Peter Phillips Wedding 2008: the Royal Family, Hello! Magazine and "Freebies"

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
is it today that the new issue of hello comes out?? has anyone bought it yet??? i have to wait for a week for it to get to where i am :(

I can normally buy Hello on a Tuesday but it isn't in shops around here today. May be a delay due to wedding

its quite worrying because on the hello website, they havent even got the preview of the magazine!!!! argh when will we know?? when will all the rumours be settled???

The product that Peter is selling his connection to a 1000 year old monarchy that is currently in trouble and cannot benefit from the fact that its image is now being sold as a commodity by a family member. An institution that because of Peter's private and normal upbringing and through no fault of his own, he has done nothing so far in his life to contribute to its longevity and success. The prestige of the royal family is not his to sell or give away, and in my humble opinion, he should have respected his grandmother more and been more understanding of her difficulty in maintaining the relevance and dignity of the monarchy and refrained from selling the rights that only came about because of his relation to her.

I fear the monarchy is not strong enough to withstand acts like this. When family members are so keen to sell their royal connections so freely, it really makes a mockery of their protests of former servants like Paul Burrell who profit from their slim connections to royalty.

I cannot believe the Queen has given Peter no financial assistance in his life whatsoever. I suspect he did the wise thing and put the money away in savings rather than waste it on a big wedding.

But if he did that, he didn't need the big wedding. Peter is not royal; there was no constitutional need for him to have a big and expensive wedding.

I think your being a bit judgemental here. Because of Peter's relation with his grandmother, his wedding required a lot of things that other weddings do not... Her family is not rich, his mother it appears may not be rich, so how were they suppose to pay for things? Are they just suppose to not invite his own Grandmother to the wedding?

The fact is a lot of celebrities do exactly what Peter did.. They sell their rights to pictures of their weddings, so that they can control what photographers are there, and what pictures go out...Many then donate the proceeds to charity, but in Peter's case if he needed it to fund his wedding so what? And honestly, what the British perfer it went things went back to the old days where the tax payers would more than likely pay for the Queen's grandson's wedding? Because those may have been the two options (or Granny paying)

The point is I don't think this is the royal family really selling out, but I could be wrong...

Last edited:
Once again, it was not a big wedding, it was a family wedding and the House of Winsor is a very large, very close family. Autumn's family is also not small and is blended in much the same way as Peter's. Add in a few friends and there you have it.

The Bride and bridesmaids wore affordable gowns much to the chagrin of the stylish elite, the church was no big ticket item and the carriage that drove them away was curtesy of Granny. Hell my nephew and his new bride left the church in a carriage, it's romantic but no big deal..

I don't know, Marg, if the wedding was that affordable, I'm thinking that Peter and Autumn hardly needed the money from Hello magazine. To be honest with you, I don't know for a fact that Peter cut the deal with Hello because of lack of money to fund his own wedding but whatever reason he decided to do the deal, I suspect it wasn't a good enough reason and I fear it can have reprecussions for the royal family in the future.

I understand bekalc's point of the celebrity angle of selling rights to your wedding but celebrities are in the business of marketing their image and their lives for money and these days the normal celebrities aren't seen in too good a light which tends to prove the point that the celebritization of royalty can't be good for the reputation of royals.

I somehow imagine that if Peter had presented the Queen with two alternatives: a style wedding that he couldn't afford with the Hello deal paying for it and a smaller more private affair in one of the Queen's chapels then the Queen would have opted for the latter choice. They might not have been able to squeeze in both of the families in a small chapel; however, they wouldn't have been the first couple that had to drastically cut down the guest list because they couldn't afford to host a large wedding and invite everbody. Again, I don't know whether lack of money was really the only reason Peter decided to do the Hello deal.

But enough of that. It looked like a beautiful wedding and I simply wish that Peter hadn't paid for it the way he did.

Hello! is out this morning and it includes lots of lovely pictures. However what strikes me is that apart from the coverage about the couple, Peter and Autumn, it's more or less a promotion for Kate becoming the next royal bride as there are lots of pictures and close ups of her included. Hello! usually does a lot of sugary coverage in this direction but I found it a bit bold on this occasion.

I know that you probably can't post a scan because of copyright but could you describe the pictures, please, and summarise the article? :flowers: I don't think I can get my hands on a Hello magazine here.

I understand the anger and I do find these pictures partly intrusive. I expect similar pictures from Wayne Rooney's wedding in a few weeks' time but even though it was a private wedding there is a line that should not be overstepped when the Queen is present. I understand Anne rejected any titles for her children to enable them to promote themselves etc (what happened here), this is one side to look at it. On the other hand the monarchy is clearly being "commoner-ized" with this deal what doesn't do the institution any favours. There should have been found a more balanced solution, this is very obivious cashing in on being a member of the Royal Family. If there is no difference anymore between commoner and royal attitudes we can well get rid of the institution for good.

I still don't see the problem. In Denmark the both the princes and their fiances were interviewed several times before their weddings and at various other important times. Whatever is with this " The Queen and the Royal Family is a commodity which the government owns and sets all rules for contact"! I thought the ideas of owning people was called slavery. :whistling:

How dare Mr Phillips expose HM and the BRF to this?

Last edited:
I don't the it's the problem that Peter and Autumn gave a pre-wedding interview or published pictures of the celebrations. The problem is that they got payed because they allowed one single magazine to exclusively cover this event. It looks like Peter exploited his position as member of the Royal Family to make money. This will never get down well with the public.

I still don't see the problem. In Denmark the both the princes and their fiances were interviewed several times before their weddings and at various other important times.

The problem is not doing the interview or exclusive pictures but selling it to papers for a substantial amount. Royal protagonists (in this case Queen, Duke, Princes of Wales) would never do this, no matter what country. Mr & Mrs Phillips don't have a royal title therefore can cash in the same way footballers do but they clearly take advantage of the presence of the Queen. The pictures are quite intimate and when I saw it this morning I thought that they were not only selling their privacy but also the privacy of those royal protagonists. Hello! has been behaving as if they were kind of exclusive royal correspondents for some time now but I think this coverage is a bit over the top. As I said before it's more or less "We proudly present Peter & Autumn whose marriage by the way was the test run for the future Queen Kate, isn't she lovely on all those pictures, and you better get used to the thought that she will be Wills' bride very soon"

The problem is that they got payed because they allowed one single magazine to exclusively cover this event.
And inviting the whole rat-pack papazzi was actually a viable option? :doh:

Isana said:
It looks like Peter exploited his position as member of the Royal Family to make money.
Peter is the Queen's eldest grandson. Nothing can change that. He just is who he is. Unfortunately the moment he got engaged he went from private citizen to public (paparazzi) property. :photo:

Like sharks in the water, the press smelled blood. The Queen's eldest grandson was going to get married. Woopi, yousa, yousa! There's money in them there nuptials and we gunna get it come hell or high water! :hiding:

They can run but they cannot hide so, what's a man to do . . . if you can't beat 'em, join 'em, or at least try and maintain some semblance of control. Who can blame them? :D

Isana said:
This will never get down well with the public.
Well, speaking as a member of said public, it doesn't bother me. I am just greatful for what they were willing to part with. :wub:

I firmly believe that had the Queen objected Peter and Autumn would have pulled the plug. :nonono: In fact, I wouldn't mind guessing that the idea of the press paying them tickles them all! :ROFLMAO:

It seems like a bad case of the snits for the rival media and 15 minutes of fame for some pompous, pontificating, low rent MP's!:baby:

Last edited:

Peter is the Queen's eldest grandson. Nothing can change that. He just is who he is. Unfortunately the moment he got engaged he went from private citizen to public (paparazzi) property. :photo:

Like sharks in the water, the press smelled blood. The Queen's eldest grandson was going to get married. Woopi, yousa, yousa! There's money in them there nuptials and we gunna get it come hell or high water! :hiding:

They can run but they cannot hide so, what's a man to do . . . if you can't beat 'em, join 'em, or at least try and maintain some semblance of control. Who can blame them? :D

Well, speaking as a member of said public, it doesn't bother me. I am just greatful for what they were willing to part with. :wub:

I firmly believe that had the Queen objected Peter and Autumn would have pulled the plug. :nonono: In fact, I wouldn't mind guessing that the idea of the press paying them tickles them all! :ROFLMAO:

It seems like a bad case of the snits for the rival media and 15 minutes of fame for some pompous, pontificating, low rent MP's!:baby:
Totally agree MARG, I have no problem with it at all and am wondering if I can get someone to pay for the youngest's wedding (if we ever manage to palm her off), so that I can keep my ill gotten gains for myself! :ROFLMAO:

Totally agree MARG, I have no problem with it at all and am wondering if I can get someone to pay for the youngest's wedding (if we ever manage to palm her off), so that I can keep my ill gotten gains for myself! :ROFLMAO:

Try to match her to a filmstar (Daniel Craig?) or archduke/prince Amedeo of Habsburg-Lothringen/Belgium. That should help a lot! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I didn't see the paparrazzi causing any problems at Charles and Camilla's wedding.

MARG} Peter is the Queen's eldest grandson. Nothing can change that. He just is who he is. Unfortunately the moment he got engaged he went from private citizen to public ([I said:
paparazzi[/I]) property. :photo:

Gosh, you are overplaying the significance of this wedding. For the press to have cared would have meant that there was a huge amount of public interest and quite frankly there wasn't.

MARG said:
So not supporting your view makes somebody "low-rent"?! How nice.....

So not supporting your view makes somebody "low-rent"?! How nice.....
Only if you are one of the snitted uninvited media or a pontificating politician. :whistling:

Last edited:
How nice for Norman Lamb and his constitutents. Do you actually know anything about the man or are you just going to malign his character anyway?

Peter Phillips Wedding, the Royal Family and Hello! Magazine

Should the royal family have agreed to appear in HELLO! magazine for Peter phillip's and Autumn Kelly's wedding? The couple were paid £500,000 for the pictures from the wedding which featured the Queen, Prince Philip, Prince Charles and Prince Harry among other royal family members?

Personally i think it sets a dangerous precendent for media intrustion, i mean how can the royal family now call for privacy at similar evens in the future after this? Especially Peter and Autumn - this makes them "fair game" for the media.

Has anyone bought Hello yet? I wonder if its available in the US now too.

Has anyone bought Hello yet? I wonder if its available in the US now too.

The US is usually two weeks behind - at least this is what my local Barnes and Noble have told me.

-Ayvee

I have just read hello and I can't believe the access they had to EVERYTHING! Pics of the ceremony; the reception; cutting the cake; first dance, the lot. I was surprised to see that the Royals we saw on the steps were the only ones who were there ie no Michaels of Kent, Duke of Kent, Lady Helen, Alexandra etc. Sophie was photographed at the reception along with Harry so I don't know about that ban on taking pics of the Royals. However even if that was the case in the Church itself the whole Royal family was well photographed so I suppose they did turn out to be part of this deal after all.

the only reason the mail is banging on about it is because they could never, in their wildest dreams, score an exclusive like this!

Like sharks in the water, the press smelled blood. The Queen's eldest grandson was going to get married. Woopi, yousa, yousa! There's money in them there nuptials and we gunna get it come hell or high water:hiding:

can i just sat i think that their was less intrest in this wedding than some of the previous is that a number of the british public dont know who peter is, or only know his name and who is mum is and dont give a :censored: about who he is or what he does and dont even know what he looks like, then their are those of us who know who the majoraty of royals are by name and picture and/or name only and go :w00t::w00t2::wacko: at an event such as this, yes the fact that they sold out to hello will and is creating a discussion about whether they should or shouldent of done it. i think that they did it not to upset or anger any one but to say yes we got married heres a few pics for the public see you at the next event sort of thing and tried to control it by selling to hello. im not saying what they did was right or wrong but its their wedding and their lifes and their desision to do this and we just watch with interest.

I think that it has somewhat made Peter and Autumn "fair game", but from the way the media has made it sound, not many of the senior royals were too thrilled about it. I think that it was wise on Autumn and Peter's part to pay for their wedding, because otherwise they wouldn't have been able to, but that it was a bit... tacky...

It appears that the most senior member of the royal family that was actually pictured in Hello was Prince Harry, so I don't think it's teh sort of "media crisis" that it was made out to be. The spread was mostly focusing on Kate Middleton and Chelsy Davy if you ask me.

But I understand what you;re saying... :)

You can see some of the pages from the spread here:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/769306-post413.html

can i just sat i think that their was less intrest in this wedding than some of the previous is that a number of the british public dont know who peter is . . . . .
I think that the interest is more about who he married, a Canadian. While most people may not be interested, the paparzzi certainly are or they wouldn't be whining quite so much and obviously it has also provided a platform for political discussion - so far, in the negative. :flowers:

Thank you for the photos, randomlyKeira. It certainly looked as if everyone had a splendid time.

I think that most criticism of the Philips' selling their photos comes from an indignant press which was excluded. Whatever the rights or wrongs of the situation which I'll leave for others to judge, I enjoyed seeing the photos which otherwise I wouldn't have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom