The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-08-2014, 12:34 PM
Royal Highness

I wonder, if Scotland leaves the UK, will the Spanish government be able to resist holding an independence referendum in Catalonia, which is far more likely to vote for separation than Scotland ? What about Flandres and Belgium ? Can Scottish independence boost separatist movements throughout Western Europe ?

PS: Note that both Catalan and Flemish separatists support a republican form of government to replace the monarchy.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:56 PM
Nobility

Mbruno, that is precisely one of the reasons why Scottish membership in the EU is not a guarantee. There is a strong belief that the Spanish and Belgian governments would oppose Scotland's admission to the EU because it would encourage the separatist movements in their own countries.

That issue, along with the currency issue and the fact that Alex Salmond is no more a monarchist than the US is a monarchy, would make me vote no. But it's not my vote to cast as I'm only an American of mixed European descent (albeit with a lovely Scottish last name and a firm appreciation for that part of my heritage).

Old 09-08-2014, 02:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnystar View Post
Mbruno, that is precisely one of the reasons why Scottish membership in the EU is not a guarantee. There is a strong belief that the Spanish and Belgian governments would oppose Scotland's admission to the EU because it would encourage the separatist movements in their own countries.

That issue, along with the currency issue and the fact that Alex Salmond is no more a monarchist than the US is a monarchy, would make me vote no. But it's not my vote to cast as I'm only an American of mixed European descent (albeit with a lovely Scottish last name and a firm appreciation for that part of my heritage).
At the same time also the democratically elected governments of Belgium and Spain will be faced with a fait accompli. Dare they to ignore the outcome of a fully legal and democratic process? This while Belgian or Spanish politicians went to Maidan Square in Kiev to support demonstrators whom overthrew a democratically elected president and Government? It would be interesting on which grounds Belgium and Spain will block the entrance of Scotland while they did allow Slovenia, Croatia, etc. to enter the Union.

Note also that the Spanish and Belgian Governments have not uttered any word about the Scottish case. All what we have heard and read were interpretations, expectations and opinions from outsiders.
Old 09-08-2014, 02:36 PM
Serene Highness

Brussels has 'form' is rejecting 'fully legal an democratic proceeds'...

It refused to abide by Irelands referendum results, and simply bombarded the Irish with [Publicly paid for] propaganda until it got the result it wanted...
Old 09-08-2014, 02:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Sure, but here the government of an EU memberstate facilitated a fully legal and democratic referendum. When the outcome would be that Scotland should become an independent country and the remaining UK and the new state have reached an agreement on how to do the split in a prudent and responsible manner, there is no way the EU will block a prosperous North-European state from a membership while opening doors for Albania or Ukraine.

Anyway, I think the Scots will, with a narrow margin, vote for continuation within the Union. The problem will be that when such a margin is so narrow, the question will keep returning, with all unrest. Maybe it is better to split and live in harmony, two neighbouring thrones under one King. It happened before: the Kings of the Netherlands were Grand Dukes of Luxembourg as well.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:31 PM
Serene Highness

The EU has pronouced [in Olympian, magisterial terms] that there will be NO further accession counties accepted for membership until 2025... To allow 'intergration' to proceed smoothly [a pronouncement worthy of 'the BORG']. So good luck with that Scotland, Albania, Ukraine & Turkey...

The EU has had its hands burned badly by its 'Imperial overstetch' escapades in Kiev, and since the 25 existing members agree on [practically] nothing it is probably better for it to 'take stock', and do nothing precipitate .
Old 09-08-2014, 03:50 PM
Majesty

I do not think that the EU is rich enough to bail out Ukraine. Some of the 25 existing members do not want to hurt their economies any further. Scotland and Turkey, which has good cultural and economic relations with Kazakhstan and burnt badly resolving the Syrian situation and dealing with the hypocritical western regimes, could follow Finland's example and profit from it.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

