Portraits of the British Royals

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
fanletizia said:
A handout picture released April 18, 2006 by artist Jemma Phipps shows a new portrait of Britain's Queen Elizabeth II. The portrait was commissioned by the Ascot authority to celebrate the Queen's 80th birthday and the completion of the redeveloped racecourse at Ascot in southern England

from yahoo/reuters

I don't like this portrait. I think that the portrait should have been done in a different position, such as relaxing on a sofa with soft lighting and perhaps a fire going. She looks too stuffy and extremely old and haggard looking.

Post Your Royal Art

Normally I post picture portraits, but this time I have a painted one: Princess Anne painted by the Henry Mee, I do not really like the colours, what do you think about it?

21bpqg4.jpg

(RM)

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's another one that is kind of strange in my eyes. You can also see the artist who painted it back in 1988: Michael Noakes.

23rlh7n.jpg

(RM)

This is a great picture, Iceflower, for various reasons. I like the fact that the artist is there and I think the expression on his face plus his body language is wonderful. I also think it's a wonderful pic of the (then) Duke & Duchess of York. I've never seen this portrait. I wonder why it's not more popular in terms of being circulated by the media. I think it captures the relaxed relationship between Andrew & Sarah that carries over to this day. And the fact that they're in casual comfortable clothes rather than stuffy gala wear is also indicative of their relationship. A good photo all around, IMO.

Bella, once more I really enjoyed your power of observation!

I wrote “strange” but actually meant in a way like “unusual”. The painting is very realistic, so it has it’s special charm and I share your opinion about the artist. By the way the portrait was destined to hang in the city of York :)

iceflower said:
Bella, once more I really enjoyed your power of observation!

I wrote “strange” but actually meant in a way like “unusual”. The painting is very realistic, so it has it’s special charm and I share your opinion about the artist. By the way the portrait was destined to hang in the city of York :)

Thank you, Iceflower. Does the picture hang anywhere now or was the display cancelled after their divorce? It's a shame if it's not displayed 'cuz it is a great portrait.

Newbie! Lichfield photo?

Hi I'm a newbie!

I'm looking for the photo of The Queen that was released by her after Lord Lichfield died. It is one he took that was his favourite of her but she never allowed it to be released until now.

It is the one of her in full ball gown sitting on some steps laughing at a letter from her children. I have searched and searched for it but not found any images online.

Does anyone have a copy of it online or know where I can see one? Just want to show my mum as I think it is a wonderful photo.

Thanks!

Neeky said:
I'm looking for the photo of The Queen... It is the one of her in full ball gown sitting on some steps laughing at a letter from her children. I have searched and searched for it but not found any images online.
I know the photograph you are talking about and you are right it is wonderful. However, i don't remember ever seeing it on the internet but i will have a look for you.
Perhaps someone else knows where to find it.

Amy said:
I know the photograph you are talking about and you are right it is wonderful. However, i don't remember ever seeing it on the internet but i will have a look for you.
Perhaps someone else knows where to find it.

I have not seen the photo on the internet, but I know I have seen it in a book or magazine...issued long before Lord Lichfield's death by the way. However, I have over 220 books about HM and her family and years of Majesty magazines, so I know I won't be able to put my hands on the source right away. If I find it in one of them, though, I'll let you know.

It's also possible that I've seen it as a still in one of the documentaries about the Queen.

What great pictures you've all taken on this thread! Thanks for posting them.

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I've been wondering exactly to what uses all the formal photographs are put. (You know--the ones taken by Cecil Beaton, Antony Armstrong-Jones, Patrick Lichfield, etc.) Are they taken for newspapers and magazines, or what? (I'm referring to the camera pictures, not the paintings--I know that those are often commissioned by organizations, etc.)

Kathy G.

Last edited:
iceflower said:
...the following pics, taken by Cecil Beaton. Margaret, one of the great beauties of her generation:
What a lovely picture! Thanks for posting it.

Again, forgive me if I come across as dense, but hey, what I can say? I don't live in Great Britain! =) LOL. But I just wanted to clarify. You say they're taken both for public and private family use. Not hard to guess that the family copies get posted on the walls, in photograph albums, etc., but what, exactly, is the public use of these official photos that are taken by professional photographers? Newspapers? Magazines? To include in biographies?

Kathy G.

A majestic tomb for a majestic woman. Thanks for posting this. I'd never seen anything pertaining to the Queen's tomb.

Ianna said:
Some portraits made by famous painter, best known as portraitist; Alejo Vidal-Quadras .
These are really nice, Ianna. Thanks for posting them. I think the one of the Duchess of Windsor is VERY flattering to her. Are these in a museum or privately owned, do you know?

Bella said:
These are really nice, Ianna. Thanks for posting them. I think the one of the Duchess of Windsor is VERY flattering to her. Are these in a museum or privately owned, do you know?

I would say privately owned. (Vidal-Quadras made several portraits of Monaco's Princely family and same can be seen on the Palace's walls, so I assume this ones are also in private property)

This is my portrait favorites' one of Queen, always with the caught hands and looking strongly and courage toward her future (Royal Collection Site).
http://i18.tinypic.com/32zjgnc.jpg

Last edited:
The last pic you posted is wonderful. I've never seen it before. In it, the Queen appears plenty of worth.

Vanesa.

This pic is from the Golden Jubilee, 2002.
I like it very much as it's with several generations: the Queen, Philipp, Charles and William:

TinyPic - Share The Experience!™

LONDON - APRIL 25: Artist Sergei Pavlenko poses in front of his painting, The Royal Family on the steps of Old College at Royal Military Academy Sandhurst at the occasion of the commissioning of Prince Harry, for media at the Royal Society of Portrait Painters Annual Exhibition at the Mall Gallery on April 25, 2007 in London, England

Fotobanka isifa image service
Fotobanka isifa image service

LONDON - APRIL 25: Portrait of HRH The Prince of Wales by Georgina Barclay is seen during the Royal Society of Portrait Painters Annual Exhibition at the Mall Gallery on April 25, 2007 in London, England.

http://legacyeditorial.gettyimages.com/source/search/details_pop.aspx?iid=73969948&cdi=0

LONDON - APRIL 25: Portrait of The Royal Family on the steps of Old College at Royal Military Academy Sandhurst at the occasion of the commissioning of Prince Harry by Sergei Pavlenko is seen during the Royal Society of Portrait Painters Annual Exhibition at the Mall Gallery on April 25, 2007 in London,

http://legacyeditorial.gettyimages.com/source/search/details_pop.aspx?iid=73969914&cdi=0

The Portraits thread

This thread is now up to 14 pages and includes many images which could more accurately be described as 'posed photographs' and thus should be in the individual's thread. As a result, many picture threads are lacking in content; for example the Duke & Duchess of Gloucester picture thread had nothing in it at all.

The British Moderators have been checking to ensure all members of the Royal Family have appropriate picture threads (either "news and pictures" for more low-key members, or "pictures" for the others). Some threads have been renamed, eg the Gloucester news thread is now "news and pictures", which includes old pictures.

Could contributors to this thread please consider whether their images are 'portraits' or posed photos. If the latter, please post them in the person's picture thread.

Over time, some of the posts in this thread will be moved to more appropriate homes.

thanks,
Avalon, Elspeth, Warren & ysbel

Yes the portraits of Diana, The Princess of Wales is very nice, but that blouse looks like its about to engulf her.

I think this lovely--
http://www.gov-gen.govt.nz/gallery/media/image43.jpg

And another--I'm not sure if she is Queen yet in this portrait, but it is lovely, too.
http://worldroots.com/brigitte/gifs/queenelizabeth160.jpg

Princess Elizabeth, 1933,
http://worldroots.com/brigitte/gifs/queenelizabeth161.jpg

And another,
http://www.artnet.com/Artists/LotDetailPage.aspx?lot_id=A73C2319BDADF60EEC7AA7B419DC39EE

And, quite possibly, one of my very favorite portraits of HM The Queen--beautiful!
http://www.solarnavigator.net/embas...Elizabeth_portrait_Canberra_head_of_state.jpg

I could do this all day, but I'll stop for now.

HRH Princess Louise Margaret, Duchess of Connaught & Strathearn

DuchessofConnaught.jpg

Princess Luise Margarete was born in 1860 as a Princess of Prussia. She married the 3rd son of Queen Victoria, Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught and Strathearn, in 1879.

She also served as Viceregal Consort of Canada, when her husband served as the Governor General of Canada from 1911 to 1916.

During the First World War her family connections placed her under great stress, and she died in 1917.

Last edited:
Gosh, this painting is just wonderful ! The blury background makes Princess Luis Margarete even more imposing.
Thanks for posting Madame Royale :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom