Order of the Garter, Ceremonies and Information 1: 2003 - 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pity that Camilla sticks to her usual daily jewels.

Tony Blair receiving the Garter for exactly...what?! Lying about the war in Irak?

I’ll be curious to see which star of the Order of the Garter the Duchess of Cornwall will use. Pity the star is hidden beneath the robes. Perhaps a jeweled star from the Queen Mother or Queen Mary?

Tony Blair receiving the Garter for exactly...what?! Lying about the war in Irak?

It is best to keep political statements out of this forum. Tony Balir was PM for 10 years, and it is customary for former PMs to receive the Garter.

I can see from the Daily Mail photos that Camilla’s children Tom and Laura were present. From what I can tell Laura’s 3 children were also there. What a special day for them all!

This Garter Service history since its foundation in 1348 by Edward III

Last edited:
I can see from the Daily Mail photos that Camilla’s children Tom and Laura were present. From what I can tell Laura’s 3 children were also there. What a special day for them all!

They were indeed. It would have been nice for them to be stood next to Catherine and Sophie for what is a very special event for them.

I always think William looks rather uncomfortable at this ceremony, and perhaps thinks the whole thing is a bit ridiculous. A lovely 'warm moment' between him and Catherine though, and her smile and laughter helps to lighten him up I'm sure!
While the Order and religious service are obviously important to many, I can't help but think these processions may feature less during his reign.

I thought this was a Royals Forum.
Well, talking off topic things like terrorist attacks, the ukrainian war or discussions about non-royal celebrities for instance don`t occur to me very royal either... At least Mr, sorry - Sir Blair, was awarded with a very ROYAL order, founded once by a legendary english KING and today appeared among ROYALTY in the largest inhabited CASTLE to become a knight....:whistling::whistling:

Camilla really proves there is no giant hat she cannot wear, doesn't she?

Andrew apparently did attend the installation of new knights and lunch but was told not to be part of the (public) procession. At least, several sources suggest that Charles and William intervened and made their concerns known to the queen who in the end yielded to her heirs. Of course it was presented as a 'personal decision'. Nonetheless, the decision came too late for the programme/order of service that already included his name.

See for example:
The Telegraph
People
The Sun
Daily Mail

Last edited:
Andrew apparently did attend the installation of new knights and lunch but was told not to be part of the (public) procession. At least, several sources suggest that Charles and William intervened and made their concerns known to the queen who in the end yielded to her heirs. Of course it was presented as a 'personal decision'. Nonetheless, the decision came too late for the programme/order of service that already included his name.

See for example:
The Telegraph
People
The Sun
Daily Mail

The order of service used didn't include Andrew's name

The order of service used didn't include Andrew's name

So, they printed a new sheet to be inserted in the order of service as the above tweet responds to a twee of the original order of service that did include his name for the procession and put William ahead of both Andrew and Edward but now he walked with Edward instead.

Did the Duke of Kent and Princess Alexandra attend today? I ssw Zenouska Mowatt so I presume she was with her Grandmother but I didn't see Alexandra at the church.

Did the Duke of Kent and Princess Alexandra attend today? I ssw Zenouska Mowatt so I presume she was with her Grandmother but I didn't see Alexandra at the church.

Their names were not on the order of service, so I don't think they attended.

Mmm I wonder why Zenouska was there then as there would be no reason if Alexandra wasn't present. Perhaps the Princess arrived by car due to mobility issues.

Look again in the later edition of the order of service

Look again in the later edition of the order of service

Thanks! I didn't see the final line stating that both of them were present in the Chapel but not processing.

I always think William looks rather uncomfortable at this ceremony, and perhaps thinks the whole thing is a bit ridiculous. A lovely 'warm moment' between him and Catherine though, and her smile and laughter helps to lighten him up I'm sure!
While the Order and religious service are obviously important to many, I can't help but think these processions may feature less during his reign.

Agreed. During William's investiture in 2008, Harry and Kate were obviously laughing at him, while William was throwing them dirty looks. I remember thinking that he wasn't loving being there. I don't think much has changed in the intervening time.

Mmm I wonder why Zenouska was there then as there would be no reason if Alexandra wasn't present. Perhaps the Princess arrived by car due to mobility issues.

Princess Alexandra (and the Duke of Kent) were present, but did not process to the Chapel. They were taken their in a golf buggy. Zenousks was probably there as Alexandra's plus one.

Tony Balir was PM for 10 years, and it is customary for former PMs to receive the Garter.

Indeed (and it was even formerly customary for former PMs to receive peerages). There was already concern over Elizabeth II "blocking" Tony Blair's honours for so long, as the optics of living former Conservative prime ministers holding the highest order while the living former Labour prime ministers did not were potentially problematic.

https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f23/the-honours-thread-8379-23.html#post2445605

Well, talking off topic things like terrorist attacks, the ukrainian war or discussions about non-royal celebrities for instance don`t occur to me very royal either... At least Mr, sorry - Sir Blair, was awarded with a very ROYAL order, founded once by a legendary english KING and today appeared among ROYALTY in the largest inhabited CASTLE to become a knight....:whistling::whistling:

The following was posted by an administrator after a discussion about royals' views on the Afghan war: https://www.theroyalforums.com/foru...rum-issues-17746-post2421233.html#post2421233

Sir/Dame is prefixed to the given name, so the new Knight of the Order of the Garter is styled Sir Tony Blair or Sir Tony.

See for example:
The Telegraph
People
The Sun
Daily Mail

The spokesperson of the Duke of York presented it as a "personal decision" while the spokesperson of Buckingham Palace presented it as a "family decision", per the reports.

Last edited:
Tatiana Marie.
I really don’t want this to become an issue.My initial observation was not meant to be sarcastic or disrespectful to the poster, just to highlight that this is a forum to discuss the royals. The poster’s response was, I thought, unnecessary, but hey ho!

Is it me or is the sun always shinning on Garter Day at Windsor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom