The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-13-2016, 02:47 PM
Heir Apparent

I love this completely and utterly. It's lovely and lively and reps her well!

Old 05-07-2016, 04:09 AM
Heir Apparent

Anger at ‘awful’ new portrait of grim-faced Queen | Royal | News | Daily Express

Old 05-07-2016, 04:29 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Looking at the portraits, it seemed to me to be more or a caricature being done in "monarch mode" rather than an actual portrayal of HM.

Could be worse and his muse could have been a monarch's face as she fell asleep at the 2010 Olympics.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down happy. They told me I didnt understand the assignment, and I told them they didnt understand life.
― John Lennon
Old 05-07-2016, 04:58 AM
Heir Apparent

This artist hasn't got the shape of the Queen's face right. He's made it almost masculine whereas the Queen's face is softer and more rounded. Few portraits of Elizabeth have captured her though, so Dan Hall's just one among multitudes.
Old 05-07-2016, 05:59 AM
Royal Highness

Artist who created 'Spitting Image' Queen portrait unveils another painting of Her Majesty - and it looks exactly the same*

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/d...-ZLenGRumA.jpg
Quote:
n artist whose portrait of the Queen was criticised for looking like a Spitting Image puppet has unveiled a new painting of the monarch, which looks almost exactly the same as the first.

Dan Llywelyn Hall was much-maligned for his expressionist-style painting in 2013, commissioned to mark the 60th anniversary of the Coronation.

The portrait, which showed the Queen sitting in an ornate chair with her hands in her lap, was condemned for its lack of realism and even compared to a drag queen by critics.
It was awful.

Quote:
His latest effort shows the Queen sitting in the same position wearing the same red dress, but from a different angle.

It will be at the centre of an exhibition showcasing around 20 portraits of Great Britons in London.

The Welsh artist said the new painting "makes a different statement", and was not a response to the criticism of the first because he had worked on the two royal portraits at the same time.

He said the small number of people who had seen it said they could "relate to it more" and thought there was a "greater likeness".
Not much improvement.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:58 AM
Heir Apparent

What is wrong with these "artists"'s obnoxious portraits? Are they trying to ridicule royals? Or do the merely want attention?
Old 05-07-2016, 02:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

When are people going to learn that's these aren't official portraits, but very artistic portraits of the painters design? I like it.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 05-19-2016, 08:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Kelly Mathews @allthingsregal
New portrait: Catherine Duchess of Cambridge sends a message of support to attendees at #ICPCNCon2016 RT @srconnor

https://twitter.com/allthingsregal/s...13466548097025
Old 06-22-2016, 06:23 AM
Heir Apparent

Attitude @AttitudeMag
Exclusive new portrait of Prince William for Attitude's July Issue - in shops today:

https://twitter.com/AttitudeMag/stat...42806437933058
Old 06-28-2016, 03:12 PM
Imperial Majesty

Portrait of The Duchess of Cambridge by Ralph Wolf Cowan-
World of Windsor : hrhtheduchessofclarence: Ralph Wolf Cowan...

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-28-2016, 03:17 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Portrait of The Duchess of Cambridge by Ralph Wolf Cowan-
World of Windsor : hrhtheduchessofclarence: Ralph Wolf Cowan...
The Duchess of Cambridge hasn't been awarded any UK order, has she ? Why is she portrayed wearing a sash then ?
Old 06-28-2016, 03:28 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Odd. Very odd. Also, what is odd is that in the link given to the portrait, it says duchessofclarence.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down happy. They told me I didnt understand the assignment, and I told them they didnt understand life.
― John Lennon
Old 06-28-2016, 03:53 PM
Royal Highness

Ralph Wolf Cowan is reponsible for the tackiest royal portraits ever.
Just a look at some of his work will make you cringe ... big time !

http://ralphcowan.weebly.com/uploads...458893.png?218

http://toc.h-cdn.co/assets/16/16/480...s-of-wales.jpg
Old 06-28-2016, 04:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
The Duchess of Cambridge hasn't been awarded any UK order, has she ? Why is she portrayed wearing a sash then ?
It's a portrait that he made up. Obviously Catherine don't have the Garter nor the Spencer Tiara.

I think it's very beautiful and creative.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-28-2016, 04:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Portraits of the British Royals

The sash is the wrong way on Kate's and there is a diamond maple leaf brooch on it. He should of used the polar bear one 😉

The painting all look like when the do Disney princess drawings as a person

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 06-28-2016, 04:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
The sash is the wrong way on Kate's and there is a diamond maple leaf brooch on it. He should of used the polar bear one 😉

The painting all look like when the do Disney princess drawings as a person

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Yes, it do look like a Disney drawing though. A little girls fantasy drawing, but I like it.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 07-29-2016, 06:59 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
A version of one of the most famous portraits of Queen Elizabeth I will be owned by the public for the first time after a 10 million fundraising campaign to keep it in the country.

The life-sized oil painting, one of three surviving renditions, depicts the failed invasion of England by the Spanish Armada in 1588 and is considered to be a masterpiece.

The Armada Portrait of Queen Elizabeth I features the Queen in a gold embroidered and jewelled dress with her hand resting on a globe, while the English fleet enjoys calm waters and the approaching Spanish fleet is wrecked in a storm.
Read more: Fundraising campaign secures famous Queen Elizabeth I portrait - BT
Old 09-03-2016, 12:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Painter Alan Blevins had a brush with the law after creating an artwork featuring the Queen and a naked Prince Philip.

The talented artist, whos also a well-known singer-songwriter, loves quirky ideas and decided to use the Royals as his subjects in an imagined scene of them on holiday.

His resulting painting shows the Queen dressed in blue and seated more traditionally in a chair while a full-frontal of the unclothed Prince in the foreground just spares his blushes.

Knowing the Duke of Edinburgh is reported to have quite a sense of humour, 58-year-old Alan, of Newcastle, decided to send off a postcard-size version of the painting to the royal household itself.

And it seems that sense of fun extends to the Palace police too - as Alan was stunned to receive a phone call from them.

It was a surprise, he admits.
Read more: Royal police get on the case of Newcastle artist who painted a naked Prince Philip - Chronicle Live
Old 09-03-2016, 12:48 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Ralph Wolf Cowan is reponsible for the tackiest royal portraits ever.
Just a look at some of his work will make you cringe ... big time !

http://ralphcowan.weebly.com/uploads...458893.png?218

http://toc.h-cdn.co/assets/16/16/480...s-of-wales.jpg

Awful! Paintings fit for a Barbara Cartland novel-bookcover
Old 09-03-2016, 12:58 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
When are people going to learn that's these aren't official portraits, but very artistic portraits of the painters design? I like it.
Every artist has the right to create his own interpretation of something. I personally love portraits of a person that looks exactly like them at that moment in time. Almost photo-like. That to me is almost impossible to create unless extremely skillful. A proficiency not many achieve in their craft. But, every artist can interpret what his eyes see and how he want the world to see his subject. Not everyone's cup-of-tea, but his.

Tags
british royal family, portraits