Order of the Garter, Ceremonies and Information 1: 2003 - 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is not given on the basis of friendship but for service, distinction, and philanthropy. All previous PMs within HMQs reign have been made KGs so to omit TB and GB would be quite a snub, and I dont think she would do that. But they are still only in their 50's so time enough.

Tony Blair will be 60 years old next month, he's just two years younger than the Duke of Westminster, who is a Knight of the Garter.

I would not be surprised if Blair become a Knight of the Garter next year.

I have always been surprised that Princess Margaret was never given the Order of the Garter. She was the daughter of the King, and HMQ has handed it out to all of her children.

Last edited by a moderator:
But she did make her sons wait until well into their 40s to get it.

I have always been surprised that Princess Margaret was never given the Order of the Garter. She was the daughter of the King, and HMQ has handed it out to all of her children.
And she gave it to all her three working cousins..This shows that The Queen is very strict and impartial about Order of The Garter, and maybe she (as sovereign, not sister) was never completely satisfied with Princess Margaret's "sense of duty"..Perfectly justifiable though..If she had worked atleast a tenth as much as Anne does, sparing us of all the soap opera escapades in"quest for love",the BRF image during the "revolutionary" 60s and 70s would have been quite different, I guess..

I expect Harry to be made a Knight of the Garter either this year or next (30th bday would be appropriate).

As she made her own younger sons wait until their 40s I hope that she doesn't give it to Harry any earlier than she did give it to them.

Of course if she doesn't survive that long it will allow Charles to honour one of his own sons - which would be far better in my opinion. The Queen has been able to give the honour to all 4 of her children and 1 grandchild so it would be nice to leave 1 of Charles' sons for him to so honour and will allow Harry to actually earn the award like Andrew and Edward had to do.

Well, The Queen has already made her Garter announcement for this year. Perhaps Harry will be made a Garter Knight at some point. There are two spots open at the moment.

I don't think Harry will be made a Garter until his father is King. I also don't think Charles will make Harry wait until their 40's like Andrew and Edward had to. He is quite keen to point out who the main family are, and including Harry in the Garter service will only highlight that.

I also don't think Catherine will be given the RFO for a while yet, but you never know! Sophie got it in 2004 after the birth if Louise and it was first seen in Mary and Fred's wedding May 2004. When did Camilla receive the RFO?

Well, The Queen has already made her Garter announcement for this year. Perhaps Harry will be made a Garter Knight at some point. There are two spots open at the moment.
There does not need to be a spot open for Harry to be made a KG. British royals are Extra Knights and Foreign royals are Stranger Knights neither of which have any limitations on their numbers. The 2 vacancies are for Knights Companions which do have a limited number,

A few posts ago I wrote something about Queen not making Princess Margaret Lady of Garter. And that too after making all her three working cousins KG/LG.I opined that she must not have been convinced that Margaret deserved that Order. Upon that, in 60s-70s, in the prime of her "work-life", when she could have been made one, Margaret had a very controversial public life, running her own soap operas.. so much that the Parliament openly preferred Pss Alexandra to represent the Queen abroad..

What do you guys think about this? Any other reasons/logics?

There is no convention that senior Princesses of the British Royal House are made members of the Order of the Garter...

Victoria, Princess Royal and Empress of Germany, eldest daughter of Queen Victoria, was not awarded the Garter;
Louise, Princess Royal and Duchess of Fife, eldest daughter of Edward VII, was not awarded the Garter;
Mary, Princess Royal and Countess of Harewood, only daughter of George V, was not awarded the Garter;
Margaret, 2nd daughter of George VI, was not awarded the Garter.

However, in the latter part of her reign Elizabeth II has set a precedent with two appointments:

Anne, Princess Royal, only daughter of Elizabeth II, was awarded the Garter (1994).
Princess Alexandra of Kent, 1st cousin of Elizabeth II, was awarded the Garter (2003).

Of course it should also be remembered that from 1488 until 1901 when Edward VII made his wife, Alexandra a Lady Knight the only female members of the order were the Queens' Regnant. George V and George VI followed that precedent and made their wives Lady Knights. The only other lady knights in the 20th Century were other monarchs.

In 1987 The Queen made it possible for other ladies to be made Lady Knights and has added a number of Lady Knights since then - both royal - Anne and Alexandra and Margaret Thatcher and Lady Soames.

What a wonderful video,I really liked the clip of HM.The Queen asking the young boys about a letter she wrote back to them,I'm not sure if Her Majesty said she doesn't or does trust the post :D

Yes, I do remember the European Monarchs who are members of the Order gathering for the ceremony. I thought it would've happened again during the Diamond Jubilee celebrations but it didn't.

The Monarchs gathering for the Golden Jubilee and Garter ceremony took place in 2002: Search - Getty Images : Order of the Garter June 2002#

Of the foreign Monarch's present I could make out King Juan Carlos I,the then Queen Beatrix and Margrethe II of Denmark,King Harald Of Norway and also Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg (no longer a monarch since 2000) .I didn't see the King of Sweden?

I'm hoping that Princess Beatrix might attend this year.

I haven't heard anything about any of the Sovereigns attending. I do think it would've been nice if they could create a gathering like that again.

I haven't heard anything about any of the Sovereigns attending. I do think it would've been nice if they could create a gathering like that again.

I was thinking that she might attend cos she wasn't a sovereign with the inherant duties

That would be great if Princess Beatrix (boy it feels funny to say that) could participate in the Garter ceremony this year.

That would be great if Princess Beatrix (boy it feels funny to say that) could participate in the Garter ceremony this year.

This is just my supposition but perhaps she will participate. She does head to London quite often to visit her son Friso and perhaps she'll plan a visit to work in attending the Garter ceremony. I wouldn't be surprised.

^^^ well she is in the UK at present attending the Bilderberg meeting in Watford, so I read in a newspaper article today

I wonder if Charles will walk with the Queen at this years ceremony as Philip sadly wont be there, or will the Duke of Kent do the honour.

Is Catherine attending this years service?

Catherine's attendance to the Trooping is confirmed, but as for the Garter we still don't know.

Maybe, the Duchess wakes up that morning feeling great (not big-great, but in fine fettle :p), has something that still fits and fits the occasion and she decides to attend. Sitting around the house waiting is not much fun!

On the other hand, she wakes up tired and distracted. She is infinitely pleased she did not committ to the event. Smart lady move! I'd be playing it by ear, too.

I would imagine Catherine wont attend, as she wouldn't ride in the carriage. I will be very shocked if she rides in the carriage at Trooping the Colour as well. Sophie didn't ride in the carriage for Ascot in 2007 when she was pregnant (though it had not been announced) and she didn't attend Trooping or the Garter service.

Maybe, the Duchess wakes up that morning feeling great (not big-great, but in fine fettle :p), has something that still fits and fits the occasion and she decides to attend. Sitting around the house waiting is not much fun!

On the other hand, she wakes up tired and distracted. She is infinitely pleased she did not committ to the event. Smart lady move! I'd be playing it by ear, too.

At this point I have to agree with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom