Order of the Garter, Ceremonies and Information 1: 2003 - 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I'm no garter expert but I'll take a stab at this question because I know for sure that the extra knights companion and ladies of the order, which are other countries' royals, do not always attend. For example, Emperor Akihito of Japan is an extra knight companion and I don't recall him attending recently. Feel free to chime in if you know differently.

None of the stranger nights came last year. I think the last time any of them attended was for the Golden Jubilee (and I don't believe Emperor Akihito was there for that).

To answer a question further up, the British royal website states that there are only 24 regular companions, and I counted 24 in the list, so I doubt we'll see anybody new this year, royal or not.

We won't. That would have been announced in April.

Thanks to everyone who tried to answer my question as best as possible. I do hope William shows up or else I have this feeling the press will somehow manage to turn it against him.

It's already on the official diary on the Prince of Wales site, William is attending the Garter ceremony this year.
Thanks, I have no idea why I didn't check the site beforehand. Don't mean to turn this into a Wills/Kate thread but I wonder if Kate will attend.

Thanks to everyone who tried to answer my question as best as possible. I do hope William shows up or else I have this feeling the press will somehow manage to turn it against him.

It's already on the official diary on the Prince of Wales site, William is attending the Garter ceremony this year.

Members of the Order for the 15th June Service.

Sovereign of the Order

HM The Queen

Ladies of the Order

HRH Princess Ann, The Prince Royal
HRH Princess Alexandra, The Honourable Lady Ogilvy

Royal Knights Companion

HRH Prince Philip, The Duke of Edinburgh
HRH Prince Charles, The Prince of Wales
HRH Prince Edward, The Duke of Kent
HRH Prince Richard, The Duke of Gloucester
HRH Prince Andrew, The Duke of York
HRH Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex
HRH Prince William of Wales

Extra Knights Companion and Ladies of the Order

HRH Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg
HM Margrethe II, Queen of Denmark
HM Carl XVI Gustaf, King of Sweden
HM Juan Carlos I, King of Spain
HM Beatrix, Queen of the Netherlands
HIM Akihito, Emperor of Japan
HM Harald V, King of Norway

Officers of the Order

Prelate - The Bishop of Winchester
Chancellor - The Right Honourable Lord Carrington
Register - The Dean of Windsor
Garter King of Arms - Peter Llewellyn Gwynn-Jones
Gentleman Usher of the Black Rod - Lieutenant General Sir Frederick Viggers
Secretary - Patric Laurence Dickinson

Companions (maximum 24)

The Most Noble Hugh Denis Charles, Duke of GRAFTON

The Right Honourable Gordon William Humphreys, Lord RICHARDSON OF DUNTISBOURNE

The Right Honourable Peter Alexander Rupert, Lord CARRINGTON

The Most Noble Arthur Valerian, Duke of WELLINGTON

Field Marshal the Right Honourable Edwin Noel Westby, Lord BRAMALL

The Right Honourable Matthew White, Viscount RIDLEY

The Right Honourable John Davan, Lord SAINSBURY OF PRESTON CANDOVER

The Right Honourable John Francis Harcourt, Lord ASHBURTON

The Right Honourable Robert, Lord KINGSDOWN

The Right Honourable Sir Ninian Martin STEPHEN

The Right Honourable Margaret Hilda, Baroness THATCHER

Sir Timothy James Alan COLMAN

The Most Noble James, Duke of ABERCORN

Sir Erskine William GLADSTONE, Bt.

Field Marshal the Right Honourable Peter Anthony, Lord INGE

Sir Antony Arthur ACLAND

The Most Noble Gerald Cavendish, Duke of WESTMINSTER

The Right Honourable Frederick Edward Robin, Lord BUTLER OF BROCKWELL

The Right Honourable John, Lord MORRIS OF ABERAVON

Mary, The Right Honourable Baroness SOAMES

The Right Honourable Thomas Henry, Lord BINGHAM OF CORNHILL

The Right Honourable Sir John MAJOR

The Right Honourable Richard Napier, Lord LUCE

Sir Thomas Raymond DUNNE

I think that, in some way, HM had her reservations about Sarah. :ermm:

Sarah was only married for such a short time and remember the actual marriage before separation was only 7 years.

My statement about Sarah was a sarcastic remark to how she behaved when she was a royal. That is why i believe Sarah never got one.

Can't wait for the ceremony this year.
x

It says in the British Monarchy website:

A limited number of tickets is available for members of the public to watch the procession to St. George's Chapel from inside the precincts of Windsor Castle.

Applications must be sent between 1 January and 1 March each year to:

The Superintendent
Windsor Castle
Windsor
Berkshire SL4 1NJ

Where can we get the application form? Or we only need to send a letter saying we want to be there and be lucky??

Thanks!

I just sent a letter last year.

It would be interesting to hear what others thought about the likelihood of Tony Blair being invited to join the Garter. There are already two former PMs who are Garter knights..........

Where can we get the application form? Or we only need to send a letter saying we want to be there and be lucky?? Thanks!
You should write in the third person presenting you compliments and requesting that tickets be sent when the ballot is held

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be interesting to hear what others thought about the likelihood of Tony Blair being invited to join the Garter. There are already two former PMs who are Garter knights..........

He may very well get offered a knighthood at some time in the future when there is a vacancy but I suspect that he would turn it down.

He may very well get offered a knighthood at some time in the future when there is a vacancy but I suspect that he would turn it down.

I was not clear: Are you suggesting that Blair might turn down a kknighthood, or an opportunity to be a Garter Knight? Either way, why do you think that?

I was not clear: Are you suggesting that Blair might turn down a kknighthood, or an opportunity to be a Garter Knight? Either way, why do you think that?

I think that being married to a staunch republican and one who himself undermined a lot of the role of the monarch and wanted to do more he would see it as hypocritical to accept a title from a monach he would like to see end.

I think that being married to a staunch republican and one who himself undermined a lot of the role of the monarch and wanted to do more he would see it as hypocritical to accept a title from a monach he would like to see end.

I don't think the monarch "that he would like to see end" would even offer him to be a member of the Order at all.

I don't think the monarch "that he would like to see end" would even offer him to be a member of the Order at all.

I agree that Tony Blair is unlikely to be offered a role as a Garter knight in a hurry by HM. That said, I do think that if offered, he would accept it. Whilst Cherie was clearly a republican, my sense was that Tony's motives were more about centralising power at no 10 for his presidential style of government as opposed to an ideological difficulty with the concept of monarchy.

So I'm curious with the actual church service are members of the public allowed to watch or is it a private service because I was reading RoyalProtocol's post from a few years and it seemed like members of the public were allowed in but I wasn't too sure.

So I'm curious with the actual church service are members of the public allowed to watch or is it a private service because I was reading RoyalProtocol's post from a few years and it seemed like members of the public were allowed in but I wasn't too sure.
A limited number of tickets is available for members of the public to watch the procession to St. George's Chapel from inside the precincts of Windsor Castle.

Applications must be sent between 1 January and 1 March each year to:The Superintendent
Windsor Castle
Windsor
Berkshire SL4 1NJ

The Garter Ceremony

If you are a subscriber (friend), you can also apply, or of course connected to the school/college/employed

Pics 15.6.2009

Here's a picture gallery from zimbio:

Royals Attend Order of The Garter Service

As every year it all looked quite impressing :)

So far I've seen the Queen, the Duke of York, Prince William,
the Duke of Edinburgh, the Earl of Wessex, Princess Anne, the
Duchess of Cornwall and the Duke of Gloucester attending. But
I guess more members of the family were there as well.

Last edited:
The Countess of Wessex was there, riding in the carriage beside Princess Anne.

Todays event were as splendid as ever. Camilla looked beautiful extremly radiant but I thought she had recieved the order of the garter or was I wrong?
:flowers:

No, Camilla has not received the Order of the Garter. None of the spouses of The Queen's children have it.

No, Camilla has not received the Order of the Garter. None of the spouses of The Queen's children have it.

Ahh thank you. Are they allowed to recieve the order? I know Prince Phillip did before he was married it think? :flowers:
I really wish that Sophie and Camilla were given the order.

Ahh thank you. Are they allowed to recieve the order? I know Prince Phillip did before he was married it think? :flowers:
I really wish that Sophie and Camilla were given the order.

I imagine that Camilla might be made a Lady of the Garter if Charles inherits the throne, but I can't imagine The Queen bestowing the honor on her. There aren't many Ladies of the Garter to begin with, even supernumerary royal ones like Anne or Alexandra, and royal spouses, with the exception of the consort, don't seem to make the cut.

I imagine that Camilla might be made a Lady of the Garter if Charles inherits the throne, but I can't imagine The Queen bestowing the honor on her. There aren't many Ladies of the Garter to begin with, even supernumerary royal ones like Anne or Alexandra, and royal spouses, with the exception of the consort, don't seem to make the cut.

Traditionally the only ladies who marry into the RF who get the Garter are the Consorts to Kings, starting with Queen Alexandra in 1901, followed by Mary in 1910 and Elizabeth, the Queen Mother in 1936. From that precedent I would assume Camilla will get the Garter when Charles becomes King but that Sophie will never get it.

Has Zara Phillips received the Order of the Garter?

I was fortunate to be in the crowd at Windsor Castle for the Garter procession in 1982. A co-worker had received tickets through the lottery (we both applied but she was the lucky one) and she was unable to go at the last minute. So I went with my Mom. As part of the crowd we were able to watch the parade to the Chapel and the carriage procession after the service. The tickets were gorgeous--they were printed on fancy cardstock. To be honest I can't remember if we were able to hear the service via loudspeakers or not. It seems like we were but the sound was not the greatest.

I couldn't believe how close we were to the actual participants. So close that I could tell that the Queen wears face powder. It was a really magical day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom