Portraits of the British Royals

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree, one of my favorites too.

h1iz.jpg

I wanted to share some of my work with everyone on here, this is my latest painting, a portrait study of King George VI.

(I double checked with Warren if it was okay to post and he suggested this thread).

All I ask is that you do not take and repost elsewhere without my prior permission.

Isaac: Thanks for sharing, this is excellent.

I want to know if this is tryical of your ourve? And do you work from photos or ???

I fascinated by your choices with focus/depth of field and would admit - that reminds me a bit of Titian (not a bad thing at all).

TNX again. Bertie is such an excellent subject, IMHO.

This painting is absolutely wonderful in my opinion. You've captured George VI as I think most would imagine him to be. In my imagination, I see this man in moments before a radio broadcast quietly saying a prayer and he's very pensive and trying to collect himself before doing something he's always had a fear of doing and that is public speaking.

Thank you so much for sharing this with us.

Thank you for the kind comments on my art.

It is always a bit nerve wracking when I show a new piece to people as in the past I've had complaints that my work is too realistic or it doesn't count as real art because I'm self taught.

Now to try and answer AdmirerUS, I tend to do portraits and am currently working on a series of Royalty themed pieces, this one of King George VI is the fourth in that series the other three being his father King George V and Tsar Nicholas II and Prince Michael of Kent.

I use loads of different references, anything from a postcard to a photograph (no matter how old) to still from a news reel or interview. Main thing is that there has to be something that jumps out and shouts "use me"

And I agree Bertie is such a wonderful subject to paint.

Add me to the list of people impressed by your painting. I had to look twice to make sure I was looking at a painting and not a photograph.

Where can we see your other work?

Now to try and answer AdmirerUS, I tend to do portraits and am currently working on a series of Royalty themed pieces, this one of King George VI is the fourth in that series the other three being his father King George V and Tsar Nicholas II and Prince Michael of Kent. /QUOTE]

Please do share these with us if/when you are comfortable. So jealous of your talent!

Since you all asked so nicely, here are some other paintings I've done of members of the British Royal Family

1mj7.jpg

One of the first paintings I did of any royalty, King George V based on an old postcard.

zfnb.jpg

Another portrait of King George VI wearing his Admiral of the Fleet uniform.

rtsy.jpg

I couldn't paint King George VI without doing one of his much beloved wife Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother.

Absolutely breathtaking!!! :heart:

I totally agree.. all I can think is **WoW!**. I've seen a lot of portraits in my years but its rare I see them capture what is the essence of the person. The one of QEQM is 100% her right down to the twinkling eyes and an amused chuckle.

Thank you so much for sharing these with us!

Thank you for sharing your paintings with us, Victorian-Dandy. They are outstanding, you're an excellent artist. :flowers: I think my favourite is the one of The Queen Mother, it has a very happy and bright atmosphere and would cheer me up on a bad day.

My question is probably off-topic here, but have you painted any of the European or Middle Eastern royals? :)

Last edited:
Photoshop is really cool. It allows a person to apply painting effects to pictures.

Photoshop is really cool. It allows a person to apply painting effects to pictures.

That probably would be the extent of my artistic talent too these days. I did a portrait of Gordie Howe in charcoal once and I guess it was close enough to being good for someone to steal it but other than that, I'm all thumbs.

Our Victorian Dandy is a truly adept portrait painter and I would love to see HM's expression if she was able to see his portrait of her mother.

I don't manipulate images I use what skill I have to replicate the reference I use to the best of my ability.

Please feel free to click on the link in my signature and it will take you to my tumblr account where you can see my other work which you will no doubt dismiss as "photoshopped"

New portrait of the Duchess of Cambridge. You will love this one!

Kelly Mathews ‏@allthingsregal 25m RT @MajestyMagazine Duchess of Cambridge portrait gift via Macleay Island artist http://www.bordermail.com.au/story/2208208/duchess-kate-portrait-a-gift-from-macleay-island-artist/ … #RoyalVisitNZ pic.twitter.com/mkQYMJjPco
EDIT: David Wells, the artist, was kind enough to let me know the original photo from which the work proceeded was by Tim Rooke for Rex Media. You might know Mr. Rooke from his cover photo of Harry in dress whites and blue beret on the cover of Tattler. Yes, that cover.

Last edited:
Now that is a beautiful portrait. It is definitely realistic and is way better than the others I have seen. This artist should be given a medal for his excellent work.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using The Royals Community mobile app

My paternal grandmother has always liked this portrait.
Her favorite tiara is the Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara.

It's a very beautiful portrait indeed. The tiara is a great piece but I find it sad that it hasn't been seen since Diana last wore it in the early 90's. I'm hoping at least Catherine will pull it out, dust it off and wear it someday.

Since you all asked so nicely, here are some other paintings I've done of members of the British Royal Family

1mj7.jpg

One of the first paintings I did of any royalty, King George V based on an old postcard.

zfnb.jpg

Another portrait of King George VI wearing his Admiral of the Fleet uniform.

rtsy.jpg

I couldn't paint King George VI without doing one of his much beloved wife Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother.

These are stunning!! The difference between the first one of Bertie and the one of him in full Naval Dress Uniform is so strikingly sad. Between the strain of taking on a job he was not prepared for and the stress of the War years just aged him beyond his years. :(

I love the one you've done of Her Late Majesty. That smile and twinkle in the eyes....Now that's The Queen Mum we all remember w/love. It's just lovely and perfect.

Thanks for sharing your talent w/us and look forward to more. :)

It's a very beautiful portrait indeed. The tiara is a great piece but I find it sad that it hasn't been seen since Diana last wore it in the early 90's. I'm hoping at least Catherine will pull it out, dust it off and wear it someday.

Dman, Hopefully Catherine Elizabeth will wear the magnificent tiara someday.
After all the tiara has Cambridge in the title {Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara}. Also her title is The Duchess of Cambridge.

I personally think that's a pretty fabulous photo of HM. She has such a twinkle in her eye! One of those photos that just makes me want to smile back at it.

Back
Top Bottom