What is Finland situation in the EU?
And speaking of Ukraine cam someone point me to a thread about the situation that has erupted there earlier this year, I'd there is one?
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 09-08-2014, 04:00 PM
Majesty

To the best of my knowledge, Finland is a neutral country that maintains business dealings with both the Russian Federation and the EU/other western countries on equal terms. The Ukrainian situation will completely off the topic.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:59 PM
Serene Highness

Click image for larger version

Name:	independence.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	292320
Old 09-08-2014, 05:33 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Prince William today suggested the growing threat of Scottish independence was more important than the news his wife, the Duchess of Cambridge, was expecting again.
The Duke said Catherine, who is suffering acute morning sickness, was ‘feeling okay’ after a ‘tricky few days’.
But he added: ‘It’s important that we all focus on the big news and the big international and domestic things that are going on at the moment. That’s what my thoughts are at the moment.’
The remarks could be seen as a direct Royal intervention into the looming independence referendum just days after sources said the Queen was ‘concerned’ at the surge in support for separation.
Prince William urges people to focus on 'domestic' news rather than Royal baby joy | Mail Online
Old 09-08-2014, 05:34 PM
Majesty

It sounds from the polls that the majority of scots (although by not much) will say yes in 10 days time. I wonder if it becomes independent if it will become just like Australia or Canada which have the queen as head. I very much doubt about the house of Alba being invited to claim the Scotland throne!

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 09-08-2014, 05:44 PM
Courtier

The funny thing is this poll is from YouGov which was showing the biggest no lead from all the polls and now suddenly shows a yes lead. But another poll from a pro yes pollster shows a no lead of four points.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:48 PM
Royal Highness

The Windsors are supposed to be neutral, but they have been sending clear signals that they are worried about Scottish independence from the UK. How are voters reacting to statements like the one above by Prince William ?
Old 09-08-2014, 05:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
The Windsors are supposed to be neutral, but they have been sending clear signals that they are worried about Scottish independence from the UK. How are voters reacting to statements like the one above by Prince William ?
no reaction at all. In the mix of events worldwide and domestic, a married couple having a 2nd child is not news. Most people in the UK would agree. ITs only royal followers and royal journos who take it v seriously as news

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 09-08-2014, 05:56 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

His comment was a generic reference to domestic and international events and nothing specific about Scotland at all so nothing wrong in his statement. His reference to 'domestic' matters could just as easily have related to the Invictus Games as to the Scottish issue.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:05 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
no reaction at all. In the mix of events worldwide and domestic, a married couple having a 2nd child is not news. Most people in the UK would agree. ITs only royal followers and royal journos who take it v seriously as news
It is pretty obvious to me that Prince William was not exactly referring to a "mix of domestic events", but clearly had the Scottish referendum in mind at least as far as the "domestic side" of his comment is concerned. My question was how voters react to the Royal Family's sending signals that they oppose independence when they are supposed to be neutral .
Old 09-08-2014, 06:12 PM
Serene Highness

Who can tell Mbruno.. those who wish to break up the UK will say its 'grist to their Mill'.. Those who don't will be pleased... and vote accordingly...
Old 09-08-2014, 07:36 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
It is pretty obvious to me that Prince William was not exactly referring to a "mix of domestic events", but clearly had the Scottish referendum in mind at least as far as the "domestic side" of his comment is concerned. My question was how voters react to the Royal Family's sending signals that they oppose independence when they are supposed to be neutral .

Well what's obvious to you isn't obvious to everyone else. I imagine most of the monarchy thinks that the UK is stronger together, which it is. But The Queen is used to this, not so close to home perhaps but a country should do right by it's people. If it's what Scotland wants that's that. The Queen nor the Monarchy won't away anyone's minds.

William's comments were about the wider societal picture right now. Do you think with Catherine's HG, he's even read the YouGov poll? I doubt it.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:24 PM
Courtier

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/5781448

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Tags
referendums, scotland, scottish independence