The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-28-2012, 12:17 PM
Heir Apparent

I think it's a great reflection portrait of The Queen. I also like the gown she's wearing. She's in the same spot were she was crowned and it looks like she's refecting back to that day.

I think it would've been great if she was wearing her Diamond Diadem.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:33 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post

The Queen doesn't need a crown to show she's a Queen; it's obvious within seconds of looking at this painting that this is a leader who has dedicated herself heart and soul to her coronation oath she made on that exact spot. For me, it's one of the best portraits of HM for many a year.

Another good assessment. Interesting, isn't it, the various responses we have.

There's a way we look at things like this, applying metaphor from our own emotional and personal perspective. I really love that yours is "The Queen doesn't need a crown." Clearly this artist has rendered something that resonates within your heart ... not much more can be asked of a piece of portraiture.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

It is very personal. In addition to what our feelings about the monarchy bring to the viewing, we also bring our ideas of aging, death, power, women, religion, etc.

I saw the "Queen without a crown" as a metaphor for a queen who is close to passing on the crown to the POW. But to see it is a queen without need for the symbols of leadership is just as valid. Well said!
Old 09-28-2012, 05:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

The reaction I've seen across the British news sites has been almost universally glowing for Mr Heiman's portrait of HM, which is amazing when you think about it for a modern day portrait painter.

I wonder if this might do for Ralph Heiman's career what this famous, almost universally loved portrait of the Queen did for Pietro Annigoni? He went on to paint Popes and US Presidents among others.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:25 PM
Aristocracy

My first response to it, before any *thought* was "wow". A positive "wow".

Heimans is one of my favourite artists. His site has an ability to zoom in and out to see details. Here is the Queen's portrait on his site. There are several very excellent portraits available for viewing.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for posting his website. His portraits are just amazing and I really like the ones of Crown Princess Mary. Now I want him to do my portrait, lol.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:00 PM
Administrator

The Portrait, and detail

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Portrait 2012.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	286586   Click image for larger version

Name:	Portrait detail.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	286587  
Old 09-29-2012, 04:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

It certainly does HM justice. I hope I'll be able to pop over to London to see it when it's back in the UK next year.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:51 PM
Serene Highness

the concept of portraitist Heimans reminds me of the scene in "The Queen" where Elizabeth is alone in the forest, while the men in her family are hunting, and she comes face to face with another "ruler", a stag alone. I think it's fitting to show here as a regal figure alone in the venerable abbey where is a symbol of the royal family's rule.
The rendering of the abbey seems a little photographic rather than expressive, but it also shows the solid reality of this amazing building, which most of us never see because it is full of people, who cover the space on the floor scene here, or the choir stalls in the background. I remember these stalls from the wedding of William and Catherine, and the exquisite music produced by the choir, and selected by the bride and groom, who have good and learned musical taste unappreciated, apparently, by those who think of Kate primarily as a wearer of stylish clothes.
The Queen in this portrait is NOT especially a wearer of anything. No crown, not much in the way of royal insignia. Just a human woman who became a symbol in herself.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:10 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel1 View Post
the concept of portraitist Heimans reminds me of the scene in "The Queen" where Elizabeth is alone in the forest, while the men in her family are hunting, and she comes face to face with another "ruler", a stag alone.
Excellent analogy.

Also a good observation about the photo-realism of the architectural elements versus a more expressive human element. It creates a powerful contrast.

Good review, I enjoyed it.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:39 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by selrahc4 View Post
Portrait of HRH The Princess Royal by David Cobley
souce: David Cobley

I hardly recognized Anne there! There's a lovely portrait of her at 1:17 in this video.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:30 PM
Heir Apparent

National Portrait Gallery - Mario Testino: British Royal Portraits

Mario Testino's Display at The National Portrait Gallery: 3 October 2012 - 3 February 2013.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

If this was shared earlier, I apologize - but I just saw this sketch of Her Majesty for the first time and I love it. It was done by Dame Laura Wright in 1950:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/...74_306x417.jpg

DM also did an article about its auction: Rare charcoal sketch of The Queen when she a 23-year-old princess to be sold at auction | Mail Online
Old 10-04-2012, 03:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
National Portrait Gallery - Mario Testino: British Royal Portraits

Mario Testino's Display at The National Portrait Gallery: 3 October 2012 - 3 February 2013.
Testino always brings out the best from his sitters. Thanks for the link.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
If this was shared earlier, I apologize - but I just saw this sketch of Her Majesty for the first time and I love it. It was done by Dame Laura Wright in 1950:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/...74_306x417.jpg

DM also did an article about its auction: Rare charcoal sketch of The Queen when she a 23-year-old princess to be sold at auction | Mail Online
Thank you for the link, AdmirerUS, I hadn't seen this before. I think the sketch is beautiful, although, is it just me or has the artist given the young Princess Elizabeth a hint of a 5 o'clock shadow?
Old 10-04-2012, 03:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
Thank you for the link, AdmirerUS, I hadn't seen this before. I think the sketch is beautiful, although, is it just me or has the artist given the young Princess Elizabeth a hint of a 5 o'clock shadow?
LOL - I had not noticed. I was struck by her eyes and lips. She was quite the dish in her youth!
Old 10-17-2012, 02:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Oh I do like this new portrait of the Duke of Edinburgh

http://www.royal.gov.uk/List%20Image...gineering1.jpg
Old 10-17-2012, 03:10 PM
Serene Highness

It is easy to see the Duke has the blood of kings in his veins.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Old 11-07-2012, 09:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Tags
british royal family, portraits