. I, too, have Scottish blood, though it came from a couple of generations back. Yet since neither of us resides in Scotland it doesn't matter whether one was born there and later moved, or their great grandmother was born there and subsequently moved. Anyone who does not currently reside in Scotland is as foreign as I am for present purposes.

Last edited:
Play nice. In any case, hoping the best outcome for all concerned.

Some humor, maybe?

The Onion is a highly sarcastic online fake news magazine and from it's feed today, here is a sendup of Cameron on the referendum.

This is sarcastic and the humor will not be for all as it contains a mental health issue. Don't bother if you are sensitive on the subject of suicide.

But it made me chuckle after all I have read here and elsewhere about Cameron's efforts on behalf of the referendum.
David Cameron To Scottish People: ‘I’ll Kill Myself If You Leave’ | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

:previous: The general consensus (particularly across all "flavours" of the media) is that both speeches made by Cameron were good - hit the right note esp considering that the conservatives are disliked in Scotland. Took guts to say what he did.

Yes, I think at this stage some lightheartedness is needed, because it is almost crunch time and my nerves are getting frayed. Is anyone staying up all night tomorrow to find out the result? The announcement is expected around early morning here in the UK.
I keep thinking of all our overseas friends - in the US particularly - who have to burn the candle at each end to watch a royal wedding. What do I need for an all night TV watching marathon apart from coffee?! Will anyone be online here at 3.30am :eek:

Is there any way to watch Results come in online from the U.S? I do have BBC World News but don't know if they will be carrying it

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Yes, I think at this stage some lightheartedness is needed, because it is almost crunch time and my nerves are getting frayed. Is anyone staying up all night tomorrow to find out the result? The announcement is expected around early morning here in the UK.
I keep thinking of all our overseas friends - in the US particularly - who have to burn the candle at each end to watch a royal wedding. What do I need for an all night TV watching marathon apart from coffee?! Will anyone be online here at 3.30am :eek:

I will probably stay up until the point of no return. Official statement is expected c. 07:00 Friday morning.

its very tense

I almost always stay up on election nights, but for this one I don't think I will..
On the basis that i'll be better able to cope with a [God forbid] 'Yes' result, if i've had a good nights sleep !

Last edited:
I'll be following the results through the night. Regardless of the vote, the constitutional landscape of the country has changed forever.

I think the no will win it. But I am very nervous about the result. I am less confident than what I was a month ago.

I'll be following the proceedings with intense interest, and with heartfelt thoughts of those to whom the result will mean so much.

The reason I hope the Scots stay in the United Kingdom [apart from an emotional attachment to the nation of my birth] is my belief in solidarity, in a world of fewer rather than more borders and in the union itself – as the best method of sharing the rewards and risks of our collective life together on what is still a small island.

The yes case has been, [as Scottish law might put it, not proven.] The implications have not been worked through, the risks not fully addressed. What’s more, a decision of such gravity – to break away from a 300-year-old union – should be the settled will of a nation. The very fact that Scottish opinion is so closely divided is itself a weakness in the case for independence. Moves of such import should command enduring and overwhelming support, and that has not yet proved to be the case.

I hope I shall wake up on the morning of the 19th to find that the Scots have chosen not to divide these islands irrevocably.

Last edited:
I don't think you're going to win. Stop a Union of 300 years would be a disgrace to the United Kingdom.
I'm nervous about the result, I hope the Scots think again before voting.

Back
Top Bottom