Order of the Garter, Ceremonies and Information 1: 2003 - 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Duke & Duchess of Cambridge & the Earl & Countess of Wessex Curtseying and Bowing to The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh's departing carriage at the Order of the Garter Service-
World of Windsor : Photo

Minding your Manners

In watching the video that DMAN posted (#582), it stuck me that the Duke of Edinburgh, always the gentleman, duffed his cap as his carriage drove away. Most of the younger Royals did not, or could not be bothered to, do so - except Edward. Prince Andrew made an oh so subtle tip of his hat. I am pretty sure the Duke of Kent doffed his cap as well (hard to tell but he was hatless as he drove away) but he is of the save vintage as the DofE.

It sort of surprised me because they usually tend to "get these things right". It is a shame if some of these "basics" are lost because, IMHO, much of etiquette of manners trickle downward and if one generation does not continue to do so the next will surely not.

A shame really.

I know Garter Day is over now but I have a question - does anyone know why the Emperor of Japan is always made a stranger knight? Since Emperor Meiji, every emperor has been a stranger knight...

I know Garter Day is over now but I have a question - does anyone know why the Emperor of Japan is always made a stranger knight? Since Emperor Meiji, every emperor has been a stranger knight...
"Stranger Knights" are foreign sovereigns.

I know what stranger knights are - the focus of the question was more on the Japanese aspect. Why is the Emperor of Japan always made a stranger knight (as opposed to any other foreign sovereign that might be made a stranger knight)?

Britain went into an alliance with Japan in 1902 which would account for the Emperor Meiji and his son being 'stranger knights'. Hirohito was made a stranger knight as well when Britain and Japan were allies. He was stripped of his Garter as a result of Japan's aggression in the 30s and 40s but was re-instated when Britain and Japan were friends again and he visited the UK. Tradition would therefore mean that as the two countries are close allies and friends that they acknowledge that relationship with the highest order of knighthood.

Royal Central ‏@RoyalCentral 22m22 minutes ago
The Order of the Garter was founded by in 1348 by Edward III.

Royal Central ‏@RoyalCentral 21m21 minutes ago
The Garter ceremony began in 1948 when King George VI brought back formal installation for the first time since 1805.

Royal Central ‏@RoyalCentral 20m20 minutes ago
The Order of the Garter
procession to begin soon at Windsor (via @emynash)
https://twitter.com/RoyalCentral/status/610434460698345474

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 3h3 hours ago
So no Kate or George at Garter today, I understand. We'll have to focus on the Knights of the Garter instead.

Last edited:
Royal Central ‏@RoyalCentral 22m22 minutes ago
The Order of the Garter was founded by in 1348 by Edward III.

Royal Central ‏@RoyalCentral 21m21 minutes ago
The Garter ceremony began in 1948 when King George VI brought back formal installation for the first time since 1805.

Royal Central ‏@RoyalCentral 20m20 minutes ago
The Order of the Garter
procession to begin soon at Windsor (via @emynash)
https://twitter.com/RoyalCentral/status/610434460698345474

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 3h3 hours ago
So no Kate or George at Garter today, I understand. We'll have to focus on the Knights of the Garter instead.

Getty Images -Garter Service 2015

Queen Elizabeth Ii Order Of The Garter Pictures & News Photos | Getty Images

I was surprised Catherine didn't attend the Garter service, since she did attend Trooping of The Colour. I haven't seen many pictures of the royal ladies attending either.

I was surprised Catherine didn't attend the Garter service, since she did attend Trooping of The Colour. I haven't seen many pictures of the royal ladies attending either.

I agree, I think she should have attended. She has been at the Trooping and the polo last weekend, I think she should have attended the Garter service as well.

I agree, I think she should have attended. She has been at the Trooping and the polo last weekend, I think she should have attended the Garter service as well.

She may not have wanted to leave Charlotte with the nanny for a third day in a row. She's technically still on maternity leave

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

She may not have wanted to leave Charlotte with the nanny for a third day in a row. She's technically still on maternity leave

Perhaps that is the reason why she didn't attend. She's got two kids to juggle now. I just thought she would have made it to the Garter service. Hopefully she's getting back into her official duties now.

Perhaps that is the reason why she didn't attend. She's got two kids to juggle now. I just thought she would have made it to the Garter service. Hopefully she's getting back into her official duties now.

I think it will be some time still. Charlotte is six weeks old and standard maternity leave is at least 12 weeks, often much longer. I imagine we'll see her at the big things but it will take longer for her to start doing her normal engagements.

Charlotte's only five weeks old, I very much doubt Kate is going to be resuming many royal duties any time soon. I wouldn't consider Trooping to be an indication that she's getting back to things yet - I suspect she attended that in large part for family reasons (as it's the Queen's official birthday, and they also decided that it was time for George's first balcony appearance).

I wonder why The Duke of Edinburgh missed the Garter Service?

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community

Kate didn't go to see her husband at the Garter Ceremony because she was obviously too exhausted after running around after George at the polo. Ceremonies like the Garter are rather boring.

I imagine Kate didn't go because she is still on maternity leave. If I'm remembering correctly, it was stated that she would be on leave for a few months - at least for most of the summer. She more than likely attended Trooping for two reasons. One because it's a family celebration and two because it was George's first time on the balcony.

The media seemed upset she wouldn't go... It was not certain nor confirm, so they simply let themselve down...

The white lace dress the Queen is wearing is the same dress she wore to the Opening of Parliament.

Video:
The Queen was joined by senior members of the Royal Family for the annual Order of the Garter service today. Garter Knights walked through the grounds of Windsor Castle into St George's Chapel wearing their blue velvet robes and black velvet hats with white plumes. The Queen, the Duke of Edinburgh, the Prince of Wales, the Duchess of Cornwall, the Duke of York and the Duke of Cambridge were among the royal party-

Home - ITNSource News

I think it will be some time still. Charlotte is six weeks old and standard maternity leave is at least 12 weeks, often much longer. I imagine we'll see her at the big things but it will take longer for her to start doing her normal engagements.

Yeah, I know it'll take some time, but hopefully she'll start getting back into things. At least doing an engagement here and there.

Last edited by a moderator:
A Garter ceremony from the late 80s

From Warren's Collection...

"Juan Carlos the 970th!"
Author: Hugo Vickers
Source: Royalty Magazine
Published: August 1989

What time is the event? Late afternoon? Who is expected to be there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom